HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE OT THREAD - Lockout edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Steve Nash to the Lakers

Great, my favorite player on my least favorite team. I won't know what to do.
Well you can tell he badly wants a championship due to his comments. That's some kind of consolation.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Philly85
Moody'

That angers me, greatly.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Well you can tell he badly wants a championship due to his comments. That's some kind of consolation.
Yeah for sure. And I'm fine with him going to a team to try and get a championship. If he just went to the Raptors for the most dollars he would have just coasted into retirement. They probably wouldnt have even been a playoff team.

Always loved Nash though and will cheer for him.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

I'm a big Nash fan, and I'm happy for him.

This will be his best chance to win the elusive ring, and he still gets to be a big contributor to it.

Him and Kobe in the back court

I'm really glad he didn't go to the Raptors. For both parties.

07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Muad'Dib

Neighbors want to stop Pisani from building a backyard hockey rink

http://www.stalbertgazette.com/artic...-backyard-rink

Old
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Guess they won't be invited over to play a quick pick-up game. Also I thought Pis lived in Castledowns, or is that just where he grew up?

Old
07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
tips

Question for car people

Hopefully a few people here can lend their opinion.

I'm getting close to ending a 2-year search for my next car. Yes, its taken me a while to do research, save up the funds, and work out what will fit me best for something that will most likely need to last me another 8-10 years like my current car has. I basically want a larger version of my current vehicle, which is a small hatchback. It has to be fun to drive, good in the city, good on gas, but can still pack it full of stuff and take it on long road/camping/ski trips. It has to be practical.

In a perfect world, I would prefer an AWD wagon, but since we North Americans won't buy them, auto makers don't sell them here anymore, while europe get's all the sporty alpine wagons that wagon lovers like myself lust after. Alas, we can only buy what options we're given on this side of the world. That said, AWD wagons do exist here, but only if you can afford them as only luxury brands seem to offer them. BMW 3-series touring, Audi A4 Avant (and soon to be re-released awesome Allroad), Infiniti EX, and even the Volvo XC60/XC70 put themselves out of many people's reasonable price ranges when it comes right down to it. VW sells a golf wagon but it only comes in FWD, beyond that, almost all car makers sell hatchbacks that are built on affordable compact/small car sedan siblings, but when it comes to midsize or full size cars, these 5th door versions have become extinct, replaced by SUV's.

For example, Subaru used to sell the Legacy wagon here. But 4 years ago it decided that nah, "it's too much like the Outback" and stopped selling it (but sells it, and the Outback, together elsewhere in other countries), which if you compare a gigantic Outback to a normal size sedan is a stretch connection at best. Subaru is releasing the XV here soon (which is basically a Outback'd Impreza), but it's got the same amount of cargo space as my current car, which isn't enough.

Beyond that, what else is there aside from CUV's and SUV's? Even though it's not a wagon, I really wanted to like the new Mazda CX-5. But once i sat in one and checked it out, I was underwhelmed. I don't think it will be large enough for future (IE family) needs. So, right now, I have things nailed down to the refreshed 2013 Subaru Outback (despite it size), or the completely redesigned 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (despite being a SUV).

That being said, I did recently find a still new and un-sold 2011 Saab 9-3X Sportcombi wagon that I would defiantly consider since they are being sold at heavily discounted rates (when you can find one). But it's at a dealership in another province and would require some logistics, and of course considering that Saab is now out of business, there's a good amount of risk there, but the sale price is hard to ignore.

Does anyone -
- Have any suggestions that I haven't considered? (I have considered much more then I've listed here, FYI)

and/or

- Have experience with Saab's?

Sorry about the long post, Thanks in advance.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

@ tips

This won't answer any of your questions, just an observation really. I'm kind of surprised there are not more AWD's for wagons on the market in Canada. Despite last winter's great roads, the typical Edmontonian and many other Canadians really could use AWD or 4x4. I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I do not use winter tires, drive a 4x4, and will never go back to FWD.....ever.

I would think Edmonton would be a good area to sell these types of vehicles...I guess not.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Philly85
Moody'

wow Federer beat The Joker today? sweet. Setting up for an epic Wimbledon final with Andy Murray.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:56 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Don't really care about MMA, but just having to listen to Sonnen clips recently is enough to make me appreciate what happened to him tonight. Top shelf schadenfreude when you see a cocky ****** embarrass himself like that.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:05 AM
tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
@ tips

This won't answer any of your questions, just an observation really. I'm kind of surprised there are not more AWD's for wagons on the market in Canada. Despite last winter's great roads, the typical Edmontonian and many other Canadians really could use AWD or 4x4. I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I do not use winter tires, drive a 4x4, and will never go back to FWD.....ever.

I would think Edmonton would be a good area to sell these types of vehicles...I guess not.
Agree 100%. I would also say Quebec would be a excellent place to sell AWD wagons as well, but the sad thing here is that SUV's have destroyed any sort of market need that AWD wagons would hope to fill. In europe, it's somewhat the opposite, as a fraction of the SUVs sold here are sold (and offered) across the atlantic, plus many of their roads/infrastructure don't allow for common citizens to own larger vehicles, but this is more true for larger cities.

Even still, i'm not sure why car companies have decided to make them almost extinct. I have even emailed Subaru Canada in the past requesting that they bring back the Legacy wagon. (I actually received a response saying that they can't comment on future vehicles, but listen to what their customers are saying). Its strange that there there is literally no option whatsoever for a new AWD wagon in the $35k range, unless you count used luxury vehicles, which isn't really the best option. If a maker actually offered one, that may drum up some demand for one, and Subaru seems like the most likely candidate as they still make and sell the Legacy wagon in other markets.

'Till that time, someone like me has to compromise... and SUV's are the only real option... which is disappointing.

Old
07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
#ualberta

This weather is ridiculous
I'm f***ing melting

Old
07-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
@ tips

No, you're in the ignorant majority actually.
AWD and 4x4 will do nothing to slow your car down faster on ice and snow. All it will help you do is gain traction to get rolling. It's people with the same opinion as you that make the roads that much more unsafe during the winter months.

There's nothing safer in icy conditions than FWD with proper winter tires. I wish AB would impose the same bylaws that Quebec did a few years ago and make proper winter tires mandatory after a cut off in october.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
This weather is ridiculous
I'm f***ing melting
All good with me. We get 2 weeks of this type of weather in Edmonton per year. I don't mind being melted for that duration. lol.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:03 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
AWD and 4x4 will do nothing to slow your car down faster on ice and snow. All it will help you do is gain traction to get rolling. It's people with the same opinion as you that make the roads that much more unsafe during the winter months.

There's nothing safer in icy conditions than FWD with proper winter tires. I wish AB would impose the same bylaws that Quebec did a few years ago and make proper winter tires mandatory after a cut off in october.
I never figured FWD would be MORE safe than AWD in icy conditions. Wouldn't it still be better control-wise sideways and what not to have more wheels you can put power to? Obviously stopping in a straight line AWD is worthless.

I get through winters fine in my subcompact with dedicated winter tires but I'm still upgrading to AWD and a taller, heavier vehicle ASAP

Also Tips, is the Impreza wagon too small in the cargo department?

Last edited by T-Funk: 07-09-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 499
Holy hell it's hot out.
Probably not a good idea to go running/walking/biking...

Old
07-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Sorry about the outages.

Signed, all Alberta D&T companies

Old
07-09-2012, 05:37 PM
awesomo
HARD!

What a day for the office ac to break down

Couldn't even concentrate today

Old
07-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:

Hold off there Groucho. Don't lump me in with the a-holes who use their 4x4 to speed in poor road conditions. I pretty much solely use 4x4 to do exactly what you inferred...to gain traction from a stop so I can get going. Then I flip it back to FWD. I don't know why I should have to explain my driving habits to you, but I will....cause I can.

So there.

How'd ya like them apples bub!

Old
07-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Hold off there Groucho. Don't lump me in with the a-holes who use their 4x4 to speed in poor road conditions. I pretty much solely use 4x4 to do exactly what you inferred...to gain traction from a stop so I can get going. Then I flip it back to FWD. I don't know why I should have to explain my driving habits to you, but I will....cause I can.

So there.

How'd ya like them apples bub!

You should still be using a dedicated winter tire, that actually will help you come to a more controlled stop and will shorten your stopping distance should you need to do some quick braking.

(apple sauce)

Old
07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
You should still be using a dedicated winter tire, that actually will help you come to a more controlled stop and will shorten your stopping distance should you need to do some quick braking.

(apple sauce)
I find that flipping into 4x4 does help. I'm a reasonable and concientious driver to begin with...you know...make sure you're not too close to someone, go speed limit, don't drink coffee and put on makeup () while driving, stop for mother ducks crossing the road with her ducklings, avoid skirmishes with 3 year olds on bikes...etc.

4x4 for me works well in less than perfect conditions for the most part.

I agree with the winter tire stuff, but I'm of Scottish decent and am much too cheap to go that route.

BTW: Why in hell's are we arguing about winter driving. I think my tires melted to the pavement today. We should be arguing about how to properly BBQ a hamburger or how to cool off the house best. Our power went down for an hour today, and man I missed my fans.

Last edited by Dorian2: 07-09-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

Quote:

I understand the point you are trying to make, but straight line stopping is literally the only scenario in which AWD has no advantage. Even then it is equal, I fail to see how it is safer. There is no power being put to any wheels at any point during braking, regardless of AWD/FWD/RWD so what would the difference be? Or are you simply referencing the tendency for AWD/4x4 people to drive like idiots thinking they are invincible? Which I would agree with - and I drive an AWD.

But I'll tell you, when it dumps and I have to get out of my alley, I got stuck numerous times with FWD and winter tires, whereas with AWD and all seasons, I have not even been close to getting stuck, and my AWD is lower.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
But I'll tell you, when it dumps and I have to get out of my alley, I got stuck numerous times with FWD and winter tires, whereas with AWD and all seasons, I have not even been close to getting stuck, and my AWD is lower.
bingo. this is one of the main reasons i want AWD in my next car. I use a lot of alleys and side streets and unless we get a year like last winter where it barely snows (lucky), I get stuck a few times a week on these lesser-used arteries (depending on snow levels). I have used winter tries on my current car in the past, and while it does help for sure, i found that I still got stuck when it snowed hard.

@ Groucho - I agree that people who buy 4x4 or AWD cars can drive like complete a-holes when it comes to winter time, thinking they can still drive like it's today's weather. But that doesn't mean the majority do, as in everything the minority gives the majority a bad wrap.

@ t-funk - I do like the impreza hatches (although, the recent re-design somewhat underwhelmed me), but they are basically the same size as my current car.

I noticed over the weekend that the new Allroad has been officially released. oh man... what a sweet machine that is. anyone have $50k they can lend me? haha.

and yes. it's WAY too freakin hot out..

Old
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I think I should have been a little clearer on something, I know that FWD is technologically less proficient than AWD, when I said FWD was safer I was kind of alluding to the false sense of security that AWD can give some drivers.

I myself drive VW Golf's (I have a GTI and a TDI) and I find that barring a major dumping from a storm I can get around just fine.

And Dorian, that's kind of funny you should say that because if you bare down and buy the winter set you'll save yourself money in the long run

Old
07-10-2012, 02:10 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
The Calgary Stampede and Edmonton CFR both embarass me as an Albertan.

Closed Thread