HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas to Calgary?

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
This is a rumor perpetuated by James Murphy. If that isn't enough to ignore it, then I don't know what is.
I know myself, and most likely other flames fans have no clue who Murphy is.

If he is the equivalent of our Eric Francis, then we can completely disregard the tweet.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Hopkins to Hall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Not really. A non-distracted Thomas > Kipper, AINEC.
It's definitely close. Calgary would be in big trouble without Kipper.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins to Hall View Post
It's definitely close. Calgary would be in big trouble without Kipper a goalie who can bail their sub-par defense out, something Thomas is just as good at, if not better than Kipper is.
Fixed.

Still don't think this trade sees the light of day, though.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
pedrospecialk

Send a message via AIM to pedrospecialk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
I know myself, and most likely other flames fans have no clue who Murphy is.

If he is the equivalent of our Eric Francis, then we can completely disregard the tweet.
Safe to say he misses the target... often.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Perro

Quote:
Why on earth would the Flames acquire Thomas if he wasn't going to play?

The only teams interested in Thomas, if he's NOT playing, are teams below the cap floor. Not teams at the ceiling.
Because that would be the only way Boston would agree to take on Jay Bo's cap hit. Calgary would still save hit this year and would not have Bouwmeesters salary next year.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:54 PM
mikelvl

vCash: 487
The silly season is upon us

Why Murph Why?

Old
07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

its so out of left field and makes so little sense that their must be some truth. not even eklund would make up a rumor that makes as little on the surface sense as this one.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:04 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Because that would be the only way Boston would agree to take on Jay Bo's cap hit. Calgary would still save hit this year and would not have Bouwmeesters salary next year.
Why would Calgary be interested in dealing Bouwmeester for, quite literally, nothing? If anything, BOSTON is the team that should expect absolutely nothing in return for Thomas's $5mil cap hit that, as it stands now, is just a completely wasted $5 mil from their cap.

Look at what some of the UFA defencemen around the league are getting. I mean, look at Carle.

Bouwmeester is overpaid, but there are still teams that would send Calgary some very real assets for him. They wouldn't trade him for a $5mil cap hit that won't play for them, that's for sure. They're not currently over the cap, and since there are no more plans to add salary this year (IMO), there's no reason to rid themselves of Bouwmeester for, quite literally, nothing in return.

C'mon, man. Keep up with the rest of us, here.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:05 PM
blankall

Quote:
OK wait, let's walk through this one step-by-step. Let's assume Calgary hypothetically were to acquire Thomas.

- Considering Calgary's cap situation, it goes without saying that they would be acquiring him to play, not to sit out a year (like a team under the cap floor might want him for).
- They would be acquiring a 38 year old goalie, a very "win now" move, which would at least not be a departure of character for the Flames over the past half decade, however misguided that path has been for them.
- They would then have a 35 year old backup in Kiprussof, making over $5mil/ season, who I assume they would need to move.
- They think they can pry a good (hopefully young) asset from either Chicago or Toronto for Kipper, who both need to add a goalie and have been spurned (it seems) by Luongo.

So yeah. The only way this makes sense is if they have maybe already agreed in principle to a deal with the Hawks or Leafs to move Kipper, and are trying to convince Thomas to play the year in "Canada's Texas" (as I'm sure it won't cost much at ALL to get the B's to move Thomas's $5mil cap cancer).

That's just about the most sense I can make out of this. I really can't see Thomas wanting to play in Canada, though if he were to play up here in the GWN, Calgary is the best bet for him culturally.
If Feaster pulls that off, he's a genius. The return for Kipper would be decent, and he'd be creating an asset out of nothing.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:07 PM
supert

Quote:
Not really. A non-distracted Thomas > Kipper, AINEC.

Why would Calgary take on a 2nd goalie making $5mil if they weren't planning on moving the other one? Carrying two $5mil goalies when you can only play 1/night, and instead moving a guy who, while overpaid, is among your top 2-3 defencemen, is crazytown. Especially when that defenceman has the same term left on his contract as the goalie.

The only way it makes sense is to move Kipper.
As an Oilers fan first and a Flames second I would take Kipper over Thomas AINEC . Thomas was great during the cup run , but this year he been a pain in the a$$ and a distraction to his team . Kipper has never been a problem . A great team mate who goes out there and plays hard

Old
07-09-2012, 02:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Here's my issue.

Thomas to calgary only makes sense if they move kipper out (toronto, fla, chi, etc).
If you're moving kipper out, you dont want the replacement to be a guy who might not even play next year.

makes little sense to me.

07-09-2012, 02:09 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Why would Calgary be interested in dealing Bouwmeester for, quite literally, nothing? If anything, BOSTON is the team that should expect absolutely nothing in return for Thomas's $5mil cap hit that, as it stands now, is just a completely wasted $5 mil from their cap.

Look at what some of the UFA defencemen around the league are getting. I mean, look at Carle.

Bouwmeester is overpaid, but there are still teams that would send Calgary some very real assets for him. They wouldn't trade him for a $5mil cap hit that won't play for them, that's for sure. They're not currently over the cap, and since there are no more plans to add salary this year (IMO), there's no reason to rid themselves of Bouwmeester for, quite literally, nothing in return.

Nobody said that would be the only part of the trade. Just that the Bruins would want to part with that $5 million hit if they were taking Bouwmeester's K. I don't think anybody said straight up.

I doubt Timmy would play for the Flames, but maybe there have been weird rumblings of Timmy wanting to play in Toronto for Burke in order to suck up for the USA 2014 team. Probably total b.s., but maybe Calgary can then move Thomas to Toronto for some assets, along with the other assets the Bruins give Calgary for Bouw.

So far-fetched, my brain hurts. But strange things do happen sometimes.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
BruinsPortugal

Just murphy being murphy.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Perro

Quote:

Holy **** batman. I said it would have to be Thomas + for christ sakes. Plus not once did I say I would agree with it. I think it would be crazy, but is a way that this rumour is plausable. Personally I do not mind Bouwmeester, but the flames have 8 defensman signed, and if they do trade him would have to take some salary back. Thomas would only be salary.
Way to take it to a personal level though.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:14 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Holy **** batman. I said it would have to be Thomas + for christ sakes. Plus not once did I say I would agree with it. I think it would be crazy, but is a way that this rumour is plausable. Personally I do not mind Bouwmeester, but the flames have 8 defensman signed, and if they do trade him would have to take some salary back. Thomas would only be salary.
Way to take it to a personal level though.
Never took it personally (I don't have a horse in this race), though I completely missed the part where you said "Thomas+", so my bad on that one.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:14 PM
The Hendog

Feaster what are you up to...?
I am scared

Old
07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
I am scared
It's a BS rumor from some no-name.

But please, be more dramatic.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
flamesfan04

The only way I see this making sense is if Calgary got Thomas for someone like Babchuk (who Calgary would like to unload anyway). Calgary unloads a contract they want gone, and boston does the same (reducing the boston overall cap). Thomas then sits the year.

Then to have this make any sense for Calgary, Boston either includes a prospect OR, more likely, Calgary has something in the works with Nashville of NYI (who both supposedly want JBow) where they package Jbow and Thomas together, helping that team reach the floor.

Seems a bit of a stretch either way, but to me, the only way it makes sense!

Old
07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
I am scared
Don't worry it's probably a BS rumour. Would be nice to have some cap room next off season to through at Getzlaf, who correct me if I am wrong played for the hitman.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Yeah, ok...

The ONLY way I see this trade happening is if Kipper is going to TO or Chicago. But, Feaster said that Kipper and Iginla were off limits.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
trudatman
Ninety Flow

Timmy would be nearer to his family and he would be cashing checks, so I think you all need to understand that Thomas saying he "will take the year off" means "if [he] has to stay on the Boston roster, [he] will take the year off." he will be playing elsewhere before the playoffs next season, assuming no planetary catastrophe in which he feels the need to hide in the mountains or in one of the underground megabunker communities below those fires. he may believe we are about to be invaded by aliens and/or subjected to the results of a major polar shift. Boston is at sea level (and he hates Cam Neely). my point is: he's only quitting the Bruins, not hockey.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
compan

I GUESS we can take Iginla off Feaster's hands if that's the case...

Old
07-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
its so out of left field and makes so little sense that their must be some truth. not even eklund would make up a rumor that makes as little on the surface sense as this one.
I somewhat agree. It seems like Calgary would be the last place a Thomas deal makes sense. Unless this guy used that fact to really drum up the level of WTF and the joke is ultimately on us...

That said a creative deal combined with a Kiprusoff deal would be ok in my books. Thomas is a real wildcard (in a good way) and I would like Kiprusoff go to a contender (Chicago, cough, cough), he has showed up for 70+ games a year behind the good, bad, and the ugly for many seasons and has never showed frustration or a negative attitude. I would love to see him win a Cup, he's certainly still good enough.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It's a BS rumor from some no-name.

But please, be more dramatic.
Quote:
Don't worry it's probably a BS rumour. Would be nice to have some cap room next off season to through at Getzlaf, who correct me if I am wrong played for the hitman.
Sorry I forgot the face - I am not really that scared because this seems like one of the craziest rumors of the off season

And in regards to Getzlaf - I am unsure of his character and if the Flames would want him

A rumor I have heard and no I don't have a source so this could in fact be complete BS but during his last year as a Hitman, he may have not always put in a 100% effort in order to be drafted lower aka by a team that wasn't completely horrible and poorly run (see CBJ & NYI)

Old
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
FlamingTelepath

vCash: 1383
Stajan for Thomas (I'm being serious)
Kipper for Leddy + 2nd

Closed Thread