HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backup job?

Old
07-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 500
Backup job?

So with Al Montoya signing with Winnipeg , who do you guys see as your backup this season?

I think we can all assume Dipietro will miss 79 or so games

So do you feel Poulin and Nilsson will be allowed to battle for the backup job? Any news on that?

Thanks.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

DP and Poulin are going to split back up duties.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
DP and Poulin are going to split back up duties.

Is that what you think? Or did you read that somewhere? If so, do you have a link?

Thanks!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:55 PM
xECK29x

Snow stated when he re-signed Nabakov, also confirmed when he spoke with STH earlier this summer.

Nabakov is the starter
Poulin/Nilsson compete for a job in training camp
DiPietro

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Islanderfan17

I'm guessing Poulin, with D3P0 as the backup

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I'm guessing Poulin, with D3P0 as the backup

Yeah, our goaltending will look something like that. Evgeni Chewbakov and D3PO.

Benedict Kovalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Poulin or Nilsson. This has been clear since Nabby resigned.

Montoya is yet another UFA who has simply walked at the conclusion of a non-playoff season. The list is getting REAL long in Snow's tenure.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:21 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post

Yeah, our goaltending will look something like that. Evgeni Chewbakov and D3PO.
That's just classic.

D3PO. Bwahahahahahahahahaha.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:40 PM
bluechipbonzo

This thread could be merged with the roster thread. There's been minimal discussion on the goaltending for 2012.

That said, it's Poulin's job to lose IMO.

He's got more AHL experience and Nilsson will have a chance to play 50+ games for the Tigers, which will only help.

There will be Bridgeport graduates this year, of that I have no doubt...

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
JerseyJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
So with Al Montoya signing with Winnipeg , who do you guys see as your backup this season?

So do you feel Poulin and Nilsson will be allowed to battle for the backup job? Any news on that?

Thanks.
Im sorry but this is a F ing joke. If u cant play then fine retire.
****, excuse me i have a bad knee and snore back so i got off the ice.
But Damn it every time i hear his name drives me crazy.
Because of the 15 year deal thats just hurting the team.
Yeah the boy had talent, but if the body says no more ,
then buy him out, get rid of him, or trade him.
I am sorry he is hurt, Snow dont ever make a 15 year deal again.
If ur gonna make any deals, make on players who will produce for us NOW!
Stop talkin about him, we have a great goalie and good back ups.
Wish Montoya all thye best, he did a great job here...

JerseyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Poulin or Nilsson. This has been clear since Nabby resigned.

Montoya is yet another UFA who has simply walked at the conclusion of a non-playoff season. The list is getting REAL long in Snow's tenure.
Although this is my only real beef with Garth Snow what exactly do you think the return for Al Montoya would have been? A 6th round pick? Sometimes you just keep players so that you have an NHL roster to finish a season. Now if you want to talk about Parenteau, Satan and Fedotenko then I am in full agreement but Montoya is pushing it. That would be like complaining that we didnt trade Mark Eaton at the deadline.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
Although this is my only real beef with Garth Snow what exactly do you think the return for Al Montoya would have been? A 6th round pick? Sometimes you just keep players so that you have an NHL roster to finish a season. Now if you want to talk about Parenteau, Satan and Fedotenko then I am in full agreement but Montoya is pushing it. That would be like complaining that we didnt trade Mark Eaton at the deadline.
My philosophy is simply that you overload your system with depth heading into camp.

If your team isn't within 5 points of a playoff spot with upward tendencies at the deadline, you then unload ALL upcoming UFAs/RFAs who you are not planning with or are uncertain about being able to resign. You do this for ANYTHING. 6th/7th round picks if need be. Our scouting staff seems to be well-equipped in finding decent prospects in later rounds.

I understand some people feel that diminishes a GMs reputation or ability to maintain a certain asking price. I believe those things lie solely on supply and demand, not some strength in getting one's asking price or nothing at all.

You then allow some of the depth players and prospects to finish off the last 25 games. If things get real tight, then you sign a few guys whose season's in Europe end in March to fill in for the last dozen games or so, if not college/CHL kids whose seasons are over and are willing to play on PTOs.

I would think that a team that simply doesn't sign impact players in the offseason should be making MUCH better use of the trade deadline in non-playoff seasons. Our team has made relatively little use of it in recent years, especially amongst bottom-feeders.

I find that very disappointing.

Folks can talk about value or tradeability all they want, but true contenders will easily part with a late rounder for the Satans, Fedetenkos, Vasiceks, Bergenheims, Martineks, Hillens, Eatons, Montoyas, etc. of the world at the deadline just to add that little bit of viable depth if they feel a long playoff run coming up.

We keep them, generally win a few games of nothingness value at the end of the season, then watch them walk.

An exercise in futility IMHO.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post

Thanks.
are you related to eugene

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:22 PM
19NYSports91

I like Poulin better than Nilsson, but I'm not sure if they should let him be the backup or get more playing time in the AHL.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:23 PM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

I think the goalie tandem for next season should be Nabby and Nilsson. Here's why:
Nabby is a no brainer for the starter...300+ wins in the NHL, playoff experience, solid goalie. Even on a bad team and stretches of meritocracy this season, still finished with a winning record.
The back-up position should go to Nilsson. A lot of people may disagree and say KP60 is the way to go, but I disagree. Looking at the NHL games both have played, I think Nilsson has looked much better. Poulin has flashes of brilliance, but more often than not, he's shown he has a tendancy to give up 2-3 quick goals before the first period is even 1/2 way over. How many times have the isles come back from deficits like that in the past few season? Not many...there are a few exceptions, but not many. I was able to watch the 3 games Nilsson played in the NHL, and I think he further along in his development. I'm willing to give him a Mulligan for his first game in November against the Pens. First NHL game, Sidney Crosby's return, playing an elite team, all this while the Isles were in there usual November rut. Fast forward to the back-to-back Devils game...Nilsson was very solid. Blanked NJ 2-0 in the first game, and aside from the 12 second meltdown at the coliseum in the final 1:30 the following game, was damn near poised to make it a 2nd straight shutout. Not only that, but the dude is a giant! He's listed at 6'5", which I believe makes him the biggest goalie the isles have had between the pipes since our GM. Not saying size is all you need, but in this day and age, you're not seeing many small goalies with alot of success in the league (once again, there are exceptions...ie Jonathan Quick). The guys coming into the league now are not only athletic, but massive. Nilsson I believe has both those qualities. I think he has the potential to be our Pekka Rinne, but we'll have to wait and see how that pans out. I've never seen him play in Bridgeport, but I have seen him play in the NHL, and he can hold his own here, and that's what matters. You always want to have a goalie in net that gives you the best chance to win, and in my eyes, Nilsson is hands down my man over Poulin.
DiPietro is a non-factor in my mind, and probably in the minds of 95% of Islander fans. His inability to stay healthy, and his poor play when he is actually in the line-up is an indicator that he will most likely never be able to be the goalie he was...and he was a good goalie before all the injuries. Great first season as a real starter in 03-04, very good season in 06-07, and an all star selection in 08. But the reality is that those days are behind him.
Just my opinion though.

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:05 AM
kmo429

DiPietro or Poulin..

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:21 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Anyone know what the plan with Koskinen is?

Is he going to be at camp with a chance to fit in somewhere in our goalie depth?

Or is he back to Europe definitely?

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
steveat

Poulin is better. I'm not a fan of big goalies..all they do is cover more space...not to mention Nilssons 5-hole is the size of Lake Michigan.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Brunomics

Once Poulin fixes his mental game I think he'll can potentially become a big time NHL goalie. The talent is there in spades but he just has to figure it out upstairs.

Let Nilsson back up Nabokov and give Poulin 55 games in the AHL and have Koskinen breathing down his back every step of the way.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote