HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Jeff Halpern (1 year @ 700K)

Old
07-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
You can disagree with it if you want, that's fine. I just think of those things differently, because there are other assets involved in the supposed deal besides those 3 players. I did that kind of breakdown, from my perspective, in the post you just quoted.
Yeah but I think you have to look at it this way too. Anisimov and Dubinsky are on the ice for a combined 30-32 minutes a night. They give you 40 goals combined, Nash would play around 18 and give you 40 goals. So then whatever you get from the 3rd line is just a bonus theoretically.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

vCash: 500
Is there a thread in this forum where the discussion does not include Rick Nash?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Yeah but I think you have to look at it this way too. Anisimov and Dubinsky are on the ice for a combined 30-32 minutes a night. They give you 40 goals combined, Nash would play around 18 and give you 40 goals. So then whatever you get from the 3rd line is just a bonus theoretically.
Well, last year our team played it's best hockey when the offense was being spread around a little bit. I'm also concerned about changing that fundamental aspect of the team. There's a lot to talk about with a trade of this variety.

I still have a feeling we won't be giving up two roster forwards in the deal... and that's why the deal hasn't happened yet.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:34 PM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

vCash: 50
I think Halpern knocks Boyle to 4th line wing and Pyatt plays 3rd line. We'll what happens.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

By the way... Halpern is Jewish. I think 1 of 5 in the NHL.

Also went to Princeton, so he's pretty smart too.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
I think Halpern knocks Boyle to 4th line wing and Pyatt plays 3rd line. We'll what happens.
Boyle 4th line wing?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
By the way... Halpern is Jewish. I think 1 of 5 in the NHL.

Also went to Princeton, so he's pretty smart too.
I know Cammalleri is Jewish, as is Stephen Weiss. Those are the only two I know of, along with Halpern now that you mention it.

EDIT: Mike Brown and Eric Nystrom are Jewish as well. I guess that makes 5.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:51 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
But who fills those spots, is the issue.

Thats two big losses.

Granted you replace Dubinsky with Nash, who is an upgrade.

But who takes Anisimov's spot? Miller (i hope he's ready).
None otherthan Dominic Moore. He'd be perfect at 3rd line center with some offense.

Last edited by wafflepadsave: 07-09-2012 at 11:58 PM.
wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:04 AM
XLJ

I like Halpern, but I dont understand why Sather is collecting a bunch of 4th liners.

I hope Boyle and Pyatt dont end up on the third line.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I like Halpern, but I dont understand why Sather is collecting a bunch of 4th liners.

Well we did just lose a bunch of them.

Last edited by Affinity: 07-10-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
700 K for nearly 60% on faceoffs and solid penalty killing.

I like it.
Can't argue with that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

700K for intangibles? Suck on that Dru

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

maybe Miller is the new 3rd line center and Boyle gets dealt in the deal for Nash. one can hope

Nash Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Hagelin Miller Pyatt
Asham Halpern Rupp/Haley

Anisimov Dubinsky Boyle dealt in a deal for Nash and someone like Brassard

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:38 AM
nyr5186

For the record I really like the signing. Good defensive forward. Replaces Fedotenko in a way, but can also take big draws at the end of games to secure leads. Very underrated asset for a team that has struggles in the faceoff department.

It bothers me how Brian Boyle has become the latest whipping boy on this team. Ok. I understand he can have his struggles offensively. He scored 11 goals last year centering the 3rd line. Not enough. Whatever. But he contributes in so many other ways. He controls the puck well. Plays stellar defense. Blocks shots as well as anyone. Makes the right play with the puck most of the time. Good faceoff guy. His offense will even out. He scored 21 goals the year prior. It's reasonable to predict 15-20 goals next season, especially with better linemates. He has a good shot and when he's moving his feet and driving to the net he's hard to stop. With all the intangibles that he brings and the fact that Tortorella trusts him, would 18 goals 14 assists (a reasonable prediction) really be bad for a 3rd line center? Please name me other 3rd line centers that trump those stats. And don't say Jordan Staal.

I'm sorry. The Brian Boyle hate is a little bothersome. Barring a collapse or the emergence of several young kids who force themselves into top roles, Brian Boyle is our 3rd line center like it or not.

And yes, I like the Halpern signing.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
For the record I really like the signing. Good defensive forward. Replaces Fedotenko in a way, but can also take big draws at the end of games to secure leads. Very underrated asset for a team that has struggles in the faceoff department.

It bothers me how Brian Boyle has become the latest whipping boy on this team. Ok. I understand he can have his struggles offensively. He scored 11 goals last year centering the 3rd line. Not enough. Whatever. But he contributes in so many other ways. He controls the puck well. Plays stellar defense. Blocks shots as well as anyone. Makes the right play with the puck most of the time. Good faceoff guy. His offense will even out. He scored 21 goals the year prior. It's reasonable to predict 15-20 goals next season, especially with better linemates. He has a good shot and when he's moving his feet and driving to the net he's hard to stop. With all the intangibles that he brings and the fact that Tortorella trusts him, would 18 goals 14 assists (a reasonable prediction) really be bad for a 3rd line center? Please name me other 3rd line centers that trump those stats. And don't say Jordan Staal.

I'm sorry. The Brian Boyle hate is a little bothersome. Barring a collapse or the emergence of several young kids who force themselves into top roles, Brian Boyle is our 3rd line center like it or not.

A couple things:

1) He is terrible at controlling the puck. He has no hands, he can't pivot all that well. He is also a fairly terrible passer.

2)He is an excellent Pker for sure, but he is GOOD defensively 5v5. Certainly wouldn't put him as elite.

3)He often makes horrible plays with the puck that can single handedly kill cycles.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

maybe Miller is the new 3rd line center and Boyle gets dealt in the deal for Nash. one can hope

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Affinity

Quote:

He's not a whipping boy, people aren't blaming anything on him. Most people would just prefer to have him in a 4th line center role and not have him out on the ice at the end of the 3rd period when we need a goal. It's not Brian Boyle that people don't like it's Tort's over-usage of him.

He doesn't have to be our third line center, Anisimov is very good at that role and when Dubinsky is on his line he takes the faceoffs for him. People are always complaining about Artie being bad at faceoffs well there's the answer. Dubi plays better as a LW anyway. They compliment each other very well. Personally, this is why I'm against trading them for Nash.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:57 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
A couple things:

1) He is terrible at controlling the puck. He has no hands, he can't pivot all that well. He is also a fairly terrible passer.

2)He is an excellent Pker for sure, but he is GOOD defensively 5v5. Certainly wouldn't put him as elite.

3)He often makes horrible plays with the puck that can single handedly kill cycles.
Someone with no hands doesn't score 21 goals in the NHL.

He was snakebitten for much of last season.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Someone with no hands doesn't score 21 goals in the NHL.

He was snakebitten for much of last season.
Or he had career year and will never repeat it. Most of those goals were him streaking to the net, putting the puck on his back hand and lifiting it top shelf.

He tried that nonsense a bunch of times this season, didn't work.

I am willing to bet he never hits twenty again in his career.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Nice, he's Jewish. Who was the last Jew on the Rangers? Mathieu Schneider?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Nice, he's Jewish. Who was the last Jew on the Rangers? Mathieu Schneider?
I think so. Although I don't know how the whole sitting out for Yom Kippur will work with Torts.

Personally, I would love to see one of our players be a practicing Rasta and put Jobo in the locker room.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Looking at the wiki page, apparently Ethan Werek is also Jewish.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Looking at the wiki page, apparently Ethan Werek is also Jewish.
He never played here, so it doesn't count. I thought he got traded to the yotes?

Old
07-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
I think so. Although I don't know how the whole sitting out for Yom Kippur will work with Torts.

Personally, I would love to see one of our players be a practicing Rasta and put Jobo in the locker room.
Good thing Yom Kippur is in September. I doubt Torts would even mind if it was during the regular season.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Quote:
He never played here, so it doesn't count. I thought he got traded to the yotes?
Yeah, he did. I'm just saying that I didn't know he was Jewish.