HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 Draft Revisited

Old
07-09-2012, 09:07 AM
93nostalgic

vCash: 500
2007 Draft Revisited

In 2007, some thought we were the losers of the draft...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=392709

Yet, we had an incredible drafts with McDonough, Pacioretti, Subban, Webber, ...

If I remember, people really wanted the habs to draft Esposito or Perron. Esposito is going no where and while Perron would have been a good choice, I have to admit MaxPac is a great pick.

Now, in 2012, many thinks we're winners.

It goes to show that you never know what you get.

What do you think?

93nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:11 AM
WeeBey

We are technically still losers at the draft since we gave up an amazing prospect for nothing. Actually, it was worse than nothing. We would have been better off had we just given McD to the Rangers for a 50$ wal-mart gift certificate.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:11 AM
DAChampion

One thing that went right in 2007 is that we had 3 picks in the first two rounds. More picks means greater probability of success, so that bodes well for 2012 and 2013.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
We are technically still losers at the draft since we gave up an amazing prospect for nothing. Actually, it was worse than nothing. We would have been better off had we just given McD to the Rangers for a 50$ wal-mart gift certificate.
Well no, not really. It was a great draft and a terrible trade. The two are mutually exclusive.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Actually, if I recall correctly, some magazines/sites had us winners in 2007. Not sure who though, maybe McKeens.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Whats embarassing is to see how every habs poster just posted to defend their own teams drafting and completely ignoring the point of the thread... yeesh we got some kinda complex.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
LePoche69

That should temper the wave of inconsiderate optimism Habs' 2012 draftees received few weeks back. It shows it could very well become:

Galchenyuk = Good second line center who can't unload the offensive projections people had.

Collberg = speedy and small second line winger who can't finish -- decide to play in europe.

Thrower = Average d-man. Has no particular strenght to play in the NHL beside his shot -- ends up being a 5-6-7 d-man depending on the team.

Bozon = Career AHLer - decide to play in europe.

Hudon = bust

Vail = Career third line AHLer -- 2 or 3 cups of coffey in the NHL as a fourth liner.

Of course, I'm not saying that is what's gonna happen, but given the fact that statistically, no more than 3 players in this draft will play in the NHL, the suggestions here higher have the same probabilities than the opptimistic projections we read on this board.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Teamwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
That should temper the wave of inconsiderate optimism Habs' 2012 draftees received few weeks back. It shows it could very well become:

Galchenyuk = Good second line center who can't unload the offensive projections people had.

Collberg = speedy and small second line winger who can't finish -- decide to play in europe.

Thrower = Average d-man. Has no particular strenght to play in the NHL beside his shot -- ends up being a 5-6-7 d-man depending on the team.

Hudon = bust

Vail = Career third line AHLer -- 2 or 3 cups of coffey in the NHL as a fourth liner.

Of course, I'm not saying that is what's gonna happen, but given the fact that statistically, no more than 3 players in this draft will play in the NHL, the suggestions here higher have the same probabilities than the opptimistic projections we read on this board.
This is so depressing..

Teamwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwork View Post
This is so depressing..
Geez, yea, though I don't worry about Collbergs finish, guy can bury it.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One day, People will in fact realize that there's something called analyzing a draft the day that it happens. There's also another analysis that might take place 4 or 5 years after. And even 10 years after. Or if you also like another one when everyone's career will be over. The one that is made immediately after the draft exists mostly for the fun of it but everyboyd with a brain knows that it means so much.

I wasn't that big of a fan of Subban. Yet, I wasn't that big of a fan of Weber and Fortier as well. I guess that if I would have seen Subban a lot I would have understand. But one thing I know is that I've seen Fortier enough to know he'd never be a NHL'er. But the analysis that are made at the draft doesn't mean a whole lot. There's no need really to take a winner/loser analysis immediately after the draft and try to prove that people were wrong. Of course we all were. One analysis that should be taken into consideration is the ones let say made 4 or 5 years after the draft. When you had seen players progress junior and AHL and even some NHL. Yet, their career didn't go to the other step yet. And then 2 or 3 years after, when it is ongoing, THEN you go back to what was said 3 or 4 years before to see if people were able to assess the players' progression. Not at draft day.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Op is a pro-lurker. Dayum...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:19 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:

Hudon = bust

I puked a bit in my mouth.. hopefully it won't happen

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:07 PM
rockjngo

Quote:

Hudon = bust

I disagree with this. From what I heard Galchenyuk has elite talents. Potential top line center, worst case 2nd line point producing center. You don't get drafted 3rd overall to be 2nd line. Collberg has been compared to Daniel Alfredsson and would have gone mid first round. I think Collberg can be a top 6 guy. Thrower is another guy who missed being selected in the first round. He's got top 4 potential but will be an NHL regular.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Op is a pro-lurker. Dayum...
He's been composing that post for three years. Some people like to spell check before pressing submit...

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I disagree with this. From what I heard Galchenyuk has elite talents. Potential top line center, worst case 2nd line point producing center. You don't get drafted 3rd overall to be 2nd line. Collberg has been compared to Daniel Alfredsson and would have gone mid first round. I think Collberg can be a top 6 guy. Thrower is another guy who missed being selected in the first round. He's got top 4 potential but will be an NHL regular.
How would being a legitimate top 6 centerman be a bad thing?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I seem to remember thinking (and hearing and reading) that we were winners that year. McD and Max looked like good/decent prospects and Subban was considered a late pickup who should've gone earlier.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:50 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
I don't think you read my post entierly or correctly. I was refering to the fact that all you said (and many of other have said) has been said of many teams' drafts in the past, and yet, few years later, only 1 or 2 players in the draft end up in the NHL, and not as good as expected.

Statistically, no more than 3 players on this draft would make it, or not as good as expected.

You miss the point of where I clearly state that I didn't think what I said will be true, it was just to state that statistically, these projections could turn out to be true. At least, these projections have more chance of happening than the ones claiming it was a dream draft for the Habs (in a particularly weak draft, according to all experts).

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Not a Fish

Quote:
I don't think you read my post entierly or correctly. I was refering to the fact that all you said (and many of other have said) has been said of many teams' drafts in the past, and yet, few years later, only 1 or 2 players in the draft end up in the NHL, and not as good as expected.

Statistically, no more than 3 players on this draft would make it, or not as good as expected.

You miss the point of where I clearly state that I didn't think what I said will be true, it was just to state that statistically, these projections could turn out to be true. At least, these projections have more chance of happening than the ones claiming it was a dream draft for the Habs (in a particularly weak draft, according to all experts).
Your argument is flawed. When you say statistically you should look at the record of the person doing the drafting and not that of the league as a whole.

Not a Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:37 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:

Hudon = bust

Here, sir, have this Buzz Killington award.

kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:58 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93nostalgic View Post
In 2007, some thought we were the losers of the draft...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=392709

Yet, we had an incredible drafts with McDonough, Pacioretti, Subban, Webber, ...

If I remember, people really wanted the habs to draft Esposito or Perron. Esposito is going no where and while Perron would have been a good choice, I have to admit MaxPac is a great pick.

Now, in 2012, many thinks we're winners.

It goes to show that you never know what you get.

What do you think?
I love reading these type threads.. Thanks again BG for taking Gomez and giving away McDo.. Having McDo and Subban on D and no Gomez would have looked pretty sweet going into this season..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:04 PM
DiXEN8

Quote:
Alexandre Daigle says HI

DiXEN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:53 PM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1
Winners and losers are based on armchair scouts mock drafts, just search old thread and you will see that past winners are actually losers
Post #20
Wow still stand true

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I love reading these type threads.. Thanks again BG for taking Gomez and giving away McDo.. Having McDo and Subban on D and no Gomez would have looked pretty sweet going into this season..
But if we had McDonagh we would not have Galchenyuk

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Not a Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
You can't have it all. No Gomez and having Mcdo would likely mean no Gally & no Collberg.

Not a Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
But if we had McDonagh we would not have Galchenyuk
They had it all planned

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote