HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Alex Semin - Don't shoot! (update: signed with Carolina, July 26)

Old
07-07-2012, 03:49 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
But he is rigorous in the defensive end. He even throws questionable hits on bigger guys. He just is enigmatic and doesn't always seem to try that hard.

Aw yeah nice hit!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Semin or Doan are not going to take pay cuts to come to philly. The only way they come to philly is if we offer them the most money. This is something I doubt happens. I think we give players way to much credit when it comes to winning as a means of motivation. There are plenty examples of players doing deals knowing winning is not the primary objective.
I think Doan and Semin are on opposite ends of the scale. Doan is nearing the end of his career and may want a chance to win over more $$. Semin is young enough that he may think the opportunity will come with a long career ahead.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I'm not sure a guy who plays uptempo offense-first hockey and isn't particularly rigorous in the defensive end would fit on a Laviolette team.

Jeez, who wouldn't want a talent of this kind if the price is right.
Oh, look, someone else who obviously hasn't watched Semin play a lot and is just regurgitating lazy stereotypes based upon his ethnicity/nationality.

Again, there are plenty of things for which Semin deserves criticism, but being lazy on defense isn't one of them.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Cliff Lee is the only FA athlete I've ever seen come to Philly on a discount. And that is why he is one of the most beloved figures in Philadelphia.
You missed the point. If someone was born here, chances are they'd want to come here. Parise and Suter took "discounts" because they're from the area, and because the Wild's offer was competitive. Accepting a competitive offer is really taking a discount.

Cliff Lee came on a "discount." It wasn't really a discount, it was a $120 million contract. He said it himself, something along the lines of "Once you get to $120 million the extra money doesn't really matter as much as being where you want to be."

Phils don't go to $120 mil, they don't get him. Same thing for the Wild. If they don't go to $100 million, they don't get those players. Players only take "discounts" up to a certain point.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:50 PM
FlyersFan61290

@SlavaMalamud: Pretty obvious what's going on with Semin. He has a KHL offer (from CSKA), wants the same or more in the NHL, not getting it. Won't get it.

Sounds like he could be heading to the KHL

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't someone say that Giroux and Semin don't really like each other all that much? I could be wrong but I thought I read or heard that some where. If it is true, it doesn't mean that we wouldn't sign him but I would find it more unlikely since Giroux is the face of the franchise.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:42 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Let him go to the ****ing KHL, I don't care.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:37 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
@SlavaMalamud: Pretty obvious what's going on with Semin. He has a KHL offer (from CSKA), wants the same or more in the NHL, not getting it. Won't get it.

Sounds like he could be heading to the KHL
I haven't heard that, but I saw some passing remarks about how he thinks he is worth a long term, high end deal as compared to the lower risk one year deal with a medium cap impact. He either has to be okay with a 1-2 year deal for a smaller chunk of change or he'll bolt to the KHL for cash. If he wants to bolt, let him since sometimes going for the cash isn't what you want out of your players and it can hurt them. If he wants to stay in the NHL he has to understand that past production and his state of mind will impact if a team wants him.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Damaged Goods

How could you not want this shot on Giroux's wing?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:56 PM
the lers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post

he's crazy talented and i would hate to see that go to waste...with that in mind, i was thinking the same thing last year when we had zherdev....

the lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

I remember when people said that stuff about Zherdev. Semin is VERY reminiscent of Z.

07-08-2012, 08:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I remember when people said that stuff about Zherdev. Semin is VERY reminiscent of Z.
no hes not. Radulov is much closer to Zherdev then Semin is.

boggles my mind how some cant let the typical russian stereotype go

EDIT: I am far from his favorite, but the guy is a a much better player then Zherdev is. he a perfect player? no. but he would make the Flyers better as it stands right now.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-08-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typos
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Semin isn't Zherdev. He is a much better, more successful, well-rounded player.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Not even close.

