HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks courting Doan

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Le Rosbeef

vCash: 500
Some of the criticism of Doan being 'past it' is embarrassing.

I appreciate there's a term and price consideration that needs to be right for the Sharks to sign him but simply saying you dont want him regardless is absurd. He has plenty left to offer, which is why a bunch of teams are trying to sign him. Just because he's not your cup of tea doesn't mean he's not a good hockey player.

Adding Doan, as someone else already pointed out, might be smart as it could make one of our other top 6 forwards available to trade elsewhere. Adding by free agency is a way of boosting your asset base and yes - it comes at a premium in terms of the overpayment - but with the cap jumping up, now's the time to do it... Standing still will be the end of the Sharks this year, they need to try something bold, risky to win this cup.

Doan should be a massive priority if we can get him. His leadership and grit alone would make him one of our most important players instantly. I hope for the sake of those moaning about him, we don't see him wind up playing next to the Sedin's and tearing the Sharks to shreds in next year's playoffs...

FYI: Some of Doan's "past it" last year rankings as they would have been on the Sharks:

Goals: 4th (22)
Hits: 1st (205) ... that's 68 hits more than anyone else on our team last year (Our top? McGinn with 137) and that's only just about 15-20 hits fewer than Marleau, Thornton, Couture, Havlat and Pavelski gave us COMBINED last season.
GWGs: 2nd (5 - behind only to Marleau with 8)
SOG: 4th amongst forwards (226)

Obviously he had more goals, assists etc in the playoffs... but very telling? 79 hits in 16 playoff games. The Sharks had 136 in 5 games for the entire team (90 games played between the Sharks players in the first round.)

You talk about heart? This guy would so far in 1st on this hockey club he'd make Dan Boyle look like Patrick Marleau...

Last edited by Le Rosbeef: 07-10-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old
07-10-2012, 07:31 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Some of the criticism of Doan being 'past it' is embarrassing.
So the fact that his goals per game the last 3 years are his lowest in the last 10 years isn't correct? Clowe has 1 fewer point and double the PIMS as Doan the last three years. Would you offer Clowe $5 million a year?

07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
So the fact that his goals per game the last 3 years are his lowest in the last 10 years isn't correct? Clowe has 1 fewer point and double the PIMS as Doan the last three years. Would you offer Clowe $5 million a year?
Well, whether you want to offer it or not, Clowe is going to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million on the open market.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Well, whether you want to offer it or not, Clowe is going to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million on the open market.
I think that depends on how this year ends up for him. But Clowe is only 29 as well, which would make me less uncomfortable offering him a 5M/year deal.

That being said, I doubt DW offers that much to him anyway which is why I am really hoping we can trade him for the speedy top-6 winger we need. If we do land Doan I would be ok trading him for prospects/picks as well.

07-10-2012, 08:33 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
This is part of my point. If the Sharks sign Doan for $5 million, then next year Clowe will get that at least that as well. Given the rest of the salary obligations moving forward, is that something the Sharks would do? Vlasic would also be a UFA after next year as well. They would only have about $20 million to spend and only 12 players signed.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
hockeyball

The one thing I would like about Doan on the Sharks is he would bring what Jeremy Roenick brought in his short time here. That being a raging fire to win a cup. Roenick wanted it so bad he tried to will this team to a cup, I'm pretty sure Doan would do the same thing. Everyone wants to win, but I've never seen anyone with that kind of passion, desperation even, to do so since Roenick. Boyle is certainly a fighter, but he's got a cup and it's just not quite the same thing.

In fact, that is why Roenick is one of my favorite Sharks of all time. The guys heart was so damn big and he played every shift like it was his last.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The one thing I would like about Doan on the Sharks is he would bring what Jeremy Roenick brought in his short time here. That being a raging fire to win a cup. Roenick wanted it so bad he tried to will this team to a cup, I'm pretty sure Doan would do the same thing. Everyone wants to win, but I've never seen anyone with that kind of passion, desperation even, to do so since Roenick. Boyle is certainly a fighter, but he's got a cup and it's just not quite the same thing.

In fact, that is why Roenick is one of my favorite Sharks of all time. The guys heart was so damn big and he played every shift like it was his last.
But we did not win a cup with Roenick. I am not going to say that determination and heart does not mean anything but what we are lacking is speed. Doan does not bring that to us.

He would be a great addition on top of a say a Nash/Semin/Grabner to put our team over the top. But by himself .. I dont know. I still want him .. but I am not expecting miracles.

Last edited by Fistfullofbeer: 07-10-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old
07-10-2012, 09:12 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
But we did not win a cup with Roenick. I am not going to say that determination and heart does not mean anything but what we are lacking is speed. Doan does not bring that to us.

He would be a great addition on top of a say a Nash/Semin/Grabner to put our team over the top. But by himself .. I dont know. I still want him .. but I am not expecting miracles.
Ya me either, especially not at that price, but if we did get him I think that would be the most important thing he would bring to the team.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:20 AM
OffSydes

Sharks have too many Francophones on the team

Old
07-10-2012, 09:28 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
Sharks have too many Francophones on the team
We do?...

The only ones I know that speak french are Demers... Vlasic...

Who else?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:31 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

....I think he's referring to the incident where Doan got in trouble for insulting a French-Canadian ref.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
We do?...

Who else?
Boyle as well I think. They interviewed him in French when we played the Habs last season.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:33 AM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

Quote:
We do?...

Who else?
Boyle is fluent as well, I believe.

Edit: beaten by a drunken fist

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
07-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Falco5

Quote:
Lol. Double the penalty minutes is not a good thing. This is Clowe's main problem.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Korolyuk15

nooo, I want Semin not Doan...

Old
07-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Boyle is fluent as well, I believe.

Edit: beaten by a drunken fist
I will not be objectified in this manner. There is more to me than just a drunken fist!

Old
07-10-2012, 09:49 AM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

Quote:
I will not be objectified in this manner. There is more to me than just a drunken fist!

What, you throw drunken elbows and headbutts as well?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:55 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
nooo, I want Semin not Doan...
Sign both (if Doan has made up his mind to leave), and trade Clowe to Phoenix.

07-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
What, you throw drunken elbows and headbutts as well?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Oh my...when i first read this, my mind put an "ing" at the end. Haha.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco5 View Post
Lol. Double the penalty minutes is not a good thing. This is Clowe's main problem.
He's double the minutes because he's had 32 fights the last 3 years and Doan has 4. Take those out and Clowe has averaged 5 more minor penalites a year than Doan. If you lose Clowe, there's nobody left at all to drop the gloves.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
SonomaShark
@SharkInfestation

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's double the minutes because he's had 32 fights the last 3 years and Doan has 4. Take those out and Clowe has averaged 5 more minor penalites a year than Doan. If you lose Clowe, there's nobody left at all to drop the gloves.
Sure there is!

Old
07-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Falco5

Quote:
We just signed Burrish, who can definitely bring it if need be. He was not needed to do that in Dallas but he dropped the gloves a lot more when he was on the blackhawks. I am of the belief that no one in the top 6 should be dropping the gloves that much but that is a different philosophical debate.

Not having watched enough of Doan its hard for me to compare, but Clowe takes a decent amount of dumb penalties.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:42 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Paul Bissonnette is all yours.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:48 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Paul Bissonnette is all yours.
Bissonnette is worth it for the twitter feed if nothing else.

Closed Thread