HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part VIII): Still no decision with Doan

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
im assuming Rupp gets scratched when Gabby comes back
You can scratch who ever you want on that 4th line doesn't matter, that depth!!!!

Old
07-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Whether or not its the best, when is the last time we had 4 lines who had a chance to score??

Old
07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Remember last time when Daneyko said he heard that Jack Johnson was headed to the Rangers along with Rick Nash. The Sunday afternoon before the trading deadline.

Enough.
I don't remember that.

Old
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
That's not the best overall depth unless Stepan becomes a 60+ point player this year, Dubi goes back to 50 point form, Cally scores 30~ again, and Kreider scores 25~ goals. No guarantee as to those things.

It's a deep team, but I can't say it's THE deepest.
not trying to be a hard ass or a dick but show me a deeper line up.

Old
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
What has Kreider done to deserve such a standing? If he was a dealbreaker for Kopitar, should he not be on the table? Eriksson? Eberle? Sharp?
Kreider has innate talent, including as to skating speed, which can't be taught past a certain level.

All of those, no.
An uber-elite yes.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
not trying to be a hard ass or a dick but show me a deeper line up.
Hags-Richards-Gabs. Kreider-stepan-Doan. Dubi-AA-Callahan. Pyatt-boyle-rupp. Callahan on third line is serious depth

Old
07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
That's not the best overall depth unless Stepan becomes a 60+ point player this year, Dubi goes back to 50 point form, Cally scores 30~ again, and Kreider scores 25~ goals. No guarantee as to those things.

Even if dubi stays the same I'd say it's up there, compare that lineup to Boston's who was widely considered the deepest team. Even if everything stayed status quo, they would be the only team who you could compare this depth too, and even they're 3rd line would be pretty distant

Last edited by jskramer83: 07-08-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Hags-Richards-Gabs. Kreider-stepan-Doan. Dubi-AA-Callahan. Pyatt-boyle-rupp. Callahan on third line is serious depth
i like the switch you made to my originally suggestion to form the pack line again by switching doan and cally. Dubi AA and Cally had some nice chemistry going on early in the season. also this way we can roll 4 lines and no one gets tired and then we can pounce on our opponent who are winded in crunch time.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...cfg9ZVPicXr3iM

Quote:
Predators’ Weber would be great fit for Rangers

Old
07-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Good article and him and Richards at the points on the PP would be sick.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:00 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I can't deal with the main board when it comes to the Nash rumors. They just don't understand that the Nash trade is not a true HOCKEY trade. He has asked to be traded, has a huge cap hit, and most importantly a NMC clause. If you think you will even get close to fair value for him, you need your head checked,
As irrantional as it can get around here at times, the main board is far worse.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

We are not getting Weber.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
As much as I love weber, any team who trades for him this year is nuts. You know that if poile is shopping him, webber is not resigning there and going to hit the free agent market where you can get a chance to get him for just cash.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:10 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
As much as I love weber, any team who trades for him this year is nuts. You know that if poile is shopping him, webber is not resigning there and going to hit the free agent market where you can get a chance to get him for just cash.

The whole deal with him being potentially being shopped is so that he can sign his next contract under the current CBA.

You can bet your ass that who ever trades for him will lock him up.

Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Its not about individual points. Its about wins.

That's solid scoring depth. Every line on any given night can be effective.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Doan
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Asham/Rupp Boyle Pyatt

If teams manage to shut down the top two lines, that third line is still effective.

Its solid depth.

Deeper than the 50+ win team last season.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

The Weber situation is not unlike the Nash situation in a way. Poile is going to make his best contract offer to Weber. If Weber declines Poile will move him. Now, no team is going to give the kings ransom unless they can be guarenteed that Weber will sign. So if a team knows Weber won't sign then they're not going to trade for him.

If Poile is looking to maximize his return he will deal Weber to a team he will sign with. No team will trade for Weber without having him re-sign. It's just stupid organizational management and doesn't make any sense.

07-08-2012, 06:15 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Quote:
I'd prefer if you'd try to keep things to one trade at a time. Try not to go over 5 players total.
I can't promise I can accommodate your preference.
This needed to be multi team process. Had to move Dubi, for example, to create space for Nash. And no, you can't assume you can --- or possibly may want to --- dump them in the same deal. (Chicago wants Dubi, will pay reasonably for him.)

Quote:
Identify a goal scorer if that's what you think we need the most--say someone like Michalek, Versteeg e.g. and try not to sell off absolutely key players that we have no replacements for.
I have mostly tried to do that, making exceptions sometimes under heading of you have to give to get, and don't want to give coke for pepsi.

Quote:
For instance Girardi is our only really fine right side defenseman. Not smart to trade.
If that is most dominant factor. But IMO, Staal is better, and if we need a sniper and Girardi must be sacrificed, I can't turn down a deal if the upgrade we get is better than what we've given up.

In my defense, most Girardi deals are for premium in return.

