HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part VIII): Still no decision with Doan

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
A lot of people loved Drury's intangibles and leadership too. Doan is a risk regardless of his good qualities. He's also on the decline, which Drury wasn't when we signed him.
Doan's contract won't hamstring the organization like Drury's did. Drury's contract was high risk and made him immovable. Doan's shouldnt be.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

We should look at 2 years for Doan...Not sure what he wants. But i hope it isnt a 5 year deal lol

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
A lot of people loved Drury's intangibles and leadership too. Doan is a risk regardless of his good qualities. He's also on the decline, which Drury wasn't when we signed him.
To be fair, Drury was fine here the first two years. He actually exceeded his career average. The problem was that he was never a top 3 player, and yet he was getting paid like one.

If Drury was making 4.5 million, no one would have complained(well...more like grumbling).

Sather misjudged Drury's career years in Buffalo, thinking he had 70 pt potential. Horrible mistake.

The organization should have kept Nylander around.

Anyways, if Doan will agree to like a 2 year deal, it would be more comparable to Naslund. Which, in hindsight, was not a bad signing at all.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
3 ****ing years for Doan is a joke. An absolute joke. Anyone who'd rather do that than a Nash trade makes me question their sanity. Just what we need -- a big ****ing 35+ contract with a declining guy.

Did you guys not watch the late 90s Rangers? ****, why don't we just dig up Sylvain Lefebvre, Kamensky or something.
Nash > Doan is 100% correct. However Nash <<<<<<<<< stepan + Dubinsky + Doan

Old
07-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
The Rangers don't need Rick Nash to win a Cup. They won't win a Cup next year if they subtract Dubinsky and Stepan to get him.

The young Rangers were too dependent on Richards and Gaborik last postseason. Understandably so, but if I'm a young player, it might make you play cautiously.

The team has grown up, and they're going to be a little older and smarter heading into next season's playoffs. Sure, the same was said for playoff flameouts like Washington and San Jose, but it was also said for Chicago, Pittsburgh and Boston.

Steve Larmer had a tremendous impact on the 1994 team. He was durable, he was highly intelligent and he was a leader. He came to the Rangers early in the season, and right off the bat, Messier and Keenan told him to be himself. IMO Larmer kept that team together as much as Messier.

You need guys who were leaders on other teams. Sometimes it doesnt work, but look at LA -- Richards, for all his faults, was a leader (probably one of the best in the sport). Brown is a leader. Stoll is a leader.

Don't look at Shane Doan for his age, cap hit and production. Look at him as a "glue guy". I even go one further and add Brendan Morrow at the deadline. These guys are not castoff "grinders". They're leaders...the kind of guys the younger players can look up to and be motivated by.

Screw Nash. He's a very good player, but does anyone see him as the kind of guy to carry the team when asked?

This team is very close. Very, very close. No need to knock them off course at all.
Why can't Nash be a leader? He's the captain of his franchise, by all accounts is a good guy, and has been very mature in this whole thing IMO. Richards who was traded the year before because of his off ice antics, and Stoll can be leaders, but Nash can't?

Old
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
3 ****ing years for Doan is a joke. An absolute joke. Anyone who'd rather do that than a Nash trade makes me question their sanity. Just what we need -- a big ****ing 35+ contract with a declining guy.

Did you guys not watch the late 90s Rangers? ****, why don't we just dig up Sylvain Lefebvre, Kamensky or something.
With Nash, it's all about cost though. Would I prefer to trade, say, Dubinsky + Anisimov + Thomas + 2013 1st for Nash over signing Doan? Absolutely. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that Howson will move off his ridiculous demands and agree to that. I certainly wouldn't prefer Nash at the cost of McDonagh/Stepan/Kreider ++ over signing Doan.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Why can't Nash be a leader? He's the captain of his franchise, by all accounts is a good guy, and has been very mature in this whole thing IMO. Richards who was traded the year before because of his off ice antics, and Stoll can be leaders, but Nash can't?
Richards Callahan hank etc we have plenty of leaders. Nash would have to be a scorer that's all lol.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Nash has exceeded 70 points only once in his career.....ONCE

Old
07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
With Nash, it's all about cost though. Would I prefer to trade, say, Dubinsky + Anisimov + Thomas + 2013 1st for Nash over signing Doan? Absolutely. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that Howson will move off his ridiculous demands and agree to that. I certainly wouldn't prefer Nash at the cost of McDonagh/Stepan/Kreider ++ over signing Doan.
stepan + dubi + Doan >>>>>>>>> Nash

Old
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Agreed.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I find that extremely tough to believe. But if it is true, it's a reflection of the minds of those Leaf fans, IMO, and not the quality of the trade idea.
I swear to you, that's what was posted.
And it seemed a little light so I added a bit.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:58 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Christian Thomas for Jake Gardiner. The one who went to Wisconsin?
I know.
Do the Leafs have another Gardiner?

Old
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Because trading for Nash means we won't sign anyone else? Yeah. OK.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Lundsanity30

So..according to the main board, portzline is now saying there are at least 7 teams on the list. Lol this fiasco is too much

Old
07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Doan's contract won't hamstring the organization like Drury's did. Drury's contract was high risk and made him immovable. Doan's shouldnt be.
When he further declines after the 1st year and is still making 5m it won't be easy to deal him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
To be fair, Drury was fine here the first two years. He actually exceeded his career average. The problem was that he was never a top 3 player, and yet he was getting paid like one.

If Drury was making 4.5 million, no one would have complained(well...more like grumbling).

Sather misjudged Drury's career years in Buffalo, thinking he had 70 pt potential. Horrible mistake.

The organization should have kept Nylander around.

Anyways, if Doan will agree to like a 2 year deal, it would be more comparable to Naslund. Which, in hindsight, was not a bad signing at all.
He thought he had potential and like you said his first two years weren't abysmal, but he also thought he had more than three and a quarter years left in him. No offense to Doan he's a warrior and a good player, but his style has probably started catching up with him.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Because trading for Nash means we won't sign anyone else? Yeah. OK.
The market sucks so Nash + whoever <<<< stepan dubi and Doan

Old
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
If Doan get's his 5m you probably still move Dubinsky. Considering they probably want to sign a D-man or trade for one.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
So..according to the main board, portzline is now saying there are at least 7 teams on the list. Lol this fiasco is too much
Yeah Carolina was added.

Detroit, Pitt, Philly, Rangers, LA, Carolina, and Toronto

Old
07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
RiffyNYR61

Quote:
in 2 years we'll be looking back at this post and shaking our heads.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:08 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Understand where your coming from, but Remember Drury was brought in to also be a 1st line player and leading scorer. Doan would be a second or third liner, to add to our depth.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffyNYR61 View Post
in 2 years we'll be looking back at this post and shaking our heads.
I already am shaking mine.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If Doan get's his 5m you probably still move Dubinsky. Considering they probably want to sign a D-man or trade for one.
Handing over a deal to Doan for at least 3 years and $5M per is insane, in my opinion.

Hes a 50 point player now and trending downward. No way I touch those figures on a 35+ contract.

Regarding his heart/soul/intangibles/whatever other crap, I dont care. This team has enough of that. They need skill, creativity, and goal scoring prowess.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:11 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
You want to know why people don't respect your proposals and are always trashing them? It's not a conspiracy against you per se but it's your way over the top approach to solving all this teams problems. That was the whole point of my prior response. If you don't want any advice as to how you might be able to get people to respond to you better--that's fine but I don't need all the glib rejoinders either. Basically went to all that trouble to help you out a little. I see that was a mistake. I'll try not to make it again.
We will often disagree and you and I will not be the only ones.
It is clear you attempted to be helpful and considerate, and I take this opportunity to thank you.

You make a good point.
I don't mean to be rude about it.
But yeah, I don't usually support coke for pepsi deals.

sometimes I list deals an advocate would say was comprehensive, a detractor would say was convoluted.

I gotta call em like I see em.
I'm not here for popularity. Nor am I here to provoke enemies.

I'm here to ask about how the rangers improve, speak to that topic.
Sometimes its inside the box, sometimes outside.

People want simple solutions to complex problems that actually exist.
That doesn't work. This is one reason the world is so screwed up.

Get a complex solution which basically works, at least initially in theory, and smooth the edges as you go along.

Some people just can't even consider, for example, trading Girardi, when it may at some point come to that.

I've got nothing against him.
Whether he, or any other player, should be dealt is the net of what we give up vs what we get.

We will not all agree on all that, not all the time, especially.

But thanks for reaching out, all the same.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Handing over a deal to Doan for at least 3 years and $5M per is insane, in my opinion.

Hes a 50 point player now and trending downward. No way I touch those figures on a 35+ contract.

Regarding his heart/soul/intangibles/whatever other crap, I dont care. This team has enough of that. They need skill, creativity, and goal scoring prowess.
Doan is a Neil Smith move. **** that noise. I agree.

Closed Thread