HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Semin - Don't shoot! (update: signed with Carolina, July 26)

Old
07-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
What are you talking about? What stereotypes? I've watched the Caps for years, they're my second team. I've watched Semin for years. I thought the Caps should have traded the bum ages ago while his value is high to fill out deficient areas of their roster. He has an incredible amount of talent, and goes through long stretches where he flat out doesn't use it; it's abundantly clear during those no-effort stretches that he isn't snake bitten, he simply isn't putting in the same amount of effort.
Even with all that time allegedly spent not trying, he still puts up numbers to match Zach Parise. I don't care if he could be Mike Bossy with 100% effort. He's certainly not going to be paid like a modern day Mike Bossy. Whatever effort he has been giving, it's good enough to produce at a high level. Isn't that what you pay for?

Quote:
He's like Zherdev because he's a great talent but due to maturity/focus/mental/diva issues, that talent gets squandered. On top of that there is little indication he is a team player and is reclusive...like Zherdev
Squandered to the tune of 37 goals and 40 assists per 82 games since his first full season. I'll take that kind of "squandering".

Reclusive... or doesn't speak much English? You can easily find footage of Semin completely at ease and joking around with Russian-speaking teammates.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I've read zherdevs name too much. I think I have to puke and prepare for horrible horrible nightmares.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I'm hearing he signed a one year deal with the Pens and it will be announced tomorrow.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Don't like Semin, not a team player and is way too inconsistent.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
No, I'm ****ing not. I'm telling you what I watched him do repeatedly over the years.

This isn't difficult to understand, people: Semin has a lot of talent. Semin also has a lot of baggage. Feel free to ignore it, but I won't. If Semin had played in Philly last year he would have spent a lot of time in the press box.
It's ok Beef. They are not going to listen. These are all the same people that hated semin 3 months ago. They are just getting desperate for the flyers to make a move of some sorts. Semin is a protypical lazy player. When he's hot, he's a top 5 player in the league, but there are far to many stretches of giving up on the play, looking completely diss-interested and no aggression/physical play ( which he is an aggressive player when he is hot).

He wouldn't survive 3 weeks here, just like Zherdev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Oh, enough of the Matt Bradley business. Bradley was a disgruntled former Capital who trashed Boudreau for giving Ovechkin ice time. It's ridiculous. Other team mates have spoke highly of Semin's work ethic.

I'm not saying Semin is lazy or not-- I'm just saying that neither of us are in any position to call him lazy.
Give me 3 examples of players speaking highly of Semin's work ethic.

Yet he has been called out more than 3 times from former coaches, players and staff.

Anyone is in the right position to call Semin what he is. A lazy Russian. It's not racist, that's what he is. So many people trying to pull the "you just hate Russians" card. It's pathetic. Hockey is a team game, If one of your teammates isn't trying, then it causes a stir in the lockroom thats impossible to quell. You can be the most talented player in the world, but your not going to win anything if your teammates don't want to play for you.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Broad Street Elite

If this was a veteran laden team, I'd be much more inclined to take a shot at Semin as an extra piece to get us a little closer to the Cup (a la Jeff Carter going to the Kings). Unfortunately, what's being talked about is a young, developing team in need of veterans that "do it the right way".

We have a shot to win every season, but over the next couple of years, the most important thing to do is build team chemistry and sustain the appropriate environment.

Semin could score 50 with top minutes on Giroux's line and the first team PP. I have long maintained that he has more raw talent that OV. The problem is that the lapses in effort are too long and too often. What message does it send when you're giving a guy that goes through lazy streaks top time? Answer: The wrong one.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
for the billionth time Alex Semin is NOT Zherdev

He would make this team better. for the right price I would sign him to a 1 year deal. If he doesnt work out it doesnt work out. let him walk.
I dont hate Semin. I didnt hate Semin 3 months ago.
Maybe some people need to stop confusing Semin to Radulov. or maybe Semin needs to change his name to Alex Smith.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Semin could be named Johnny Johnson. Uncle Sam could be his father. He could be raised by the ghosts of dead presidents and American heroes, and my opinion of him would be exactly the damned same. The guy is easily one of the most talented players in the league/world. He produced at a rate lower than Jeff Carter last year...you know, that guy who dogged it in Columbus, and who is less talented than Semin. Semin's last two years have been underwhelming, and he has very little excuse for it.

07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

the Flyers are weaker offensively right now then they were last year. They have to find a way to add some scoring. You just cant hope that everyone has career years again. Is Semin my favorite? no. but the guy can score goals. which is what we need.
Or would people rather give up multiple assets for Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash and kill whatever depth we have now even more?

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Semin could be named Johnny Johnson. Uncle Sam could be his father. He could be raised by the ghosts of dead presidents and American heroes, and my opinion of him would be exactly the damned same. The guy is easily one of the most talented players in the league/world. He produced at a rate lower than Jeff Carter last year...you know, that guy who dogged it in Columbus, and who is less talented than Semin. Semin's last two years have been underwhelming, and he has very little excuse for it.
You admit that Carter dogged it in Columbus, yet you only claim Semin to be lazy.

That is such a double standard, it's not even funny

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
You admit that Carter dogged it in Columbus, yet you only claim Semin to be lazy.

That is such a double standard, it's not even funny
How the **** is that a double standard? Speak sense. Do you know what "dogging it" is? Would you like it explained?

According to CBJ fans, Carter was pretty lazy last year during his stint in Columbus. Despite spending most of his season there on a terrible team, he still managed to produce 21g 13a for 43pts in 54 games.

Semin, who is more talented (and who dogged it even worse than Carter last season, especially considering his talent level) put up 21g, 33a for 54pts in 77 games.

That's .79ppg compared to Semin's .70ppg. Carter was better than Semin last year.

I guess those stats must be prejudiced against Russians, right?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:01 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
How the **** is that a double standard? Speak sense. Do you know what "dogging it" is? Would you like it explained?

According to CBJ fans, Carter was pretty lazy last year during his stint in Columbus. Despite spending most of his season there on a terrible team, he still managed to produce 21g 13a for 43pts in 54 games.

Semin, who is more talented (and who dogged it even worse than Carter last season, especially considering his talent level) put up 21g, 33a for 54pts in 77 games.

That's .79ppg compared to Semin's .70ppg. Carter was better than Semin last year.

So Carter was lazy......but he wasnt lazy?

And you're telling me to speak sense

Also, how are you in a position to tell me "Semin dogged it worse than Carter last year"? You admitted to me in PMs that you didnt watch Carter at all in Columbus.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
FadeToBlack

I wouldn't be against offering him 1 year, $5m or something... why not? with Prongs on LTIR, we have the room.

FadeToBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:

Carter scored points at a .64 rate in CBJ.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
So Carter was lazy......but he wasnt lazy?

And you're telling me to speak sense

Also, how are you in a position to tell me "Semin dogged it worse than Carter last year"? You admitted to me in PMs that you didnt watch Carter at all in Columbus.
Wow. Find where I said Carter WASN'T lazy.

Go ahead, I'll wait all day. You're embarrassing yourself.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:04 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Lol! This would look great as a Pens' jersey:

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Carter scored points at a .64 rate in CBJ.
While playing through injury and adapting to a new team, as well. What is Semin's excuse? His number under Bruce before Dale came in were horrible.

Edit: specifically, in his 21 games under Bruce this season he produced at .47ppg, and that abysmal rate continued for a while after Dale came in. Semin wasn't injured, either...or adapting to a new team and coach.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:10 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Wow. Find where I said Carter WASN'T lazy.

Go ahead, I'll wait all day. You're embarrassing yourself.
You've been making countless excuses for Carter's consistency issues, yet you make no such excuses for Semin who has the exact same issues.

The only person being embarrassed here is you for continually exposing your double standard.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7
Again, I'll ask-- why dont you classify Carter as lazy? He has the exact same issues with consistency and scoring goals in bunches.
Quote:
When Semin goes into his funks, he is visibly lazy on the ice. Watching guys like Gagne and Carter try to score during slumps I got the vibe most of the time that they just weren't getting breaks; effort was there.
If you were trying to argue that Carter WAS lazy, then you did a really bad job

Old
07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
While playing through injury and adapting to a new team, as well. What is Semin's excuse? His number under Bruce before Dale came in were horrible.

Edit: specifically, in his 21 games under Bruce this season he produced at .47ppg, and that abysmal rate continued for a while after Dale came in. Semin wasn't injured, either...or adapting to a new team and coach.
fine.

Voracek,Read and 3 first rounders to CBJ for Rick Nash

that sounds so much better.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

That was during his time in Philly. Nice try. When I said he WAS lazy, it was during his time in Columbus. If you think hard enough, you'll notice those are two different things.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:

So because Semin had a cold streak it makes him lazy? Keep going, my friend.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
fine.

Voracek,Read and 3 first rounders to CBJ for Rick Nash

that sounds so much better.
Yeah. I've already said many times before that I'd rather sign Semin than overpay for Nash or Ryan. Unfortunately, I dared to point out that Semin comes with baggage and his supporters have been vomiting all over themselves every since. Holy ****, god forbid I point out a player's obvious flaws.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
So because Semin had a cold streak it makes him lazy? Keep going, my friend.
Did you watch him during that cold streak? He literally wasn't trying. It was infuriating. This wasn't a cold streak, this was him dogging the hell out of it on the ice.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Yeah. I've already said many times before that I'd rather sign Semin than overpay for Nash or Ryan. Unfortunately, I dared to point out that Semin comes with baggage and his supporters have been vomiting all over themselves every since. Holy ****, god forbid I point out a player's obvious flaws.
and I was pointing that out. Whether people like it or not Semin is the best scoring FA left on the market. our depth on the wings has been hit a bit with Jagr and JVR gone.
I have already stated he has his flaws. i think everyone here accepts and knows that. That is the reason why I give him a 1 year deal. See how it works out. If it doesnt work out you say hit the ****ing bricks pal.

EDIT: I know Shane Doan is out there. But I dont think its realistic he signs with a Eastern Conf. team IMO

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
The guy is easily one of the most talented players in the league/world.
Who really knows, but why should this work against him. Why can't we just look at his body of work for what it is? As I said, as long as we're not paying superstar prices I'll take 35/35 production from a "squandered" talent any day.

Quote:
He produced at a rate lower than Jeff Carter last year...you know, that guy who dogged it in Columbus, and who is less talented than Semin.
Jeff Carter: 55 GP, 1055 TOI, 21 G, 13 A, 34 P, 4.8 GVT
Alex Semin: 77 GP, 1293 TOI, 21 G, 33 A, 54 P, 12.0 GVT

How do you figure? I am miffed at how you came to this conclusion unless you think goals scored are the only measure of productivity.

Quote:
Semin's last two years have been underwhelming, and he has very little excuse for it.
Then I'll make some.

2010-2011: Typical 35/35 pace if not for games missed with injury
2011-2012: Shooting percentage, quality of teammates and minutes all down

Give Semin his shooting percentage regressed to his career mean and his regular minutes (18+ per night) and it still amounts to a 30 goal pace even with inferior teammates.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote