HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Spurgy and Scandy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
  #26
WildisLaw
Just win, baby
 
WildisLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Napa Valley, Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 50
I'm not worried about Pizza. He is a young kid with tons of potential. Defenseman take an awful lot of time to develop. IMO he is top 4 with potential to reach top pairing if he works hard enough. He has all he tools.

I was never high on spurgina but if he does good all the power to the little guy.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:12 AM
  #27
Greatwhitenorth
Registered User
 
Greatwhitenorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a daze
Country: Canada
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
So we are going to need Brodin to slot into the #2 in the near future or make a fairly significant trade?
I don't think that's an unfair analysis of the situation.

Greatwhitenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:31 AM
  #28
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,192
vCash: 50
Spurgeon will be fine. Scandy needs to show some improvement.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:36 AM
  #29
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,200
vCash: 1760
I'm a huge Spurgeon fan!! I think he's a really good player. He's too small to really be that great of a defender, but he moves the puck really well and is positionally sound. The ideal case is that he's on your 3rd pairing and is a power play specialist. However, I'm a fan of the whole Scandella/Spurgeon pairing. Scandella is fine. Give him some time to put things together. He's showed improvement and has all of the tools. Plus, Spurgeon's main value comes from his ability to break it out of the zone and make that first pass well (other than on the PP) and that helps a lot more than one would think.

All in all...with Suter/Gilbert/Brodin/Dumba/Scandella/Spurgeon/and Co. We aren't so badly off. I mean we have 5 guys with top 4 pairing potential. I'll take it.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:07 AM
  #30
Ovechkid08
Registered User
 
Ovechkid08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Scandella played quite well for my expectations last year. For a defenseman to show the poise and ability to adapt during the game at such a young age is outstanding IMO. Ignoring physical tools I have to disagree with This Providence entirely on his hockey sense, he was very shifty and made a lot of good decisions but I feel he wasn't just quite there in terms of knowing his own physical limits. He was one of the few guys we have had in a long time with the ability to make a forechecker miss and carry the puck on a rush. That and his ability to actually get his shot through in the offensive end, whether on net or not, was an aspect we have been sorely lacking in this organization. His positioning was sound and the only times he got beat were from speedy defenders going to the outside, a sign of bad edge-work common in young players with big developing bodies, and after getting beat once by players like Gaborik, he adjusted well mid-game to the foot speed.

People expecting Brodin to make the team and play much better than Scandella did last season are going to be sorely disappointed. Defending at the NHL level takes quite a bit of development, but its important to note the small parts of the players game, and the things that will improve with time as these young guys fill out their bodies and adjust to their own limitations.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:18 AM
  #31
TwInS1095
Registered User
 
TwInS1095's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 2,200
vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
People expecting Brodin to make the team and play much better than Scandella did last season are going to be sorely disappointed. Defending at the NHL level takes quite a bit of development, but its important to note the small parts of the players game, and the things that will improve with time as these young guys fill out their bodies and adjust to their own limitations.

Brodin is a lot different player than Scandella though. Scandella is prized because of his ability to also be an offensive force. (somewhat) He's never been regarded as the type of shut-down defender that Brodin is expected to be. Nor is he the skater that Brodin is said to be. Nor was he said to be as positionally sound or have the hockey sense that Brodin has.

Brodin's offensive value comes more from making a good first pass out of the zone. I'm sure he's a decent passer, but I think Scandella is much better offensively. (at least at this point)

So yeah...Brodin might not put up huge, flashy point totals. However, if he makes the team...meaning he's proved he's ready...than I think those of us who watch Brodin day in and day out will see the value that he brings to the team.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:29 AM
  #32
WildisLaw
Just win, baby
 
WildisLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Napa Valley, Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 50
My most memorable spurgy moment last season was him trying to defend Malkin, it was classic. I'll just shadow you while you skate around the zone for awhile then decide to drive the net and get a glorious scoring chance with me right at the hip helpless. Haha man that was funny as hell

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:52 AM
  #33
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
I think once Brodin can develop in a few years he can slot Spurgeon into a better spot for me as a #5 defenseman. Spurgeon is smart, agile though and can move the puck, a very solid defenseman.

Scandella I just think the world of him. He's got a great shot, rocket boosters for skates and all he needs to work on is his consistency and his defensive game a little. Now with Suter in the fold though, he fits in perfectly as a 2/3 guy and I think he will have a breakout year next year.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:58 AM
  #34
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,065
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
People expecting Brodin to make the team and play much better than Scandella did last season are going to be sorely disappointed. Defending at the NHL level takes quite a bit of development, but its important to note the small parts of the players game, and the things that will improve with time as these young guys fill out their bodies and adjust to their own limitations.
Playing defense is a very cerebral game... Scandella has had the physical tools for some time, but his decision making was what held him back.

Brodin is a much more cerebral player, thus the transition should go a bit more smooth for him. Now, that's not to say I think he makes the team out of the gate... as I'm not saying that at all... I just think he won't need near the development time that Scandella has needed.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:33 AM
  #35
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
I couldn't disagree more - I thought he was often our best defenseman last season.
Didn't see it.

The day Gilbert was added to the team he became their best defenseman. Before that, Spurgeon made everyone look like the horrible defensive corps they were.

Scandella struggled mightily last season. I don't really think there's a case to be argued otherwise either. He just doesn't see the ice all that well and makes rushed and poor decisions with the puck when he sees even a little pressure at the NHL level. All of that is a big reason as to why he was sent down for stretch last season and was yet again asked back for Dev Camp. He has a long ways to go at the NHL level to reach the expectations some have for him. He's got almost every tool at his disposal but there's a reason he's not taking that step forward yet. One is that yes, he lacks NHL experience. However, that comes with the territory of playing a consistent game and keeping yourself clean; two things he's shown anything but. And the most important thing that's holding him back is that I believe he just doesn't process the game at the level you'd like to see from a player you have higher hopes for.

Personally, I don't put a lot of weight into what he did as the season closed given what the team was working with on the back end. I'm looking at his track record as a player in this league and in my view; it doesn't add up to a player you'd want to project into the top 4 moving forward. Even with just how below average this corps is. At this point in his career, he's shown nothing that would indicate that he should be playing higher than the third pairing. More realistically, he'd still be at the AHL level with many teams out there. He needs significant progression at this level to be any sort of a mainstay on the backend. Don't know how realistic it is to expect that from him and that's the crux of my opinion on Scandella.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
  #36
Jbcraig1883
Registered User
 
Jbcraig1883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Didn't see it.

The day Gilbert was added to the team he became their best defenseman. Before that, Spurgeon made everyone look like the horrible defensive corps they were.

Scandella struggled mightily last season. I don't really think there's a case to be argued otherwise either. He just doesn't see the ice all that well and makes rushed and poor decisions with the puck when he sees even a little pressure at the NHL level. All of that is a big reason as to why he was sent down for stretch last season and was yet again asked back for Dev Camp. He has a long ways to go at the NHL level to reach the expectations some have for him. He's got almost every tool at his disposal but there's a reason he's not taking that step forward yet. One is that yes, he lacks NHL experience. However, that comes with the territory of playing a consistent game and keeping yourself clean; two things he's shown anything but. And the most important thing that's holding him back is that I believe he just doesn't process the game at the level you'd like to see from a player you have higher hopes for.
Are you stating that just because he is on the roster or was that said somewhere? If you are concluding that just from seeing his name on the roster, I disagree completely. While you could be right, he could also have been asked to be a mentor for the younger D men due to his work ethic, personality, etc. Impossible to know.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:53 AM
  #37
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Are you stating that just because he is on the roster or was that said somewhere? If you are concluding that just from seeing his name on the roster, I disagree completely. While you could be right, he could also have been asked to be a mentor for the younger D men due to his work ethic, personality, etc. Impossible to know.
It's impossible to know for certain. Knowing how up and down his game is I'd place that as the much larger reason he's there and less to do with him being a mentor.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:06 PM
  #38
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,253
vCash: 500
Scandella still has top pairing ability but that window is closing fast. I think he'll be a good second pairing defenseman like Schultz and with Suter here now, it might be even better for his development. He's a solid defenseman but I think his growth is slowing and as such he's topping out only as 3/4

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:17 PM
  #39
El Nino22
Registered User
 
El Nino22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
I was impressed with Spurgeon last year and I think he will be better this year in a more relaxed #4 D tops. If Brodin makes the roster I'm wondering if we don't see Spurg moved with Falk, Prosser, Stoner all being bottom pairing/extra D. Also with hopefully Suter, Gilbert, Scandella, Cullen, Bouchard, and Granlund running the PP he isn't needed in that aspect.

Scandella still looks very promising to me. I think his offensive game is very raw and I don't know how much better he will get in that area. Overall I think he projects as a 3/4 D with his lack of offensive so far. I would really like to see him become more physical as he progresses.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:57 PM
  #40
Al Lagoon
Registered User
 
Al Lagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 723
vCash: 50
I'll just agree to disagree, but Scandella is twice the prospect Spurgeon is imo.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
  #41
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,065
vCash: 50
I don't consider either of them prospects anymore at this point. They haven't reached their peak yet... but they aren't prospects in my book.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
  #42
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Apparently Scandella is because he's at the prospects camp this week. No worries though, because this kid still has plenty of growing to do because he has a high ceiling, so i'm not worried.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
  #43
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,065
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Apparently Scandella is because he's at the prospects camp this week. No worries though, because this kid still has plenty of growing to do because he has a high ceiling, so i'm not worried.
Just because he's at the prospect camp doesn't mean I have to consider him a prospect. He's an NHL regular.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:17 PM
  #44
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
but Scandella is twice the prospect Spurgeon is imo.
Leave height out of this.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:23 PM
  #45
Sportsfan1
Registered User
 
Sportsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Just because he's at the prospect camp doesn't mean I have to consider him a prospect. He's an NHL regular.
Agreed, and will really show that next year.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:30 PM
  #46
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,441
vCash: 50
From 2011-2012 NHL PLAYER USAGE CHARTS
Quote:
When the dust cleared 21-year-old Marco Scandella and tiny 22-year-old Jared Spurgeon, with a combined 73
games of prior NHL experience between them, joined Gilbert in the top-four, and surprisingly held their own
over-all.
This sums up my thoughts exactly.

Both Spurgeon and Scandella were forced into positions they weren't ready for, and against competition that was much more experienced. All-in-all, they battled, survived, and kept the biscuit out of the basket better than most people expected.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
  #47
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,790
vCash: 500
Scadella Hate is overblown. Playing defense in the nhl is ridiculously hard. Playing defense on a team that is imploding is dang near impossible. Every blueliner we had was inconsistent last year. This year willbe an improvement.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
  #48
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,751
vCash: 16145
I thought they both did phenomenal for the tools that they were given. They did an amazing job.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:14 PM
  #49
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
It can be hard to keep the expectations modest with Scandy because you know how good he can be and we got to see the occasional flashes. Realistically though, he didn't do half bad considering what he was working with.

Jaykay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
  #50
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,872
vCash: 500
Agreed with alot of posters here.

Scandella is an NHL regular, but still has alot of things to improve on and to grow. I think he's a sure-fire depth defenseman, but obviously we want more, so developmental camp might enforce a few things in his game.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.