HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Robinson hired as SJ Sharks Associate Coach

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2012, 11:05 PM
  #101
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,596
vCash: 500
Do you guys have a job? Have you ever worked in a team?

A great team does not compose of the best people available.. it's composed of people able to work together..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:38 PM
  #102
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,047
vCash: 500
Okay, so Robinson was by far the best candidate there was yet, we didn't want him 'cause we couldn't wait any longer.....Are people freakin insane? Do you really believe everything you read or just what it pleases you? Will it be that kind of a year really? Okay so from Bergevin, to Dudley, to Carrière, guys that most people in the league respect are total idiots 'cause they actually didn't want to hire a guy because they were in a HURRY to hire an assistant coach???? I mean, come on!!!!!!!!!!! Oh but no...it's not about them, it's Therrien the idiot who didn't want to wait. Well Therrien was hire by Bergevin, and Bergevin said that most decisions will be taken as a group so you have to belive that for that kind of decision, everybody was consulted....But even that, they didn't want Robinson 'cause they didn't want to wait....or 'cause Therrien is afraid of Robinson etc...I mean, that job had to be filled so fast that Daigneault had just been asked permission to talk the day of the hiring....yet how many weeks separated Therrien's first hirings to this one?

It's all fair to bash whoever you want to bash. But based yourself on real things here and not fantasies....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:48 PM
  #103
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 15,734
vCash: 500
No big deal, nothing be upset about

Congrats to Larry

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:49 PM
  #104
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 15,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Do you guys have a job? Have you ever worked in a team?

A great team does not compose of the best people available.. it's composed of people able to work together..
/thread

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:11 AM
  #105
FinnHab
Registered User
 
FinnHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: overseas...
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
yeah, it's a conspiracy, bergevin purposefully didn't hire him because JJ is clearly a MUCH WORST candidate and only hired because most anglos can't spell his AWESOME french name properly. of course, it CANNOT be because of other more logical factors. no. fire bergevin.
You are absolutely right man, sometimes this board really is damn circus

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:32 AM
  #106
Pricef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Good for Larry.

Good for San Jose.

Good for the Habs, we'll be fine with JJ.
There is the right attitude right there.

Pricef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:11 AM
  #107
Habanero514
Registered User
 
Habanero514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Do you guys have a job? Have you ever worked in a team?

A great team does not compose of the best people available.. it's composed of people able to work together..
Yeah, that worked real well last time with Pierre Gauthier, Jacques Martin etc...

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:15 AM
  #108
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
yeah, it's a conspiracy, bergevin purposefully didn't hire him because JJ is clearly a MUCH WORST candidate and only hired because most anglos can't spell his AWESOME french name properly. of course, it CANNOT be because of other more logical factors. no. fire bergevin.
I would've really like to see Robinson rejoin the Habs but i'm not about to agree that it was a conspiracy of frenchness that led to the Habs choosing JJ over LR.


Last edited by hototogisu: 07-09-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: stay on-topic
The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
  #109
Habanero514
Registered User
 
Habanero514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Larry Robinson's cv speaks for his self! Larry Robinson is the best at mentoring Young Defensemen.

Habs dropped the ball on this one big time!!!

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:34 AM
  #110
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Larry Robinson's cv speaks for his self! Larry Robinson is the best at mentoring Young Defensemen.

Habs dropped the ball on this one big time!!!
The best for mentoring young defensemen? That's something you can't prove...

And take two teachers. The first one graduated with an 95% average and the second one with a 70% average. Do you think the first one will automatically be the best teacher? Not at all. Teaching is about how you transmit the information... Not about what you did before.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:06 AM
  #111
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
The best for mentoring young defensemen? That's something you can't prove...

And take two teachers. The first one graduated with an 95% average and the second one with a 70% average. Do you think the first one will automatically be the best teacher? Not at all. Teaching is about how you transmit the information... Not about what you did before.
Larry has been coaching at the NHL level for a very long time. He's a good coach.
I'm disappointed by this news.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:53 AM
  #112
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,047
vCash: 500
People are clearly allowed to be dissapointed. I am as well. But people who then use this to discredit Bergevin, Therrien and Co and clearly calling them total idiots, that's so disrespectful and stupid and that goes beyond saying. There's not even 1 game played, and while I'm totally fine with people voicing their opinion on good or bad moves, this is going further than this. They've already established the inability of our management to do anything good already and that makes no sense.

And it gets me every time when I read people who keeps dissing the journalists until there's a story they like and then decide to agree with everything. And how they can just take one side of the story and make it THE story. I mean people in here are not idiots but sometimes....you wonder if they just doesn't do it to create something.

I mean, you don't have to go far. Some were outraged by the fact that Bergevin didn't contact the Parenteau clan AT ALL. And then....Bergevin said that he contacted him 2 or 3 times. Jagr claims that he would have liked to play for the Habs. That he would have liked to play in Canada....yet, how many other teams out there are in Canada? And nobody was interested? I mean, what does it say about Jagr then? Is he that good? Or was Jagr full of ****? And then Robinson who says that he understands the Habs choice which seems that he was interested in the job....and we know Bergevin contacted him but it didn't go any further. Yet, people claims that it's because Therrien is AFRRRRRRRAID. Afraid of what? To lose his job? Seriously? Therrien understands that he'll lose in 3 years so what if he loses it to Robinson or anybody else? Do people really believe that Therrien will have his job for 10 years since Robinson isn't in his coaching team? But if he would have been, he'd lose his job in 3 years? Can we actually GO in 3 years and get Robinson out of his contract in San Jose and give him the head coaching job then? Can we just give the coaching job to somebody else?

I understand that hiring Robinson, for some, would have soften the blow that the Therrien hiring created. I understand all that and that's why it's all fine to disagree and to be dissapointed but to call up the management?


Last edited by hototogisu: 07-09-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: qdp
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:14 AM
  #113
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People are clearly allowed to be dissapointed. I am as well. But people who then use this to discredit Bergevin, Therrien and Co and clearly calling them total idiots, that's so disrespectful and stupid and that goes beyond saying. There's not even 1 game played, and while I'm totally fine with people voicing their opinion on good or bad moves, this is going further than this. They've already established the inability of our management to do anything good already and that makes no sense.

And it gets me every time when I read people who keeps dissing the journalists until there's a story they like and then decide to agree with everything. And how they can just take one side of the story and make it THE story. I mean people in here are not idiots but sometimes....you wonder if they just doesn't do it to create something.

I mean, you don't have to go far. Some were outraged by the fact that Bergevin didn't contact the Parenteau clan AT ALL. And then....Bergevin said that he contacted him 2 or 3 times. Jagr claims that he would have liked to play for the Habs. That he would have liked to play in Canada....yet, how many other teams out there are in Canada? And nobody was interested? I mean, what does it say about Jagr then? Is he that good? Or was Jagr full of ****? And then Robinson who says that he understands the Habs choice which seems that he was interested in the job....and we know Bergevin contacted him but it didn't go any further. Yet, people claims that it's because Therrien is AFRRRRRRRAID. Afraid of what? To lose his job? Seriously? Therrien understands that he'll lose in 3 years so what if he loses it to Robinson or anybody else? Do people really believe that Therrien will have his job for 10 years since Robinson isn't in his coaching team? But if he would have been, he'd lose his job in 3 years? Can we actually GO in 3 years and get Robinson out of his contract in San Jose and give him the head coaching job then? Can we just give the coaching job to somebody else?

I understand that hiring Robinson, for some, would have soften the blow that the Therrien hiring created. I understand all that and that's why it's all fine to disagree and to be dissapointed but to call up the management?
It's good to try and rationalize the debate. The way some react to such news is baffling to me. It's just an assistant coach. It's not good for your heart to get so angry over such trivial matters.

Here's how I see it: we all want the best coach. We all way the best assistant coaches. Problem is, everybody here has a different opinion of who that would be. For the Habs, it would've been impossible to please everyone. I didn't like the coach recycling with Therrien, but at least he is surrounding himself with guys who have a rather fresh way to look at the game.

The one assistant coach hiring I was excited about was Daigneault. The guy has a great pedigree I thought, and he retired in 2000, so he has played in the NHL not that long ago. He made his way up the rankings and the next logical step was the NHL. Everybody in NYC had great things to say about him. So yeah, it would've been nice to get a proven winner like Robinson. But Daigneault may very well turn out to be a gem too. Sadly, for many here, he'll never get a true chance because he'll be remembered as "the guy who took Robinson's spot".

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:23 AM
  #114
Davebo
Le Gros Bill
 
Davebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Larry Robinson's cv speaks for his self! Larry Robinson is the best at mentoring Young Defensemen.

Habs dropped the ball on this one big time!!!
How do you Larry wanted to work with the gong show that is the quebec media? Who in their right mind would!??

Larry did his time with our organization, and has retired honourably. He can go do what he likes and will always be a hero to me. Despite the rantings of the ****ing children around here.

For you folks that don't like this? Good!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
  #115
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
No big deal, nothing be upset about

Congrats to Larry
Exactly !

As simple as that.


The Drama Queens on this board are having a blast...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:21 AM
  #116
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
How do you Larry wanted to work with the gong show that is the quebec media? Who in their right mind would!??

Larry did his time with our organization, and has retired honourably. He can go do what he likes and will always be a hero to me. Despite the rantings of the ****ing children around here.

For you folks that don't like this? Good!
Well Larry said on the radio he was interested in the coaching position a few years ago before we hired Martin. That was the head coaching position.
So, I don't see why he wouldn't be interested now.

But the point is we probably didn't even pursue him.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM
  #117
Habanero514
Registered User
 
Habanero514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
You people make it as Larry Robinson didn't want the assistant coaching job. It's the other way around, the Habs didn't want him...

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
  #118
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
You people make it as Larry Robinson didn't want the assistant coaching job. It's the other way around, the Habs didn't want him...
Big whoop. Habs fans turn any molehill into a mountain. It's done, move on.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:47 AM
  #119
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
You people make it as Larry Robinson didn't want the assistant coaching job. It's the other way around, the Habs didn't want him...
He just got a Associate coaching job which implies taking a more important role within the coaching staff. Sounds like McLellan is on the hot seat.

Probably not the kind of role Therrien was looking for.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:18 AM
  #120
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Habs hired a french media pleaser, plain and simple and if you cannot see that, you are clearly misguided.

If not Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe would've been my candidate!
first, we can safely say that Robinson would have had the same positive impact on the media (perhaps even more positive). Doubt JJD's hire made anybody open a bottle of champagne, besides his wife, of course.

Our hall of famers could have done miracles in the past , on and off the ice, but I do believe that there comes a point where they become disconnected with what's happening around them. We don't see it at the coaching level as much, but Gainey's last year(s) in charge points in that direction. A guy that was loved by the fans and the players he played with and labeled left and right as the most competent and intelligent guy available. I'd welcome robinson as an adviser ... no doubt, but I doubt he has the sweet touch to carefully manage the young guys comming in at the position... especially going forward (long term).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
You said it, Therrien went with the guy he was most comfortable with and not the most qualified... Tells a lot...

I don't mind a buddy system but when it's logical to hire the best guy available, you do it...
Tells whats ? who knows if Robinson was interested to come here in the role they wanted to give him ? if anything, it tells me terrien is intelligent enough to prefer guys he thought would do the job vs a guy the fans thought would do the job. A pro coach that gets hired for his philosophy is better off doing what he thinks is right than start to give in the fans' demands imho.

for me , the notion that robinson is the best guy available stops when I can't picture him understanding a single word of PK's pre-game dressing room talk.


Last edited by THE HOFF: 07-09-2012 at 11:35 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:58 AM
  #121
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Enjoy the sun Larry!

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
  #122
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 500
Again the amount of uninformed opinions and whining in here is impressive.

And if you have a problem with the Habs hiring french speaking people, just stop being a fan. There's 29 english based teams in the league. Traditionally, Les Habitants are the french workers' team. The ''Canadiens'' were the French Canadian farmers before the word was used for all people living in Canada. You are absolutely welcome to be a fan even if you weren't born a french speaking Quebecer and everything. You are part of our nation as much as we are. But just ****ing accept the fact that the Habs are the french people's team.


Last edited by LeMAD: 07-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.
LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:16 PM
  #123
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,047
vCash: 500
Point is, Habs FIRST, talked to Robinson. Not Daigneault. Robinson. Robinson informed them that he was going to wait and see what was up there for him before he'd be making a decision. THEN, Habs talked to Daigneault. They liked what they saw and heard. So chances are WITHOUT the certainty that Robinson would chose him 'cause again, HE HAD IN MIND TO SEE WHAT WAS UP THERE, and maybe with the idea that the Rangers would offer something to Daigneault or that other teams were interested in Daigneault, Habs made the move right away for Daigneault. **** that like that happens ALL THE TIME. It's called timing. The timing wasn't good for Robinson, ended up being great for Daigneault. Yet, if Robinson was so incredibly enclined to sign here, HE WOULD NOT HAVE TOLD THE HABS THAT HE WAS WEIGHING IN HIS OPTIONS. Which he did. 'Cause what if you wait on Robinson...and he goes somewhere else. But then, what happened if Daigneault moved on somewhere else? You're stuck with Alain Nesreddine? Just be happy we got a very good one in Daigneault. And just find unfortunate that the timing wasn't right for Robinson or that Robinson was NOT incredibly attached to the Habs organization so that he was in fact looking at all his options....

Quote:
«Marc m'a expliqué ce qui s'était passé, a-t-il dit. Il a parlé à mon agent (Don Cape) et ce dernier lui a dit que quelques équipes étaient intéressées à mes services. Comme je ne voulais pas décider dans l'immédiat, les Canadiens devaient continuer leur processus de recherche dans l'éventualité que je ne signe pas de contrat avec eux, donc ils ont choisi quelqu'un d'autre.
https://twitter.com/TVASports/status/222319754457780224

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
  #124
Boulette Cannon
Registered User
 
Boulette Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Point is, Habs FIRST, talked to Robinson. Not Daigneault. Robinson. Robinson informed them that he was going to wait and see what was up there for him before he'd be making a decision. THEN, Habs talked to Daigneault. They liked what they saw and heard. So chances are WITHOUT the certainty that Robinson would chose him 'cause again, HE HAD IN MIND TO SEE WHAT WAS UP THERE, and maybe with the idea that the Rangers would offer something to Daigneault or that other teams were interested in Daigneault, Habs made the move right away for Daigneault. **** that like that happens ALL THE TIME. It's called timing. The timing wasn't good for Robinson, ended up being great for Daigneault. Yet, if Robinson was so incredibly enclined to sign here, HE WOULD NOT HAVE TOLD THE HABS THAT HE WAS WEIGHING IN HIS OPTIONS. Which he did. 'Cause what if you wait on Robinson...and he goes somewhere else. But then, what happened if Daigneault moved on somewhere else? You're stuck with Alain Nesreddine? Just be happy we got a very good one in Daigneault. And just find unfortunate that the timing wasn't right for Robinson or that Robinson was NOT incredibly attached to the Habs organization so that he was in fact looking at all his options....



https://twitter.com/TVASports/status/222319754457780224
Can we lock the thread now?

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:22 PM
  #125
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Again the amount of uninformed opinions and whining in here is impressive.

And if you have a problem with the Habs hiring french speaking people, just stop being a fan. There's 29 english based teams in the league. Traditionally, Les Habitants are the french workers' team. The ''Canadiens'' were the French Canadian farmers before the word was used for all people living in Canada. You are absolutely welcome to be a fan even if you weren't born a french speaking Quebecer and everything. You are part of our nation as much as we are. But just ****ing accept the fact that the Habs are the french people's team.
Speaking of uninformed opinions... You should probably brush up on your Habs history - you come across are ridiculously ignorant right now.

I'll give you one hint: Ambrose O'Brien wasn't French.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.