HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 2012 Free Agency - Part Elf: May the Shea Be With Us

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 09:57 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac1466 View Post
Sorry for OT but...
At least the Freezers will be able to ice a decent team. The DEG are destined to be bottom feeders until they find a new main sponsor
But I love them and they are my team and I'll always remember when they used to be the best! Oooooh, Trunschkas!

And I am against Hamburg's approach of throwing big money at sports teams and miserably failing anyway in general. Werder Bremen, THW Kiel, DEG fan here.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
God, I really, really want this to happen. Twitter is the worst thing for an anxious sports fan. Back in the day you didn't have to waste time hearing rumors every other hour...
After the big two signed I stayed away a few days..but this crap gets me exited once again..I wish Semin and Doan could just decide..I mean to be exactly, I just want the next season to start now, and I want to see our season opening lineup.

I hope that there aren't going to develop problems with the CBA stuff. If this coast another season, I'm done with hockey.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Good point on the comparison to Kovy being playoff money. I didn't forget. I was referencing specifically where Kovy's reputation was when Patrick traded the rights to Nedved for him.

Better example, IMO: The **** people say now about Semin is the same **** they were saying five years ago about Geno or even two years ago about Kovalchuk.

And, I think Semin did more than 'maybe try'. He was playing with **** linemates trying to carry a second line, and he might have been the Caps best forward in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Hunter got through to him. After years of Fats Boudreau, with his buddy Ovechkin sitting nearby dogging the coach, a little dose of Dale Hunter may have had its biggest impact (positive impact) on Semin.

I just think-- and, again, it's a risk-- that you put that personality with the Pens, with a coach who accentuates the positive and influences like Sid and Geno, and you're going to get a top 10-20 forward in the league, which IMO is what Semin is when his head is screwed on right.
If Semin comes to the Pens on a one year deal, it basically means he wasn't wanted. He has pride I'm sure and would hopefully be motivated to prove his naysayers (I'm one of them) wrong. But I would prefer he be like Kovy; Coast through the reg season then flip the switch come playoff time.

I'm far from worried about Semin doing well during the regular season.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Foma Kiniaev

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
But I love them and they are my team and I'll always remember when they used to be the best! Oooooh, Trunschkas!

And I am against Hamburg's approach of throwing big money at sports teams and miserably failing anyway in general. Werder Bremen, THW Kiel, DEG fan here.
Cool to hear. They are my #1 German club. Hell, I played for their youth teams from 2003-2005 after I moved from Pitt. Some of the best times I had in my playing days (especially playing against Köln ). I just wish the DEB-sanction leagues didn't have such a restriction on import players (2!!!), otherwise I would have played for their DNL team when they were promoted.

Anyways, here's hoping we can get one of Doan/Semin in the coming days. Otherwise I don't see myself being able to justify staying up till 4 in the morning just to watch my Pens...

Old
07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Lemieuxfan

I just realized how that off season has bee so far:

out:
Asham
Sullivan
Z
Staal
Park
BJ

in:
Sutter
Glass
Vokun

So we got a good backup, created a hole at D and downgraded on the 3rd line center spot. Also lost our 13th guy in Park (no hard feelings, it was the right decision) and one of our pp QB in Sullivan.

We really have to sign somebody or trade picks and prospects for upgrades. The team we have now doen't carry us anywhere.

So let's why I want Semin so much..If I had the choice between him and Doan it's him, because of the age. But I would also try to sign Doan, I mean we have the money, as long as it's a 1 year deal.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Lemieuxfan

Fan960 reports Semin to Pens, 1 year deal.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:17 AM
ThatGuy

Send a message via MSN to ThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
Fan960 reports Semin to Pens, 1 year deal.
That report is no different than what we've been hearing for the past 2 days.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

Holy!

http://twitpic.com/a63sii

Old
RayPayys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Do we expect any decisions today or should I continue focusing on work today?
Agreed, wondering the same thing ...I have a feeling my IT department will have to troubleshoot a broken F5 button for me at some point today.

Old
Lemieuxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
That report is no different than what we've been hearing for the past 2 days.
Sry, just realized that too, my bad. Damn.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
I just realized how that off season has bee so far:

out:
Asham
Sullivan
Z
Staal
Park
BJ

in:
Sutter
Glass
Vokun

So we got a good backup, created a hole at D and downgraded on the 3rd line center spot. Also lost our 13th guy in Park (no hard feelings, it was the right decision) and one of our pp QB in Sullivan.

We really have to sign somebody or trade picks and prospects for upgrades. The team we have now doen't carry us anywhere.

So let's why I want Semin so much..If I had the choice between him and Doan it's him, because of the age. But I would also try to sign Doan, I mean we have the money, as long as it's a 1 year deal.
i dont mind the hole at D since we have soo many young guys, hope they can step up and make us a better team.

i do want us to get semin, and i did want them to bring sully back but if we get semin i dont mind not bringing him back, Semin will help our PP more

Old
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
No offense but two former teammates experiences have more credibility than a fan's thoughts.
Exactly. If Steckel - Crosby hadn't happened no one would think badly of the guy. These opinions are valid because it's extremely rare in the player community for something like that to happen. It's not something guys take lightly (even guys who don't like each other much). It can have a big impact on contracts as we're seeing, once the media takes off with something. It could also lead to legal action if you're not careful in how you phrase something about another person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
100 dollars say that Neal will be on Crosby's wing to start the season - and Semin on Malkin's - if this goes down.
Only if Bylsma takes the approach of a narrow minded yinzer / Canadian fan: "Russians should play with Russians". As I've said before he may end up there anyway if we sign him but initially Semin should be Crosby's linemate and see how it goes. According to all the stories and theories, that would put the two "most talented players" in the NHL on one line. What's not to love... right? Or, would it just not "feel right" to some fans. BTW none of that directed at you just talking about the "Neal should be with Sid but I can't explain why" phenomenon and how this would play into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidNeedsNoWingers View Post
If Semin comes to the Pens, I vote that his new more mature nickname should be Bongos.
Approved ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Do we expect any decisions today or should I continue focusing on work today?
Work like your job depends on it.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:30 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac1466 View Post
Cool to hear. They are my #1 German club. Hell, I played for their youth teams from 2003-2005 after I moved from Pitt. Some of the best times I had in my playing days (especially playing against Köln ). I just wish the DEB-sanction leagues didn't have such a restriction on import players (2!!!), otherwise I would have played for their DNL team when they were promoted.

Anyways, here's hoping we can get one of Doan/Semin in the coming days. Otherwise I don't see myself being able to justify staying up till 4 in the morning just to watch my Pens...
That's so fun to hear. Crap for not having a German grandmother or something.

Did you still get to play/watch games at Brehmstrasse? My dad used to play for their youth team in the 60s too and he constantly whines about their new arena, says Brehmstrasse was the temple of German hockey.

And yes to Semin! Just get here already. We need more 10-3s.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
WTF is his hair? He looks like that guy from Sons of Anarchy.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
WTF is his hair? He looks like that guy from Sons of Anarchy.
Only a bad-ass can get away with that haircut. You or I wear that haircut, we lose our jobs and get mobbed by the neighbors.

Guy's let's keep the prospects stuff to the Prospect Camp thread, though. THanks!

Old
07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Foma Kiniaev

Quote:
That's so fun to hear. Crap for not having a German grandmother or something.

Did you still get to play/watch games at Brehmstrasse? My dad used to play for their youth team in the 60s too and he constantly whines about their new arena, says Brehmstrasse was the temple of German hockey.

And yes to Semin! Just get here already. We need more 10-3s.
Yep. When I arrived in Düsseldorf they hadn't even started building the practice arena yet, so we played and practiced in the main rink. And as a member of the 'Jugendabteilung' all the youth players from as young as 5 to as old as 20 (when DEG had a Junioren team) got free tickets, and we could sit on the away side seated area, or we could sit up top overlooking the DEG net. I'll never forget the atmosphere of Brehmstrasse.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
PensFanSince1989

So, have we signed anyone yet?

Old
07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Nyet.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
So, have we signed anyone yet?
I have it on good authority that Shero heard that there was a guy named Elmo Dupuis in Crafton. He is looking seriously into signing him.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I have it on good authority that Shero heard that there was a guy named Elmo Dupuis in Crafton. He is looking seriously into signing him.
I am philosophically opposed to signing anyone named Elmo, Emo, or Momo.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
One year deal would be best for the Pens, and I'm surprised that it's even rumored he's signing for that. Really thought it'd take a few years to get him. Although, maybe all teams are only offering a year.

I'm still all for signing him, as I've been for quite a while now. Still think he'd have a great season on one of our top lines.
I really believe a 1 year deal is best for the Pens and Semin. The Pens have no risk involved and could only benefit in a one year deal. Semin gets a year to prove he can be a good team player and put up great stats playing with the best centers in the NHL and a PP of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, and himself. With his right handed shot he makes our PP twice as deadly with options from both sides. Semin uses this good year to sign a big contract to the highest bidder next summer so he wins big with a 1 year deal. If I was him I would sign a 1 year deal and cash in next year. He still would get a big 1 year pay day so he actually makes much more money doing this than signing a long term deal now with any team.

Call me crazy but I believe Semin would kick butt next to Sid and also on our PP. I really believe he is the perfect fit for this team. We have plenty of tough physical two way wingers in Kunitz, Neal, Cooke, and Dupuis, in our top 9 forwards so having one highly skilled winger that has elite skills and a right handed shot playing with the best centers in the world.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
regard

But Elmers are okay.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
But Elmers are okay.
Unequivocally. There can be only one Elmer.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
AgentM

Why is the new thread locked and this one still open?

Old
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Waiting till this one gets closer to 1000.

Closed Thread