HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-09-2012, 05:06 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
with so many teams in the Parise/Suter sweepstake, and now lining up to chase Nash/Semin (and no dmen left on the market to pursue), I do think that over the next few weeks there will be some GM's who look at their roster/cap space, and view Kaberle/Bourque as adequate low cost (in terms of acquiring and comparative cap hits to the guys they were initially making room for) alternatives.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there will be a window of opporunity.

Quote:
Bourque, in theory gives us an asset that we both need and lack depth (top-6/9 scoring winger), but with how he played the last ~18months (it's a mistake to think he was just bad once he got to MTL, he had a terrible start to the year, which came after a very up/down 2010-11), in practice he's barely an everyday NHL-caliber top-9 player.
Palushaj, Leblanc, and Gallgagher should all challenge him for a roster spot this fall. We have 2 holes in our top-9, wouldn't be surprised in the least if 2 young players beat him out for that job.
Except Palushaj, Leblanc and Gallagher are all under-sized right wingers while Bourque is a big LW. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Leblanc on the wing with Eller and Moen. I don't see how Palushaj fits in and Gallagher needs to be evaluated at the pro level.

I would prefer to give Bourque one last chance to see if he can put his physical abilities to work and concentrate on adding some muscle to the defense.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe there will be a window of opporunity.

Except Palushaj, Leblanc and Gallagher are all under-sized right wingers while Bourque is a big LW. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Leblanc on the wing with Eller and Moen. I don't see how Palushaj fits in and Gallagher needs to be evaluated at the pro level.

I would prefer to give Bourque one last chance to see if he can put his physical abilities to work and concentrate on adding some muscle to the defense.
Cole and MaxPac both shoot L, so if things work out well in camp, I see them split.

That leaves us with:

MaxPac - DD - ???
Cole - Pleks - ???
??? - Eller - ???

Bourque, Moen & Geoffrion shoot L
Armstrong, Palushaj, Leblanc, Gallagher Shoot R

Ideally Bourque does assert himself in camp as a clear cut top-9 player for us, leaving Moen, Armstrong & the young guys to battle it out for the 3 spots on the RW (or if Cole stays put on the R, then we'd need one of those reaming players to slot in as a LW).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Cole and MaxPac both shoot L, so if things work out well in camp, I see them split.

That leaves us with:

MaxPac - DD - ???
Cole - Pleks - ???
??? - Eller - ???

Ideally Bourque does assert himself in camp as a clear cut top-9 player for us, leaving Moen, Armstrong & the young guys to battle it out for the 3 spots on the RW (or if Cole stays put on the R, then we'd need one of those reaming players to slot in as a LW).
You could be right. That would pretty much flesh out the roster as:

MaxPac - DD - ???
Cole - Plekanec - ???
Bourque/Moen - Eller - ???

... but since that still leaves no place for Prust on his natural side, either he's switching, someone else is switching (Moen?), or someone is leaving.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You could be right. That would pretty much flesh out the roster as:

MaxPac - DD - ???
Cole - Plekanec - ???
Bourque/Moen - Eller - ???

... but since that still leaves no place for Prust on his natural side, either he's switching, someone else is switching (Moen?), or someone is leaving.
is Prust going to earn a top-9 role?

were there any comments around his signing by him/team that indicated he'd been promised a bigger role than he had in NY?

I know his cap hit suggests that possibility, but I'm thinking that between Prust-Moen-Armstrong-White-Nokelainen, the habs plan is to have a dedicated 4th line that plays relatively consistent minutes (as opposed to the cobbled together/D's as fwds 4th line the previous leadership used).

Prust-Noke-White, Prust - White- Armstrong, Prust-Noke-Armstrong... I imagine that opening day this is what we'll see from the 4th line, with Prust being used in PK minutes, and all 4 getting opportunities to move up when injuries/poor play create openings.

I think Armstrong will/should be able to lock down that 3rd line RW role (assuming he's healthy), Gionta's a likely lock on Pleks wing, leaving an opening on DD's line. I suppose Therrien could try Prust there, though I think it would be somewhat disapointing if none of Leblanc/Palushaj/Gallagher/Geoffrion are able to show enough in camp to put themselves ahead on the depth chart in that role.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:11 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

were there any comments around his signing by him/team that indicated he'd been promised a bigger role than he had in NY?

I know his cap hit suggests that possibility, but I'm thinking that between Prust-Moen-Armstrong-White-Nokelainen, the habs plan is to have a dedicated 4th line that plays relatively consistent minutes (as opposed to the cobbled together/D's as fwds 4th line the previous leadership used).

Prust-Noke-White, Prust - White- Armstrong, Prust-Noke-Armstrong... I imagine that opening day this is what we'll see from the 4th line, with Prust being used in PK minutes, and all 4 getting opportunities to move up when injuries/poor play create openings.

I think Armstrong will/should be able to lock down that 3rd line RW role (assuming he's healthy), Gionta's a likely lock on Pleks wing, leaving an opening on DD's line. I suppose Therrien could try Prust there, though I think it would be somewhat disapointing if none of Leblanc/Palushaj/Gallagher/Geoffrion are able to show enough in camp to put themselves ahead on the depth chart in that role.
He might be a part of a Moen-Eller-Prust shutdown 3rd line potentially, but I doubt he's getting top 6 minutes unless we're very severely decimated by injuries. But yes, he could be a part of the top 9 in the aforementioned shutdown line.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:18 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

In the last 4 seasons Bourque has potted 93 goals. He's big, pretty fast and can hit.

Lets give the guy a chance on a team that isn't a complete mess, before we determine he's not even a top 9 calibre guy.

I say put him with Desharnais and Cole. I say Cole because he apparently prefers the right side.

Now that is your 2nd line, and it's flanking Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta.

3rd line: Moen-Eller-Palushaj/Armstrong
4th line: Prust-Noekeleinen-White

I think Palushaj is going to play his way into top 9 minutes, I might even have him too low there.

The Habs have 1 too many NHL calibre forwards and they lack a solid centerman on that 4th line as well.

I continue to presume there will be at least one drastic move by the Habs before the season starts. I can't see Bergevin icing last years line up with Prust and Bouillon added to it...although in all honesty if that team got lucky and was somewhat healthy they might just surprise everyone but me and dominate next year.

So maybe he sees that too... I sure as hell don't buy this whole discussion about how the Habs would rather opt to not do moves, because they want a high pick.

Complete falsehood. Complete. The Habs number 1 goal next year is to win the cup. It's also their only goal.

Just becuase the UFA line up is awful and the Habs don't want to be trading their valued assets doesn't mean that Bergevin has decided to 'hope' for a top 10 pick next year.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Not a Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
If we give Gomez one last chance (4th one), then I suppose you will want us to give both BOURQUE and KABERLE one last chance too. lol
Yes, yes, and yes. 2012 is not the year in which we become cup contenders. If all goes well one or two of the guys you mentioned will find their game and we then trade them for picks or prospects. The way I see it, MB has nothing to lose by playing Gomez. He inherited the guy, and his contract, from his predecessors. If he plays like last year nobody will blame him. If he plays better, MB will look like a genius because then he can actually get something for the guy.

Not a Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:34 AM
baldrick

Quote:

That leaves us with:

MaxPac - DD - ???
Cole - Pleks - ???
??? - Eller - ???

So you expect Geoffrion,Palushaj,Leblanc,Gallagher to play on the top 9 instead of Gomez and Gionta?

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Between MaxPac, Cole, Bourque, and Moen, I think I listed 4 LH shots. Or do NHL teams rock with 5 lines now?

But the point was more that there's no room on the left for Prust (who has always played LW to my knowledge), unless someone gets moved over to the right (in this scenario where Cole is moved to Plek's left side). And we know he's going to be somewhere in the lineup for sure.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Chris G

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
So you expect Geoffrion,Palushaj,Leblanc,Gallagher to play on the top 9 instead of Gomez and Gionta?
**** Gomez! He's worthless, hopefully there will be that window we can try and get rid of him in.

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

In an ideal world Armstrong would play 3rd line with Eller and Bourque and Moen and Prust would form a great defensive/energy/physical 4th line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Between MaxPac, Cole, Bourque, and Moen, I think I listed 4 LH shots. Or do NHL teams rock with 5 lines now?

But the point was more that there's no room on the left for Prust (who has always played LW to my knowledge), unless someone gets moved over to the right (in this scenario where Cole is moved to Plek's left side). And we know he's going to be somewhere in the lineup for sure.
Don't Cole and Bourque prefer playing right wing?

You guys seem determined to break up the MaxPac/DD/Cole line but I'd rather not.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
In the last 4 seasons Bourque has potted 93 goals. He's big, pretty fast and can hit.

Lets give the guy a chance on a team that isn't a complete mess, before we determine he's not even a top 9 calibre guy.

I say put him with Desharnais and Cole. I say Cole because he apparently prefers the right side.

Now that is your 2nd line, and it's flanking Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta.

3rd line: Moen-Eller-Palushaj/Armstrong
4th line: Prust-Noekeleinen-White

I think Palushaj is going to play his way into top 9 minutes, I might even have him too low there.

The Habs have 1 too many NHL calibre forwards and they lack a solid centerman on that 4th line as well.

I continue to presume there will be at least one drastic move by the Habs before the season starts. I can't see Bergevin icing last years line up with Prust and Bouillon added to it...although in all honesty if that team got lucky and was somewhat healthy they might just surprise everyone but me and dominate next year.

So maybe he sees that too... I sure as hell don't buy this whole discussion about how the Habs would rather opt to not do moves, because they want a high pick.

Complete falsehood. Complete. The Habs number 1 goal next year is to win the cup. It's also their only goal.

Just becuase the UFA line up is awful and the Habs don't want to be trading their valued assets doesn't mean that Bergevin has decided to 'hope' for a top 10 pick next year.
goal of every team, every year, is to win the cup... question is how to go about it. Bergie appears confident in following his own plan, as opposed to making desperate moves, i applaud that approach. I don't think he's aiming for a top-10 pick, but I also think he'd take that while sticking to his plan as opposed to making Gomez/Kaberle type desperation moves vainly trying to fix holes regardless of the "cost".

a healthy habs team, with quality coaching & natural progression of young players (Price, Subban, MaxPac, Eller, DD are all poised to be better this year, Emelin, Diaz, Weber, Leblanc to a lesser degree), could easily be a playoff team, and with 2008-like luck, end up with a top-4 spot.

Bourque was bad long before he got to montreal, you can't blame his regressing play/performance since signing his long-term extension on the habs situation. He's a guy who battles with consistency/motivation, when things are going great, he's effective, but when they aren't, he's a borderline 3rd liner at best.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
shutehinside

I thought last year was his redemption year. 2 goals and $7.37M later we're supposed to give him another chance? **** him. He can find his game in Hamilton.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
yianik

I have seen it argued that if we are under the Cap anyway, there is no reason to send Gomez down as his salary isnt then preventing us from signing anybody. Personally Im thinking Molson is focused on his money and decisions are being made on that basis. At the very least Gomez is holding a roster spot and Id rather that spot be filled by somebody who can help Eller produce offensively either directly ( on Ellers line ) or indirectly ( winger takes a 2nd line spot so Bourque or Gio drop to Ellers line ). Im as excited as anyone having Gally, but we cant forget about Eller and we need to give this boy every chance to succeed and see if he can become a top 6 center.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Habaddict

Quote:

I was under the impression that Cole played only right wing. The exception
maybe, was in Edmonton.And there he strugled on the left side.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Don't Cole and Bourque prefer playing right wing?

You guys seem determined to break up the MaxPac/DD/Cole line but I'd rather not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
I was under the impression that Cole played only right wing. The exception
maybe, was in Edmonton.And there he strugled on the left side.
After multiple replies to my post along these lines, I should explain that putting Cole on the left side was someone else's idea, and we were just running with it there and looking at how it would affect the depth chart and line building situations.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
After multiple replies to my post along these lines, I should explain that putting Cole on the left side was someone else's idea, and we were just running with it there and looking at how it would affect the depth chart and line building situations.
Are you trying to make me spell "hypothetical". That was scary!

Old
07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Habaddict

Hey this hypothetical stuff can be fun. If we can't find a top 6 winger to play
with Plenc and Gionta, let's try Kaberle in that spot. He has good puck skills, can
still skate, and his weakness deep in our zone would be irrelevent.
Even if it doesn't work out, it may have an upside. After a few games at
forward, he may be inspired to remember how to play defense.

And if we remember the compaints about coachs using Striet, Bergeron, and
Weber as forwards, imagine Kaberle on the first line. HF boards should be a lot of fun.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:30 PM
teh doors
worst habs poster

Quote:
with Plenc and Gionta, let's try Kaberle in that spot. He has good puck skills, can

Weber as forwards, imagine Kaberle on the first line. HF boards should be a lot of fun.
Mr. Carbonneau, welcome to HF Boards.

teh doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:

That would put the playing like a little girl expression in perspective

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Mr. Carbonneau, welcome to HF Boards.
Opps, did you recognize my lucky tie. I don't want to have to change it.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:35 PM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
Our avatars for next year should be the Scott Gomez 3: The Redemptioning.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
sheed36

I watched game 6 of the Habs/Caps series from 2010 the other night and watching game 7 right now on the NHL network and Gomez actually looks like a useful NHL player.. Made a nice pass for the MAB PP goal in the 1st..

If you are brought back next year please go back to #91 Gomez..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:05 AM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I watched game 6 of the Habs/Caps series from 2010 the other night and watching game 7 right now on the NHL network and Gomez actually looks like a useful NHL player.. Made a nice pass for the MAB PP goal in the 1st..

If you are brought back next year please go back to #91 Gomez..
I've been watching that series too because it brings back such good memories. I wonder if he'd realize he's cursed by #11 and switch back.. He might hit 50 points again then.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote