HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would you support eliminating the salary cap and revenue sharing?

Old
07-09-2012, 10:06 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyeah View Post
Pirates > Phillies.

How is this possible in an uncapped world?
How is it possible? The Phillies have had injuries to their top players...

Chase Utley
Ryan Howard
Vance Worley
Cliff Lee
Roy Halladay

Also, it doesn't just having a relative unknown like McCutchen dominating the league

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:56 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

A couple of comments for all...

1. My assumption is that each team pays their own travel expenses. So, there is no way (unless there is a "travel expense" pool at the NHL level) for there to be parity for that item (the difference between the amounts spent by, for instance, the Devils versus the Canucks would be significant.) The Eastern Conference teams get "lucky" here.

2. Other than the national networks (NBC in the states), each team negotiates its own local TV deal (for the CBJ, Fox Sports Ohio). Obviously, the amount of that revenue stream will be different for each team as well with the older more established teams being able to generate more money.

Without the revenue sharing, newer teams as well as Western Conference teams have a significant disadvantage from the get-go. Do you want those teams to have a chance to establish themselves and succeed or flounder for 10 years or so and then fold?

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Blues88

But inequality works so well!

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:28 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Absolutely not.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:46 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Do you want those teams to have a chance to establish themselves and succeed or flounder for 10 years or so and then fold?
.... um.... I hate to break it to you, but I think that there actually is a sizable number of Canadian and Eastern U.S. fans that would love nothing more then seeing a couple Southern and Western American teams fold (or to see some of those teams move to a few Canadian and/or the Eastern U.S. markets).

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
.... um.... I hate to break it to you, but I think that there actually is a sizable number of Canadian and Eastern U.S. fans that would love nothing more then seeing a couple Southern and Western American teams fold (or to see some of those teams move to a few Canadian and/or the Eastern U.S. markets).
That only proves my favorite axiom, which is that there are an amazing number of idiots in the world.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

I would like to bring up to those who want Dynasties in the NHL and the overall thought that it is impossible with the restriction of a cap to go take a look at the New England Patriots of the NFL. Working within a cap and still producing a product of that caliber is possible.

What the cap does is reward teams with smart front offices and punish those without. The reason Toronto never wins anymore is stupid front office decisions. Why should they have a get out of jail free card just because they have a bigger bank account.

KodiakArrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
brett9897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirikanoir View Post
The dog eat dog survival of the fittest philosophy does not work in a franchise system. Do McDonald`s franchises compete with other McDonald`s franchises and try to drive them out out of business. While teams may compete on the ice, off of it they are all franchises in partnership in a league together.

How does it benefit Toronto if half the teams in the league are in financial trouble and teams are folding or moving constantly. How does it make Toronto richer if the league is perceived as a failing sport and advertisers shy away from it, and networks are not willing to pay as much to broadcast your games.

The healthier the league is as a whole, the more profit there is for all the teams to split up.
THIS. When did it become expected that a corporation would compete against itself in a free market manner? That makes no sense. Think of the NHL as McDonalds. The NHL has no Burger King. There is no free market competitor. The WHL tried and failed. Now if the NHL and WHL were both still around, I would agree that it wouldn't be fair for them to have a combined salary cap as that would be collusion and unfair to the players.

brett9897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:07 PM
brett9897

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Of course a Leafs fan asked this

Look at the competitive imbalances in MLB and European soccer. It's terrible for everyone but the fans of the big teams, and even then I wouldn't want it if I was in a big market. For example, I don't get how New Yorkers are proud of the Yankees - of course the team will be competitive every year, the pay they can offer is beyond what any other club could even consider. I would never support a league run like that and I believe the salary cap and revenue sharing are the best thing to ever happen to the NHL.

As far as revenue sharing, the Leafs and similar teams require other teams to play against in order to make that money. They're not a self sufficient enterprise, they're just one member of a 30-team league. I think the league is better off in the long run by ensuring all teams remain competitive on the ice, even more so than they're doing now - i.e. the cap floor to ceiling difference is too high and revenue sharing is too little. However, I also acknowledge that after so many years of being propped up, the revenue for weaker markets will either grow as hoped or it won't, and that the health of the league isn't any better served by continuing to prop up money losing franchises.
The European soccer part doesn't make much sense. The European soccer model is so different from the NHL, MLB, and NFL that it shouldn't even be included in the discussion. In European soccer there isn't one league, there are several leagues. For them to do revenue sharing or capping salary would make no sense. Let's say that England salary caps and revenue shares it's 4 soccer leagues. Well then Serie A, Bundesliga, and La Liga, who don't have a salary cap, will get all the good players leaving all 4 leagues in England worse off. If you tried to do a multi-league salary cap, that would be collusion and would be morally wrong in my opinion. Competing companies should not be able to come together and lower their employees salaries.

brett9897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:14 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett9897 View Post
The European soccer part doesn't make much sense. The European soccer model is so different from the NHL, MLB, and NFL that it shouldn't even be included in the discussion. In European soccer there isn't one league, there are several leagues. For them to do revenue sharing or capping salary would make no sense. Let's say that England salary caps and revenue shares it's 4 soccer leagues. Well then Serie A, Bundesliga, and La Liga, who don't have a salary cap, will get all the good players leaving all 4 leagues in England worse off. If you tried to do a multi-league salary cap, that would be collusion and would be morally wrong in my opinion. Competing companies should not be able to come together and lower their employees salaries.
You're reading way too much in to that. I never said European soccer should have a cap or that it would be realistic to hope for that, I was merely providing an example of how imbalanced leagues without caps are to illustrate why I don't want the NHL to be uncapped. It was a perfectly valid point within the context of my post.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

no no no non o on on on on on no no no no no no no no no n on on on

not only does the salary cap prevent teams from outspending everyone else to build the best team, the salary floor prevents owners from spending a pathetic amount of money on players because they don't care about winning and they're making a profit.

Last edited by Jesus Vitale: 07-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I'm not even kidding, I foresee a salary cap + revenue sharing + massive rollbacks (which may or may not include contraction) in the NHL's future.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote