HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Robinson hired as SJ Sharks Associate Coach

Old
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
There are usually multiple factors that go into the decision to hire one person over an other. Completely ignoring the PR angle of the decision would be irresponsible.
You missed the point. There is no PR controversy here. What you're saying is akin to me saying the habs should skip the draft entirely because if they don't choose a french prospect, some will be upset. Illogical. This isn't a problem at all.

Again, they choose JJ and that's fine, but I highly doubt hiring Robinson was based on whether or not there would be a controversy over a position he doesn't want.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
niftymove

vCash: 500
Robinson would have been a major hit with montreal medias, specially the french ones.

So, to pass up on him have nothing to do with language issue.

MB had only one must from Molson in rebuilding the Habs staff: Coach must be able to speak to the media in french. That's all!

So they took JJ because they evaluated he was best fit.

Life is so simple......

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

I am not claiming to be a scout expert or a coach expert like 99 % of the wannabee manager here.

With that said, I have no problem with JJ Daigneault hiring.

Prust Y U MAD Bruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:29 PM
icerocket

Only in Montreal do people care about an assistant coach.

Worry about the ****ing team!

icerocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

good for Larry, and read the tea leaves please .

Quote:
With Wilson, Robinson will be reunited with a man "I've known longer than I'll admit," the Sharks GM having grown up in the same Ottawa Valley neighbourhood as Jeannette.

Robinson also played for the Canadiens with Wilson's brother, Murray.

"I was very surprised by (Wilson's) call," said Robinson, who admitted he'd hoped for a time to catch on with the Tampa Bay Lightning, based close to his off-season Florida home. "Dougie knew about these other teams (that were expressing interest) so he did the right thing and waited until we both knew where I stood."

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Martin+...#ixzz2054nsIg8

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It is an issue and not a trivial one. I assume that Daigneault is qualified but if you polled the members of this board, you might find that a majority would have preferred Robinson. If Therrien is fired again at some point, which would you want?

Thank GOD we never take decisions on what the members of this board would want.

That said, I have to do a mea culpa: I argued pretty strongly that it wouldn't make sense for Robinson to take a head coaching job on another team. I was completely wrong.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:48 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
If Michel Therrien is the one who said no to Larry Robinson, it just tells you how insecure Michel Therrien is.
First rule of business, don't put a superior talent in a position to usurp you. Robinson would have been the defacto coach of this team had he been hired by Therrien.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Forlando

I guess nobody read Larry's interview in the Gazette:

"“I understand the Canadiens had to get going, they couldn’t wait,” he said, settling into the off-season with his wife, Jeannette.

“They decided, and they chose Daigneault. They had to move on in their task to improve their club.”

It’s no secret that a number of NHL clubs have expressed interest in Robinson’s coaching talents. Complicating matters with the Canadiens was the fact that he was unable in recent days to come north for a face-to-face interview, tied down in Florida dealing with the onslaught of Hurricane Debby and the torrential rains that overflowed his swimming pool and swamped the 12-acre polo farm he co-owns, stabling and training polo horses."

He also said that he wants to spend less time working with Hockey and wants to focus on family.

I think the habs simply wanted someone that would be head and shoulders 24h a day working to improve the team.

Forlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlando View Post
I guess nobody read Larry's interview in the Gazette:

"“I understand the Canadiens had to get going, they couldn’t wait,” he said, settling into the off-season with his wife, Jeannette.

“They decided, and they chose Daigneault. They had to move on in their task to improve their club.”

It’s no secret that a number of NHL clubs have expressed interest in Robinson’s coaching talents. Complicating matters with the Canadiens was the fact that he was unable in recent days to come north for a face-to-face interview, tied down in Florida dealing with the onslaught of Hurricane Debby and the torrential rains that overflowed his swimming pool and swamped the 12-acre polo farm he co-owns, stabling and training polo horses."

He also said that he wants to spend less time working with Hockey and wants to focus on family.

I think the habs simply wanted someone that would be head and shoulders 24h a day working to improve the team.
I THINK Big Bird wanted sunny winters....

Quote:
"I was very surprised by (Wilson's) call," said Robinson, who admitted he'd hoped for a time to catch on with the Tampa Bay Lightning, based close to his off-season Florida home. "Dougie knew about these other teams (that were expressing interest) so he did the right thing and waited until we both knew where I stood."

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Martin+...#ixzz2054nsIg8

Old
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You missed the point. There is no PR controversy here. What you're saying is akin to me saying the habs should skip the draft entirely because if they don't choose a french prospect, some will be upset. Illogical. This isn't a problem at all.

Again, they choose JJ and that's fine, but I highly doubt hiring Robinson was based on whether or not there would be a controversy over a position he doesn't want.
Nice slippery slope, but even in drafts, the team manages the message. It's why they say things like "at equal talent, pick the french player"...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:05 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Nobody. Robinson isn't a head coach. When Therrien will be fired, you will have choice between candidates elsewhere in the league, Jodoin or Gallant in an interim position of even Lefebvre if needed if he's still part of the organization.
I believe Levebvre was brought in as the next in line. When Therrien goes, expect Sylvain to step in.

As for Larry, well... who knows what happened on the inside. Maybe he doesn't get along with MT. I honestly thought it was the right time for him to come back to MTL.

Oh well..

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Habs hired a french media pleaser, plain and simple and if you cannot see that, you are clearly misguided.

If not Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe would've been my candidate!
Funny, Guy Lapointe was also Tony's selection after Robinson as well.

If you honestly think that Michel Therrien selected J.J. as a media pleaser "plain and simple," you need to brush up on your history with what J.J. did as an assistant coach with both the Connecticut Whale and the Hartford Wolfpack. Brush up on some history before throwing out baseless claims that you hear on the radio.

Would I have preferred Robinson over Daigneault? Absolutely. His track record speaks for itself. If Therrien feels more comfortable with Daigneault behind the bench aiding him, then so be it. I'm not about to crap on a guy who wants to build his coaching staff through chemistry.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Nice slippery slope, but even in drafts, the team manages the message. It's why they say things like "at equal talent, pick the french player"...
Hockey professionals are very knowledgeable but they're imperfect. Otherwise, there wouldn't be dark horses who surpass the obvious top picks. I defy anyone who can prove that any two prospects have "equal talent." Sooner or later one will emerge as the superior. What they're saying is that French mustard tastes better than English even though the real issue is the quality of the meat they're applying it to. It means that when in doubt, go French because it'll probably take a few years to determine who's the more talented and that someone like Eric Chouinard is a waste of a first rounder. But in the meantime it will placate the Québécois public and take the heat off. But if the Habs make a mistake and draft David Fischer, they never hear the end of it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:20 PM
MXD

Quote:
So for the Habs hiring of JJ Daigneault, it came down to the last name of the person and that he was " Un ti gars de Chez Nous" and not their credentials. It's sad if you ask me...

What happened to hiring the best guy available?
The best guy available is the guy the Head Coach wants to work with.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:22 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Hockey professionals are very knowledgeable but they're imperfect. Otherwise, there wouldn't be dark horses who surpass the obvious top picks. I defy anyone who can prove that any two prospects have "equal talent." Sooner or later one will emerge as the superior. What they're saying is that French mustard tastes better than English even though the real issue is the quality of the meat they're applying it to. It means that when in doubt, go French because it'll probably take a few years to determine who's the more talented and that someone like Eric Chouinard is a waste of a first rounder. But in the meantime it will placate the Québécois public and take the heat off. But if the Habs make a mistake and draft David Fischer, they never hear the end of it.
I agree... It doesn't change the fact that they manage the message...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
I believe Levebvre was brought in as the next in line. When Therrien goes, expect Sylvain to step in.

As for Larry, well... who knows what happened on the inside. Maybe he doesn't get along with MT. I honestly thought it was the right time for him to come back to MTL.

Oh well..

I think you got to look at Gerard Gallant....years ago i would have said no, but he was top notch for St John Sea dogs turned them into a power house winner.....

Quote:
On April 24, 2009, Gallant was introduced as the new head coach of the Saint John Sea Dogs in the QMJHL. In his first season behind the Sea Dogs’ bench, he led his team to a franchise record 53 wins and 309 goals scored and earning the regular season title. He was named the QMJHL as well as the CHL Coach of the Year while taking the Sea Dogs to the President’s Cup final. Gallant’s second season, in 2010-11, was even more successful as his team tied a QMJHL record with 58 wins and repeated as the QMJHL and CHL Coach of the Year. The Sea Dogs won a second straight regular season championship and a President’s Cup before capturing the Memorial Cup becoming the first Atlantic Canadian team to win the trophy. In 2011-12, Gallant and his Sea Dogs earned yet another QMJHL title with a league-leading 50 wins, 15 losses and 3 shootout wins and a second consecutive trip to the Memorial Cup. Over three seasons at the helm of the Saint John Sea Dogs, Gallant’s record sits at an amazing 159 wins, 34 losses and 9 overtime/shootout losses. Furthermore, the Sea Dogs set a QMHJL record as they became the first team ever to have three consecutive 100-point seasons.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:29 PM
MXD

Quote:
Where were you four years ago?

Old
07-08-2012, 08:29 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I think you got to look at Gerard Gallant....years ago i would have said no, but he was top notch for St John Sea dogs turned them into a power house winner.....
Well, in was great in being outcoached...

Old
07-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Not The One

Quote:
So for the Habs hiring of JJ Daigneault, it came down to the last name of the person and that he was " Un ti gars de Chez Nous" and not their credentials. It's sad if you ask me...

Of course that is the only possible answer.

It's not at all possible that:

1) The Habs felt that Robinson was not the best fit for their players/staff/strategy
2) Robinson did NOT want to come to Montréal

You're the sad one.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:

Yep.....I smell political decisions being made here rather then smart hockey ones!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:44 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Yep.....I smell political decisions being made here rather then smart hockey ones!
...Seriously?

Old
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
penaltykiller

At the end of the day , maybe Michel Therrien decided to go with Daigneault because they got along better ? These guys work together for hours everyday for almost the entire calendar year... Why not simply go with Occam's razor theory ? Is anything worthy of a controversy ? If the 1989 habs make a trade for 24 years old Mario Lemieux ( 85-114-199) , would some people here find a way to complain and say that we only got him because of his first language ? Somedays , i think it would be the case.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
You said it, Therrien went with the guy he was most comfortable with and not the most qualified... Tells a lot...

I don't mind a buddy system but when it's logical to hire the best guy available, you do it...
It's not logical for a first-year coach (i.e. just hired) to hire an associate coach either.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Kjell Dahlin

I was rooting for Robinson; Daigneault might surprise me.
Laperrière, our last great D coach imo, serves as a role model for Daigneault.

Nonetheless... Big Bird...

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:53 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
yeah, it's a conspiracy, bergevin purposefully didn't hire him because JJ is clearly a MUCH WORST candidate and only hired because most anglos can't spell his AWESOME french name properly. of course, it CANNOT be because of other more logical factors. no. fire bergevin.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote