HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Robinson hired as SJ Sharks Associate Coach

Old
07-08-2012, 06:01 PM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Ah yes, I can't criticize a media member because I don't have a radio show of my own where I shill Cavallaro's and spew nonsense for simpletons tuning in during rush hour.

Have you heard the questions he asks in press conferences? Have you heard him try to assess hockey on his show? He knows nothing, he contributes nothing, he is all kinds of wrong.

There are posters here who can discuss hockey much more eloquently than Tony Marinaro and they do it for free. That's why I come here and I don't put up with Stubbs and Marinaro blowing smoke up their own *****.
I don't care who this poster is, i was just commenting on how rude you were.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
And how is Big Bird not fresh blood compared to JJ ? Actually JJ was here last after Larry.
Please stop pointing out the facts, otherwise there won't be much discussion here. Just let people spit out their frothing nonsense and accept it. Enjoy the laughs.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Good point. But there's a limit to spew nonsense like that and we haven't played a single game yet. And then you add the fact that, for some, you hire francos solely for the medias and not for their quality and you have some of the reactions we see in here. Point is that most of those francos, aside from Brisebois, had coached elsewhere than here where nobody thought of them as being francos.
I also hate the fact that for some the french factor is the reason of the hire, I mean it's not like there wasn't quality alot of french speaker in the NHL's teams offices, Montreal isn't the only one that is hiring them.

I like Daigneault for his credentials and experience, I mean he paid his dues in the AHL and it look like he is a good coach seeing guys like McDonagh, Girardi, Corey Potter, Michael Del Zotto. He really is a good candidate, it's just that I think Robinson was far ahead the better candidate especially with his head coaching experience. I think Montreal should have bring him back at least in a consulting job he could have been incredible to help the coaching staff.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:08 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It is an issue and not a trivial one. I assume that Daigneault is qualified but if you polled the members of this board, you might find that a majority would have preferred Robinson. If Therrien is fired again at some point, which would you want?
Hahahahaha

Thank you for the laugh Mister Obvious.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Gallant has a francophone last name!

What about Brisebois, Lapointe and Lefebvre. Oh there was Serge Savard as Consultant to Mr. Molson
You can't be serious...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:12 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Are you serious ? Of course Big Bird would have won. The only reason you are lol, is for the french factor.
Of course he would have won on this board.

But that doesn't prove dick squat about anything.

I love how 99% of people in this thread just assume that Robinson is clearly hands down better than JJD and it's not even a discussion.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Habanero514

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Of course he would have won on this board.

I love how 99% of people in this thread just assume that Robinson is clearly hands down better than JJD and it's not even a discussion.

Robinson has all the accolades and is a HOF. He has a ring to show...and many as player!

What does JJ Daigneault have that Robinson doesn't ? One cup as player in 1993.

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Hahahahaha

Thank you for the laugh Mister Obvious.
You have a strange sense of humus.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:22 PM
PunkinDrublic*

[QUOTE=E = CH²;52311085]Of course he would have won on this board.

I love how 99% of people in this thread just assume that Robinson is clearly hands down better than JJD and it's not even a discussion.[/QUOTE]

You are just kidding here right ?

Yes, anyone who knows their hockey, would know this to be fact.

Old
peate
Good grief!

Here's what Larry has to say:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...sistant-coach/

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Another thing is that the Habs can't always hire old Habs players all the time, they need some new blood. Not using Serge Savard is very telling for what Bergie is going for.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
old scotia

If Michel Therrien is the one who said no to Larry Robinson, it just tells you how insecure Michel Therrien is.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Boardish

Quote:
Isn't that good news ?
No. Daigneault is french, so he obviously sucks. No other reasoning.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:26 PM
All-Star

The fact that this thread even exists is enough of a reason to not hire Robinson. The new management is trying to clean up the organization for next season, not add fuel to the potential fires of controvercy.
How many losses in a row would it take for the media to throw Terrien under a bus in favor of Robinson?

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
The fact that this thread even exists is enough of a reason to not hire Robinson. The new management is trying to clean up the organization for next season, not add fuel to the potential fires of controvercy.
How many losses in a row would it take for the media to throw Terrien under a bus in favor of Robinson?
Why do people keep saying this? Robinson has openly said a million times he doesn't want to be head coach anymore.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why do people keep saying this? Robinson has openly said a million times he doesn't want to be head coach anymore.
Yeah he just don't want, because of his health.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Habanero514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Another thing is that the Habs can't always hire old Habs players all the time, they need some new blood. Not using Serge Savard is very telling for what Bergie is going for.
And JJ Daigneault ain't an Old Habs player ? Come on now...

Old
07-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Habanero514

Larry Robinson, 61, is the winner of nine Stanley Cups, six on the Montreal Canadiens blue line and three with New Jersey as the Devils head coach, an assistant coach and a consultant.

And for the record, Larry said many times he would love to be assistant for the Habs...

Old
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Not sure what you're getting at; I never said anything about Robinson wanting the job. The fact that he may or may not want the job is irrelevant to my argument.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Habanero514

It's Michel Therrien not wanting Larry Robinson. Larry Robinson showed on many occassions interest in becoming Habs Assistant Coach...

Old
07-08-2012, 06:37 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
It's Michel Therrien not wanting Larry Robinson. Larry Robinson showed on many occassions interest in becoming Habs Assistant Coach...
The guy I quoted was talking about the head coaching job...

Old
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Quote:
Therrien apparently liked Daigneault so much, the decision was made to hire him before Robinson had a chance to interview, as requested, for the job. A story in recent days in the Hartford Courant suggested that Daigneault received a contract at his home, without either having sought a job with the Canadiens or been interviewed in person.
Here I thought Robinson not having time for a face to face played a role lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Not sure what you're getting at; I never said anything about Robinson wanting the job. The fact that he may or may not want the job is irrelevant to my argument.
It is. He had health issues, no interest. If people slot him as a head coach their opinion doesn't really matter as they are wrong. If media even suggests Robinson as head coach I think I permanently ignore them. Fake journalists/analysts if you ask me. If they don't know the reality, then sorry, I won't bother listening to them.

Not hiring Robinson to avoid controversy is just wrong. If Therrien chose JJ because he felt he was a better fit, no problem, but if its a matter of "I don't want people with limited knowledge of the NHL to suggest illogical stories" then sorry, that's just retarded. Obviously, that isn't the case, just a matter of them liking JJ better.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:43 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
JJ Daigneault ?

Old
07-08-2012, 07:16 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Here I thought Robinson not having time for a face to face played a role lol

It is. He had health issues, no interest. If people slot him as a head coach their opinion doesn't really matter as they are wrong. If media even suggests Robinson as head coach I think I permanently ignore them. Fake journalists/analysts if you ask me. If they don't know the reality, then sorry, I won't bother listening to them.

Not hiring Robinson to avoid controversy is just wrong. If Therrien chose JJ because he felt he was a better fit, no problem, but if its a matter of "I don't want people with limited knowledge of the NHL to suggest illogical stories" then sorry, that's just retarded. Obviously, that isn't the case, just a matter of them liking JJ better.
There are usually multiple factors that go into the decision to hire one person over an other. Completely ignoring the PR angle of the decision would be irresponsible.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

A coaching staff is a team. The coaches need to work together, get along well and drive the team towards the same direction. Thats more important than the qualification of individual coaches.

Therrien wanted to work with JJ Daigneault, apparantly a good coach on his own right, so there it is. Perhaps Therrien didn't think Robinson's style would fit with the system he wants to implement. Perhaps Therrien knew he'd feel uneasy having a legend like Robinson as an assistant. Fact is we don't know and ultimately its not that important.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote