HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo - Edmonton and Buffalo - New York Islanders

Old
07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Koto

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Leopold is a 2nd pairing dman, little question. He's not a high end 2nd pairing, but he's not out of place there either.

Adam has top 6 upside, it would be hard to argue otherwise given his results thusfar in pro hockey. Paajarvi i think has the higher ceiling no question, but Adam can play in the middle and may be a bit more physical.

There's a chance he isn't on the opening roster, but saying he won't be is more than a little premature. First off he has a one way contract, and secondly injuries happen so even if he doesn't make the team out of camp he should see time with the big club assuming he isn't picked up on waivers. He clearly has a chance to come in and compete for a spot.

Whitney will almost certainly recive PP time over Leopold, as well Schultz. And don't discount the possibility of a forward back there, with the group we have it's a very real possibility. Petry is obviously going to contend for a spot on the PP as well. Leopold would get minutes there, but it would be in a depth role.

I agree Lander on the 4th is bad action, but finding a 4th line center isn't the toughest thing in the world to do. VandeVelde looks alright in the role, but really he shouldn't be counted on in it. Just doesn't bring enough offense to be an NHLer IMO.

Teams trade good players, that kind of thinking is weak. If they like Paajarvi and Belanger that's the incentive....
On Potter: Right now he's at best our 7th Dman, i would place him behind Peckham because im more interested in retaining that asset. If injuries happen spots open up for everyone, including leopold.

I don't know why Whitney is a lock to play above Leopold if that is Leo's skillset. They would be in competition for it.

I do expect both PP units to run with 4 forwards each. (Rovers/Forward at Point would be 1.Eberle 2.Yakupov)

One RHD (Schultz/Petry...injuries: Potter) will play unit one with RNH, One LHD (Whitney/Leopold) will play unit two with Hemsky/Gagner.

All that being said, if the comments you make on the competency of Leopold and Adam are true, i think we need to make this deal.

Adam would replace Belanger (and maybe push Horcoff down a notch ) and hopefully at some point in the future overtake Gagner as a 2C with size. Leopold would be a good add if he is indeed a 3-4D.

I still like MPS a lot, i think he can still be a great 2 liner, 50ish points with great D, but we have a lot of wingers and Adam could be a nice fit long term.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
MayDayMayDay

Weber's going nowhere b/c of Ott, and because he's gritty enough that I'm sure Darcy considers him valuable to this new aura of toughness he's trying to instill in the team culture and persona.

Adam just puzzles me. I really wanna see him get another shot next year, perhaps playing w/ Vanek b/c I felt like the two of them might have had some chemistry developing. But, if they were considering him a trade-able asset (and I'm sure Darcy is), any deal involving him would have to be him in a package for an upgrade.

I feel like Buffalo would be content just bringing in a guy like Jason Arnott to contribute what either Belanger or Reasoner would.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
is there a reason for adams major drop off in AHL scoring pace

57GP 62P 10-11
27GP 13P 11-12

appears to have been healthy playing the rest of each season in the NHL
He actually got DEMOTED to the AHL a little over halfway through last season. Amerks fans reported that Adam looked really dejected/disappointed at having been sent back down and basically mailed in the rest of the season.

Apparently he showed up to Rookie Development Camp (started today) pretty motivated and was a man amongst boys (literally)

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:36 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
Weber's going nowhere b/c of Ott, and because he's gritty enough that I'm sure Darcy considers him valuable to this new aura of toughness he's trying to instill in the team culture and persona.

Adam just puzzles me. I really wanna see him get another shot next year, perhaps playing w/ Vanek b/c I felt like the two of them might have had some chemistry developing. But, if they were considering him a trade-able asset (and I'm sure Darcy is), any deal involving him would have to be him in a package for an upgrade.

I feel like Buffalo would be content just bringing in a guy like Jason Arnott to contribute what either Belanger or Reasoner would.
I agree. Weber will stay b/c of his connection to Ott and his tough style. He might only be the 7D this year but afterward he will have a good chance at the 5/6 spots (Regehr and Leopold contracts expire).

And yea, for all we know Adam might bounce back as quickly as he dropped off last year. He's looking great in camp and was playing on the 1st line last year for petes sake. He could be the 3C.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:37 PM
ponokanocker

Edmonton fans defending Belanger? This is strange. I think what Belanger brings is solid for Edmonton, which is why I don't think he would be moved unless the rumors are true that he had a bad attitude this last year. I think the value is there for Edmonton, but I'd rather not make the deal.

I'd prefer PRV over Adam. I don't think PRV has 70 point potential, more like 50, but he brings a lot of speed and size. He is still a little thin, but is very young, so can add the weight. In his last call up, he used his frame very well and you got a glipse of what is to come.

Leopold is a solid D, but what Edmonton really needs is another solid stay at home D. They have Petry, Whitney and Schultz as solid PMD, but only Smid and the other Schultz as stay at home guys. They tried to rely on Sutton and Peckham for that role last year, and it wasn't great. Their real need is someone like Regehr, unless he has simply regressed too far.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Edmonton fans defending Belanger? This is strange. I think what Belanger brings is solid for Edmonton, which is why I don't think he would be moved unless the rumors are true that he had a bad attitude this last year. I think the value is there for Edmonton, but I'd rather not make the deal.

I'd prefer PRV over Adam. I don't think PRV has 70 point potential, more like 50, but he brings a lot of speed and size. He is still a little thin, but is very young, so can add the weight. In his last call up, he used his frame very well and you got a glipse of what is to come.

Leopold is a solid D, but what Edmonton really needs is another solid stay at home D. They have Petry, Whitney and Schultz as solid PMD, but only Smid and the other Schultz as stay at home guys. They tried to rely on Sutton and Peckham for that role last year, and it wasn't great. Their real need is someone like Regehr, unless he has simply regressed too far.
Regehr is just unlikely to be moved. It took a lot to get him to waive his NTC to come to Buffalo last year, and, even if Buffalo wanted to move him, I doubt he'd waive again so soon.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Regehr is just unlikely to be moved. It took a lot to get him to waive his NTC to come to Buffalo last year, and, even if Buffalo wanted to move him, I doubt he'd waive again so soon.
Yah, Regehr is more of a dream for a short term fix on the blueline for Edmonton. I didn't mean to insinuate that Edmonton could actually get him.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:16 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Overall, very happy with your responses guys.

As for Adam, he should have top 6 upside. In the views of most Sabres fans, it's top 6 or bust for him. We tried him in a bottom 6 role and he just doesn't fit there. He needs to be in a scoring role. To start last season off, he was our 1st line center in between Vanek and Pominville and went at about a PPG pace through the first ~20 games. For whatever reason, his production was non-existent afterward, and he was dropped down the lineup and eventually demoted to Rochester. However, this is a guy who held his own on the 1st line playing with good players and managed to put up the points. All three players on that line were at a PPG pace at that time IIRC. Adam has size and has a good shot. His skating is what needs work and he isn't overly physical. Truthfully, some fans don't believe he will ever be able to be an NHL center and is more suited for wing in this league. I also heard he wasn't even playing center in Rochester upon being demoted last year. I heard his confidence was given a major blow upon being demoted, thus his play suffered drastically when he went back down and he wasn't able to hold a center role even in the minors. At worst, we feel he has top 6 LW upside. Again though, he played center for a good amount of time in the NHL already and when he was in the top 6, produced pretty well. He's a hard player to figure out. He's still one of our top prospects but with Grigorenko and Girgensons, his future in Buffalo is in question. He's already being passed by Ennis and Hodgson and Grigs and Girgs aren't far behind.

As for Leo, another thing he is very good for is eating minutes. He's a top 4 guy, good puck-mover, will help a PP out a lot and is good for at least 25-30 points a year. He can eat some nice minutes though too. Very capable of sound play in his own zone, not just an offensive guy. I'd probably do the suggested Belanger-for-Leopold swap.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:34 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

The Oilers get bent over with this proposal, doesn't help the team at all. Leopold would help most teams D, but he's not the RHD stay at home D the Oilers need. Adams looks good, but he could still be a couple of years away and like someone said he's more suited to the wing, and that's that last thing the Oilers need is another LW.

I cannot see why giving up on MPS for this package, especially when Leopold is UFA next year.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:35 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
dont need any of those guys though.

what do you want for stafford

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:19 AM
HiddenInLight

....not sure I understand some thinking in this thread.....making proposals for bottom line players here yet people are asking for top sixers....

Anyways....As for Adam it is really hard to read where he is at right now. He played pretty well for the sabres the first half of the year, in the offensive zone, though he is still learning the defensive responsibilities of an NHL center....then Lindy Ruff took his confidence, curbstomped it, doused it in gasoline and lit it on fire. That's why he did nothing at the AHL level after he was demoted. I'm interested on how he comes back after a whole summer to clear his head. From most accounts he looked great at rookie camp, so hopefully he keeps ot up.

I would do either deal here, but I'm not sure about weber getting traded as they just aquired a guy that is basically his brother....Sabres do a family road trip every season....weber took Otts mother. That should show how close they are.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Andrej Shakira

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
The Oilers get bent over with this proposal, doesn't help the team at all. Leopold would help most teams D, but he's not the RHD stay at home D the Oilers need. Adams looks good, but he could still be a couple of years away and like someone said he's more suited to the wing, and that's that last thing the Oilers need is another LW.

I cannot see why giving up on MPS for this package, especially when Leopold is UFA next year.
That is fine who would you want for just Belanger then?

Andrej Shakira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
I don't know of an Isles fan that won't make that trade.
Seriously... all I had to see was Reasoner, and that we weren't getting AIDS in return.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneygoalie31 View Post
Make the oiler trade Foligno instead of Adam and Im in
Not even remotely close.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
dont need any of those guys though.

what do you want for stafford
I don't think there's a package that works from the Oilers for Stafford.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej Shakira View Post
That is fine who would you want for just Belanger then?
Would rather keep Belanger, you can have Horcoff though.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote