HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's Your Current Gear?

Old
06-26-2012, 04:23 AM
SCritical

vCash: 500
Well, my old Bauer vapor x15 gloves fell apart on me so I got some new gloves - Bauer supreme one40s. Everyone else in my club seems to prefer the four roll gloves, why is this? I've never used them so I wasn't game enough to make the switch

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Older guys typically like the 4-roll gloves because it's what they grew up with.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What do you think, try a Base stick with a couple different blades, or try the new Bauer Nexus?

Old
07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Chadley
The Big Dirty

Helmet: Bauer 5100 (Bauer Visor)
Pants: Bauer Supreme one80
Elbow/Shin: Old School Cooper SG34
Gloves: Bauer 4 Roll Pro
Skates: Bauer Supreme One.7
Stick: Bauer Nexus 1000 (77 Flex, Kane) Bauer X60 (102 Flex, Richards)

Chadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Picked up a Boedker pro stock APX about a week ago. It's my flex (87) and I love bauer sticks, so I gave it a try.

I'm use to using a pm9 curve (Stamkos, Malkin, Zetterberg) but this one is about a Drury curve. My wrist shot, and slapper are great, but I can't figure out a backhand with this stick. Any ideas?

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Use the big flat middle section and roll the wrists over a bit. Backhanders are pretty easy with the Drury IMO.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lots of changes this weekend as I'm trying to get out of a slump:

- Swapped my M11 for a Reebok 4k helmet. Going to see if it breathes a little better in the hot rinks.

- Swapped the waxed yellow laces for unwaxed white. Trying to even out the pressure on the foot.

- Got another pair of 13" Warrior Koncept gloves. Love mine and they are holding up great, but they are $50 on clearance and got a backup pair in all black in case I play for another team in the next couple years (and it goes with my team colors fine too).

- Added 1" to each of my sticks. Maybe get a little more sting on the shot.

- Sharpened my skates for the first time in several months...90/50 FBV (almost 1" hollow).

- Switched from black to white tape, from mid-heel to mid-toe. Also using wax.

Also eyeing down a new Warrior shaft. They are down to $80 at the LHS for an intermediate tapered which would be better than the senior tapered shaft I'm using with wood blades.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:22 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
Well, my old Bauer vapor x15 gloves fell apart on me so I got some new gloves - Bauer supreme one40s. Everyone else in my club seems to prefer the four roll gloves, why is this? I've never used them so I wasn't game enough to make the switch
the supremes and the 4 rolls are on the opposite end of the spectrum

the supremes are the most fitted ones in the bauer line, where the 4 rolls are extremely loose. if you like wrist mobility get the 4 rolls.

i actually like the vapors, which are between the two. they seem to have the wrist mobility but way more wrist protection than the 4 rolls

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
the supremes and the 4 rolls are on the opposite end of the spectrum

the supremes are the most fitted ones in the bauer line, where the 4 rolls are extremely loose. if you like wrist mobility get the 4 rolls.

i actually like the vapors, which are between the two. they seem to have the wrist mobility but way more wrist protection than the 4 rolls
That's a pretty vague statement, which Vapor/4-Roll glove are you comparing? there's the full pricepoint line in the Vapors/Supremes but only 2 in the 4-Rolls.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Trl3789

Anyone have any recomendations for shoulder pads? I know the main difference between the high to low end gear, but can anyone explain the main differences between brands. Is there even a difference?

I've liked how the CCM ufit 09's, warrior projekt And warrior hustler have felt, but I'm having a hard time making a decision on which way to go (some are on clearance at my LHS)

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:01 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Anyone have any recomendations for shoulder pads? I know the main difference between the high to low end gear, but can anyone explain the main differences between brands. Is there even a difference?

I've liked how the CCM ufit 09's, warrior projekt And warrior hustler have felt, but I'm having a hard time making a decision on which way to go (some are on clearance at my LHS)
Gearheads might have a different answer, but I've always felt that comparable pricepoints/lines tend to have similar protection. A good mid-range set of shoulder pads are going to offer similar protection whether they are from Bauer, CCM, Easton etc.

I recently made the switch to a mid-level Bauer pair because a) I liked the fit the best and b) they offered a bit more protection down the front, so there was no gaps in coverage on my stomach.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Gearheads might have a different answer, but I've always felt that comparable pricepoints/lines tend to have similar protection. A good mid-range set of shoulder pads are going to offer similar protection whether they are from Bauer, CCM, Easton etc.

I recently made the switch to a mid-level Bauer pair because a) I liked the fit the best and b) they offered a bit more protection down the front, so there was no gaps in coverage on my stomach.
May I ask which level you switched to?

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post

I have CCM U+09s and I really like them. They are about as low profile as you can get and they still offer a high level of protection. Good mobility too. I've had mine for about 2 years and they have held up great.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Hank4Hart

anyone tried the rebellion sticks?

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:18 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

34+1 P3's. Revoke PZ blocker. Al Montoya Pro Return P3 Glove.
Pieced this pro level setup at next to nothing thanks to friends and craigslist.

Let summer beer league begin!

Posted in another thread, think it was the wrong one..lol

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM
esidebill

I'm not sure on the specifics. I use a lot of the CCM U+ protective gear. Gloves, Pants, Shin guards. I have Warrior Hitman shoulder pads, but when I sit with them on, they choke my a bit. Maybe slightly big? I wanna say I use a Bauer 4500 helmet + cage. I just bought some Reebok 12K skates, no feedback on them as I haven't had any ice time. Game tomorrow and puck shoot Friday, so that should be a good test. I use an Easton Synergy ST with a Sakic curve (beast of a stick).

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
34+1 P3's. Revoke PZ blocker. Al Montoya Pro Return P3 Glove.
Pieced this pro level setup at next to nothing thanks to friends and craigslist.

Let summer beer league begin!

Posted in another thread, think it was the wrong one..lol
sick setup, would be awesome if you can remove the colored patched on montoya's glove and go with all white to match the pads

Old
07-12-2012, 02:38 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i included some pictures of my setup.

my equipment is overwhelmingly represented with a bauer logos. the rest that you cant see is all easton. im very particular with my equipment and all bauer fits me the best. i included pics so you guys could see. the stick i included in the pics broke it was an x40 senior. i moved to intermediate because im a smaller dude. the team i play for is a beer league team at the ice vault in wayne, nj called the short bus all stars (i didnt make the team name up). great league. heres a long shot but is anyone who reads this thread in the same league?

i have:

bauer supreme one100 limited edition skates
bauer 4 roll pro gloves
bauer supreme one40 pants
bauer 7500 helmet
bauer slim tinted visor
bauer shoulder pads
bauer vapor x50 intermediate P92 pattern

easton elbow pads
easton shin pads
easton jock shorts
easton synergy back up stick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 457730_804858180939_1248076430_o.jpg‎ (117.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 471970_804857851599_753254005_o.jpg‎ (130.7 KB, 23 views)

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:46 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
sick setup, would be awesome if you can remove the colored patched on montoya's glove and go with all white to match the pads
Thanks! I have since taken off the graphic on the blocker, so its all white now.
As for the glove, the way its layered I cant remove the colored section. Looking at trying to figure out a way to paint it.
Im not a huge fan of white gear, but if ya play beer league and sub, white pretty much matches every team.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:25 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

There's very little that's "current" about most of my gear. The majority of it is from my roller days in highschool and college, but in my first month ever on the ice, it works just fine (despite a bit of rust that accumulated over almost nine years of non-use). Anyway from the top down:

CCM HT2 w/ full cage
Easton Full Force SP 975 shoulder pads
Easton Full Force EP 975 elbow pads
Reebok wrist guards (new to replace my worn-out Easton ones)
Easton EQ 30 gloves (new to upgrade from my Easton street gloves)
Koho Revolution pants
Easton Full Force knee/shin pads
Bauer Air 50 skates

As for sticks, I have my old Easton 8001SR Silver (Gretzky curve -- I miss the Roenick curve I broke when I was 20) and a new Easton EQ 10 (Hall curve, 85 flex), as well as two Sher-Wood PMPsc 5030 wooden sticks (Stastny curve, 85 flex).

I bought the wooden sticks to keep my costs down and my inventory high (to avoid having to pay inflated Japanese prices after actually finding sticks here), plus I'd never used a wooden stick up until about two weeks ago. I'm really digging the old-school lumber.

Of course, I don't have anywhere near the skills for the "heavier" sticks to matter. Besides, my two composites are such low-end sticks that they aren't nearly as light as all the really nice ones on the market so all four sticks are about the same weight.

I'm not sure why I chose to get all Easton gear when I was a kid (bag included). I think it was because I was a Roenick fan back in the day, but I like their products anyway.

RockemSockemProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
Thanks! I have since taken off the graphic on the blocker, so its all white now.
As for the glove, the way its layered I cant remove the colored section. Looking at trying to figure out a way to paint it.
Im not a huge fan of white gear, but if ya play beer league and sub, white pretty much matches every team.
i wonder if whiteout works

Old
07-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I just got a pair of goalie pants, Vaughn 7500 or something. Nothing fancy, but they're red to go with everything else. I just need a chest protector, neck guard, skates and a bag to put my **** in and I'll be good. Maybe a new goalie stick that has some red in it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Hank4Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I just got a pair of goalie pants, Vaughn 7500 or something. Nothing fancy, but they're red to go with everything else. I just need a chest protector, neck guard, skates and a bag to put my **** in and I'll be good. Maybe a new goalie stick that has some red in it.
7500 is a rock solid set of pants.... you got the pro model there

Old
07-14-2012, 02:00 PM
lokomotiv15

Helmet - bauer 5100
Gloves - s17 team issue
Pants - reebok 9ks
Shins - bauer one95s
Elbow - bauer one90s
Skates - bauer one100s (8ft rad, 50/100 fbv cut)
Sticks - bauer one95s (custom pattern, 5 lie, 87flx)
Shouldies - sherwood 5030s

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:57 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Do NOT pick up a 7500 chesty. I had one that gave me stingers and bruises. If you are playing with guys that know how to shoot, you need something with better protection in the arms. One hard shot can litterally make you drop your stick and your arm go numb. I HATED my 7500. Have since moved to a Brown unit.