Quote:
Anisimov is not a good enough replacement for Stepan as 2nd line C.
Sorry but do not agree with you at all there. AA will make a boneheaded play, but he usually hustles, and is far more athletic than Stepan. If not constantly jerked around, AA would develop/flourish more quickly. I'm not giving Stepan away, but if there is a good return, I have no problem with AA as replacement.

Quote:
Consider cap figures and try to find an area the other teams might be looking for help.
Believe my proposal was cap compliant.
I specifically identified how these deals fit the other team -- CBH looking for grit, TML seeking wings w/possible pop, etc.

Quote:
Looking at the one proposal--you trade Vernace (no big loss for sure) but I suspect (I may be wrong) that you look at Vernace as 'Oh, he's got no chance at all of ever being an NHL'er so what good is he--get rid of him'. The thing is we won't have an AHL team churning out NHL caliber players if we're just playing rookies and second year players. You need veterans at that level too or those kids will get clobbered and a lot if not most will never amount to anything. There's a reason why they're there.
Can understand why you jumped to that line of thought, but no, it was not my thinking.
I thought, Vernace is a guy Edmonton MIGHT have use for, if the price is right, and he makes swallowing loss of Gernat/Marancin more easily, even though they should not be considered as actually here for 2ish years.

Quote:
I'm sure Cam Talbot thanks you for trading Biron though. The thing is Torts likes giving Henrik a rest now and again. If Talbot can't hold his own Henrik doesn't get his rest.
I believe Talbot has the reflexes to do the job. He needs poise and development. It is a fair question to ask if he gets more development playing as starter for Whale, OR.... if he is backup here, under eye of coaching staff to nip any technique issues in the bud, playing a third or so of the games, + getting tested by likes of the guys we have up here.

We are better served experimenting carefully with this now, as opposed to relying on Biron for another year or two or whenever his reflexes completely go. (Not sure he's got it for the playoffs, anymore, and as we all saw, not in dispute, Hank needs a game here and there at that point.) If Talbot completely craps the place, we can look at options.

I appreciate the outreach.
We are simply not seeing eye to eye, which is fine, as long as people can be civilized about that.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its not about individual points. Its about wins.

That's solid scoring depth. Every line on any given night can be effective.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Doan
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Asham/Rupp Boyle Pyatt

If teams manage to shut down the top two lines, that third line is still effective.

Its solid depth.

Deeper than the 50+ win team last season.
I don't think that's a given though, that we'll be better. There's scoring depth, but will Cally produce the same with less minutes? Will Kreider and Stepan be able to help take each other to the next level? What'll Hags do? Is Doan on the decline, or what?

It's not a bad team at all. I'd be happy if we went into the season looking like that. But I don't think we can say it's the deepest team in the league without seeing them together for more than a season.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Similarly, a number of Leafs' fans could see Gardiner for Thomas.
I find that extremely tough to believe. But if it is true, it's a reflection of the minds of those Leaf fans, IMO, and not the quality of the trade idea.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
The whole deal with him being potentially being shopped is so that he can sign his next contract under the current CBA.

You can bet your ass that who ever trades for him will lock him up.
Make sense I know no one will trade for him without already having an extension in place. I think I'm just tired so seeing all these trades for stars. We went from needing to add depth, to getting rid of the little depth we had to for one super line.

I really hope this isn't the case and we just keep going forward with what we have, I remember how these super lines work, was not fun.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR27 View Post
i think the offer the "noooooo" was referring to was just for Nash...
Yes. That was what I was referring to.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I still have dreams of a Weber-Staal pairing.

07-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
On Tim Thomas...

As an aside, long before the draft Thomas signed away his NTC unconditionally so the Bruins can move him anywhere they can.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...sOh-My/1/45493

anyone have another source of this information? call me crazy, but i don't put all my faith in eklund/hockeybuzz

Old
07-08-2012, 06:32 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Christian Thomas for Jake Gardiner. The one who went to Wisconsin?

Old
07-08-2012, 06:32 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
I don't think that's a given though, that we'll be better. There's scoring depth, but will Cally produce the same with less minutes? Will Kreider and Stepan be able to help take each other to the next level? What'll Hags do? Is Doan on the decline, or what?

It's not a bad team at all. I'd be happy if we went into the season looking like that. But I don't think we can say it's the deepest team in the league without seeing them together for more than a season.
Will Nash be comfortable? Will he be able to handle the pressure of having to be a ppg player? Will he have chemistry with Richards or Stepan or Anisimov? Is he on the decline? Is he going to even do better then Stepan? Will this team still be the same without (insert player or players traded) in the locker room?

No matter what move you make there are questions, that's why you don't fix something that isn't broken. Nash completely changes the dynamic to this team, adding a free agent like Doan or even lesser talent like kostitsyn, or sykora instead adds a dynamic that helps add to what one of our biggest weaknesses were all season. Scoring Depth, not Top scores, scoring outside our top 6

Closed Thread