Semin has three season of 70+ points. Zherdev has none. Semin has three 30+ goal seasons. Zherdev has none. Semin is a good back checker and uses his stick effectively. Zherdev was a defensive train wreck. Semin has never scored less than 20 goals in a season.

There are two things that Zherdev and Semin have in common: Russian and inconsistent.

To be honest, I dont think Semin would be a great fit for the Flyers, but comparing him to Radulov is completely unfair and simply untrue. Radulov is much like Zherdev-- not Semin.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
no hes not. Radulov is much closer to Zherdev then Semin is.

boggles my mind how some cant let the typical russian stereotype go
What are you talking about? What stereotypes? I've watched the Caps for years, they're my second team. I've watched Semin for years. I thought the Caps should have traded the bum ages ago while his value is high to fill out deficient areas of their roster. He has an incredible amount of talent, and goes through long stretches where he flat out doesn't use it; it's abundantly clear during those no-effort stretches that he isn't snake bitten, he simply isn't putting in the same amount of effort.

Quote:
Semin isn't Zherdev. He is a much better, more successful, well-rounded player.
He's like Zherdev because he's a great talent but due to maturity/focus/mental/diva issues, that talent gets squandered. On top of that there is little indication he is a team player and is reclusive...like Zherdev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Not even close.

Semin has three season of 70+ points. Zherdev has none. Semin has three 30+ goal seasons. Zherdev has none. Semin is a good back checker and uses his stick effectively. Zherdev was a defensive train wreck. Semin has never scored less than 20 goals in a season.

There are two things that Zherdev and Semin have in common: Russian and inconsistent.

To be honest, I dont think Semin would be a great fit for the Flyers, but comparing him to Radulov is completely unfair and simply untrue. Radulov is much like Zherdev-- not Semin.
See the above responses.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
The longer this goes on without Semin taking a deal, the more I'm thinking the price coming down, which means I'm more open to taking him in than I was last week.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

I think it's telling that Washington, a team that struggled tremendously to produce offense last season, has decided that Semin isn't worth having.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
They struggled to play offense because they didn't play offense. Every game they played was essentially a coin flip

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
What are you talking about? What stereotypes? I've watched the Caps for years, they're my second team. I've watched Semin for years. I thought the Caps should have traded the bum ages ago while his value is high to fill out deficient areas of their roster. He has an incredible amount of talent, and goes through long stretches where he flat out doesn't use it; it's abundantly clear during those no-effort stretches that he isn't snake bitten, he simply isn't putting in the same amount of effort.

He's like Zherdev because he's a great talent but due to maturity/focus/mental/diva issues, that talent gets squandered. On top of that there is little indication he is a team player and is reclusive...like Zherdev.

See the above responses.
Your above responses dont change the fact that Semin is and has always been much more effective than Zherdev ever was. Your responses have nothing to do with the fact that Semin is a potential 70+ point player. Something Zherdev only dreamt of being.

You're also resorting to stereotypes by assuming that Semin's inconsistency is a result of "laziness". What about Carter? Was he inconsistent because of laziness or was he just an inconsistent player? Your assumptions are founded in stereotypes.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Your above responses dont change the fact that Semin is and has always been much more effective than Zherdev ever was. Your responses have nothing to do with the fact that Semin is a potential 70+ point player. Something Zherdev only dreamt of being.

You're also resorting to stereotypes by assuming that Semin's inconsistency is a result of "laziness". What about Carter? Was he inconsistent because of laziness or was he just an inconsistent player? Your assumptions are founded in stereotypes.
No, I'm ****ing not. I'm telling you what I watched him do repeatedly over the years.

This isn't difficult to understand, people: Semin has a lot of talent. Semin also has a lot of baggage. Feel free to ignore it, but I won't. If Semin had played in Philly last year he would have spent a lot of time in the press box.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They struggled to play offense because they didn't play offense. Every game they played was essentially a coin flip
That's not true at all. They stopped playing offense and had to switch to a more defensive style because the offense stopped producing. The system didn't squander the offense, because it had already vanished. The problem is, in the more defensive system Semin was HORRIBLE on defense. He was absymal for most of last year at both ends of the ice.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
No, I'm ****ing not. I'm telling you what I watched him do repeatedly over the years.

This isn't difficult to understand, people: Semin has a lot of talent. Semin also has a lot of baggage. Feel free to ignore it, but I won't. If Semin had played in Philly last year he would have spent a lot of time in the press box.
Oh, stop acting like you're the only person who watches Semin play. I live not far at all from you and my parents have had season tickets to the Caps for years.

You are no authority on classifying a player as "lazy". Does he have consistency issues? Absolutely. But for you to simply chalk it up to being just another lazy Russian IS resorting to established stereotypes. It's pathetic.

Again, I'll ask-- why dont you classify Carter as lazy? He has the exact same issues with consistency and scoring goals in bunches.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Oh, stop acting like you're the only person who watches Semin play. I live not far at all from you and my parents have had season tickets to the Caps for years.

You are no authority on classifying a player as "lazy". Does he have consistency issues? Absolutely. But for you to simply chalk it up to being just another lazy Russian IS resorting to established stereotypes. It's pathetic.

Again, I'll ask-- why dont you classify Carter as lazy? He has the exact same issues with consistency and scoring goals in bunches.
The difference is Carter wasn't floating around or giving up on plays nonstop like Semin does. When Semin goes into his funks, he is visibly lazy on the ice. Watching guys like Gagne and Carter try to score during slumps I got the vibe most of the time that they just weren't getting breaks; effort was there. Watching Semin during his slumps it isn't unusual at all to think he's just slacking off based on what he's doing on the ice; he isn't getting breaks because he isn't doing anything to earn them in the first place. Why do you think former teammates called him out for his work ethic? Why do you think they were so frustrated with him?

This has nothing to do with ****ing stereotypes, so I'd kindly appreciate it if you'd stop spewing that garbage. This is about what I've observed.

Edit: Another example: OV. That's a guy who even when he's scoring is still very clearly putting forth the effort. That is certainly not the case with Semin during many of his slumps...especially last season, under two different coaches no less.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
The difference is Carter wasn't floating around or giving up on plays nonstop like Semin does. When Semin goes into his funks, he is visibly lazy on the ice. Watching guys like Gagne and Carter try to score during slumps I got the vibe most of the time that they just weren't getting breaks. Watching Semin during his slumps it isn't unusual at all to think he's just slacking off; he isn't getting breaks because he isn't doing anything to earn them in the first place. Why do you think former teammates called him out for his work ethic? Why do you think they were so frustrated with him?
Oh, enough of the Matt Bradley business. Bradley was a disgruntled former Capital who trashed Boudreau for giving Ovechkin ice time. It's ridiculous. Other team mates have spoke highly of Semin's work ethic.

I'm not saying Semin is lazy or not-- I'm just saying that neither of us are in any position to call him lazy.

Quote:
Watching guys like Gagne and Carter try to score during slumps I got the vibe most of the time that they just weren't getting breaks.
This is a gem. I wonder why you got that "vibe".

Probably because Gagne and Carter are good North American boys, so it's not possible for them to be lazy. Whether you're doing it consciously or not, you're resorting to stereotypes when you draw your conclusions on a player's performance. That's part of stereotyping-- drawing conclusions without any reasonable thought other than your own preconceptions.

There were absolutely times where Carter "floated around". And if you disagree, you definitely didnt watch him in Columbus.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

the stereotypes that say hes Russian so hes lazy. hes a good player. I would take him on this team if the money was right. That wasnt directed at you. But its something I see a lot around here. Oh hes russian. I dont want that lazy russian sack of **** around here.
Lets give up the Schenn brothers and 3 first rounders for Rick Nash instead.

Semin>>>Radulov>>>Zherdev.

They are not all the same players.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote