HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allheartsout View Post
Am I the only one that remembers a tweet from someone on Friday saying the DW was making a move/announcement today? Was this the Larry Robinson signing from yesterday, just a day early?
Yes. Pretty usual for the Sharks to announce an announcement for quite a few days in the future only to have that announcement spoiled the day before by the writers...

I don't know why they keep doing that, its just dumb.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:01 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10500

Sounds like Doan wants to stat with the Yotes and the vote passed the city...

Old
07-09-2012, 04:04 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post

Good, we'd have paid too much for him anyway.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I would not have cared how much we paid him if it was only one year.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:

I didn't get that impression. Its obvious he wants to see how things pan out there, but the article ended by suggesting he'd take a serious look at a few other clubs' offers.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I would not have cared how much we paid him if it was only one year.
Doan would be crazy to do a one year deal if he were offered more than a year. At his age, the extra years are a guarantee against a downturn in his own production. His agent doesn't sound stupid either.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Not sure about that, i don't believe Doan as a "give me more money guy", i'd think he'd want to cup oppty, etc.. I'll be interested to see what he signs for.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:13 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Not sure about that, i don't believe Doan as a "give me more money guy", i'd think he'd want to cup oppty, etc.. I'll be interested to see what he signs for.
I like the guy in general, but he's a 50p winger (not a center) who does nothing especially well. Good at a lot of stuff, great at nothing.

$5m would be an overpayment. We whine about paying Clowe $4.5m or more and he's a 60p player most years.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:14 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
I didn't get that impression. Its obvious he wants to see how things pan out there, but the article ended by suggesting he'd take a serious look at a few other clubs' offers.
The last couple of paragraphs, it would break his heart to look at not Yotes offers, that's pretty telling. The part about getting the deal done also.. yes i'm paraphrasing. Their is not much that can happen before the season starts to ensure the yotes stay if i understand the situation well. city council voted in favor, if their is a ballot vote that won't happen any time to soon.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
I like the guy in general, but he's a 50p winger (not a center) who does nothing especially well. Good at a lot of stuff, great at nothing.

$5m would be an overpayment. We whine about paying Clowe $4.5m or more and he's a 60p player most years.
I agree, i was thinking closer to 4M, over 3 years.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Falco5

Quote:
You would be a terrible negotiator.

If Weber agrees to that, first off you don't tell Nashville about it...

Second, even if they do find out, you don't offer them Couture. You offer them Boyle (so they have a D to stopgap the #1 role), Pavelski and/or Clowe, and picks prospects. They will not have the leverage to demand Couture when every other team in the league just found out Weber prefers to play in San Jose (or whichever team).
I wouldn't offer that to them, I am saying that Nashville would demand that and I think Weber is worth it.

Look at it from Nashville's perspective. The only way you deal Weber to the sharks for anything less than Couture is if he comes out publicly and says that no matter what his future is in SJ. He says he would like to start this year in SJ but will sign in SJ the following year no matter what. Even then I don't think they agree to a lesser deal. If he leaves they have to go in to a short term rebuild and could get better young pieces for even a 1 year rental Weber than anything the sharks could offer short of Couture (or maybe Burns). It also sets a terrible precedent for players wanting out of Nashville.

You don't think the Flyers wouldn't send 2 of their amazing young forwards + multiple picks for Weber and then offer him a 120 mil contract? What if they win the cup like that? Does he still agree to sign with SJ if that happens?

Old
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco5 View Post
I wouldn't offer that to them, I am saying that Nashville would demand that and I think Weber is worth it.

Look at it from Nashville's perspective. The only way you deal Weber to the sharks for anything less than Couture is if he comes out publicly and says that no matter what his future is in SJ. He says he would like to start this year in SJ but will sign in SJ the following year no matter what. Even then I don't think they agree to a lesser deal. If he leaves they have to go in to a short term rebuild and could get better young pieces for even a 1 year rental Weber than anything the sharks could offer short of Couture (or maybe Burns). It also sets a terrible precedent for players wanting out of Nashville.

You don't think the Flyers wouldn't send 2 of their amazing young forwards + multiple picks for Weber and then offer him a 120 mil contract? What if they win the cup like that? Does he still agree to sign with SJ if that happens?
Again, I point out, unless they get a new #1 d-man right now, they are in serious trouble. How many teams have #1 d-men to spare of Boyle's caliber? Boyle buys them 2 years+ to either develop or sign a replacement, unless PK Subban or the like is available (AND Weber wants to sign there) that's a pretty good chip in this situation.

I certainly am not trading Boyle + Couture, thats beyond stupid. Would I trade Couture straight up for Weber? Maybe. Is that likely what they will want? I don't think so.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Falco5

Quote:

Clowe has hit 60 once and just came off a bad year. If he can rebound (and stop committing terribly stupid penalties) I would gladly pay him 4.5 mil though.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Falco5

Quote:
Again, I point out, unless they get a new #1 d-man right now, they are in serious trouble. How many teams have #1 d-men to spare of Boyle's caliber? Boyle buys them 2 years+ to either develop or sign a replacement, unless PK Subban or the like is available (AND Weber wants to sign there) that's a pretty good chip in this situation.

I certainly am not trading Boyle + Couture, thats beyond stupid. Would I trade Couture straight up for Weber? Maybe. Is that likely what they will want? I don't think so.
I wouldn't trade Boyle + Couture either. That would be crazy. I think that they would start by asking for Couture or possibly Burns. That is not a win now team if they lose Weber and I don't think positions would matter that much to them. If they did then how about switching my team of choice to the NYR. What if they offer Girardi and MDZ or even Krieder?

Old
07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Iron Chef

David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks
#Sjsharks on list of teams courting Doan. "Yes there is strong mutual interest. Have been in contact with Mr. Wilson" -- agent Terry Bross.

Intriguing...

Old
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Boyle + Couture either. That would be crazy. I think that they would start by asking for Couture or possibly Burns. That is not a win now team if they lose Weber and I don't think positions would matter that much to them. If they did then how about switching my team of choice to the NYR. What if they offer Girardi and MDZ or even Krieder?
I disagree, I think they deffinetly are a win-now team. Unless they change their mind this coming season, and that is basically my point. They can stay win-now if they can bring in a new #1.

Old
07-09-2012, 05:19 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Most UFAs are paid too much money. We need to add top nine wingers. We have cap space. I would much rather see Doan signed than a trade for Nash. If Doan signs here it's because he wants to be here. DW will sign him to a typical DW contract: fair market value with hopefully a slight discount. Just like almost every other contract DW has signed. Many here will say it's a HORRIBLE deal if it isn't a complete steal, but in reality it will be just fine. My guess, $4M X 3.

Old
07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
KirbyDots

Danger Larry Robinson!

Old
07-09-2012, 08:17 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

What's really bugging me lately on these forums is how fast people are willing to trade pavs. You have to be smoking rocks if you want him in anything other than teal, 2-way players of his calibre don't come along very often - especially with his cap hit. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

Old
07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
What's really bugging me lately on these forums is how fast people are willing to trade pavs. You have to be smoking rocks if you want him in anything other than teal, 2-way players of his calibre don't come along very often - especially with his cap hit. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!
Maybe so but if you can trade him for a dynamic player, something that he isn't, then you have to do it. I wouldn't do it for Nash because I don't think he's a dynamic player but there are definitely a few players in this league I would have no problems trading him for.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Naki

Quote:
You would be a terrible negotiator.

If Weber agrees to that, first off you don't tell Nashville about it...

Second, even if they do find out, you don't offer them Couture. You offer them Boyle (so they have a D to stopgap the #1 role), Pavelski and/or Clowe, and picks prospects. They will not have the leverage to demand Couture when every other team in the league just found out Weber prefers to play in San Jose (or whichever team).
I give him a 5 mil 1 yr offer sheet and let Nashville know his plans to bolt to SJ after that year. If they match they get nothing if they don't they get some picks.

I then accept that Nashville will never trade with me again.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post
I give him a 5 mil 1 yr offer sheet and let Nashville know his plans to bolt to SJ after that year. If they match they get nothing if they don't they get some picks.

Weber is not going to sign a one year offer sheet. He's not going to sign any offer sheet. The only thing that's going to happen with Weber is that he is going to talk to the teams he is interested in playing for, figure out the terms, and ask Nashville to trade him to that team. Weber is not going to play around with offer sheets because he wants that long term deal and he wants it somewhere that isn't Nashville. He doesn't accomplish both those things by signing an offer sheet.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:46 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Boyle + Couture either.
Keep in mind that in this hypothetical with Webber and Burns, Boyle becomes obsolete anyway. The Sharks would need to get rid of him. The Preds would need significant salary in return.

If you were to trade Boyle, the Sharks would only lose one top six forward albiet a very valuable one and Webber could just take Boyles minutes. What the Sharks would pay Webber would probably at least equal what they would have paid Couture and Boyle when you include the signing bonus. Probably more.

Couture + Boyle would provide the most roster and profit stability

Old
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naki View Post

Nashville would match the offer. They need to make the cap floor

Old
07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
StalockSuperfan

Sign Doan and Mueller.

Marleau-Thornton-Mueller
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Wingels-Pavelski-Doan
Galiardi-Desjardins-Burish

No crazy trades, just small tweaks. Clowe and/or Murray can be traded midseason if the team needs more speed.

Closed Thread