HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread 6.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
DrunkenHabz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
there's obviously a thread for this.

Thing is, not everybody looks at that thread 24/7. when its somewhat bigger news than the usual blah, i appreciate a fresh, bolded headline.
I'm with you on that too. I like it when it's on top, bold and new. So what if there's two threads anyway? Never understood why it's so important, guess it has to do with organization and stuff. Never were much of a geek so that might be me being ignorant here.

As for Doan, I would sign him in a heartbeat, like someone else said, he reminds me of Cole. Sure he is slightly older but a 2 year deal wouldn't hurt. I'm pretty sure Gionta and Plekanec would be delighted to hear they will play on a line with a proven hardworking leader instead of Bourque.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenHabz View Post
I'm with you on that too. I like it when it's on top, bold and new. So what if there's two threads anyway? Never understood why it's so important, guess it has to do with organization and stuff. Never were much of a geek so that might be me being ignorant here.

As for Doan, I would sign him in a heartbeat, like someone else said, he reminds me of Cole. Sure he is slightly older but a 2 year deal wouldn't hurt. I'm pretty sure Gionta and Plekanec would be delighted to hear they will play on a line with a proven hardworking leader instead of Bourque.
I agree too! And since the board has the same headlines since 5 days (with this very slow news summer), I think everything is threadworthy. I never understood why people give so much importance to what's threadworthy or not. Moderators exist for that.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I'd be very disappointed if PK is traded...unless it's for a top line centerman/winger.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Cousin Carey helping here?... Or is he just driving up the price...using the Habs as others have...
Ding ding ding

Old
07-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Miller Time

might be the type of player that would be a great fit, but I'm sure the only reason we'd land him is by outbidding every other team in the race...

with the cap space/intent teams like Detroit/Pittsburgh had lined up for Parise, I don't want in that race.

Doan at 4.5-5.5M$ for 2-3 years is palatable, but if some team is going to go 4 years or 5.5M$+, no thanks.

he's 36, and while he's been remarkably durable (habs have a funny way of ending those types of streaks) he's been a 20 goal <60pt player the past 3 years... don't see that going up much even if he plays in a slightly more open system.

6M$ for a 20goal/60pt, at best, 36 year old player is not a wise long-term signing.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:18 PM
KFlint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I agree too! And since the board has the same headlines since 5 days (with this very slow news summer), I think everything is threadworthy. I never understood why people give so much importance to what's threadworthy or not. Moderators exist for that.

Never understood the (very) strict moderation of new threads here tbh...

Old
07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDoNot View Post
I'd give him 4 years at 6 million. He's exactly what Montreal needs, deal with the cap later just like many of the competitive teams have been doing for years. I always hear about team X or Y signing a player that they'll regret later but it never happens.
I wouldn't. we are talking about 24m for 4 years . I don't think having a guy locked on the cap until he's 40 at 6m is the right way to move forward. Overated player anyways.

I think in that case you hope he comes back down on earth, and is willing to accept much less ... but my guess is... money is all that matters for this guy and he's going around trying to create a flow of demand to drive the price up to get those 6m per. he has no intentions to re-sign with the coyotes... honestly its laughable to hear him pretend that's his priority.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:30 PM
TomPlex

Jesus, with Doan we'd have SEVEN 6'2" players in our top 9. SEVEN.

We'd be the new Bruins!

Old
07-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
Hence why I created a new thread...I feel the same way...but I guess some people just need to nit pick about everything But if the mods feel that it should be moved...then its all good!
My feeling is that there is too much merging going on. Doan to the Habs is threadworthy.

And I'd be WAY happier with a term of three years rather than four.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
ti-vite

I'd think he has 2 good years left. He can drop off like lemings into the ocean at that age (lol I am older that makes me what?)

If he wants 4 years, he should acknowledge that the last 2 are 'iffy'. IMO

Edit; damn he would look good in a red Mtl jersey

Old
07-09-2012, 06:38 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
The key is to convince his wife, not him.

I'd offer 5 years/$25 million. Under his market value, obviously, but the term might entice him. He's been good for around 60-70 points playing with nobodies.

It's a risk, but you need to do something drastic to convince him.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The key is to convince his wife, not him.

I'd offer 5 years/$25 million. Under his market value, obviously, but the term might entice him. He's been good for around 60-70 points playing with nobodies.

It's a risk, but you need to do something drastic to convince him.
Wife = higgs boson = unpredictable

Old
07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Roke

I loathe multi-year contracts for 35+ players. Not only do you have to worry about the potential drop-off that comes with a player that deep into the decline stage of their career but you have the player counting against the cap unless no matter what (unless they pick up an injury and you can stash them on LTIR).

I'd consider Doan at 2 years for less than $5 million/year or a bigger one-year deal - he's a pretty good 2nd-liner at this point in his career. Any longer than that and you're better off going with a less risky (though possibly more expensive) signing like giving Semin a comparable-length contract.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
As mentioned many, many times in the past, those Twitter handles that are now picked up by the profanity filter are not allowed on these boards. You've all been fairly warned now. Expect infractions and threadbans should they show up again.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Captain Saku

I dont want to have 3 oldies as our top 4 wingers. Cole, Doan and Gionta, man, that's very old.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont want to have 3 oldies as our top 4 wingers. Cole, Doan and Gionta, man, that's very old.
Dallas has Whitney and Jagr...

Old
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Those three oldies have more heart than any of our young players. Character and passion that's what we want.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Bullsmith

Pay him whatever he wants, but two years is about it. If this teams competitive in two years, we can't have 6 mil a year in cap hit going to a guy who's retired. 35 plus means it HAS to be a short term deal. I love Doan but he's a short term addition as an impact player, and we are not in a win now situation.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Jesus, with Doan we'd have SEVEN 6'2" players in our top 9. SEVEN.

We'd be the new Bruins!
Which one of Desharnais, Plekanec or Gionta do you see playing on the 4th line????

Old
07-09-2012, 07:02 PM
rickthegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I would gladly trade Gionta back to New Jersey if it ment having Shane Doan on the 2nd line.
Agree totally, would be a huge improvement

Old
07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I'd be very disappointed if PK is traded...unless it's for a top line centerman/winger.
And Kane isn't ?

Old
07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Which one of Desharnais, Plekanec or Gionta do you see playing on the 4th line????
Gionta will sit on Desharnais' shoulders making it EIGHT 6'2'' players in our top 9

Old
07-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Zeroknowledge*

I truly believe that acquiring Doan would instantly make us a Playoff team, he's a warrior, plays a physical game and will be an amazing fit with Gionta and Plekanec which the organization should be desperate for. He's good for 45-50 points, He has the physique to have 2 to 3 very solid years.

I would also not be against offering him a front loaded 4 year deal

something like

1-8m
2-8m
3-7m
4-1m

With such a contract chances are he retires after 3 years which would be ideal. Yes, 8M sounds like a lot but it is free agency, and trust me he will probably get similar offers which are front loaded. It's a risk I think Bergie should take here unless he's totally committed to a full rebuild which means if we aren't a playoff team to trade Plekanec, Gionta, Markov etc for picks or prospects when the time comes.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
roy munson
Bon voyage capitaine

Everytime I wish for a UFA, any of the 29 other teams gets him. I'm not very optimistic right now. And I doubt MB trades PK anytime soon. At the presser the day he was confirmed as the new GM, he made it clear that signing Price and PK was a priority. To me, that means he sees them as very important for the team.

Last edited by roy munson: 07-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't expect Doan to choose Montreal when he (reportedly) is on the radar of teams like the Canucks, Kings, Penguins, Red Wings etc.

Also, some in the media would have a field day with him. Bring up old "wounds" (we all know what I'm talking about, and I'm on Doan's side on that story), would only lead to a deterioration of his already strained relationship with our Province (unjust IMO). I hope it wouldn't come back and irritate Price by extension (his cousin).

Closed Thread