HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XXI - Roberto Royale

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
^ This.

Since the start of the season, I was shocked by how many 2 on 1s they allowed. The d-men were pinching up in the offensive zone way too often, and when they shouldn't have been doing so (and the forwards weren't covering for them on the blue line).
Agreed.

Our D sucked when they pinched. It's how we get a lot of our goals, but typically we will see someone pinching when they have no buisness doing so, and the result is a 2-1, or occasionally a break or 2-0. This is why Garrison was brought in, good defensive zone coverage at worst, maybe 10 goals at best to go with it.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Holy Mackinaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Goalies aren't judged on their yearly statistics as much as they're judged over a number of years of work. Otherwise Brian Elliot would be the best goalie in the league.
Do you appreciate how stupid that sounds? Of course Luongo's reputation is based on his past. But do you think a team trading for him is just trading for him based on his past? I mean, then Sundin should have had 100 points or so with the Canucks, right?

You are negotiating a deal with Luongo banking on him putting up the same numbers that have earned him that reputation. You want to know what he will do in the future, not what he did in the past. The original point I made was to support the one poster's claim that, yes, Luongo regressed this past year from the year before. He did. End of story.

Quote:
Let's compare the last 2 season between Luongo and the best goalie in the world.

1 - .926SV%
2 - .924SV%

One of those 2 is Lundqvist.
Again, really? So his past season has no bearing on his perceived value, right? Make sure you let GMS pondering trading for him know that.

Hanging your hat on the .928 season to claim Luongo is still elite, or top 5, or whatever, is flawed if you do not want to update that rationale with current statistics. You are preaching to the choir about how good he is, as I said earlier, but if you are going to say "a year removed from a Vezina nomination", or "taking his team to Game 7" or "three-time Vezina nominee" or "Olympic gold winner", be sure to include this past season in your assessment, when he didn't crack the top 10 in two key areas of goaltending categories: save percentage and GAA. That doesn't take away that he is still a very good, perhaps even great goalie.

It's called an objective assessment. Anything else makes you sound like a used car salesman.

Before you march out Lundqvist, try reading my post. I am referring to using these stats from this past season, which are indeed relevant, especially to the poster who suggested Luongo is still a top-5 goalie.

Did his stats regtress this season from last? Yes, they did. Period. For a 33-year-old goalie on a long contract, do not think for a minute other GMs haven't done the same analysis.

What does Lundqvist have to do with anything? This past season, Lundqvist was .29 better in GAA and 18 points better in save percentage. So, I guess, thanks for making my point for me about using current stats and not just stats from two, three, five years ago.

Last edited by Holy Mackinaw: 07-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old
07-09-2012, 11:08 AM
ontheDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Being that his best season ever came in Florida but his second best season came in Vancouver, I'm going to say that it really doesn't matter that much.

The guy is basically a beast that gets held out of the top 5 because he hasn't won a Cup while guys like Lundqvist, Rinne, and Miller who've had even less team success get ranked ahead of him.
This prob has been listed out in the 20 threads about Luu...but maybe someone who has followed could summarize:

Who are in the top tier keepers in the nhl for next season ? (not potential for future years).

I would think, in no particular order:

1. Henrik Lundqvist
2. Ryan Miller
3. Marc-Andre Fleury
4. Luongo
5. Pekka Rinne (makes the cut this upcoming year).
6. Martin Brodeur.
7. Jonathan Quick

Old
07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Roberto Luongo continued - radio: "It's time to move on"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400063

The Toronto Maple Leafs and his former club the Florida Panthers are reportedly interested in his services.

"I think playing in a hockey market is great," said Luongo. "Playing in one is a preference for sure. Playing in a place like Florida with anonymity - to go out somewhere and have a dinner with your family and relax and stuff is great. When you're on the ice, being able to play in a building that's rocking, sold out and the fans are passionate about their team - as a hockey player you always want to be in that type of market."

Luongo has 10 seasons remaining on a 12-year deal he signed with the Canucks in 2010. The deal carries a salary cap hit of $5.33 million per season but is front-end loaded. His annual salary – $6.71 million for the 2012-13 season – drops off dramatically after the 2017-18 season. He is slated to make just $3.382 million in 2018-19, $1.618 million in 2019-20 and an even $1 million in the final two years of the deal.

07-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Alexander Baigle

Quantum of Solace? That's going to be tough.

Old
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Do you appreciate how stupid that sounds? Of course Luongo's reputation is based on his past.
My argument that Luongo is a franchise goalie is based on his .919 career SV%.

Was he statistically worse than his .928SV% season? Yes.

I'm not using that season as his benchmark. I'm using his career. In the past few seasons his SV% is higher than his career SV%.

Is he regressing as a goalie based on last season?

No - he's simply playing at the level he's always played at.

In fact over the past couple seasons he's only gotten better, statistically that is.

Old
TOML

Where is the James Bond title?

TOML

Old
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
In terms of expiring contracts on quality depth players, Florida's offer can't match up with Toronto's. Connolly, Percy, and MacArthur is a deal that offers both cap relief and pieces that help with your cup run this year. You could take a deal involving some of the players Florida overpaid in FA last year or you can take IMO better players that you can walk away from in one season if you so choose too and a 1st round defensive prospect. Florida trumps this deal only when they offer one of their highly touted forward prospects, which I highly doubt they would.
Florida offers trump Toronto because ...Roberto wants to go home. /

Old
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
Quantum of Gillis. Easy.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quantum of Gillis was suggested, I vote for it...

Old
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

LOL at Canucks fans trying to sell Luongo as top 5 goalie in the league.... I assume you value Cory as a top 4 if thats the case which is an outright joke!

Top 5 goalies don't get traded... That's why a talent like Tuuka Rask had to ride the pines...

Just classify Lou as a legit #1a goalie that can win and help a team get to the post season with a good chance of achiving success. Many gmaes are won & lost on the play of a goalie and Luongo has proven he can win games...

You will get a good package to whoever picks up Lou cause he is proven and teams like the Leafs are in extreme need!

For Luongo haters, who say he chokes in the playoffs and can't win the big game.... he won a GOLD Olympic medal and got 2 SO in the SC final... Wanna blame someone for game 7, how about an offense that put up a goose egg... how many teams win scoring 0 goals... don't give me the deflated BS either... team GAME!

I really hope the Leafs can get Luongo to solidify the goaltending in TO once and for all... Especially with burkes preech of building from net out and 4 years later we have Reimer & Scrivens... but even if/when he becomes a Leaf I am not going to start on a top 5 rant...

Old
ziploc

What? What is this treachery?

Old
Alexander Baigle

James Bond title, seriously. Quantum of Solace.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:16 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
My vote goes to:

Quantam of SoLuuce.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Florida offers trump Toronto because ...Roberto wants to go home. /
guess u missed his comments about playing in a hockey market and loving the spotlight... he is only content with Florida because its him home but made it pretty clear where his desire would be...

Old
07-09-2012, 11:18 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Quantum of Gillis. Easy.
I liked what someone posted last page Quantam of SoLooce.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Pretty sure the Louongo thread count will pass WrestleMania's but if it gets to the UFC event total then its a mess.... Nash should be close... lol

Old
07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
My vote goes to:

Quantam of SoLuuce.
Quantum of So7uce

Old
07-09-2012, 11:21 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Title needs work.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:22 AM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
Pretty sure the Louongo thread count will pass WrestleMania's but if it gets to the UFC event total then its a mess.... Nash should be close... lol
More threads than Canadien's Cups...
More threads than Wrestlemanias...
More threads than Superbowls... (From Phoenix Coyotes selling/possible relo)
More threads than threads discussing the Phoenix Coyotes

Old
sayheykid

The title just doesn't cut it. You have to respect the streak.

Old
TOML

Keepin' Lu Scoreless

Pumping Lu's Tirezzz

TOML

Old
07-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
LOL at Canucks fans trying to sell Luongo as top 5 goalie in the league.... I assume you value Cory as a top 4 if thats the case which is an outright joke!

Top 5 goalies don't get traded... That's why a talent like Tuuka Rask had to ride the pines...

Just classify Lou as a legit #1a goalie that can win and help a team get to the post season with a good chance of achiving success. Many gmaes are won & lost on the play of a goalie and Luongo has proven he can win games...

You will get a good package to whoever picks up Lou cause he is proven and teams like the Leafs are in extreme need!

For Luongo haters, who say he chokes in the playoffs and can't win the big game.... he won a GOLD Olympic medal and got 2 SO in the SC final... Wanna blame someone for game 7, how about an offense that put up a goose egg... how many teams win scoring 0 goals... don't give me the deflated BS either... team GAME!

I really hope the Leafs can get Luongo to solidify the goaltending in TO once and for all... Especially with burkes preech of building from net out and 4 years later we have Reimer & Scrivens... but even if/when he becomes a Leaf I am not going to start on a top 5 rant...
I agree with everything but the first line.

I feel Lu is a top 5 goalie, perhaps not in trade value, but "as of this moment" talent.

Lundquist is easily the best IMO. Guys like Fleury, Miller and Rinne can be mentioned in the same breath, and Quick is starting to get up there. Kipprsoff, Thomas and Brodeur are on the down swings of their respective careers, and I think Luongo can easily handle them.

Old
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

I'm more disappointed by the lack of James Bond thread title than Luongo not being traded yet.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
On to the next thread...

Closed Thread