HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Early Predictions

Old
07-10-2012, 01:31 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I think if they stay healthy and play as hard as they did at the end of the season for most of the season they will be a playoff team. Improved defense. Added a little scoring in Pouliot and Brown. Connolly should be better this year with a full offseason to train and learn from his rookie season. Lindback cant be worse than what we had. He sounds like he can play the part. I think if he turns out good we will definitely make the playoffs. Once your there anything can happen of course
Well that's what's most important! He sounds like he can do, I'm sure we have the next great goalie!

Predictions? Missing the playoffs. 9th or 10th seed. It takes time for lineup changes to mesh well together. I think that has been part of our past problem, the injuries force younger guys and changes the dynamic of the team.

I believe in a static lineup as much as possible, and with some new blood in there, if the team can stay healthy, we have a better chance going into next year.

I'm not going to elaborate and have stated again, I'm not sold on our goalie situation. Not that Tokarski would have made that different either. If we had someone like Luongo or Vokoun or Theodore or JS Giguere, I'd have something to go off of. I know they are weren't available nor was it realistic to get them, just some names that were able to get and others that came to mind. Any young guy can have a breakout year in goal, but it's more a shot in the dark, you hopefully have more predictability with a vet.

Hopefully the team fits well together and plays well with the younger guys playing off the vets, and I'll alter my prediction. I will say we need Vinny and Malone healthy to make moves upwards, I feel strongly about that.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:34 AM
BoltSTH

Last season we were 8 points out of the playoffs, 10 for the division

If we get:
- a modest 0.91% from the goalies which should happen with improved goalies and upgraded defense
- our transition is even a little better which should be there with Carle, a more experienced Hedman, D not playing more minutes than they should
- our power play is just league average which should happen with Salo added

it should translate to an average +1 goal difference per game which gets you that 8 points (plus you are taking them away from opponents). Anything above those modest expectations and we may get the division and 3rd seed.

Of course you can be a pessimist and expect Salo to miss 40 games, Hedman gets concussed and goes LTIR, Lindback is a bust, Carle is awful, and the coach loses the team, but I am not one of those.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:35 AM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Last season we were 8 points out of the playoffs, 10 for the division

If we get:
- a modest 0.91% from the goalies which should happen with improved goalies and upgraded defense
- our transition is even a little better which should be there with Carle, a more experienced Hedman, D not playing more minutes than they should
- our power play is just league average which should happen with Salo added

it should translate to an average +1 goal difference per game which gets you that 8 points (plus you are taking them away from opponents). Anything above those modest expectations and we may get the division and 3rd seed.

Of course you can be a pessimist and expect Salo to miss 40 games, Hedman gets concussed and goes LTIR, Lindback is a bust, Carle is awful, and the coach loses the team, but I am not one of those.
Unfortunately everything you mentioned above sounds plausible

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I think even if you take away one of those... say our PP is still brutal, but Lindback can run a .915 for the year and Garon somewhere around .905-.910 we're still in business.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
Unfortunately everything you mentioned above sounds plausible
And I thought I was a pessimist. Damn son, think happy thoughts!

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Bolto
?

I think we're a playoff team with an excellent shot at winning the southeast. Once we're in the playoffs anything can happen........................

Bolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Cigar City

7th, 8th, or 9th. I see this team getting bounced in the first round if we make it in as the 7th or 8th. This team just doesn't look good enough, but hopefully they prove me wrong!

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
7th, 8th, or 9th. I see this team getting bounced in the first round if we make it in as the 7th or 8th. This team just doesn't look good enough, but hopefully they prove me wrong!
It looks better to me than the one we started with a couple of years ago (eastern conference final team). If the goaltending question gets answered like that roster did, then we could be a tough team to beat.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
BoltingAway

I like the look of this team. I think we take the division, and like others have said, anything can happen in the playoffs. We have a good enough group that we can do some damage if we get on a roll.

BoltingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I think this team looks as good, if not better than 10/11. Connolly and Hedman are a year older, and will hopefully grow, and as far as just pure offensive talent goes, I would stack the talent of our forwards against any other team in the league. Our D will be improved, as will our goaltending. We're not suddenly turning into the DPE Devils with our D changes, but they'll be a solid, middle of the pack D, with solid, middle of the pack goaltending, and with top-flight scoring. Anywhere from 2-7th is my expectation, with ~100 points and a chance for a good run in the playoffs.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Connolly will more than likely be in Syracuse.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Connolly will more than likely be in Syracuse.
You think? I heard hes been working out with Stamkos this summer. It seems like a lot of players who have gone to work out with Roberts have had a great year following. Neal from Pittsburgh did it last year and scored 40 goals. Im not saying Connolly will do that but he could come back with a NHL ready body and ready to compete at this level.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
25% chance to win SE
65% chance to reach playoffs
2% chance to win the cup

07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
You think? I heard hes been working out with Stamkos this summer. It seems like a lot of players who have gone to work out with Roberts have had a great year following. Neal from Pittsburgh did it last year and scored 40 goals. Im not saying Connolly will do that but he could come back with a NHL ready body and ready to compete at this level.
Not just the physical conditoning either. You don't put yourself through that kind of training unless you're mentally ready to step it up and put it all on the ice. Not to say it's going to work on everybody, but it does show that he's willing to put in the effort to get better. It's more than just a workout regimen, it is literally a lifestyle change with the dietary and nutritional aspects added in.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Not just the physical conditoning either. You don't put yourself through that kind of training unless you're mentally ready to step it up and put it all on the ice. Not to say it's going to work on everybody, but it does show that he's willing to put in the effort to get better. It's more than just a workout regimen, it is literally a lifestyle change with the dietary and nutritional aspects added in.
This is what I think too.

Let's see what Connolly does in the pre-season. That will be what makes him or breaks him to make the roster.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
Mark Barberio surprises everyone, makes the Lightning out of camp, and has a huge rookie season.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:53 AM
CC321

What the Winnipegians think is going to happen in the Southeast this year.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1239185

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:57 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post

I honestly think people are underrating us.

And many still have the Capitals finish on top of the division despite losing their #1 D (Wideman lead them in points and TOI/G), a veteran goalie and Semin. Ribeiro gives them more depth at center but that's all they did in the improvements section, IMO.

The Canes got better up front (but lost Sutter), Jets got Jokinen and Pony, Florida got Mueller and Parros and exchanged Garrison with Kuba... none of these moves puts any of those teams clearly on top, though. It's gonna be a close race.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post

Some of it has some basis in reality. We really don't know how well Lindback will do, nor am I still completely sold on Carle and Salo. Although those of us that watch every Lightning game know that it's an improvement in both goal and D, it remains to be seen how much of one.

As far as Boucher's system and the infamous 1-3-1, well they are simply parroting what they've been told by the TSN sock puppets and what they saw in 1 game. I wish every other coach in the division fell for the "they only play the 1-3-1 and never forecheck" baloney like the fans do.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:18 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Not sure why you guys are going to the WPG board for insight.

I enjoyed reading it though. Carle sucks, Salo is too old, and we're thin on forwards besides Stamkos and St. Louis. What?

Old
08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Meh, homers gonna homer.

They just got their hockey team last year, what would those noobs know anyways?

SE is gonna be a toss up.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:36 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Not sure why you guys are going to the WPG board for insight.

I enjoyed reading it though. Carle sucks, Salo is too old, and we're thin on forwards besides Stamkos and St. Louis. What?
People all over HF have us at #4 or #5 in the SE and I find it funny. It screams 2010-11 all over again.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:01 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
People all over HF have us at #4 or #5 in the SE and I find it funny. It screams 2010-11 all over again.
Let them underestimate Tampa. More tears to sustain us then.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

At least the Thrashers fans were objective. That's some serious homering going on over there though.

No one improved as much as Carolina though. Winnipeg is going to be... Winnipeg. Just an average team. They didn't really make any moves nor did they really lose much. Washington is going to take a fall I think.. miserable offseason for them.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
At least the Thrashers fans were objective. That's some serious homering going on over there though.

No one improved as much as Carolina though. Winnipeg is going to be... Winnipeg. Just an average team. They didn't really make any moves nor did they really lose much. Washington is going to take a fall I think.. miserable offseason for them.
If Washington plays an offensive style AND they give Ovechkin freedom to do what hell he wants on the ice with decent linemates he alone will get them to the playoffs. The Capitals are my the dark horse in the race for the EC title, they will easily take our devision.
Tampa will be around 5-8, same with Carolina - those 2 + the Caps will make the playoffs from our devision.

1 Washington
2 Tampa
3 Carolina
4 Florida
5 Winnipeg

Last edited by HedMonster 77: 08-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.
HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote