HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rookie/Young 3rd line center: They wouldn't, would they?

Old
07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Husko

vCash: 500
Rookie/Young 3rd line center: They wouldn't, would they?

Grigorenko, Girgensons, Adam, and Porter...

Now, I think the Sabres very much want to add another center. But say they can't get one at good value. Do you think there's any chance the Sabres would consider allowing Grigs, Girgs, Adam, and Porter battle in camp for the 3rd line center spot, with Ott as a backup plan if none of them work out?

Disclaimer: Yes, it would be extremely reckless to have Hodgson-Ennis-rookie down the middle, but maybe it's the only choice they have? Maybe they're looking to next season as the year.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

I sure hope not. It's possible the team could get by with Hodgson, Ennis, and Grigs up the middle, but what happens when an injury or two strike? We'd be two twisted ankles away from rolling Grigs, Ellis, Porter, McCormick. Either that or the return of Ville "Center Project" Leino.

This team needs a center...any center. A 1/2 guy like Stastny? Great. A vet 3 like Cullen? OK. A grizzled vet like Arnott? Decent. No one? Bad news...

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I don't think they will. I still got a feeling we see another center brought in a winger sent out....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
5 Minute Major

I still believe that Arnott fits what the Sabres need. They have to have some type of veteran leadership at that position that the young guys can go to and learn from.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:20 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I still believe that Arnott fits what the Sabres need. They have to have some type of veteran leadership at that position that the young guys can go to and learn from.
I've been hoping for this.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:20 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

I dont know, this team is built from the goalie out, if the goalie and defense play up to expectations I think it will allow for our young centers to learn on the job.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:36 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I mentioned it once before, and this won't be a popular opinion, but I'd consider signing Hecht as a stop-gap 3C to play at least part of the year. Maybe one of the youngsters can replace him by mid-year. Hecht can still play a strong checking-line role, it's just his health that's a concern. Of course, I don't know if he's even ready to play. I do remember him saying he did not want to retire. I was opposed to bringing him back last year, but with Roy gone, he seems like a decent option. Am I nuts?

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I mentioned it once before, and this won't be a popular opinion, but I'd consider signing Hecht as a stop-gap 3C to play at least part of the year. Maybe one of the youngsters can replace him by mid-year. Hecht can still play a strong checking-line role, it's just his health that's a concern. Of course, I don't know if he's even ready to play. I do remember him saying he did not want to retire. I was opposed to bringing him back last year, but with Roy gone, he seems like a decent option. Am I nuts?
Your nuts because he isnt dependable. If it werent for the head thing I think they would have signed him already.

I also think the only reason Arnott isnt a Sabre is because he doesnt want to be, at least not 1 of his top choices.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:45 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I actually wouldn't hate it at all if they went the route that the OP suggested. It is wreckless, but it would be a lot of fun.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

What's the big deal with having Hodgson and Ennis as our 1/2, it's not like one of them will be depended on to carry the load offensively. Our vets will be on their lines so what's the big deal?

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
What's the big deal with having Hodgson and Ennis as our 1/2, it's not like one of them will be depended on to carry the load offensively. Our vets will be on their lines so what's the big deal?
Plus they're gonna have to step into those roles eventually...

Ideally, we'd have another center to roll three lines and take the burden off of them...but the kids are capable of stepping up. Hodgson wanted big minutes, couldn't get it in Vancouver...well now here you go. Prove yourself.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Your nuts because he isnt dependable. If it werent for the head thing I think they would have signed him already.

I also think the only reason Arnott isnt a Sabre is because he doesnt want to be, at least not 1 of his top choices.
I'd be fine with Arnott, but if they can't get him, why not take a chance on Jochen? If he can't play, then go to the young guns.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
I've loved Arnott since his Devils days centering Sykora and Elias.

Even at his older age, on a one year deal, he'd be a perfect fit for us.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I too agree that Arnott is our best option to go for left in terms of UFAs. Get him for a year at ~$2M and I'd love that.

Halpern would also be feasible but he's not as big as we supposedly want.

I'm sure Arnott knows he doesn't have very many options at this point of his career and maybe in a month or less, he'll be signed somewhere. He has to know he's going to have to take what he can get money-wise and role-wise at this point.

I also threw around Belanger and Reasoner on the trades board and it received very warm thoughts for the most part. Cullen would also be a guy I'd want but he has a NTC and I doubt he'd waive since he is playing close to home now. Moore is also still out there, but I don't think there's a chance he comes back.

When it comes down to it, I'll be disappointed if we don't add a veteran bottom 6 center in free agency or trades. We don't have a 3rd or 4th line center right now (barring if Grigorenko makes it, still no 4th line center though; let's face it, Ellis and McCormick won't cut it and Porter is AHL material). We can't be done yet. Let's hope for Arnott.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:40 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Disaster waiting to happen.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Disaster waiting to happen.
Please elaborate.

Do people really believe we're going to win a cup within the next year or so? When the new core is in their prime is IMO the best chance we're going to have to win a cup. We're not some 3rd line center away from being a true contender that's for sure. If we can pick up a guy like Arnott that's great and all, but he's not going to alleviate the scoring role, we will still depend on Cody and Ennis to be our top centers.

I've tempered my expectations for this year, I expect it to be a growth year for the young kids, while being fairly competitive with Vanek, Pommer and Miller, plus our defense. If we make the playoffs, that's fine and dandy, I doubt we'll go anywhere but it will be nice to get the young kids feet wet.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Yes, it would be extremely reckless to have Hodgson-Ennis-rookie down the middle, but maybe it's the only choice they have? Maybe they're looking to next season as the year.
Definitely - and it doesn't seem to be a path either Regier or Ruff have ever been comfortable with by relying so heavily on youth in a key position.

And even if they are looking at 2013-14 as "the year", that doesn't mean their decisions in nurturing and developing Hodgson and Ennis in the right way, with some support, don't have to be responsible. Every season is a building block for the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
This team needs a center...any center. A 1/2 guy like Stastny? Great. A vet 3 like Cullen? OK. A grizzled vet like Arnott? Decent. No one? Bad news...
Quote:
I totally agree - I've been mulling over the prospect of Arnott being one of the free agents Regier hinted at having an offer out to because of his size and center experience. Even if he'll be 38 this year and not a likely contributor on offense, he was credited with being an influential leader and voice in the Blues' locker room this season - and he has ample playoff experience and Cup ring, two aspects that the young Sabre group could learn from.

Arnott was able to help out on face-offs and the PP in St. Louis last year - that won't go unnoticed by Regier IMO, considering the Sabres' issues with both areas.

Slotting Arnott between Pominville and Leino would be a decent fit for THIS coming season....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Maybe - but at his age, he won't have a lot of choices to pick from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Even at his older age, on a one year deal, he'd be a perfect fit for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I too agree that Arnott is our best option to go for left in terms of UFAs. Get him for a year at ~$2M and I'd love that.
It would have to be a 1-year deal if Arnott wants to get $2M - 2.5M like last year; if he wants longer term, I'd expect Regier to lower the salary to the $1.5M range.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
VegasSabreFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind bringing Hecht back at something like one year $1.5 mil. My biggest problems with him on his last contract was that he was overpaid and Lindy would keep him in the top 6 no matter how bad he played offensively. $3.5 mil was a waste a cap space, especially to the pre-Pegula Sabres.

I'd compare it in a similar manner to Olli Jokinen over the past few years. Calgary fans hated him when he was a $5.25 mil cap hit and after playing on a one year deal at half the price he lost most of the bad press. Now its Jets' fans turn to hate on him.

but still if we go the UFA route I'd prefer Arnott.

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:25 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I think a great deal of Sabres fans posting here fail to see the reality of the situation.
Hodgson and Ennis are our 1/2 centers. You can take that to the bank, it's common sense.
Ennis isn't going to the #3 center spot, neither is Hodgson.
Grigorenko is most likely the 3rd line center, they aren't sending the kid back to juniors, he would gain nothing from it.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:40 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I think a great deal of Sabres fans posting here fail to see the reality of the situation.
Hodgson and Ennis are our 1/2 centers. You can take that to the bank, it's common sense.
Ennis isn't going to the #3 center spot, neither is Hodgson.
Grigorenko is most likely the 3rd line center, they aren't sending the kid back to juniors, he would gain nothing from it.
they'd probably wanna break grigs in at wing. And if he goes back to juniors, he can still work on his game-roy mentioned he was probably ready talent wise, but could improve his conditioning and strength. If we had a stronger top 6, i'd be more ok with putting grigs in rather quickly, like boston did with seguin. Given our situation though (2 unproven centers, questions of how leino will produce in the top 6) i'd prefer give him a bit more time than rush him and harm his development a la tim connolly. I do think he'll get a 9 game tryout though, and if he pulls a myers and sticks, that's awesome too.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
I'm wondering what is going to happen to luke adam. I think he can be an effective NHL hockey player on the wing. This should be his year to make an impression.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSabreFan View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind bringing Hecht back at something like one year $1.5 mil. My biggest problems with him on his last contract was that he was overpaid and Lindy would keep him in the top 6 no matter how bad he played offensively. $3.5 mil was a waste a cap space, especially to the pre-Pegula Sabres.

I'd compare it in a similar manner to Olli Jokinen over the past few years. Calgary fans hated him when he was a $5.25 mil cap hit and after playing on a one year deal at half the price he lost most of the bad press. Now its Jets' fans turn to hate on him.

but still if we go the UFA route I'd prefer Arnott.
Not true. He was put into the top-6 out of necessity, and never played bad. In fact, I distinctly remember him playing the greater portion of one year on a 3rd line with Kennedy and Grier, before having to be moved up to our top-6 because our scoring was anemic.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:54 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Six to nine months ago, it wouldn't have been crazy to suggest that Grigorenko would be ready for the NHL in 2012-13.

Heck, Patrice Bergeron fell to the 2nd round in his draft year and was able to make the jump.

If Grigorenko shows that he's ready, I have no issue with him making the jump. I also hope that doesn't affect their plans to add another center.

I wouldn't mind Ennis & Adam moving to the wing knowing that they can play in the middle in the event that injuries hit and they need help up the middle.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Elaborate? Ok.

I've seen too many high end picks get rushed to the NHL and have a middling career. I'd rather make sure that a kid is ready and ween him in. No, I'm not going to give you names, you can do the research yourself.

Sabres aren't a Cup team so why bother getting him in the NHL? And if you really think he'll gain nothing from playing in juniors and building his physique/endurance/etc, then I can't help that. You're just blinded.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I don't think it's too farfetched. If the roster is what it looks like now at the start of the year, what are the options? Force Ott to take the draws and hope Leino can play defensively elsewhere in our zone? I don't know.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote