HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas to Calgary?

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Thomas to Calgary?

It's crazy rumor day as the NHL's dead-zone hits much earlier than in previous years!

Quote:
Some rumours floating around that Flames interested in Tim Thomas but not sure I see how that makes sense for Flames crease and cap
https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/sta...82786944835585

With the Flames payroll, this likely wouldn't be a case of needing to hit the floor and more of a belief on Feaster's part that he could convince Thomas to play this season. Maybe a Bouwmeester for Thomas swap? Like Murphy says, seems really unlikely.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Well, that's a crazy rumor indeed.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:15 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Wouldn't be surprised. Feaster seems to love bizarre moves.

Old
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Uhhhhh... why?

Old
TSBruins13

Swap for Jarome Iginla?!

Old
07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
So is Kipper on his way out? I don't see why you have Kipper and Thomas on one team unless it's at the ASG.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe Feaster thinks he can play middle-man by taking Thomas (if he thinks he will play) and shipping Kipper to Toronto.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Shaun
beauty

Iginla

Old
07-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I guess Kiprusoff isn't good enough? Doesn't add up, but this is Feaster we are talking about.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Feaster, you so crazy.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:22 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
kipper to toronto

Old
07-09-2012, 01:24 PM
PasDaSquini

Salary dump by the Bruins?

Old
07-09-2012, 01:24 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

I swear, I can hear wacky sax playing somewhere off in the distance...

Old
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

OK wait, let's walk through this one step-by-step. Let's assume Calgary hypothetically were to acquire Thomas.

- Considering Calgary's cap situation, it goes without saying that they would be acquiring him to play, not to sit out a year (like a team under the cap floor might want him for).
- They would be acquiring a 38 year old goalie, a very "win now" move, which would at least not be a departure of character for the Flames over the past half decade, however misguided that path has been for them.
- They would then have a 35 year old backup in Kiprussof, making over $5mil/ season, who I assume they would need to move.
- They think they can pry a good (hopefully young) asset from either Chicago or Toronto for Kipper, who both need to add a goalie and have been spurned (it seems) by Luongo.

So yeah. The only way this makes sense is if they have maybe already agreed in principle to a deal with the Hawks or Leafs to move Kipper, and are trying to convince Thomas to play the year in "Canada's Texas" (as I'm sure it won't cost much at ALL to get the B's to move Thomas's $5mil cap cancer).

That's just about the most sense I can make out of this. I really can't see Thomas wanting to play in Canada, though if he were to play up here in the GWN, Calgary is the best bet for him culturally.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

In case of any Thomas deal, I can't see the Flames giving up much. 2nd + Prospect is the most I see them giving up.

Thomas' value has got to be low.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
OK wait, let's walk through this one step-by-step. Let's assume Calgary hypothetically were to acquire Thomas.

- Considering Calgary's cap situation, it goes without saying that they would be acquiring him to play, not to sit out a year (like a team under the cap floor might want him for).
- They would be acquiring a 38 year old goalie, a very "win now" move, which would at least not be a departure of character for the Flames over the past half decade, however misguided that path has been for them.
- They would then have a 35 year old backup in Kiprussof, making over $5mil/ season, who I assume they would need to move.
- They think they can pry a good (hopefully young) asset from either Chicago or Toronto for Kipper, who both need to add a goalie and have been spurned (it seems) by Luongo.

So yeah. The only way this makes sense is if they have maybe already agreed in principle to a deal with the Hawks or Leafs to move Kipper, and are trying to convince Thomas to play the year in "Canada's Texas" (as I'm sure it won't cost much at ALL to get the B's to move Thomas's $5mil cap cancer).

That's just about the most sense I can make out of this. I really can't see Thomas wanting to play in Canada, though if he were to play up here in the GWN, Calgary is the best bet for him culturally.
Kipper back up? Debateable.
Only way it would make sense is if the bruins take Bomeester.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Bouwmeester for a 38 year old goalie who isn't committed to playing this season? While they already have a starter? Surely you jest.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:30 PM
TOML

Lulz tweetz!

Even the supposed reasoning of the ridiculous rumour makes no sense. No mention of Kipper? Slow news day.

TOML

Old
07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Kipper back up? Debateable.
Only way it would make sense is if the bruins take Bomeester.
Not really. A non-distracted Thomas > Kipper, AINEC.

Why would Calgary take on a 2nd goalie making $5mil if they weren't planning on moving the other one? Carrying two $5mil goalies when you can only play 1/night, and instead moving a guy who, while overpaid, is among your top 2-3 defencemen, is crazytown. Especially when that defenceman has the same term left on his contract as the goalie.

The only way it makes sense is to move Kipper.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerheart View Post
Bouwmeester for a 38 year old goalie who isn't committed to playing this season? While they already have a starter? Surely you jest.
I imagine it would be Bouwmeester for THomas +. Thomas wouldn't actually play. If he does decide to come back the flames could send him somewhere esle. He would be included mainly for cap purposes.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

Agreed. It only makes sense if Thomas is going to be playing. Otherwise it makes little sense.

It would be a cheap good goaltender add to allow them to trade Kipper so they can get another nice piece for the team.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Leaf For Life

this makes no sense but then again it is Feaster.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I imagine it would be Bouwmeester for THomas +. Thomas wouldn't actually play. If he does decide to come back the flames could send him somewhere esle. He would be included mainly for cap purposes.
Why on earth would the Flames acquire Thomas if he wasn't going to play?

The only teams interested in Thomas, if he's NOT playing, are teams below the cap floor. Not teams at the ceiling.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

J-Bo for Thomas would be ridiculously one sided in Boston's favor..... but I can see Feaster making that move.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:38 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
This is a rumor perpetuated by James Murphy. If that isn't enough to ignore it, then I don't know what is.

Closed Thread