HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Blues

Old
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Machinae

vCash: 500
And what I said goes right over everyone's head.

If it bothers you ignore it, debate it reasonably, or take a break from the internet. Insulting other teams or fanbases is counterproductive and toxic to the community.

These posts are marked as PROPOSALS. It's a very clear indication of what you're about to get yourself in to. If you have nothing of value to add to a topic why waste your time? The majority of these are going to be off, so once again, deal with it.

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I am a big fan of Nikolai Kulemin and have been for a while, but the offensive upside of Chris Stewart is far higher.

Kulemin got to 30 goals because he had an insane shooting percentage, that will almost certainly never be repeated. Kulemin is a 20-25 goal, 45-60 point player with a very good all round game. Chris Stewart has the potential of 35-35-70, the difference being he doesn't have the all round game.

Considering the Blues already have plenty of players in the Kulemin mould, then Stewart has far more value to us.
You can flip that around and suggest that he had a great shooting percentage because he's got a great shot. Furthermore, you could make the case that when not playing alongside a shoot-happy centre like Grabovski, he may score even more. You could also suggest that Stewart's physicality will forever prevent him from becoming the finesse player that does put up 70 points.

It's ludicrous to suggest that either of these guys have hit their ceiling yet, nevermind that one has and one hasn't....

The blues do have a few players similar to Kulemin, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't want another. Hitchcock likes a defensive system and Kulemin is the perfect type of player for that. Carlyle likes a physical team and Kulemin is the perfect type of player for that. Certainly a basis for a trade.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
And what I said goes right over everyone's head.

If it bothers you ignore it, debate it reasonably, or take a break from the internet. Insulting other teams or fanbases is counterproductive and toxic to the community.
Ok in the future then, what is the reasonable way to say we aren't trading Halak because it doesn't make sense for our organization so that it gets understood?

I agree insulting entire fan bases is counterproductive

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Machinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Ok in the future then, what is the reasonable way to say we aren't trading Halak because it doesn't make sense for our organization so that it gets understood?

I agree insulting entire fan bases is counterproductive
You just said it we have nothing to argue about

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
It has been agreed upon that Stewart is worth at least Gunnarsson and a 2nd. IF they were available, do you really think you could get Halak AND Rattie for that?
I agree. Honestly, IMO, if the Leafs want Halak AND Stewart, it has to start with either Kessel or Gardiner as starters.

I wouldn't mind a Kessel and Reimer for Halak and Stewart trade with some random other small pieces to make it work.

I like Kessel, but I really don't think he is gonna be able to handle Carlyle's style, and his value is at an all time high and if you can get a tough 25-30 goal scorer and a #1 goalie out of it, I would seriously think about it.

Leafsforlife98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
I agree. Honestly, IMO, if the Leafs want Halak AND Stewart, it has to start with either Kessel or Gardiner as starters.

I wouldn't mind a Kessel and Reimer for Halak and Stewart trade with some random other small pieces to make it work.

I like Kessel, but I really don't think he is gonna be able to handle Carlyle's style, and his value is at an all time high and if you can get a tough 25-30 goal scorer and a #1 goalie out of it, I would seriously think about it.
I don't make that trade but it's definitely a more intriguing offer.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post

Is that random piece Pietrangelo?

Thats hyperbole, but Kessel/Reimer >>>>>>>>>>>> Halak/Stewart

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Is that random piece Pietrangelo?

Thats hyperbole, but Kessel/Reimer >>>>>>>>>>>> Halak/Stewart
joke? please? thats just dumb.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:30 PM
douglasEfresh45

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
And Kulemin's never missed more than 12 games in a season... Not completely fair to prorate production on a player who's style of play does lead to injuries.

So has Kulemin, 30 goal season. He's better defensively. coming off a down year, and will likely be cheaper.
While you may not be able to prorate a player when his style leads to injury, the thing is Stewart scored 28 goals the season he got hurt and only played 62 games. Assuming that if he's a little safe with his style of play, he can put up solid numbers.

I don't know much about Kulemin, but the deal seems like too much of a lateral deal for the Blues. Just another two-way player (based off of what Toronto fans are saying) who has some upside but it's just as likely he had a fluke year. The same could be said about Stewie and that he had two fluke seasons. Who knows.

Also, Armstrong has expressed not wanting to give up any roster players in a trade. Rattie, Schwartz and future picks are the Blues' trade chips.

douglasEfresh45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:35 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by N O O D L E S View Post
Ya, because this is totally the first unreasonable trade proposal posted by a Leaf fan
Lol thank you!!! Stop with the unreasonable trade proposals, and maybe other teams' fans wouldn't be so annoyed with your fanbase. I'm sorry we don't want your spare parts for our starting goaltender.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:49 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehamilton100 View Post
Both teams have needs and depth to replace (immediate or soon to be) what they would be giving up to fill said needs. Plus, this summer stands to be one of multiple moves for many teams. (ie, follow up deals are likely.)

To STL: Gunnarsson + Kulemin + Rynnas + 2013 2nd + 2014 4th

To TOR: Halak + Stewart + Rattie + 2013 6th

Everyone will have opinions (some think Toronto gets too much, some St.Louis), but I feel both teams address needs here and gain valuable assets.
Take out Kulemin , Rynnas , Stewart, Rattie and the 6th rounder and throw in Scrivens.

Toronto: Halak

St-Louis : Gunnarsson + Scrivens+2013 2nd + 2013 4th

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

NO CHANCE HALAK GETS TRADED!!! The Blues do not want a Brian Elliott/Jake Allen(or Reimer, or Scrivens) as their tandem. NO WAY! I hope that can become clear to every teams fans. We went so long with mediocre goaltending, and we finally have an established number 1 starter and a great backup, we are not trading that away.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Mr Lahey*

Stewart is overrated and Rattie's game likely wont translate well to the NHL. Halak wont put up similar numbers in Toronto. No thanks from Toronto.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
underslept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSmedsmosStache View Post
Stewart is overrated and Rattie's game likely wont translate well to the NHL. Halak wont put up similar numbers in Toronto. No thanks from Toronto.
Typically only by teams trying to get him for a bargain.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I love how people think Elliott isn't for real, but they think he makes Halak expendable.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:49 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Take out Kulemin , Rynnas , Stewart, Rattie and the 6th rounder and throw in Scrivens.

Toronto: Halak

St-Louis : Gunnarsson + Scrivens+2013 2nd + 2013 4th
Halak just is not available. No point in trying to make a package for him.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSmedsmosStache View Post
I am curious as to why you think Rattie's game will not translate to the NHL?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
What about ... Bozak and Mac for Stewart
If "Mac" is Andrew MacWilliam, I would consider this. In the short term, TO gets the better player... but the Blues get a guy who drops nicely into their third-line center spot, and does so at about $2MM less than what the departing Stewart is making. The Blues could then use all or part of that that $2MM to sweeten a contract offer for a UFA defenseman, or put it into the pool for T.J. Oshie's new contract.

MacWilliam still has another year to go at North Dakota, and if he could develop some chemistry with/serve as a mentor to Blues' first-round pick Jordan Schmaltz, who will be a freshman at North Dakota next year, this deal looks better for the Blues in the long term.

I wouldn't mind picking up Rynnas in a minor deal, either. I'd really rather have Jussi Rynnas backing up Jake Allen in Peoria than Mike McKenna, St. Louis boy or not. Rynnas still has some upside, whereas McKenna's ship has pretty much sailed.

IMO, McKenna's main value to the Blues is, apart from the PR value of being a hometown boy, the fact that McKenna has some NHL experience where Allen has virtually none. That makes McKenna, again IMO, the more likely first callup in the event that either Halak or Elliott get hurt, God forbid.

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 07-08-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Mr Lahey*

My above post was more satire btw, people have a way of ******** on everyone elses players

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I never understood guys throwing in a late 6th round or a 4th rounder in 2 years.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Halak just is not available. No point in trying to make a package for him.
Its too bad. It's a strange goaltending situation in a sense. They have 2 starters , Elliot played better but just isn't worth as much, value wise, than Halak.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Prussian_Blue

The more I read about Andrew MacWilliam, the more I like him.

I would absolutely trade Chris Stewart for this kid and Tyler Bozak.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:15 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
All the credit in the world to Elliott for last season, and I hope he repeats it. But he has NOT established himself as a smart option as the #1 for the future with no experienced back-up. The Blues have a great goaltender situation, which is why they were able to trade Bishop. But the Blues are now done with the goalie trades and Halak is not anywhere close to available. Leafs fans may also not be familiar with how many years the Blues have had mediocre journeymen goalies prior to this. The fanbase isn't too eager to fritter away a strength unless it clearly improves the team.

Also, Stewart has a place on the Blues this season. They're not going to move him just for a winger swap type of trade. If he repeats a disappointing season, then I see a swap of that nature (two wingers that need fresh starts swapping).

Taking into account salary structure, I can't concoct one trade with the Leafs that serves both teams that could happen. Close shop and maybe start a thread about Bouwmeester's value to the Leafs. We haven't seen that one yet, have we?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:53 AM
TimtheDJ84

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Its too bad. It's a strange goaltending situation in a sense. They have 2 starters , Elliot played better but just isn't worth as much, value wise, than Halak.
Elliott played well, but that is because it was 3 or 4 game spurts and he knew he had that cushion in Halak...just in case. I love Elliot, made some incredible saves, and stood on his head..but the playoffs showed why he just can't be that number 1...yet. Halak went down and it looked as though Elliott had that panic...anxiety..he's the guy and had all the pressure...didn't go so well(not all on him, but still)..so that is why Halak will not be traded.

TimtheDJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:32 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Didn't go so well? He was fine against the Sharks. He had ONE poor outing against the Kings.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote