HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott knows his role with Sabres

Old
07-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
To the guy being challenged, it's a "hey, I'm a real hockey player, go f' yourself" response. To the challenger, it's "hey, chicken ****, man up". I suspect fans of both teams are going to have one helluva interesting year justifying/defending/debating what goes on between these two teams.

Pretty much. And like I said, it's a freaking two minute powerplay. Go take the penalty and get it on. Stop acting like being short for 2 minutes or in the box for 17 is some great punishment. If there is beating to be done, commence with it and stop hiding behind the chance of a PK.

Yeah. They have three regular defensemen who play a mildly to fairly rugged game (Myers, Weber, Regehr) but almost no one in the top 9 forwards does. Scott's a nice addition, but does not solve the relative spinelessness of the majority of the roster.
That's what I'm hoping for... but i'm not expecting it from Lindy.

The next time Lucic does his thing... send John Scott after Tyler Seguin

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

It's cool that an enormous guy with 5 pts and 250 PIMs in 150 games knows his role on the team

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:22 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
That's what I'm hoping for... but i'm not expecting it from Lindy.

The next time Lucic does his thing... send John Scott after Tyler Seguin
And then send Peters out after Alfie/Spezza?
I'm just praying that Lindy actually uses Scott for what he's good at, rather than wasting his time trying to mold him into a real hockey player.

...Or he can do the latter if it results in him being fired, though I'm not too keen on any of the coaches that are available right now as replacement options. Too bad Eakins signed an extension with the Marlies. I feel like he'd be a good coach for the kind of roster we have now, with lots of young guys on it.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You're really asking why the additons of Scott, etc are being discussed in relation to the Bruins?
No, not at all. That's obvious - Sabres fans are obsessed with the idea of beating up the Bruins after what transpired last year.

It's eerily similar to the outlook that Vancouver fans have.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Let's look at what they have for a moment:

McCormick is not the guy he was pre-concussion and pre-contract. He's a ghost of his former self. Will he rebound? That's a big question given how much he's making compared to more effective players at his role.

Weber's game slipped considerably last season to the point it's possible he is the odd man out when it comes time to sort out the backline, because he's stunk in his recent body of work.

Kaleta playing more than 60 games is not a given. He's brittle and inconsistent with his hitting due to injury. The wear was showing last year -- Ott being around will likely spark him up a bit, but how much can he take? What's he going to break this time?

And Regehr was on the team at this point last year.

They're still relying on the kids to do stand up and shoulder a lot of the load in this area. Can they? Maybe. Will they? That remains to be seen. Enough previous Sabres get to a point with their physical investment and then pull back. Foligno in the top 9, great. Is Tropp a legit top 9 forward at this point? Maybe, maybe not. McNabb's on the outside looking in per Regier's comments.

I don't think it's nitpicking at all to point out the lower line grit guys they have may not be up to the task, that they may not operate up to levels from the past.
I don't disagree with your characterization of some players. I guess I'm looking at things with the glass half full and obviously you're viewing it as half empty. I'm also looking at this based on how I think this team will be structured next year.

I'm expecting Ruff to stick with the 3 line setup we ended the season with. I've felt this way since the offseason started. That set up had the 4th line getting roughly 7mins a night, well at least that was the case for McCormick/Kaleta. Gerbe got more ice time than that.

I thought 2 spots in the top 9 were likely to get changed this offseason. They were Tropp and Roy's. I expect Ott to take Tropp's place in the top 9 and we have center as yet to be acquired that will replace Roy.

So we're potentially looking at

Leino/XXX/Pommer
Ott/Hodgson/Vanek
Foligno/Ennis/Stafford

Then we get to the 4th line and our options are; Gerbe, Kaleta, Tropp, McCormick, Ellis and Scott.

We'll also have a minimal amount of back to backs this coming season. So I expect Scott to dress for a good amount of games with top 9ers double shifting on the 4th line if needed, similar to when Peters was here.

In this setup McCormick and Kaleta will not be relied on like they were previously. So if they can't bring it we have other options. That wasn't the case in previous years. Plus when they are in the lineup they won't be relied as much as they were in the past either.

I don't think we are the Broadstreet bullies by any strecth of the imagination. But I think we have enough stones to deal with what may come our way. I think we are in much better shape than last season and thats a good start.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
I don;t think we are the broadstreet bulllies by any strecth of the imagination. but i think we have enough stones to deal with what may come our way. Its a start.
I think the center that's brought in to play with Leino and Pominville is key.

If he's a player that initiates contact on a regular basis, then I'll consider the offseason a success.

I still feel that without that center, there's a void on this team in terms of toughness.

Regier certainly has them trending in the right direction, though.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

If he's a player that initiates contact on a regular basis, then I'll consider the offseason a success.

I still feel that without that center, there's a void on this team in terms of toughness.

They just drafted that center and he is likely to be 1-2 years away.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
They just drafted that center and he is likely to be 1-2 years away.
Which is why I said they're trending in the right direction.

I'm sure he's eyeing stopgaps until Girgensons is ready.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I really wish we'd stop talking about Boston at some point.
Yeah, I know Zip but the article spelled out the truth, The Lucic Incident was the defining moment of the season. It took the team 25+ games to get back on track. Unless the Sabres as a team, and organization addressed the Bruins, we'd never have respect. 5 guys on the ice, and 5 guys did nothing.

My personal opinion, was the incident at least coast us a playoff spot. Look at what NHL players said, NHL coaches and reporters, they said we were a bunch of wusses. It needed to be addressed.

Just look at a guy like Scott thought of it:

ďIt was just kind of a lack of respect for the Sabres, in my opinion,Ē Scott said. ďI think he could have obviously missed Ryan. He didnít have to run the goalie that way, and afterward he didnít really feel remorse for the situation or feel worried or scared. It was one of those things where if someone doesnít really feel scared or worried to play your team, guys are going to take liberties.

Had to like him saying this:

ďObviously, everyone knows what Iím going to bring,Ē Scott said. ďIím a big, physical guy whoís out there to take care of teammates. Thatís what I want to do. Iím not going to get huge minutes, but hopefully Iím going to go out and get a shift, play forward or defense, and just hold other teams accountable and donít let our team get bullied and pushed around, be physical and create a lot of problems for other teams.Ē

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Play him on the 4th line, and when we don't want him to play a regular shift double shift someone on the 4th line.

Can't wait for the first Bruins game this year.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:41 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
They've got a ways to go in terms of toughness, I think.
I like his attitude.
Team toughness - certainly. Could use more hardnosed forwards...like Foligno.

But we've gone from not being on the toughness radar screen to a discernable ping.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:29 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I really wish we'd stop talking about Boston at some point.
I agree but its hard to forget, I hate that team with a passion not only because of Lucic just pure hatred for there entire roster.

As for Scott, really hope he can improve his skating and play on the fourth line....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

If he's a player that initiates contact on a regular basis, then I'll consider the offseason a success

Paging Brandon Dubinsky.....

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

How many games do you guys feel Scott will play in? Seems there are many guys ahead of him (McCormick, Tropp).

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
How many games do you guys feel Scott will play in? Seems there are many guys ahead of him (McCormick, Tropp).
6. All against the Bruins.

Seriously though i think around 30 or 35. Depends on who they are playing that day.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Paging Brandon Dubinsky.....
Dubinsky is so awful

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Dubinsky is so awful
If by "awful" you mean "good," then yes, he's awful.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
6. All against the Bruins.

Seriously though i think around 30 or 35. Depends on who they are playing that day.
I can see Scott playing against Boston and most/all Atlantic Division opponents. Does this mean Cody McCormick will see less time, or will Lindy have McCormick centering a line with Scott?

Honest questions. I'm a Wings fan happy to see both my team and you guys beef up a little bit.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
pigpen65

Hopefully Lucic and Chara do ***** out to him. It's been shown that winning and losing fights has no effect on the outcome of games. The intimidation from not having anybody willing to step up does though. When the Sabres play Boston Scott has to be 100% focused on Lucic. Just put him out there on faceoffs opposite him to scare the **** out of him and make him look like a ***** the way Laraque did, then Scott can get off the ice.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Scott is the enforcer, Ott is the instigator, and watching Foligno last year, I don't think he's afraid of anyone, so that's at least two guys in the top-9 who aren't afraid to fight and one who's job is to enforce their instigating/physical ways. I like it, doesn't solve all out problems, but it's a start.
It's critical that our young guys are allowed to play big without fear of cheap shots.

For example.

Foligno destroys a star, veteran defense man with a clean but punishing hit that leaves him stunned. Let's say one of their young middle weight guys goes after Foligno for his trouble. That's fine, Foligno can stick up for himself. But there's going to be hell to pay if an established heavy weight goes after Foligno.

That might sound like side show drama but it's HUGE for a young players confidence to have somebody like Scott on your side, making sure things don't get out of hand. And what we don't hear (tragically) is the crap talk on the ice. Scott may only be out on the ice for 5 minutes a game, but he will be chirping from the bench for 60 minutes a game. And guys like Kaleta, MCCormick, and Ott are going to have A LOT more to say from the benches to.

Scott makes a difference, and I can tell you that the Penguins went through the same exact make over that the Sabres are having. Crosby was the Flyers ***** for a couple years, until the Penguins brought in a heavy weight psycho path defense man who would destroy hatcher and fight anybody on their team. Almost instantly the Penguins become a more confident bunch. Then they started to bring in more hitters, and then Laraque took over the heavy lifting for a couple seasons. It was stunning how the cheap shots went away. The big wind up slashes that Vanek and Pomminville recieve, the late hits, that **** is going to go away. The star players are going to be allowed to do more of what they do best. PLAY.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:23 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Vancouver molded their team to try and beat Boston too. That got them real far.
No they didn't, my team has 0 toughness here. These are good moves by Buffalo.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote