HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2012 Regular Season (Utter-Lee Hopeless Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 01:16 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
no..

I want the fire-sale to get started ASAP!

Old
07-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

vCash: 500
Or just the fact that he's hung over. A bunch of twitter posts saying he was at a club in AC last night after the game.

Victorino has always come off as an ass to me. Ryan Howard has had a dinner where the players were the waiters the past two years and Victorino has always been the biggest ass.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
07-08-2012, 02:16 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Am I the only one who really likes Mike Fontenot? He's like Mickey Morandini light.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:47 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Victorino is a bum! Thank god he's scratched and to be honest, I hope he's scratched indefinitely....he sucks this year, he can't leave soon enough

Old
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Pridie! Huge fan lol

Old
07-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Am I the only one who really likes Mike Fontenot? He's like Mickey Morandini light.
Perfect description. Even looks like him, too.

Now, to what you said about giving this core a mulligan... it's a nice idea in theory, but I think it's also naive and rooted in nostalgia more than reality. Especially because last year's team wasn't as great as everyone thought/wanted to believe, and it's much more likely an aging core will only continue its decline as it gets older, even if healthy.

If the Phillies don't trade Hamels at the deadline, it's going to be a catastrophic failure. You know why? Because another team is going to offer him the 7+/$175+ million deal he's looking for in the offseason, and he's going to take it. Now, this is for someone who's familiar with the new CBA: Let's say the Phillies keep Hamels for the rest of the season and he walks in free agency -- would the Phillies not get a compensatory draft pick for Cole at all from the team that signs him, or is that only the case for the team that trades for a player midseason?

Old
07-08-2012, 03:42 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I like him. Wouldn't want him to start everyday, but somebody that can start 2-3 times a week, especially with Utley's situation.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post

Now, to what you said about giving this core a mulligan... it's a nice idea in theory, but I think it's also naive and rooted in nostalgia more than reality. Especially because last year's team wasn't as great as everyone thought/wanted to believe, and it's much more likely an aging core will only continue its decline as it gets older, even if healthy.

If the Phillies don't trade Hamels at the deadline, it's going to be a catastrophic failure. You know why? Because another team is going to offer him the 7+/$175+ million deal he's looking for in the offseason, and he's going to take it. Now, this is for someone who's familiar with the new CBA: Let's say the Phillies keep Hamels for the rest of the season and he walks in free agency -- would the Phillies not get a compensatory draft pick for Cole at all from the team that signs him, or is that only the case for the team that trades for a player midseason?
Think it only applies to teams that acquire the guy at the deadline.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:

He does look like him haha. With Hamels, they're idiots if they go into the offseason without signing him. Amaro has roughly a month to figure out what to do. If he can't keep him and knows it, he needs to trade him simple as that. I agree, if Cole gets to free agency, he's going to get an absurd contract.

As for the CBA, I'm not too familiar with it but I've heard you still get pics if you sign off of free agency, but I obviously can't verify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I like him. Wouldn't want him to start everyday, but somebody that can start 2-3 times a week, especially with Utley's situation.
Yea exactly, he's not an everyday starter but he seems to me like a better version of Wilson Valdez, the professional GIDP man. He's played at least 2B and 3B this year, right? Not sure what else he can handle, but I think he's been great in his role so far.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Devastate

The only real word for this team is terrible.

They don't do ANYTHING well.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
The only real word for this team is terrible.

They don't do ANYTHING well.
not true, they are very good at losing .

Old
07-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
not true, they are very good at losing .
I stand corrected.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Amateur Hour

So, they're now 1-10 since Utley came back and 0-3 with Howard, right? Yeah, injuries sure were the problem with this team.

The era is over, people. Accept it. ****, it ended at the exact moment Howard crumpled to the ground in a heap 70 feet from the first base line as Nick Punto flipped the ball to Albert Pujols for the final out of Game 5 of the NLDS. Keeping this core together for next season is only going to prolong the humiliation and delay the inevitable rebuild that's required. It's like watching the old, decrepit family dog hobble around and bump into things but refusing to put him down because you don't want to acknowledge the reality of the situation and/or are delusional enough to think he's going to make a miraculous recovery and revert back to what he was at his peak.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:46 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
So, they're now 1-10 since Utley came back and 0-3 with Howard, right? Yeah, injuries sure were the problem with this team.

The era is over, people. Accept it. ****, it ended at the exact moment Howard crumpled to the ground in a heap 70 feet from the first base line as Nick Punto flipped the ball to Albert Pujols for the final out of Game 5 of the NLDS. Keeping this core together for next season is only going to prolong the humiliation and delay the inevitable rebuild that's required. It's like watching the old, decrepit family dog hobble around and bump into things but refusing to put him down because you don't want to acknowledge the reality of the situation and/or are delusional enough to think he's going to make a miraculous recovery and revert back to what he was at his peak.

Since September 18th of last year the Philles are 41-58. Sure they will just flip the switch and turn it on......

This team is DONE
D
O
E
N
DONE DONE DONE

Hopefully RAJ will realize this

Last edited by flyersguy33*: 07-08-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Turned on the USA/World Game. First thing I see is a Phillies pitcher give up a three run homer. Rodriguez. Typical.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-ph...9449656525-711

Really interesting interview with Cole. Sounded very positive at first, but reading what he said about signing this season...sounds like he's gone.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Id trade whoever they can

Cole- My favorite Phillie of all time but they need to try to get something for him.

Victorino - Please trade.

Pence- Would probably get good value for him, but not as much as RAJ gave up for him.

Chooch - With him being under contract for next year really cheap you sell when his value
is the highest.

Doc - Him getting hurt really put all trade possibilities at the deadline to rest.

Lee - Has a huge contract and I think might have some type of NTC.

Pierre- I think he is attractive to other teams.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Buster Olney said the Rangers are the early favorite to land Cole if the Phils decide to trade him. They say they don't want to part with Profar or Olt. Interested to see how things play out. I don't want Martin Perez to be the center piece of the deal. I don't see him as the prospect he was once thought of. Leonys Martin might be someone they look to deal.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:37 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Buster Olney said the Rangers are the early favorite to land Cole if the Phils decide to trade him. They say they don't want to part with Profar or Olt. Interested to see how things play out. I don't want Martin Perez to be the center piece of the deal. I don't see him as the prospect he was once thought of. Leonys Martin might be someone they look to deal.
Tell them to kick rocks, Profar, Olt +. The price is apparently 4-5 top tier prospects. No Olt + Profar, good bye.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
07-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Tell them to kick rocks, Profar, Olt +. The price is apparently 4-5 top tier prospects. No Olt + Profar, good bye.
There is no way in hell they are getting Profar. If they wouldnt trade Olt for Gio Gonzalez who is controllable for the next few years I find it hard to believe they will involve him for a rental player. Id at least try to get Olt and Manoys is still young, cheap, and is a CF. I would try to involve a deal around those 2, then probably throw in a pitcher. That type of deal would satisfy me as they would fill two needs for the future that could be playing be next year. I might take Gentry in place of Manoys if Olt was involved, though Gentry is 28 and will not be able to sustain his .412 BABIP.

The Rangers pitching right now isnt healthy but they are apparently going to get Holland and Feliz back within the month. Is a rotation of Harrison, Darvish, Holland, Feliz/Lewis good enough for them to go back to the World Series for a 3rd time and this time win it? Maybe, but with Cole on that team he can easily go into Yankee Stadium and stymie the Yankees in a playoff game.

All it takes is one desperate GM who believes Cole can take them over the hump that will cause an over payment. The thing is I dont see Jon Daniels doing that.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Keeping this core together
Which core?

The components of the core that are in decline (the infield) can't be moved, really, and that's the problem.

They look terrible. They look like they should be blown up. They do nothing well.

Agreed agreed agreed.

Still, if they had two relievers competent enough to retire the side in a 7th or 8th inning four out of every five times they were called, they'd be over .500.

Last edited by SnS: 07-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old
07-09-2012, 02:21 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Screw that, tell them "No Olt + Profar? Ok, the Angels are the next phone call..." *click*

Old
07-09-2012, 10:37 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
There is no way in hell they are getting Profar. If they wouldnt trade Olt for Gio Gonzalez who is controllable for the next few years I find it hard to believe they will involve him for a rental player. Id at least try to get Olt and Manoys is still young, cheap, and is a CF. I would try to involve a deal around those 2, then probably throw in a pitcher. That type of deal would satisfy me as they would fill two needs for the future that could be playing be next year. I might take Gentry in place of Manoys if Olt was involved, though Gentry is 28 and will not be able to sustain his .412 BABIP.

The Rangers pitching right now isnt healthy but they are apparently going to get Holland and Feliz back within the month. Is a rotation of Harrison, Darvish, Holland, Feliz/Lewis good enough for them to go back to the World Series for a 3rd time and this time win it? Maybe, but with Cole on that team he can easily go into Yankee Stadium and stymie the Yankees in a playoff game.

All it takes is one desperate GM who believes Cole can take them over the hump that will cause an over payment. The thing is I dont see Jon Daniels doing that.
Then there is no trade, I'd focus all my attention on resigning him. The asking price is 4/5 top rated prospects, it's been reported more then once.

Profar and Olt are a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Screw that, tell them "No Olt + Profar? Ok, the Angels are the next phone call..." *click*
Wonder how that would go. Angels do need SP more now that Haren & Wilson are on the shelf.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Quote:
Then there is no trade, I'd focus all my attention on resigning him. The asking price is 4/5 top rated prospects, it's been reported more then once.

Profar and Olt are a must.

Wonder how that would go. Angels do need SP more now that Haren & Wilson are on the shelf.
Mike Trout?

Old
07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Justified
Amaro out

I just think expecting to get the some other teams 4/5 top prospects for 2 months of Cole when they arent going to get draft picks is going to be hard to come by.

Closed Thread