HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How good Dipietro COULD have been?

Old
07-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Blitzburgh87*

vCash: 500
How good Dipietro COULD have been?

We all know how plagued his career was with injuries to the point that its absurd. My question too you is if he was a healthy player throughout his career how good could he have been?

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
I seriously thought he would be a top 5 goalie. We laugh at him now, but his story is sad. Could've been elite.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I seriously thought he would be a top 5 goalie. We laugh at him now, but his story is sad. Could've been elite.
I agree. It is sad. I remember before his injuries he was really good. He was the islanders only bright spot then BOOM.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Minister of Offence

Coulda been as good as Jacques Plante.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:19 PM
startainfection*

if the stars aligned he could've been a consistent vezina trophy candidate and the best puck handling goalie in the league by a huge margin

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
shadow1

He was borderline elite in '06-'07 until he got injured in a collision. Maybe a top-5 goalie if he didn't injure himself over and over.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Black and Gold

Solid top 10 goalie, with great years thrown in here and there.

Black and Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:01 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold View Post
Solid top 10 goalie, with great years thrown in here and there.
This... Top-5? Not so much people..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Kershaw

Average NHL goalie at best. In the mold of a Bryzgalov/Fleury.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:29 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I don't see top5 with the crop of goaltenders that have been around during his tenure. Just on the outside of the top 5, but with seriously elite puck handling skill.

As an NYR fan, NYI is my biggest rival by a landslide, but this rivalry has always been more fun when both teams were either good or bad concurrently.

Thinking about the way some NYI players might have developed if they were consistently back-stopped by one of the top goaltenders in the league, has really developed my sense of need for rebuilding teams to immediately strengthen up at the back end. The amount of pressure on some of these kids has been pretty massive so far.

Even some of the tweeners like Hunter. Looking back the last 6 or so years, and imagine a goaltender stealing more than a handful of games, and keeping the NYI right on the doorstep in 85% of the rest of the games, could have seen some of these guys show some spunk and knack for timely goals on top of their less quantifiable skills. Instead we've seen a lot of good role players have to become scoring machines, fail to do so (understandably), and have less than successful NYI campaigns.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
BernierNo1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yeah except when he was at his best he was far better than average.

BernierNo1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Cage Helmet
Thank you Marty!

Top 5 to me are guys like Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist, Schneider(I know hasn't had a full season as starter yet) Kari Lehtonen, even Ryan Miller when he's actually playing, and not sleeping like he was a better part of last season. Guys like that. Lehtonen hasn't proven much but I think he has a good future. Maybe even Mike Smith if he can repeat a season like this.

Fleury, and Bryz aren't that bad. Bryz was much better before he came to Philly, and Fleury I never considered a top goaltender, but the worst I saw of him was this past playoffs, and that was scary, and pretty horrendous.

Dipietro I'd say average. Probably not even as good as Nabokov. I'm talking Nabokov in his prime.

Cage Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Says the rangers fan who thinks bouwmeister (sp) would be the isles best dman without a doubt

He would've been really good, he he pretty much carries that team to contention before he got hurt several years ago. If he stays healthy they probably don't need dublewiczs heroics as they get in a lot easier. He wouldve been a very good goalie, probably at least top 15, very good chance at top 10 and wouldn't have been surprised if he were a top 5-7 or so.

Of course this is pure conjecture at this point, it's sad and unfortunate but it is what it is

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Dipietro was 5th in svp in 2006-2007 on a not very good NYI team. Carried them to a playoff berth. If not for injuries he could have been a top 5 goalie for sure if everything worked out right.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Fedorov
Bab Bye Holland Next

Imagine if you could have turned into a top 5 that contract would have been amazing considering what top goalies earn.

I actually thought he might come back but getting his head broken in that fight with Johnson sealed it in my mind. I don't think we ever see a healthy DiPi and if we do I think he will struggle to be a starter. It was pretty ridiculous before he fought Johnson but when that happened it entered the "better than fiction" territory. His career, you literally couldn't make it up. Its too bad because he is a competitor.

At least he is on a team that needs a boost to get to cap floor.

Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:01 PM
mrhockey193195

I think he could have been as good as MAF is today. i.e. given a solid team in front of him, I think he could raise his game and play at a level necessary for his team to be a cup contender.

He was extremely athletic, a great puck handler, and when he was on, he was ON. Very inconsistent though...but if he reached his potential, the inconsistency should have disappeared.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if the stars aligned he could've been a consistent vezina trophy candidate and the best puck handling goalie in the league by a huge margin
Martin Brodeur is the best puck handling goalie of all-time, so DiPietro wouldn't have been the best puck handling goalie in the league by a huge margin. That being said, DiPietro had a ton of potential, and it's a shame he never met it.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Islanderfan17

Top 10 goalie IMO, he was pretty damn good before he got the injury bug.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Neutrino

A better version of Halak who is much better around his net.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:14 PM
stempniaksen

Somewhere between top five and top fifteen. I really was a fan of his puckmoving style, and think that it's a very underrated skillset among goalies. He kinda reminds me of a flashier version of Marty Turco, would definitely have been interesting to see him live up to the hype.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Cage Helmet
Thank you Marty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Martin Brodeur is the best puck handling goalie of all-time, so DiPietro wouldn't have been the best puck handling goalie in the league by a huge margin. That being said, DiPietro had a ton of potential, and it's a shame he never met it.
Martin Brodeur is by no means the best goalie in the league anymore. Though he played off the wall in the playoffs despite not having the ridiculous stats Quick had, and stole quite a few games for the Devils in the playoffs. Also was top 5 in the league post all star break. He played really good even in games he lost he looked good like the Pittsburgh game he gave up 5 goals but he stopped 5 breakaways as well as many other high quality chances in. Brodeur still is the best puck handler though. I like what I saw from Mike Smith, but puck handling Brodeur is still number 1 in my book. Of all time, and in the present times. Brodeur's puck handling shut down the Flyers forecheck.

Cage Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I was a big DP fan... What a sad story. He had amazing puck moving skills and was very athletic.

Watching him was a lot of fun.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
ScaredStreit

People forget how good DP used to be, and he showed up for big games too. The 2007 Isles was a VERY weak team, anybody who watched them knew that DP carried them on his back the entire season.

Look at his playoff and Olympic stats. It's surprising (especially considering how crappy all of those Isles playoff teams were).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I think he would've been a top-10 goalie, with some seasons where he'd be considered top-5.

07-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
We all know how plagued his career was with injuries to the point that its absurd. My question too you is if he was a healthy player throughout his career how good could he have been?
He was billed as an athletic goalie with good reflexes and unsurpassed puckhandling abilities, so I guess if everything had gone right, he would have been a Martin Brodeur type goalie, but without the ridiculous team accomplishments and whatnot. Or more realistically, a Marty Turco.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote