HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Could a CFL all star team play in the NFL?

Old
07-08-2012, 09:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Could a CFL all star team play in the NFL?

Just a quick question. Imagine you boil down all CFL teams into one NFL team. Could that team score at least an 8-8 record in the NFL?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
With great coaching they could maybe win a few games, but I couldn't see 8-8, even in the weakest divisions.

doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Not in their first attempt, no. I'll give them 2 at the most.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Teams like the Eagles, Cowboys, Bears, Jets only managed 8-8 last year and I suspect they'd beat down the CFL All Star team without much problem.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
If they can get one win I would be surprised. There are reasons why the players in the CFL play in the CFL and not the NFL.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:18 PM
NastyNinoSays

American rules? it would be tough , they would get manhandled due to lack of size, Canadian rules? they would dominate.

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post
American rules? it would be tough , they would get manhandled due to lack of size, Canadian rules? they would dominate.
Exactly. A CFL all star team built for CDN rules would not have the size or depth neccessary to compete in NFL rules, they would get slaughtered. A CFL all-star team would beat your average NFL team with CFL rules though. Take for example your average CFL LB which is like 6'1'', 200lbs, which is like a FS or CB in NFL. They just need different sizes for the different rules.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
CFL teams aren't designed with power running principles in mind. Nearly all runs in the CFL are out of the shotgun, and make heavy use of zone blocking and influence blocking principles. The offensive linemen tend to be much, much smaller than their NFL counterparts as a whole. Defenses also tend to be much smaller, with the average CFL ends built more like NFL LBs, and OLBs built like bigger corners and average sized safeties.

Just about any NFL team would run roughshod over a group of CFL allstars, simply through physical mismatches.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
No, but I doubt that an NFL team would do well in the CFL.

Just look at the American expansion teams, half of them had no idea what they were doing, and stacked the teams with guys that just barely missed the NFL, but due to their size, did terrible

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Melrose Munch

The CFL is an All offense game. It would be a shootout. CFL team would score lots but would have to defend lots too. CFL is an offensive league. The NFL would ruin them because CFL defense at best is average. I mean there is a reason why the CFL players who have made it are mostly offensive.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
m9

CFL team would get killed.

I think many NFL teams would still do great in the CFL. Many guys would have to change positions but I think if they had a proper off-season to add a few players and learn the rules they would be the best team in the league.

Plus, the NFL would have the dominant OL's.

For example, you don't think the Detroit Lions would do well on offense with Calvin, Stafford, and Jahvid Best? Oh Best is hurt, how about Stefan Logan who was amazing during his brief CFL time?

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post

I think many NFL teams would still do great in the CFL. Many guys would have to change positions but I think if they had a proper off-season to add a few players and learn the rules they would be the best team in the league.

For example, you don't think the Detroit Lions would do well on offense with Calvin, Stafford, and Jahvid Best? Oh Best is hurt, how about Stefan Logan who was amazing during his brief CFL time?
^^^^^
second that (based on the lions reference )

but even with CFL rules I strongly believe it would be a shootout and most NFL teams would win based on better off. but I would love to see this play out in real life!!

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post

O-line is probably where they would hurt most. The extra yard makes speed and agility a lot more important

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:41 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

A CFL all star team would be murdered by the worst NFL teams. The worst NFL team is better at every position, CFL kickers need to use tee's to kick field goals. Remember there are only 8 CFL teams and the talent on each is incredibly average.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
JCD

Quote:
Competitive? Sure. Dominant? Very much doubt that.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority (dare I say all?) CFL players are only there because no NFL team wanted them.

The rule differences would close the gap, but the talent divide is just too great.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Exactly. A CFL all star team built for CDN rules would not have the size or depth neccessary to compete in NFL rules, they would get slaughtered. A CFL all-star team would beat your average NFL team with CFL rules though. Take for example your average CFL LB which is like 6'1'', 200lbs, which is like a FS or CB in NFL. They just need different sizes for the different rules.
Here is the thing... while the CFL LB is the size of a defensive back, his NFL equivalent is likely his match in athleticism and speed.

The difference in size is irrelevant compared to the difference in athleticism and overall talent.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Canadian rules or american rules it doesnt matter
They dont have a chance.
The skills are too far apart

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Look at how few CFL players can start in the NFL even after they dominate the CFL. Wake... logan...

I think people overrate the CFL talent for some odd reason. They are a minor league. Could an ECHL team beat the Oilers?

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Look at how few CFL players can start in the NFL even after they dominate the CFL. Wake... logan...

I think people overrate the CFL talent for some odd reason. They are a minor league. Could an ECHL team beat the Oilers?
I would almost take the odds on the ECHL team..... jk

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Here is the thing... while the CFL LB is the size of a defensive back, his NFL equivalent is likely his match in athleticism and speed.

The difference in size is irrelevant compared to the difference in athleticism and overall talent.
Not really. CFL linebackers aren't just the size of NFL DBs, most of them are former NFL dbs. Especially that wide-side LB, you're basically dealing with an extra DB.

Obviouslly, that talent divide is still there. But I'd definitely be interested in seeing how NFL linebackers would fare covering a CFL slotback. Or, better yet, the match-up of a 3-4 defense against a CFL offense.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Regardless of what rule set is used, the worst NFL team would absolutely slaughter a CFL All-Star Game. The talent difference is huge and the size difference is even bigger.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:16 AM
keonsbitterness
Don't vote for Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
CFL kickers need to use tee's to kick field goals.
It's more that the rules allow it than need. Though there has been the odd CFL kicker or two not to use a tee, most do, and there is no doubt FG kicking is easier using a tee.

The other big NFL-CFL difference in FG kicking is that NFL hash marks are in line with the goal posts (18.5 feet wide) while CFL hash marks are 51 feet wide -- just over five yards outside the posts. So for kicks from either hash mark, a CFL kicker has to factor in the angle in addition to distance, while an NFL kicker is still much more concerned with getting the distance right rather than accuracy (assuming weather is not a factor).

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:16 AM
funky11

I think the CFL is getting underated here. Many of the CFL players played games in the NFL and weren't able to cut it, often times they struggled not because of their lack skill but their size. Ricky Williams didn't dominate when he came to the CFL .Considering that the CFL has only has 8 teams, it means that most teams have very talented players. Hypothetically it would be like a top 8 AHL team versus an NHL team.

funky11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:48 AM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Competitive? Sure. Dominant? Very much doubt that.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority (dare I say all?) CFL players are only there because no NFL team wanted them.

The rule differences would close the gap, but the talent divide is just too great.
Enough good NFLers have failed at the CFL for me to stand by my statement. But i agree, Under NFL rules, the CFLers would look like a bunch of Nugent Hopkins.

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:39 AM
JCD

Quote:
Enough good NFLers have failed at the CFL for me to stand by my statement. But i agree, Under NFL rules, the CFLers would look like a bunch of Nugent Hopkins.
What good NFLers? Who beyond Ricky Williams?

By overwhelming majority, CFLers are in the CFL because they were not good enough to even make an NFL roster.

As somebody else stated, an AHL roster (and that may be overstated... maybe more of a OHL roster) is not going to beat an NHL roster. Even with some rule changes.