HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Special Teams aren't so special

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
Special Teams aren't so special

We all know how poor the Oilers special teams are. For a while, it was a thing of amusement because the team was scoring buckets full of goals 5-on-5. Not lately. It's during stretches like this where the team can't score goals 5-on-5 that the special teams rear their ugly heads. Let's look at Friday's game where Colorado defeated Edmonton 4 to 1. Colorado had 2 PP goals and a SH goal which ended up being the difference in the game. Look at last night's game where the Sharks defeated the Oilers 2 to 1 with a PP goal while the Oilers could hardly produce shots let alone goals with their PP chances.

It will be impossible for the Oilers to fulfill their potential if they cannot improve their PP and PK. The Canucks generate at least one PP per game on average. That’s a tremendous advantage when scoring 5-on-5 becomes difficult. I think most of us believe that this team is better than a seventh or eighth seed, but we’ll be lucky to make the playoffs if the special teams do not improve.

Old
12-01-2003, 08:54 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
you are preaching to the choir here.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:22 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

vCash: 500
Special teams? more like special ed. (sorry I couldn't resist)

Our Powerplay has been slumping since Dougie Weight left, so this year's struggles are no surprise. Our PK, however, took a huge loss when Marchant left, and its more than I'd like to admit...Todd was great for us on the penalty kill, and we need someone to step up and fill that role quickly. (Moreau, Pisani, I'm looking at you).

On the bright side, despite our struggles on special teams (last or close to last on both categories), we're still one game below .500, and that is quite an accomplishment.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Special teams? more like special ed. (sorry I couldn't resist)

Our Powerplay has been slumping since Dougie Weight left, so this year's struggles are no surprise. Our PK, however, took a huge loss when Marchant left, and its more than I'd like to admit...Todd was great for us on the penalty kill, and we need someone to step up and fill that role quickly. (Moreau, Pisani, I'm looking at you).

On the bright side, despite our struggles on special teams (last or close to last on both categories), we're still one game below .500, and that is quite an accomplishment.
To me the PK took a huge hit when Reasoner went down. IMO Reasoner is as good a replacement for Marchant than any other and since he went down that PK has been pittiful.

Closed Thread