HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too many defensemen

Old
07-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
I think anyone who says we got too many d forgot last season.

Injuries was a big thing last year, so chances are we don't got enough dmen .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
The difference is Kaberle is the better player between the two. What I was simply saying is that there is no need to trade Kaberle now, specially for a 7th round pick, when we don't need the cap space, plus Kaberle gives us a good backup plan if Markov gets hurt again, and also lets Beaulieu gets some NHL time, who I think is going to replace Kaberle in the lineup in a year/ year and half.

With that said, by the trade deadline next year, Karberle contract will be very similar to that of Zidlicky when he got traded this past deadline, and he got a decent return for the Wild. I'm simply saying that it would be stupid to trade Kaberle for a 7th round pick now, when you can probably get more for him at the trade line.
I think it makes sense to keep Kabs instead of giving him away at this point.

But I don't think you can say Kabs and Zidlicky's contracts are or will ever be very similar since Kabs is owed so much more money.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:02 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think it makes sense to keep Kabs instead of giving him away at this point.

But I don't think you can say Kabs and Zidlicky's contracts are or will ever be very similar since Kabs is owed so much more money.

How r they not comparable, Kaberle has an extra year, and his cap hit is only 250k more. When the Devils traded for Zidlcky, he had 1 extra year on his contract. If we trade Kaberle at the 2013 trade deadline , the team acquiring Kaberle will have a contract very similar to the one the Devils took when they traded for Zidlicky.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:34 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
lol, did you see Zidlicky, apart some a little good stretch in the playoffs, the guy was just as bad as Kaberle defensivly, but didn't even put up any points on the board.

After the traded from the Canes, Kaberle was putting up points. And his contract is very comparable to Zidlicky.
I don't give a fack about Zidlicky. He doesn't try to play defense for our team. I don't care how many guys around the league are "just as bad defensively" than Kaberle. Fact is : Kaberle is terrible defensively and soft. He also looked out of shape.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I don't give a fack about Zidlicky. He doesn't try to play defense for our team. I don't care how many guys around the league are "just as bad defensively" than Kaberle. Fact is : Kaberle is terrible defensively and soft. He also looked out of shape.
Ok, but that doesn't doesn't mean

"If Bergeron gets a 7th for Kaberle and his contract, he's a shoe in for GM of the year."

-gillyguzzler

It would be stupid to trade him for a 7th round pick now, specially if you don't plan on using the 4.25M in cap space, you can get more than a 7th round pick by the trade deadline.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:07 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Ok, but that doesn't doesn't mean

"If Bergeron gets a 7th for Kaberle and his contract, he's a shoe in for GM of the year."

-gillyguzzler

It Would be stupid to trade him for a 7th round pick now, specially if you don't plan on using the 4.25M in cap space, you can get more than a 7th round pick by the trade deadline.
What?????

It's not complicated. Kaberle is terrible defensively and is very soft. He's chubby too. He's not worth 8.5M over the next two years, not even close. The Habs always spend to the cap and his 4.25M (and Gomez' 7.3M) is an albatross that no team wants, even for a 7th round pick.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
What?????

It's not complicated. Kaberle is terrible defensively and is very soft. He's chubby too. He's not worth 8.5M over the next two years, not even close. The Habs always spend to the cap and his 4.25M (and Gomez' 7.3M) is an albatross that no team wants, even for a 7th round pick.
Dude no one is debating that Kaberle is soft, and is bad defensively, so I'm not sure why you keep repeating it, but that doesn't mean he is only worth a 7th round pick, specially at around the 2013 trade deadline, when teams overpay for veteran puck moving d-men. I used Zidlicky as a comparison, a guy who is soft, horrible defensively, and wasn't even putting up any points at the time of his trade. If Kaberle keeps playing the way he has since joining the Habs, "terrible defensively and is very soft", but on a 40-45 point pace, he will get a return of more than just a 7th round pick if traded at the deadline.

Also if you look at last season, we actually didn't spend to the cap, we had about 5M in cap space going into training camp, before the Campoli signing.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:28 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Dude no one is debating that Kaberle is soft, and is bad defensively, so I'm not sure why you keep repeating it, but that doesn't mean he is only worth a 7th round pick, specially at around the 2013 trade deadline, when teams overpay for veteran puck moving d-men. I used Zidlicky as a comparison, a guy who is soft, horrible defensively, and wasn't even putting up any points at the time of his trade. If Kaberle keeps playing the way he has since joining the Habs, "terrible defensively and is very soft", but on a 40-45 point pace, he will get a return of more than just a 7th round pick if traded at the deadline.

Also if you look at last season, we actually didn't spend to the cap, we had about 5M in cap space going into training camp, before the Campoli signing.
Dude, do you really think they did not try to unload at the trade deadline last year and couldn't get anything for him?

Last edited by gillyguzzler: 07-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old
07-10-2012, 10:30 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Dude, do you really think they need try to unload at the trade deadline last year and couldn't get anything for him?
LOL I didn't hear any rumours of the habs trying to trade Kaberle last year......

Old
07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
gusfring

The problem isn't too many D, it's too many D that are borderline NHL'ers right now.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
How r they not comparable, Kaberle has an extra year, and his cap hit is only 250k more. When the Devils traded for Zidlcky, he had 1 extra year on his contract. If we trade Kaberle at the 2013 trade deadline , the team acquiring Kaberle will have a contract very similar to the one the Devils took when they traded for Zidlicky.
How can you say they are very comparable and then state that Kabs has an extra year. Also don't look at the cap hit, look at the salary, which is 4.5M after this season. So whoever takes on Zidlicky, his contract would be almost no impact on finances, whoever takes on Kabs is adding 4.5M in salary for the following season, a very big difference.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:04 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Dude, do you really think they did not try to unload at the trade deadline last year and couldn't get anything for him?
Kaberle is insurance for Markov. If Markov proves he's healthy and good to go, Kaberle will be moved at the deadline. Unless of course he proves to be a valuable piece to a very good team, in which case we'd keep him.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:06 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
How can you say they are very comparable and then state that Kabs has an extra year. Also don't look at the cap hit, look at the salary, which is 4.5M after this season. So whoever takes on Zidlicky, his contract would be almost no impact on finances, whoever takes on Kabs is adding 4.5M in salary for the following season, a very big difference.

Can a third party please let me know if I was being unclear, and hard to understand or is it just you, if so I'm sorry. But I don't see how hard is to understand what I am saying.

I'm not comparing the contracts at the same time, but rather at the time of the Zidlicky in 2012, who had 1 year extra at 4M at the time of the trade, and a hypothetical trade that would see Kaberle traded at the 2013 deadline, who would have 1 more year, with a cap hit of 4.25M, and an extra 250K in really dollars, and also really .500K is a big difference on a 70M cap, really?

So I'm not sure what you are not getting.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Can a third party please let me know if I was being unclear, and hard to understand or is it just you, if so I'm sorry. But I don't see how hard is to understand what I am saying.

I'm not comparing the contracts at the same time, but rather at the time of the Zidlicky in 2012, who had 1 year extra at 4M at the time of the trade, and a hypothetical trade that would see Kaberle traded at the 2013 deadline, who would have 1 more year, with a cap hit of 4.25M, and an extra 250K in really dollars.

So I'm not sure what you are not getting.
I see, so you are comparing Zidlicky last year to Kabs this year. It would be an extra 500K in dollars, since Zidlicky has a 4M cap hit and 4M salary vs Kabs who has a 4.25M cap hit and 4.5M salary. I thought you were comparing Zidlicky's contract this season, which didn't make sense since he'll be a UFA next summer vs Kabs who will have another year left.

I'd be all for trading Kabs at the deadline no matter what the return was, since it would save 4.25M in cap space for the following season.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
danyhabsfan

We should have signed Allen instead of Bouillon and our defense would have been set.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:20 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
I see, so you are comparing Zidlicky last year to Kabs this year. It would be an extra 500K in dollars, since Zidlicky has a 4M cap hit and 4M salary vs Kabs who has a 4.25M cap hit and 4.5M salary. I thought you were comparing Zidlicky's contract this season, which didn't make sense since he'll be a UFA next summer vs Kabs who will have another year left.

I'd be all for trading Kabs at the deadline no matter what the return was, since it would save 4.25M in cap space for the following season.

I also think he is as good as gone by the deadline , specially if Markov shows he is back to 100%, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Beaulieu be ready for replace him after spending 3/4 of the year in the AHL.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:23 AM
BLONG7

Every team needs 8 NHL dmen...you can never predict injuries, and it seems these days that the D on every team gets some tough injuries...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
We should have signed Allen instead of Bouillon and our defense would have been set.
.... So easy.... Maybe you should ask yourself WHY Allen would had signed with the Habs. The guy had 29 other teams to choose from...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I think anyone who says we got too many d forgot last season.

Injuries was a big thing last year, so chances are we don't got enough dmen .
Especially with Hamilton being stacked with raw rookies on D except for St-Denis. No ones ready for NHL action.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
.... So easy.... Maybe you should ask yourself WHY Allen would had signed with the Habs. The guy had 29 other teams to choose from...
Relax he is not attacking Bouillon. And he is 100% right. They way you put it sounds like we have to take the bottom of the barrel.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote