HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
I just Doan know if he will come here or not. I hope he does though.

Hopefully Fisher will give him a call.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:07 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I just think, IF Doan leaves Phoenix, he will remain on the west coast...LA or Anaheim.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:57 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

There is rumors of NYR giving up everybody but Lundz and Cally. Jurist do it!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:59 AM
RaiderDoug

Bored, and kicking around ideas - is DP making a mistake by not brining back Andrei Kostitsyn?

Looking at the available forward FAs - he's probably 3rd best behind Doan (likely not going to leave Phx or the West Coast), and Semin (will be expensive, dubious "predator" qualities (like defense/effort), might not even want to come here).

He scored 12pts in 19 games in Nashville, while learning new teammates and a new system. He added another 4pts in 8 games in the playoffs, with 3 goals. Would it be a stretch to say he probably be good for 20G and 50pts with a full year here.

He was also +7 in the regular season, and +3 in the playoffs - I know all the arguments against +/-, but I still like it. I think he could probably be considered at least adequate defensively.

He's probably come cheap (cheaper than Doan/Semin). He'd probably be receptive to playing in Nashville with his bro.

I've no faith in the ability or willingness to deal for a guy like Ryan (I think some desperate eastern conference team will pony up more and I don't think the Ducks want him in the West) or Nash (won't waive NTC to come here).

What else is out there? Who is more likely to score more goals in the NHL next year - Kostitsyn, or someone like Andrew Brunette? Hagman, Mueller, etc, etc, etc.

What's more likely to convince Shea Weber to stick around (other than a dumptruck full of cash) - signing a guy like Kostitsyn, or bringing up some little known rookie and keeping your fingers crossed?

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Bored, and kicking around ideas - is DP making a mistake by not brining back Andrei Kostitsyn?
I wouldn't have a problem with this. Remember the PP goal AK and SK teamed up for in one of AK's first games in Nashville? I wondered why Trotz didn't play them together on the PP more ... they had instant chemistry.

OTOH ... no other teams are signing him, Montreal really didn't want to deal with his "issues," and there's the whole me before the team deal in AZ ... could be bad blood with current team members.

So, there ya go ... I've played both sides.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
trevorbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
What's more likely to convince Shea Weber to stick around (other than a dumptruck full of cash) - signing a guy like Kostitsyn, or bringing up some little known rookie and keeping your fingers crossed?
Probably the rookie if Weber's as annoyed with AK as he was with Radulov.

It's only July 9th though. Still a few options available that aren't disliked by the team. I have no problem bringing the guy back, I just don't know how happy the team would be to bring him back in.

trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Even if I ignore the Scottsdale incident, I still wouldn't take him back. I just didn't think he was a good fit. His point totals are very misleading IMO.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:55 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Based on a series of tweets that are fresh off the grill, it appears Doan's choices are LA, Detroit, and Vancouver.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Based on a series of tweets that are fresh off the grill, it appears Doan's choices are LA, Detroit, and Vancouver.
Preds not in the running??? Surprise, surprise, surprise.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with this. Remember the PP goal AK and SK teamed up for in one of AK's first games in Nashville? I wondered why Trotz didn't play them together on the PP more ... they had instant chemistry.

OTOH ... no other teams are signing him, Montreal really didn't want to deal with his "issues," and there's the whole me before the team deal in AZ ... could be bad blood with current team members.

So, there ya go ... I've played both sides.

He will be signed after Doan and Semin, that way he will have better offers. His agent is Don, so no worries, he will be signed...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Beginning to look like the most reasonable option is to trade, whether you believe that this is the top 30, there doesn't appear to be much leftover.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30.html

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Broom of the System

There's a rumor that Peter Mueller is about to sign with the Flames. Not very reliable, but a shame if true, I think he'd be a terrific reclamation project. Tons of skill, just some unfortunate injury concerns.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

i dont even see how we make it past the floor. maybe just enough but nothing more. poile wont make any moves. there isnt anyone really available at this juncture

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:00 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
i dont even see how we make it past the floor. maybe just enough but nothing more. poile wont make any moves. there isnt anyone really available at this juncture
We'll make it past the floor no problem... Mid point? Not sure about that.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
We'll make it past the floor no problem... Mid point? Not sure about that.
we wont even be close to that.

really sad considering how much we have accomplished lately.. always a rollercoaster around here

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:48 AM
jusu11

Personally DP has let me down this summer! After Suter bolted i really thought that now we are going to make some big moves but... Looks like only good options are via trades!

jusu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:46 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I know I'm being impatient but after all the success of the past 2 years and now this crap. I'm feeling stressed and upset. And after the quotes of Weber being shocked and stuff, it's just more to worry about. If we lose both Suter and Weber, it'll be hard to financially support this team for awhile. You can't be doing this good and keep hearing that our window is open, and then it all go to hell at the flip of a switch. I know GMDP is doing what he can, but it's hard not to be frustrated at him right now. This is becoming one ****** section of the rollercoaster ride. Not as bad as the firesale, but getting near it. If Weber leaves too then it might as well be a fire sale. I hope GMDP has something up his sleeve. Why the hell haven't we gotten a JayBo or some kind of replacement signed yet? Arrgh. *rant over*

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:13 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Looks like Semin is signing with the Pens for a year.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

We aren't the only team who really needs to make a move. I'm sure poile is working deals and talking to free agents but its obviously a sellers market and those with assets to move aren't in a hurry to unload them. Its horrible as a fan, but it is what it is...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

If it is a seller market, Weber should be traded for the best return possible. Starting a rebuild isn't that bad of an idea if we can get valuable prospects/young players from weber. Trade one of Fisher/Legwand and let Smith play a top 2 center next year and see what happens.

Move wilson for an asset we can actually use.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:06 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
If it is a seller market, Weber should be traded for the best return possible. Starting a rebuild isn't that bad of an idea if we can get valuable prospects/young players from weber. Trade one of Fisher/Legwand and let Smith play a top 2 center next year and see what happens.

Move wilson for an asset we can actually use.
I somewhat agree with this. I would rather Weber gets locked up, but he better hurry up and make a decision (saaay...a 7/31 deadline). I would love if we can get a return for Legwand. I do think, however, that we need to keep Wilson, unless he's packaged for a better offensive threat. Straight up, he doesn't get us jack and I believe he can turn into a force for us, though Trotz needs to give him ice time.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I somewhat agree with this. I would rather Weber gets locked up, but he better hurry up and make a decision (saaay...a 7/31 deadline). I would love if we can get a return for Legwand. I do think, however, that we need to keep Wilson, unless he's packaged for a better offensive threat. Straight up, he doesn't get us jack and I believe he can turn into a force for us, though Trotz needs to give him ice time.
I agree, an August 1st deadline sounds reasonable. Ultimately, I think Weber gets moved before then. I would prefer to give Smith a chance to be our franchise center and move one of our 2nd line centers (since we have two) and use the money to get a "replacement" for Suter.

Save your pennies for next year and consider this a rebuild year with a quick turn over depending on how much we get back for Weber. I would be ok, and actually, would be feeling great if we managed to drop into the bottom 5 in the league and were able to get a top offensive prospect. Our window of opportunity has closed but it can open again very shortly if we get the right young pieces. Look at Pitts or Chicago. Our core and goaltending is better than either of their teams, but their ability to get top picks and grab elite talent has made them power houses. I think we can do the same in less time (especially if we move weber)

Wilson is an enigma. He has consistently shown he is inconsistent and I truly believe as long as Trotz is the coach, Wilson will always struggle. I would rather package him + for a guy like Evander Kane or Burmistrov or even a David Booth. Right now Wilson isn't developing or getting the playing time like he needs to. This is another situation where it might be best for both parties if they part ways sooner rather than later (especially considering who wilson's agent is).

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:06 AM
token grinder

question for those wanting to move weber and the mention of Legwand...

We would be getting young pieces back for them. You are looking at replacing 13 million to hit the cap floor. You have to think we would be getting back 3 pieces to use now, and I guarentee those peices will not add up to 13 million. Unless your strategy includes taking on Thomas or Savards contracts, this does not make much sense. In this era of salary cap, you have to have 5-6 guys making 4-5 million bucks to hit the cap floor.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
29dryden29

Apparently the HABS and better yet Doans cousin and netminder in Montreal CP have talked about him joining us in MTL. Doans agent apparently commented on the HABS contacting them already. HE is getting a little older but I wouldn't mind his leadership in the lockeroom in MTL for sure.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:26 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
question for those wanting to move weber and the mention of Legwand...

We would be getting young pieces back for them. You are looking at replacing 13 million to hit the cap floor. You have to think we would be getting back 3 pieces to use now, and I guarentee those peices will not add up to 13 million. Unless your strategy includes taking on Thomas or Savards contracts, this does not make much sense. In this era of salary cap, you have to have 5-6 guys making 4-5 million bucks to hit the cap floor.
Assuming we give Weber $8.5, moves will have to be made regardless, unless we drastically overpay our RFA's. Plus, if we take back a contract dump, I would assume that sweetens the deal for us and we get back better assets in return.