Odd man out - Bouchard?

Old
07-07-2012, 06:01 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Meh, I'd rather be optimistic. It's much more fun.
Hells yeah it is! Makes me feel like I saw both the Parise and Suter signings coming!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:18 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I'd rather Bouchard on the 2nd line over Cullen to be honest.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:22 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

I can't imagine Bouchard has any trade value until he plays some more hockey games and shows he's really healthy and not afraid to play with the big boys.

I've been thinking if they get in cap space trouble, buying him out would get them some room this year at little cost to next year (with Backs coming off the cap).

But, it probably comes down to whether he is really healthy and ready to play NHL hockey. If he is, then let him play, hope he does well, and try like hell to trade him in that narrow window between when he looks like a legit high-skill NHL forward and before he gets concussed again.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:25 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
I can't imagine Bouchard has any trade value until he plays some more hockey games and shows he's really healthy and not afraid to play with the big boys.

I've been thinking if they get in cap space trouble, buying him out would get them some room this year at little cost to next year (with Backs coming off the cap).

But, it probably comes down to whether he is really healthy and ready to play NHL hockey. If he is, then let him play, hope he does well, and try like hell to trade him in that narrow window between when he looks like a legit high-skill NHL forward and before he gets concussed again.
I think he may have abit of value, but it's certainly at an all time low.

Old
07-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I'd rather Bouchard on the 2nd line over Cullen to be honest.
As would everyone.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:43 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
As would everyone.
Very true, but there's a few variations.

Old
07-07-2012, 08:03 PM
El Nino22

Bouchard may be the odd man out, but we won't know until we have seen the team play. Maybe Bouchard will fit really nicely with Heatley or Parise or even Seto. Then do you keep him? Also we need to be able to see if some of these young guys are ready. I know Granlund is almost a lock, but guys like Coyle, Larsson, Zucker, Phillips, Bulmer all need to be seen inorder to determine how close or far away they are before we can start selling low on our skill guys.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:21 PM
North Metro Peewees

Here's how I see the top 9 next season:

Parise/Koivu/Heatley
Seto/Granlund/Coyle
Clutterbuck/Brodziak/Cullen

In 2013-14 it should look like:
Parise/Koivu/Heatley
Seto/Granlund/Coyle
Larsson/Brodziak/Bulmer

So yeah, I could see Butch dealt AND could also see Clutterbuck dealt since I believe Mitchell was signed to play on the third line which based on what Flahr said over the weekend could also include the likes of Larsson, Zucker and Bulmer. I doubt if any of the young guys make the team it would be to play fourth line minutes.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Here's how I see the top 9 next season:

Parise/Koivu/Heatley
Seto/Granlund/Coyle
Clutterbuck/Brodziak/Cullen

So yeah, I could see Butch dealt AND could also see Clutterbuck dealt since I believe Mitchell was signed to play on the third line which based on what Flahr said over the weekend could also include the likes of Larsson, Zucker and Bulmer. I doubt if any of the young guys make the team it would be to play fourth line minutes.
Personally, I don't see Coyle being able to pull off a 2nd line position this quickly. I think he either plays some top minutes in Houston or slowly transitions into the Wild by playing a bit of bottom six minutes.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Personally, I don't see Coyle being able to pull off a 2nd line position this quickly. I think he either plays some top minutes in Houston or slowly transitions into the Wild by playing a bit of bottom six minutes.
Maybe, but it doesn't always work that way. Didn't Hagelin play on the NYR top line with Gaborik and Richards. I don't think he is a 'first line player' exactly. It's all about the best fit. That's why, before Parise, I was thinking that a Heatley - Koivu - Coyle line could've worked.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:32 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I don't see any way that Coyle would make the team out of camp. That's doubly true when you factor in that Bouchard is allegedly fully healthy. Furthremore, I think the team will try keep Coyle as a center at least until they know whether Granlund will make it as a center or if he needs to be moved to wing.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
No matter how great the prospects do. I don't see them making the team out of camp. There just into room for them without making some moves.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I consider Coyle to be at least as polished as Kreider and look at the contributions he made for the Rangers in the playoffs.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
No matter how great the prospects do. I don't see them making the team out of camp. There just into room for them without making some moves.
But that's exactly what Fletcher and Co. have said. If one of the young guys are one of the best 12 guys (within reason) they said they would not hesitate to make room for them.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
But that's exactly what Fletcher and Co. have said. If one of the young guys are one of the best 12 guys (within reason) they said they would not hesitate to make room for them.
I didn't know that. Interesting. Gives me hope.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

Mother of God, I just re-watched that Bogosian hit on Bouchard. Ouch.

Bouchard is a great player, with little to be gained for trading him, and a small chance of gaining a lot if he stays healthy. I say keep him around. Who knows, with all of our depth, maybe he can play a lesser role to keep healthy.

Also, I'm going to miss G-Lat. He was a great player to have (when healthy).

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:11 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

The thing is, if Butch has a good year (which would make me happy), then are you really going to give him a multi-year deal next summer? That's still very risky. He's got to go at least two years without another concussion before you can do that.

But someone else might, and he'd likely go to July 1 to explore that possibility, and then we lose him for nothing.

I probably wouldn't trade him now unless it felt like a no-brainer, but if he gets off to a good start, as difficult as it might be with people clamoring to not jiggle a team that is winning, I'd be looking to move him anywhere from December to the deadline.

If you trade him now, it's probably like Benny for Lats --exchanging problem childs. Maybe that works out, if the other problem child is a quality d-man who has underperformed for reasons you're willing to take a chance on, and doesn't come with a long-term contract committment.

I've actually been thinking he would be buy-out bait for cap space purposes if necessary, but at least a couple people around here assure us he's healthy and ready to go this year. So, I guess we'll see.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
It is quite possible that opening night's roster will look quite a bit different from the playoff roster.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
The thing is, if Butch has a good year (which would make me happy), then are you really going to give him a multi-year deal next summer? That's still very risky. He's got to go at least two years without another concussion before you can do that.

But someone else might, and he'd likely go to July 1 to explore that possibility, and then we lose him for nothing.

I probably wouldn't trade him now unless it felt like a no-brainer, but if he gets off to a good start, as difficult as it might be with people clamoring to not jiggle a team that is winning, I'd be looking to move him anywhere from December to the deadline.

If you trade him now, it's probably like Benny for Lats --exchanging problem childs. Maybe that works out, if the other problem child is a quality d-man who has underperformed for reasons you're willing to take a chance on, and doesn't come with a long-term contract committment.

I've actually been thinking he would be buy-out bait for cap space purposes if necessary, but at least a couple people around here assure us he's healthy and ready to go this year. So, I guess we'll see.
With the way our team and young players are now constructed, I'm actually not too worried about losing this year's UFAs for nothing. I certainly wouldn't look to lessen our playoff chances just to get a couple draft picks for Bouchard.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
With the way our team and young players are now constructed, I'm actually not too worried about losing this year's UFAs for nothing. I certainly wouldn't look to lessen our playoff chances just to get a couple draft picks for Bouchard.
^This.

If the Wild are gunning for the playoffs, I want all hands on deck. If healthy, Bouchard could be a big help in any playoff run. If we lose him next summer to free agency, so be it....and we wouldn't lose him for "nothing", we would gain valuable cap space.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:12 PM
GreatStateofHockey

Right now, there is a place for him.

It looks like we will have a set top line (Parise, Koivu, Heater) and a middle six , no set top six.

The middle two lines will most likely get similar ice time.

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Nsjohnson

When healthy and in condition, Bouchard oozes a skill set that no other player on this team has. His stick skills mixed with his very good skating style in the offensive zone mixed with great passing and vision is what makes him a lock for 50+ assists every year IF he stayed healthy to play more than 75 games. The guy also has a hell of a slapper. Since we can't get rid of him, you WANT him in the line up. Specially on the PP.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
LordFletcher

let's say Butch has a good year, and shows signs that his health concerns are in the past.... Does Fletcher give him a new deal and how much money do you think Butch would demand?

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
let's say Butch has a good year, and shows signs that his health concerns are in the past.... Does Fletcher give him a new deal and how much money do you think Butch would demand?
With Coyle, Zucker, Larsson, etc knocking on the door I think he walks.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote