HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breaking news: insurance companies will no longer cover the Blue Jays...

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 500
If they do acquire Upton I can see Bautista being the DH or 1b.

Especially if the Jays lose EE in the off season, the DH and 1b look very weak.

Last edited by canucksfan: 07-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Can we move someone who can pitch without breaking down?
so you want to trade away a reliable arm?

Old
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

What about someone like Brad Lincoln? Former 1st round talent with good stuff whos a spot starter/reliever and is a bit down on the Pirates depth chart?

Old
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
If they do acquire Upton I can see Bautista being the DH or 1b.

Especially if the Jays lose EE in the off season, the DH and 1b look very weak.
I'll be pretty upset if EE just walks and all we get is a few picks.
He either needs to be resigned or traded for a damn good ML or close to ML prospect.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
weems

"They know what they have to address, it’s just a matter of getting it done and I know they’re actively out there trying to make our club better continuously," Bautista said Monday during a frenzied media day session ahead of the home run derby. "Hopefully they come through and are able to make a good move... In the past there was a different view on what the rest of the season was going to be like, being so close to the second wild card has changed his mentality a little bit," said Bautista. "He knows we’re within striking distance and our offence is clicking so well, and we’re playing such good defence that if we get stronger on the pitching side that’s probably going to make our club come together and win even more games, because we’ve managed to play .500 ball with the problems we’ve had to deal with. ... Hopefully we get some help on the pitching side, I don’t think it’s a secret and I’m not saying it to put any pressure on the organization, or on Alex, or on the ownership, they’ll be the first ones to tell you that’s what we need to do," said Bautista. "I know Alex is doing his due diligence, trying to improve our ball club any way he can, but knowing we lost three starting pitchers in (four) starts, that’s a pretty big hit to take."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...rade_deadline/

Old
07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

What is Bautista talking about? Doesn't he know Rogers is cheap and AA is a sham GM surviving on smoke and mirrors promises about future prospects that will never arrive?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 35 GP, 13-17-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
07-09-2012, 06:26 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
What is Bautista talking about? Doesn't he know Rogers is cheap and AA is a sham GM surviving on smoke and mirrors promises about future prospects that will never arrive?
Clearly Bautista is one of the many suckers that just believes whatever they tell him. lol

Old
07-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista-35 HR

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Luis Perez has torn UCL and will miss remainder of the season

The injuries strike again

Old
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Luis Perez has torn UCL, will require Tommy John surgery

I don't even know what to say anymore.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Clearly Bautista is one of the many suckers that just believes whatever they tell him. lol
What are you guys talking about? Bautista is (what sounds like to me) frustrated with the lack of moves AA is making. He is now putting pressure on AA to make a move stating that he feels that this team can compete now, while other (experts ) here feel our calling is in a few years. The star of our team is now forcing AA's hand. Basically his call for help because he wants to help this team win a championship while he's still in his prime.

Old
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

We need to seriously look at what we are doing mechanically with our pitchers, this is getting beyond coincidence.

Old
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

well that's just ****ing spectacular...

Old
07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista-35 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
I already beat you to it

Old
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonMushroom View Post
Luis Perez has torn UCL, will require Tommy John surgery

I don't even know what to say anymore.
2, possibly 3 (Hutchison) of our pitches need Tommy John surgery. Definitely more than a coincidence now. Didn't McGowan also have TJ a couple years ago?

Old
07-09-2012, 06:57 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
I already beat you to it
Congratulations, your prize is a free Tommy John surgery!

Seriously though, something needs to be done about looking at the mechanics of these pitchers. I'm starting to wonder about the validity of the inverted-W theorists.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista-35 HR

I don't even know what to say anymore to be honest

Old
07-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

This year has been plagued so much with injuries that even our rubber arm gets struck. Thank you baseball Gods.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
What are you guys talking about? Bautista is (what sounds like to me) frustrated with the lack of moves AA is making. He is now putting pressure on AA to make a move stating that he feels that this team can compete now, while other (experts ) here feel our calling is in a few years. The star of our team is now forcing AA's hand. Basically his call for help because he wants to help this team win a championship while he's still in his prime.
if he were calling AA's hand, he wouldn't include phrases like "I know they’re actively out there trying to make our club better continuously" or "I know Alex is doing his due diligence". If he didn't believe those things and was frustrated, he could just as easily say "I think we can go for it and hopefully we make some moves to get it done."

This sounds to me like he trusts Anthopoulos to make moves if they're there for the making.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
2, possibly 3 (Hutchison) of our pitches need Tommy John surgery. Definitely more than a coincidence now. Didn't McGowan also have TJ a couple years ago?
Hutch WILL need TJ surgery at some point. A ligament doesn't heal itself, so it's just a matter if he can strengthen the other muscles in his arm and shoulder enough to pitch through the discomfort, without injuring his UCL further.

I think McGowan had it earlier in his career, but Janssen, Litsch and Marcum come to mind as Jays pitchers who have had it in recent years.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
McGowan's issues were in his shoulder I think, not his elbow. IIRC they were problems that were deemed worse/more detrimental than the elbow injuries that require TJ.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean by the inverted-W, Death To The Inverted W is interesting reading, although no official studies have been done on the subject as far as I'm aware. But I don't see why it wouldn't be, especially with so many pitchers (not just Blue Jays) who have been put under the knife with TJ surgery this year alone.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:07 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
McGowan's issues were in his shoulder I think, not his elbow. IIRC they were problems that were deemed worse/more detrimental than the elbow injuries that require TJ.
Dustin did have Tommy John surgery in 2004.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonMushroom View Post
For anyone who doesn't know what I mean by the inverted-W, Death To The Inverted W is interesting reading, although no official studies have been done on the subject as far as I'm aware. But I don't see why it wouldn't be, especially with so many pitchers (not just Blue Jays) who have been put under the knife with TJ surgery this year alone.
I've read that, and it is a fascinating read, but it's somewhat undermined by the fact that Chris O'Leary doesn't have all the training necessary to be authoritative like he is on the subject. He doesn't have any medical training or education IIRC, striking considering how much he talks about the medical aspects of the issues.

I think there's merit to what he suggests, and it's at least a case of if there's smoke, there's fire. But I'd like to see some medical professionals evaluate what he's talking about to either confirm or refute his assorted hypotheses.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
if he were calling AA's hand, he wouldn't include phrases like "I know they’re actively out there trying to make our club better continuously" or "I know Alex is doing his due diligence". If he didn't believe those things and was frustrated, he could just as easily say "I think we can go for it and hopefully we make some moves to get it done."

This sounds to me like he trusts Anthopoulos to make moves if they're there for the making.
Jose seems like a nice guy. By that I mean I don't think he'd want to cause a problem, or give the media anything to play with by flat out saying he wants a move done. Those quotes just seem like a PR throw-in to not cause controversy but he also did not need to mention anything if he believed Alex is doing his due dilligence. I mean if you know he's doing his job why bring it up? I think Jose wants to go for it and is letting everyone know it, including AA. When your star player (in his prime) wants to go for it, I mean what are you going to say? No?

Old
07-09-2012, 07:23 PM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
I've read that, and it is a fascinating read, but it's somewhat undermined by the fact that Chris O'Leary doesn't have all the training necessary to be authoritative like he is on the subject. He doesn't have any medical training or education IIRC, striking considering how much he talks about the medical aspects of the issues.

I think there's merit to what he suggests, and it's at least a case of if there's smoke, there's fire. But I'd like to see some medical professionals evaluate what he's talking about to either confirm or refute his assorted hypotheses.
You'd think with the amount of money teams pay their players, having a medical study evaluate pitching mechanics would be a no-brainer.

Closed Thread