HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Didn't Mach have some good chemistry when he played with Mittens? I remember them having the best scoring chances in some games even with 4-5 minutes of ice time. Maybe the 4th line will be Slater centering those two guys which would leave Thor as the 13th fwd.
Wow. A 4th line of Slates, Mitts, and Macho sounds super competent. That is a line you could put out when you wanted to turn things around or have the lead.

I still think that Fehr is coming back, and if the Jets indeed to pick up that coveted top 6 winger, there will be a real battle in TC and as the season progresses. If I was Thor I'd be nervous now, though I'd imagine he would stick around and be inserted when we needed toughness.

07-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Tintin's Ghost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Yes, Machacek led the IceCaps in scoring this season and put up 9 points in 13 games with the Jets, but wasn't driving the scoring chances as seen with unspectacular Corsi numbers. Is his scoring rate sustainable? No, of course not. His on-ice shooting percentage was 26.3%, his PDO was 1213 and his 5v5 P/60 was an absurd 5.57. To put that in perspective, Sidney Crosby's on-ice shooting percentage was 15.17% and his 5v5 P/60 was 4.73.
Sportchek is gonna dump Sid for Macho by the end of the year. Plus no concussion history so can memorize his lines better.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:24 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

@robvolmanNHL did a "effects from UFA" calculation to determine change from signings on teams. Stats aren't and be-all-and-end-all but they can help give perspectives...
Jets came 3rd highest (at +14.2 GVT) after Minny (+28.4) and TBL (+21.5).

Old
07-08-2012, 04:27 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Wow. A 4th line of Slates, Mitts, and Macho sounds super competent. That is a line you could put out when you wanted to turn things around or have the lead.

I still think that Fehr is coming back, and if the Jets indeed to pick up that coveted top 6 winger, there will be a real battle in TC and as the season progresses. If I was Thor I'd be nervous now, though I'd imagine he would stick around and be inserted when we needed toughness.
Ya, I agree that Thor will be around. He's a good leader and can drop the mitts. Originally, I thought he would be trade bait with Hainsey but we do need him around especially with Glass gone.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:16 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Ya, I agree that Thor will be around. He's a good leader and can drop the mitts. Originally, I thought he would be trade bait with Hainsey but we do need him around especially with Glass gone.
His contract and that his type aren't a wanted trade commodity durring this time of the year means he'll be on the team, whether in the press box or on the bench is the question

Old
07-09-2012, 01:00 PM
PitbulI

Have the Jets resigned Mahachek yet?

Old
07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitbulI View Post
Have the Jets resigned Mahachek yet?
Qualifying offers have been sent out so we still own him (and many other of our RFA's).... We just await for them to come to their aggreements on particular terms.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

Old
07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
BigZ65

What's up with Wellwood? Not even any buzz or rumours.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:05 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
What's up with Wellwood? Not even any buzz or rumours.
Only two things I can think of (and its probably a combination of the two):

1) Jets are interested in someone else (they are talking with other preferred picks over him)

2) Wellwood is entertaining offers from other teams

A lot of these things take time and there is no rush period right now to sign players. Think of it as behind the scenes chess between GM's and players & their agents, with NDAs and such so a lot of things don't become public during discussions.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Only two things I can think of (and its probably a combination of the two):

1) Jets are interested in someone else (they are talking with other preferred picks over him)

2) Wellwood is entertaining offers from other teams

A lot of these things take time and there is no rush period right now to sign players. Think of it as behind the scenes chess between GM's and players & their agents, with NDAs and such so a lot of things don't become public during discussions.
I would add to that. I think after his best statistical year Wellwood is asking for more than Chevy thinks he is worth. Wellwood can fill some holes but I don't think he is in the long term plans for a Jets team trying to get bigger and tougher to play against. Chevy is waiting him out to either get him at their price or let him go. IMO it is a risky game for Wellwood, after his mostly unsettled career it may be difficult for him to find as good as opportunity the Jets offered him last year. Another bad fit and down year somewhere else just might be the end of the road for his career.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I would add to that. I think after his best statistical year Wellwood is asking for more than Chevy thinks he is worth. Wellwood can fill some holes but I don't think he is in the long term plans for a Jets team trying to get bigger and tougher to play against. Chevy is waiting him out to either get him at their price or let him go. IMO it is a risky game for Wellwood, after his mostly unsettled career it may be difficult for him to find as good as opportunity the Jets offered him last year. Another bad fit and down year somewhere else just might be the end of the road for his career.
I would go a little further and suggest that an agreement between the 2 parties is plan B for both, which is fine. He may well still end up a Jet next year and after what he did for us last year I'd be happy to have him.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:03 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I would go a little further and suggest that an agreement between the 2 parties is plan B for both, which is fine. He may well still end up a Jet next year and after what he did for us last year I'd be happy to have him.
The other interesting factor at play is Scheifele. If he plays himself onto our top 9, there is no room for Wellwood to start, as he is not a 4th liner. So, it's a game of chicken right now, played out in real time, with a bigger and better Scheif making Chevy a little less likely to blink first....

Old
07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The problem I have with Wellwood is that I don't see him putting up the kinds of numbers he did again. However, the fact that he did put up those numbers now puts him in the position to ask for a big contract (ex. 3-4 million x 4-5 years).

Wellwood at 1 year on a 900k contract is a bargain. Wellwood at 3.5 million for 4 years is gamble.

I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like Peter Mueller for 1 year for ~1.5 million instead. If he puts up the kind of numbers Wellwood did then great. If not, it's only a 1 year deal.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
The problem I have with Wellwood is that I don't see him putting up the kinds of numbers he did again. However, the fact that he did put up those numbers now puts him in the position to ask for a big contract (ex. 3-4 million x 4-5 years).

Wellwood at 1 year on a 900k contract is a bargain. Wellwood at 3.5 million for 4 years is gamble.

I'd rather roll the dice on a guy like Peter Mueller for 1 year for ~1.5 million instead. If he puts up the kind of numbers Wellwood did then great. If not, it's only a 1 year deal.
Have to agree with you. Welly is very inconsistant is he returning to the 40+ wellwood of 05-07 or will he return to the 10-30 pt getter from 07-11?

Tough gamble and hard to warrent a huge increase based on one good season in the past 6 years. Obviously they were two different situations playing in T.O. and Van. TOI etc that I cannot locate.

I would really stay away from anything more then 1-2 years for Welly with our prospects excelling (crossing fingers)

Last edited by Ziggy66: 07-10-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1709
I'll repeat what I said here a few weeks ago; some here are not granting Scheifele enough of a chance to make the team.

I understand the whole wanting to have him spend another season in junior thing for further seasoning, but he spent the last year playing for the Jets, for Barrie, for the Canadian National Junior Team, and in the AHL. When he was sent back to Barrie last year he wasn't physically strong enough, but he did last several games in the NHL regular season despite weighing just 176 pounds when he was returned to Barrie. He weighed in yesterday at 192, and hopes to be pushing near 200 by training camp. Strength shouldn't be quite the issue this season.

In my view Scheifele would be best served now by learning while practicing with men, and by playing against men. Dominating his peer group this season wouldn't push him as much as would increasing the overall challenge. We are talking about a kid that nearly made this team last season as a pipsqueak. He has a damn good chance to make it now IMO with some actual muscle on his frame.

Ease him in. Sign Stapler again as a utility guy and to spell off against Scheifele if need be; play Scheifele only 50 or 60 games if that is all he can handle. Being eased into the lineup didn't hurt either Stamkos or Seguin.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

You make good points, Gump.

I know some get annoyed with the line-combinations people make and discuss here, and it's true Noel mixes and matches often, but I think it still gives us an idea of our depth, etc. And, it's fun to talk about in the dog days of summer, I think.

Ladd - Jokinen - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - Little
Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Burmistrov
Machacek - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen

Or, to ease Scheifele along in perhaps a more comfortable (insulated, if you will) 3rd line role,

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Burmistrov
Ponikarovsky - Scheifele - Antropov
Miettinen

Either way, Scheifele could be a nice fit here as early as this year both for himself and the team. He could likely easily fit within the top 6-9 if his play warranted it and he could play with some solid NHL'ers in a nice mix of opportunity and insulation, in my opinion.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I'll repeat what I said here a few weeks ago; some here are not granting Scheifele enough of a chance to make the team.

I understand the whole wanting to have him spend another season in junior thing for further seasoning, but he spent the last year playing for the Jets, for Barrie, for the Canadian National Junior Team, and in the AHL. When he was sent back to Barrie last year he wasn't physically strong enough, but he did last several games in the NHL regular season despite weighing just 176 pounds when he was returned to Barrie. He weighed in yesterday at 192, and hopes to be pushing near 200 by training camp. Strength shouldn't be quite the issue this season.

In my view Scheifele would be best served now by learning while practicing with men, and by playing against men. Dominating his peer group this season wouldn't push him as much as would increasing the overall challenge. We are talking about a kid that nearly made this team last season as a pipsqueak. He has a damn good chance to make it now IMO with some actual muscle on his frame.

Ease him in. Sign Stapler again as a utility guy and to spell off against Scheifele if need be; play Scheifele only 50 or 60 games if that is all he can handle. Being eased into the lineup didn't hurt either Stamkos or Seguin.
I agree - he's not going to learn anything playing against 16-year-olds in the OHL for another year. Maybe if Noel can contain his on-bench rookie-only scream-fests and put him on a line that doesn't include AHL slowfoot Brett MacLean (get well soon, Brett!) and a ham sandwich, he might turn into the player we caught a glimpse of in the exhibition games last year...

Old
07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

I don't always agree with you Gump but I do this time... here's the thing though
A lot of us want him to earn it by clawing/fighting for it.
That's (one reason) why a lower top6 pickup like Wellwood would be better than a higher end caphit like Semin.

EDIT: looks like we're more align then I thought

Last edited by garret9: 07-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:

I thought the NHL wasn't a developmental league?

Or is that statement only applicable if we are talking about Burmistrov?

Old
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:

I agree, I mentioned earlier as well that we shouldn't write Scheifele out of the lineup just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

I know some get annoyed with the line-combinations people make and discuss here, and it's true Noel mixes and matches often, but I think it still gives us an idea of our depth, etc. And, it's fun to talk about in the dog days of summer, I think.

Ladd - Jokinen - Wheeler
Miettinen

Or, to ease Scheifele along in perhaps a more comfortable (insulated, if you will) 3rd line role,

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Miettinen

Either way, Scheifele could be a nice fit here as early as this year both for himself and the team. He could likely easily fit within the top 6-9 if his play warranted it and he could play with some solid NHL'ers in a nice mix of opportunity and insulation, in my opinion.

At first I thought that having him on the 3rd would be good. That somehow the 3rd would have easier minutes.

But then I thought that maybe (at home at least), that the 3rd would actually see harder minutes than the 2nd? Maybe Noel uses the 3rd (and 4th) lines in the harder defensive situations against other top lines, and tries to match up the 1st and 2nd with easier competition.

In that vein, I like the 1st set of lineups. Although I wonder if having Scheifele surrounded by guys like Ladd and Little would be better than Kane. Nothing against Kane, I'm just wondering if having Ladd on Scheifele's wing might be better for Scheifele.

I would still like to find a place for Cormier if there was one as well.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post

[mod]

Burmistrov is listed as 180 lbs on the Jets website. That's after two years in the League. Scheifele is at 192 now.

I'd have no problem with Mark playing another year of junior but if he seems ready than why not?

Burmistrov was put in the 4th line in ATL as a rookie. Not exactly the optimal way to develop a player.
[mod]

Last edited by Jet: 07-10-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: focus on the subject at hand, don't worry about other posters.
Old
07-10-2012, 01:44 PM
puck stoppa

I like those lines, and also think that Scheifele would be better suited with Ladd and Little and Kane could play with Oli and Wheeler. I think Cormier and Klingberg will play their fair share of games this year once the injuries factor in. Should be a great camp!

Old
07-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post

You misread my post. By stating that he'd be more challenged now by playing against men I was suggesting that I believe he may indeed be capable of doing so now - with the additional strength on his side.

I don't recall referencing Burmistrov in that post either. The Thrashers however threw Burmistrov to the wolves at 18, the Jets might bring Scheifele up at 19. I also suggested they ease him in. Not at all analogous situations.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:58 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

Ladd - Jokinen - Wheeler
Miettinen

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Miettinen

Injurries aside, Noel actually doesn't change the line combinations *that much* for 5v5. In the start there was a lot but that was him learning a new team and figuring out chemistry.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...=F&gametype=10

Most of the randoms are from linechanges/injuries/etc in the last bit.

I'd be afraid putting Sheif on a 3rd checking line since that raises risk of injury then on the 2nd line which Noel likes to shelter.

EDIT: I do understand that the same fears are possible with Burmistrov also, but we don't have the option of sending Burmi to juniors.

Last edited by garret9: 07-10-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I don't always agree with you Gump but I do this time... here's the thing though
A lot of us want him to earn it by clawing/fighting for it.
That's (one reason) why a lower top6 pickup like Wellwood would be better than a higher end caphit like Semin.
Not sure where you thought I didn't feel that he shouldn't be fighting for a spot? He clearly is thus far in fact - by spending last season working on his play in all three zones and by taking the Jets' training staff's nutritional and workout advice to heart.

I've also always been in favour of re-signing Wellwood and have not once ever advocated bringing in Semin; in fact, I've posted against it; I guess you agree with me.

Closed Thread