HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Better 2012-2013 - Couturier vs. B. Schenn

View Poll Results: Who do you believe will have a better season?
B. Schenn 51 59.30%
Couturier 35 40.70%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Better 2012-2013 - Couturier vs. B. Schenn

Long term, it's definitely harder to project, so let's speculate on who has the better season for 2012-2013.

Case for B. Schenn:
Older, more seasoned player having gone through a more natural progression to the NHL. Has a more physically appropriate build for the NHL right now. Solid 2-way game. Will likely get more offensive opportunities playing on the second line than Couturier in 2012-2013. Looked like one of the best players on the ice in the playoffs.

Case for Couturier:
All-world defensive talent. Developing offensive game. No matter whether he struggles offensively or not, he will continue to log critical minutes due to being the best defensive forward on the team. Played more in 2011-2012.

My thoughts:
For 2012-2013, I predict a huge B. Schenn breakout (20+ goals, 55+ points). I see a more steady improvement from the younger Couturier (perhaps 15-18 goals, 35 points) while continuing to be a defensive presence. I suspect that while he'll be good defensively, the league will have enough tape on Couturier to force him to up his game a bit defensively.

I would not be surprised to see Schenn on the top line by season's end playing beside Giroux and Hartnell.

Long term, I love what Couturier represents for this franchise and it will be a close call between the 2, but for 2012-2013... I expect great improvement for B. Schenn.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I added a poll, seems like that could be useful in this thread.

07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Couturier

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
tuckrr

I like this thread! I'm actually gonna say schenn, but that's just because I feel his breakout happening before cooter. Cooter in the long term though FOR SURE.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Haute Couturier

Schenn because Laviolette gives him more offensive opportunities than Couturier.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:08 PM
FlyersFan61290

I went with Schenn for many of the reason already posted.
1. Experience
2. Size (more filled out)
3. Offensive opportunity

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Next year : Schenn
Long term : Couturier

I see both of them hitting 50 pts, though. Couturier had close to 30 while playing on the 4th line, if he becomes a top 9 player, it will increase considerably + he'll be one year older, so should be stronger.

Schenn had only 18 pts in 54 games, while playing on the top 9, but seeing how he played in the playoffs, I think he'll breakout soon.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
turkinaa

I agree with Schenn this year (due to getting the opportunity to play in a more offensive role) and Couturier in the long run.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
mirimon

As long as we don't run the "loser" out of town. I'm gonna say Couturier, but I think they'll be pretty equal. Around 30 pts each perhaps. I don't expect either of them to have a breakout season offensively next year.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Schenn next year in my opinion.

I feel that he's going to put up 50+ pts next year.

Couturier will progress more slowly offensively IMO, but will still be a stand out on the defensive side.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:44 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
if he stays healthy, Schenn

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:57 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Schenn but if Couturier gets more ice time this year we could see more offence i know its there team need to harness it..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:04 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Why does ppl think Couturier isn't good offensively? He played on the 4th line, so we saw mostly his defensive upside, but as a top 9 player, he could very well be an offensive force imo. He has a heck of a shot and has shown that he can deke, he has good vision, etc.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:18 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Why does ppl think Couturier isn't good offensively? He played on the 4th line, so we saw mostly his defensive upside, but as a top 9 player, he could very well be an offensive force imo. He has a heck of a shot and has shown that he can deke, he has good vision, etc.
Yea he put up big numbers in juniors pre mOno.

That said got to go schenner. Looked great last year the best prospect in the world playing with his bro and spots opened up with jvr and Jagr gone

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
I think everyone agrees, but most would suggest that his tools are still raw. I think he's a potential 70+ point player in the long run, but it may take him 3 or so years to get close to that potential.

There's no question that he has as much offensive ability as Schenn, but needs time to develop the physical strength to exert himself equally on both ends for 18 minutes a game.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Does it matter?

We have both and should keep both.

Coots is a solid two way player who will be putting up big numbers.
Schenn is a giant troll of a future power forward who will be putting up solid numbers.

Between Jake, Coots and Schenn, if one needs to go it should be Jake sorry to say cause I love the kid but Schenn and Coots seem more complete.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Think Couturier takes a step back or remains about the same, and I think Schenn steps up and becomes a big contributor. I'd kind of like to see Schenn get an opportunity to get 1st line minutes with G.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think Schenn. Not that Couturier is gonna have a bad season, I just think Schenn is going to be better.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Think Couturier takes a step back or remains about the same, and I think Schenn steps up and becomes a big contributor. I'd kind of like to see Schenn get an opportunity to get 1st line minutes with G.
Agree with the first part on Couturier. Disagree with Schenn though. I see more of a stable season from Schenn (like 40-45 points).

Honestly, not to be a downer, but I got a feeling we will have a few rookie down years. Couturier will hit around 27 ish again (not really a down year, but doesnt explode offensively). Read will hit about the same points he had, maybe around 45 points. Wellwood will most likely have a full time job, and have around 25 points. Voracek, if he stays, though I feel will have a 70 point year.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Voracek, if he stays, though I feel will have a 70 point year.
This would be the most shocking thing that you posted for me. Perhaps with a full season on the top line, but I just can't see him potting more than 20-22 goals. His shot is brutal right now.

I would be extremely pleased to see him hit 60 points.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
I have a feeling this is going to be Schenn's breakout year if he stays healthy. He should have much more offensive opportunities this year as well as another offseason of training with Gary Roberts. Plus, I have a feeling that playing with his brother will further motivate him.

I can see 25+ goals and 30+ assists this season from Schenn

Couturier, I feel like he is going to improve on his totals from last season. I remember there were games where he would create multiple good scoring opportunities for himself but just wouldn't capitalize (which is fine, he's only 19), but I imagine as he matures he'll only create more of those chances and also start cashing in on them.

I can see around 20 goals and 20+ assists from Couts playing third line minutes

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I think it'll be Schenn. I can see him putting up 50+ points. Couturier will probably also have a good season with elite defense and 30-40pts.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Damaged Goods

Schenn has a fantastic shot release that he can start putting to use in a scoring role, he is older and has more room to make immediate improvements on his totals from last year.

Surprised to see I'm in such a strong majority!

Here are a few of my favorite Brayden Schenn moments from last year:

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Flyerfan4life

i think Cooter..

Schenn seems likely to be reinjured alot again. he just strikes me as one of those guys whos made of glass..

hope he proves me wrong thou.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I think this year, Schenn breaks out and surpasses Cooter on the depth charts. I think long term, they'll both have substantial value although a player of Schenn's caliber is typically more appreciated than Cooter's (like M. Richards v. J. Staal, even though they both have tremendous value). I just think Cooter hit his stride faster, but will progress more slowly and never really "breakout" aside from what he did last year, thus peaking later. With Schenn, I expect a bang and a plateau.

I do think they'll both be great players.

Now the real question is, can either play wing? I'd hate to see one of them have to go.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote