HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So if Esche starts Tomorrow, is he our playoff Goalie?

Old
04-18-2006, 08:58 AM
sansan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Nitty hasn't been that great since the Olympic break.
Lol. Is this the thread where we disclose allegiances?

I thought he had his moments. Definitely not as dominant as he was in Nov-Dec, but we got a glimpse of him at his very best then.

Since we probably won't see him again this season, I would just like to say that overall I think this has been a great season for him. I don't know how many of you have followed Niitty since he started with the Phantoms, but he's come a long way in a relatively short time. He's only going to get better and I think that's very exciting.

Is it ok to say that? Or will I be labeled a bandwaggoner now?

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
Lol. Is this the thread where we disclose allegiances?
I have no allegiances to either goalie. Personally, i think Nitty is the more likely of the two to be a top tier goalie going forward, but don't think that's necessarily locked in stone. I was just pointing out that it isn't as if Nitty has set the barn on fire since the Olympic break and Esche has, arguably, been the better goalie of late.

I still don't think our goalies have been the problem this year... to many mental breakdowns (from all positions) have led high quality scoring chances which affect the svpct of the goalie... Simply put, we, as a team, allow far too many shots from high quality scoring locations on a regular basis... and we have way too many fails getting the puck out of the zone which creates chaotic situations... which leads to goals against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
This is just a bad team right now. It would be different if we were only playing mediocre for the final two weeks. The fact that it has been the final two, hell, you could say final three months of the season should be enough to set off alarms that there is something seriously wrong. Injuries or what not, there is a real chemistry problem and there is also a lack of effort. It's very painful to watch sometimes.
It's not a bad team, it's an inconsistent team... and we're middle of the pack since January started... which is EXACTLY where we were prior to the last playoffs, in fact. If we could maintain our good games from game to game we'd be in great shape going into the playoffs with a 6-10 point lead on the Rags and Devs. obviously not the case, but our good play is pretty strong, while our poor play is amazingly bad.

that doesn't make us a "bad" team... the Pens are a "bad" team. it makes us an inconsistent team, and there are a lot of different reasons for that.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 10:26 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I have no allegiances to either goalie. Personally, i think Nitty is the more likely of the two to be a top tier goalie going forward, but don't think that's necessarily locked in stone. I was just pointing out that it isn't as if Nitty has set the barn on fire since the Olympic break and Esche has, arguably, been the better goalie of late.

I still don't think our goalies have been the problem this year... to many mental breakdowns (from all positions) have led high quality scoring chances which affect the svpct of the goalie... Simply put, we, as a team, allow far too many shots from high quality scoring locations on a regular basis... and we have way too many fails getting the puck out of the zone which creates chaotic situations... which leads to goals against.

It's not a bad team, it's an inconsistent team... and we're middle of the pack since January started... which is EXACTLY where we were prior to the last playoffs, in fact. If we could maintain our good games from game to game we'd be in great shape going into the playoffs with a 6-10 point lead on the Rags and Devs. obviously not the case, but our good play is pretty strong, while our poor play is amazingly bad.

that doesn't make us a "bad" team... the Pens are a "bad" team. it makes us an inconsistent team, and there are a lot of different reasons for that.
The team's record since January 1, 2006 has been 20 wins, 23 losses (as per espn.com). Three games under .500. In the first half of the season, we had 24 wins, 14 losses. Ten games over .500. Out of those 37 total losses, 11 have come by way of shoot out or OT. The fact that 23 of the losses have come in the 2nd half should be concerning to anyone.

We were good in the first half of the season. A .500 or better record indicates that the team is doing pretty well. The second half of the season, we are below .500. Inconsistent or not, that's a poor record. For the quality of players this team has, we should have at least finished the second half with at least 9, maybe 10 more wins than what we're going to finish with. I'm sorry, but I expect a lot from this team. This is one of the better teams that has been assembled, but yet there is always an excuse for this Flyers team faltering in the 2nd half. And that always costs us come playoff time.

That's the thing that bothers me the most. If this team would ever suck it up, put together a consistent string of wins, we might finish better than what we finish at and maybe, just maybe, we end up getting a bit of an easier match up come playoff time. Then this team isn't so beat up when it comes time for the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That's what I honestly don't understand. It's like the team is content on being mediocre. And that bugs me. Maybe it is time that this team get the dressing down it deserves from Clarkie. Maybe it's time he goes to the media and he starts dressing down everyone. Maybe, just maybe, it lights a fire under every player's backsides and they begin to perform with some level of urgency in their games. That's what I don't see from this team. I just see a bunch of lazy players who are following the lead of the current captain.

I'm frustrated because as a fan of this team, I want to see them win, yet when you see how lazy and how disinterested this team looks, it infuriates me. I can now honestly understand why the late FlyersFan10 used to have such a love/hate relationship with this team. He loved the team because he was a passionate fan, but hated how inconsistent and how lazy and inconsistent they are. And it always happens at the same time, every year. And every year, they always get themselves into a dog fight once they get into the playoffs and every year, they always fall short because either the players have been pounded from the playoff grind or they just stop scoring.

You can call them inconsistent, I just call them bad because every year, it's always the same thing with this team. For once, just for once, I would actually like to see them play consistent hockey from start to finish. I could live with that. But, this is a team that tears it up the first half of the season and then falls apart the second half. They have no mental toughness what so ever when the 2nd half rolls around. And it's the fact that the players willing accept the mediocrity that annoys me. And it's always the same thing you hear from everyone "oh, we just keep making the same mistakes over and over" or "we just didn't play our A game tonight".

Like I've stated previously, if this team goes one and done in the playoffs, then it's time to clean house. Everyone from management, to coaching staff, to players all have to be held accountable.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Jester

if you break it down using the actual record, 20-18-5, we're 2 games over .500. we are also a strong 5 on 5 team which bodes well for playoff OT.

we've also been 9-6-1 since the middle of March... however, those losses represent some pretty low spots and the wins some pretty high spots.

this team is WAY too young to justify a house-cleaning if we go one and done. you may have high expectations, but that is too tough a judgment scale given the makeup of this team. Gagne is being asked to be the no. 1 wing on a team for the first time in his career... and all he's done is lead the league in even strength goals. Richards, Carter, Umberger, and Meyer are rookies who are playing important minutes in the playoffs for the first time in their life.

Pitkanen is being asked to be a no. 1 dman in the NHL for the first time in his career...

this is a young team, and a team that will be better next year than it is this year...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote