HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Alex Semin - Don't shoot! (update: signed with Carolina, July 26)

Old
07-09-2012, 01:26 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Did you watch him during that cold streak? He literally wasn't trying. It was infuriating. This wasn't a cold streak, this was him dogging the hell out of it on the ice.
And Carter never had any such streak with the Flyers?

This will be my last post on this subject-- I only stopped by to point out your very obvious double standard.

You've proved time and time again in this thread that you have two different standards. One that you use to judge players like Semin, and another to judge players like Carter.

For Carter, you have a countless excuses ready to justify his cold streaks, invisibility, and inconsistency. For Semin, you chalk up his cold streaks, invisibility, and inconsistency to laziness and and heartlessness.

I never said you are doing this on purpose-- most times people dont realize that they have a double standard.

That's really all I have to say. It's clear as day that you have a double standard, and I couldnt care less if you admit it. I'm not trying to bash you or your character-- I'm just trying to make you realize that you are being unfair to Semin.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Holy ****, I judge Carter and Semin by the SAME DAMNED STANDARD. Semin, because of his performance, what he has shown, His talent relative to Carter, what teammates and coaches have publicly said, etc, comes out looking worse than Carter. By the same standard.

I'm done too. This has become insanity.

07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Holy ****, I judge Carter and Semin by the SAME DAMNED STANDARD. Semin, because of his performance, what he has shown, His talent relative to Carter, what teammates and coaches have publicly said, etc, comes out looking worse than Carter. By the same standard.

I'm done too. This has become insanity.
Semin out-produces Carter and he looks to be available at much more favorable terms.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:09 AM
ThePiousInfant

I would be perfectly fine with a 1 year deal for Semin at this point. We have plenty of cap space, and if we play our cards right can make a run at some of the big fish next summer. IMO, that - along with preserving our young players, for once - should be the target at this point.

Just because we went bust on big name free agents this year doesn't mean that trading away Voracek, one or more Schenns, Couturier, Laughton, etc., to get a Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan is the right reaction. (And I don't think Doan intends to go anywhere near the Atlantic).

We still could use a winger to put next to Giroux, and Semin is the best fit of the remaining players. Give him a year in the $6-6.5M range and see what happens (he'd have to at least think about that deal - it's not like the Semin market has been tepid so far). We can afford both Semin and Voracek quite comfortably. Worst case, you flip him at the deadline for some pucks.

Of course, if Homer thinks that Anaheim eventually settles for less on Bobby Ryan, we would all prefer that. But who knows what's going on there.

Lastly, if we don't sign Semin, there's a good chance that Pittsburgh does. Hate to say it, but Semin would be a great fit next to Crosby or Malkin. Kill two birds with one stone and bring him to Philly.

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Reaper1097

Initially I was very against the signing of Semin but I have to admit, after reading the proposed trade rumors of what the flyers would have to give up in a trade to acquire bobby ryan or rick nash I am starting to warm to the idea of Semin signing with the flyers. (I cant believe I just wrote that sentence). Anyway, I think he would actually fit nicely with Giroux and Hartnell. In fact, I think he could score 40+ playing with Giroux all season.

Everyone complains about his defense, however, his plus/minus numbers are actually very good and in the end IMO that is a very important stat. I am not usually a stats guy since I think they can mislead about a players true worth, however, one of the stats I do beleive in is +/- because it doesnt get any more basic then if a player is on the ice for more goals than against. Jagr doesnt play a lick of defense and did just fine on the line with Giroux. Semin is +92 over the last 4 seasons which is very good. I know that other players are on some bad teams but when I compared semin to some of the other flyers and top forwards in the league over that span I was actually shocked...

Claude Giroux +27
Danny Briere +22
Mike Richards +34
Pavel Datsyuk +83
Ryan Kesler +44
Alexander Ovechkin +69
Sidney Crosby +53
Evgeni Malkin +25
Henrik Zetterberg +38
Jonathan Toews +76
Marian Gaborik +41
Phil Kessel -15
Daniel Sedin +104
Henrik Sedin +106
Ryan Getzlaf +12
Corey Perry +12
Steven Stamkos -5
Patrice Bergeron +64
Rick Nash -8

This list includes the winners of the Hart, selke, art ross, & rocket richard trophies in each of the last 4 seasons. Only the sedin twins have a better +/- than semin. I would never had guessed that...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Maybe Bryz can speak to him... ha!

2 yr @ 6.25 per... I'd do that.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
What's "run away" in Russian?

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
What's "run away" in Russian?
Beleive it's pronounced Briz-gal-ov

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Flyerfan808

If I were him, I'd want to play in Detroit with Datsyuk or Pittsburgh with Malkin.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:42 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post

2 yr @ 6.25 per... I'd do that.
Good plan. Once Semin is utterly confused and babbling about the vastness of the universe and shooting tigers, Holmgren can get him to sign off on a 2-year, $1,000,000-per contract.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Good plan. Once Semin is utterly confused and babbling about the vastness of the universe and shooting tigers, Holmgren can get him to sign off on a 2-year, $1,000,000-per contract.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:56 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Off to the KHL for Semin.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

As per forecaster:

ASSETS: Owns one of the best shots in the NHL. Has the creativity, offensive wizardry, explosiveness and soft hands of a supreme goal-scorer. Is lethal one-on-one and can break a game open at any time.

FLAWS: Can be intimidated and knocked off the puck. Could use more muscle on his 6-2 frame. An unpredictable fellow, he needs to better utilize his linemates and work on his defense. Is somewhat injury prone and moody. [ aka a ***** - my add ]

CAREER POTENTIAL: Supremely slick scoring winger.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?3065

Old
07-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-...blockID=740220

Lastest rumor has Semin looking for 2 yrs at $5m. It's starting to sound a little more tempting to me.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post

Lastest rumor has Semin looking for 2 yrs at $5m. It's starting to sound a little more tempting to me.
I would definitely take a shot on him for that.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post

If that's his demands, he'd be signed already, unless he has a VERY short list of teams he's willing to sign with.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:07 PM
CouturiersFrontTeeth

I would prefer signing Semin to trading for Ryan or Nash because we wouldn't have to dismantle our lineup. We already have an excellent young core of Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Read and Wellwood, along with older players like Briere and Hartnell. Throw in Alexander Semin to our current lineup and our forwards just became scary good.

In order to acqure Ryan or Nash, we would have to part with 2 of Voracek, Simmonds, Read, or Laughton and I am not willing to do that.

We have plenty of cap space, so trading away our young assets does not make sense when we can sign Semin without having to give up value.

My only misgiving over signing Semin would that he would want too many years. I'd be more than happy to sign him on a short term deal in the range of $6-7 million.

However, if he wants more years or money than that, he can go elsewhere and I'm confident we can succeed with our roster as is. In that scenario, we'd have enough cap space to pretty much trade for whoever is available at the deadline when we have a better idea of who can handle what responsibilities.

CouturiersFrontTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouturiersFrontTeeth View Post
I would prefer signing Semin to trading for Ryan or Nash because we wouldn't have to dismantle our lineup. We already have an excellent young core of Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Read and Wellwood, along with older players like Briere and Hartnell. Throw in Alexander Semin to our current lineup and our forwards just became scary good.

In order to acqure Ryan or Nash, we would have to part with 2 of Voracek, Simmonds, Read, or Laughton and I am not willing to do that.

We have plenty of cap space, so trading away our young assets does not make sense when we can sign Semin without having to give up value.

My only misgiving over signing Semin would that he would want too many years. I'd be more than happy to sign him on a short term deal in the range of $6-7 million.

However, if he wants more years or money than that, he can go elsewhere and I'm confident we can succeed with our roster as is. In that scenario, we'd have enough cap space to pretty much trade for whoever is available at the deadline when we have a better idea of who can handle what responsibilities.
I'd offer Semin 3 yrs x $5M. If he sucks, and I don't think he would, you could always waive him. It's only money and someone would pick him up.

He is one of the most dangerous players in the league, and as a UFA, would come without giving up players. Then, when his contract runs out, it'll be right on time to sign Ryan as a UFA....

I liked the extra threat that Zherdev provided at times. Can you imagine our PP:

Timonen and Voracek on the points
Hartnell in front. Giroux on the halfboards on the left side, Semin working the give and gos with CG.

That could be very dangerous...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
If that's his demands, he'd be signed already, unless he has a VERY short list of teams he's willing to sign with.
This. I just don't believe he'd take that. If, however, those were the term and dollars we were talking, I'd be all over Semin. While he is certainly a potential headache, he just can't burn you that bad on those terms.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The only thing about him that I'm not sure about is how Lavy feels about him. Remember what he did to Zherdev? Put his ass right in the dog house.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:13 PM
CouturiersFrontTeeth

If I recall correctly, Zherdev did not backcheck hard and played poor defense. Semin is by no means a defensive liability.

In fact, if we're going by +/- (and +92 is a large enough sample for this statistic to be relevant), he actually excels at defense I don't think he'd end up in Laviolette's doghouse, especially if he can pot 30 goals and get around 40 assists (which is a dead cert if he's playing on a line with Giroux).

If Briere still gets ice time with his defense, I don't know how Semin wouldn't get as much, if not more ice time than Briere.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouturiersFrontTeeth View Post
If I recall correctly, Zherdev did not backcheck hard and played poor defense. Semin is by no means a defensive liability.

In fact, if we're going by +/- (and +92 is a large enough sample for this statistic to be relevant), he actually excels at defense I don't think he'd end up in Laviolette's doghouse, especially if he can pot 30 goals and get around 40 assists (which is a dead cert if he's playing on a line with Giroux).

If Briere still gets ice time with his defense, I don't know how Semin wouldn't get as much, if not more ice time than Briere.
Didn't think of it like that.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'd offer Semin 3 yrs x $5M. If he sucks, and I don't think he would, you could always waive him. It's only money and someone would pick him up.

He is one of the most dangerous players in the league, and as a UFA, would come without giving up players. Then, when his contract runs out, it'll be right on time to sign Ryan as a UFA....

I liked the extra threat that Zherdev provided at times. Can you imagine our PP:

Timonen and Voracek on the points
Hartnell in front. Giroux on the halfboards on the left side, Semin working the give and gos with CG.

That could be very dangerous...
It's only money? That's 15 million dollars sitting in the minors. It's always nice when it's not your money eh?

There is a significant problem signing Semin to a 6 million contract. What kind of message does that send to the other players on the team. Is he worth more money than any player not named Briere on Timonen. Has he done a damn thing to earn it?

While the reward is fantastic and could prove to be a great coup. You have to look at it from the other side too. What happens if he cash's in on his payday, then gives up on the play. It's not a team message.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:26 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's only money? That's 15 million dollars sitting in the minors. It's always nice when it's not your money eh?

There is a significant problem signing Semin to a 6 million contract. What kind of message does that send to the other players on the team. Is he worth more money than any player not named Briere on Timonen. Has he done a damn thing to earn it?

While the reward is fantastic and could prove to be a great coup. You have to look at it from the other side too. What happens if he cash's in on his payday, then gives up on the play. It's not a team message.
Isn't that true with any UFA?

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
CouturiersFrontTeeth

The cap and the current free agent crop dictate how much money Semin gets. Are either of Briere or Timonen work $6mil + in cap space at this point in your opinion?