HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins dont need a D man

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 11:59 AM
BRINGITHH8771*

vCash: 500
Penguins dont need a D man

Everyone is commenting on threads like semin or doan or trade possibilities with the ducks and the cbj.

They keep saying so and so wont go to pittsburgh because they dont need offence. Why is that.. We have a good defence with tons of young prospects plus half the year we were w.o 2 of our top 4 d-men.. in martin/makalek/letang..

that said on offence we got genos line and nobody on sids line because quite frankly dupuis suxs.

we potentially have bennet to be ready to join the pens

but sid has no wingers... yeah he can still score 40-60 goals without them but that just makes it a lot harder.. last year it was Dupuis-Sid-(kunitz/cooke for the most part)

and we still have enough cap to sign semin or both semin and doan.. and still possibly some to trade for a d-man. If we still think we need one.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:00 PM
caley

I think it's in reference to the playoffs when Philadelphia made Pittsburgh's defence look AHL-calibre.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

Because you guys have too much offense and not enough defense. It showed. The Penguins do not need anymore offense, they would only be hurting themselves. Pretty much sums it up.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I think it's in reference to the playoffs when Philadelphia made Pittsburgh's defence look AHL-calibre.
Or the fact that we don't have a single D who's actually capable of clearing the crease. Or a true shutdown pairing...

Old
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
And the fact that they got worse in trading Michalek.

Old
N o o d l e s

Yeah sure, you don't NEED a defenseman. That is, if you're ok with not winning a Stanley Cup until all these prospects develop.

Right now, defense is the problem for Pittsburgh, I don't know how you can say that. The goals let up in the playoffs were atrocious, and should have been a wake up call. I do understand you're loaded with d prospects that have very bright futures, but they are just prospects and you never know.

Old
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by loLZokAY View Post
Because you guys have too much offense and not enough defense. It showed. The Penguins do not need anymore offense, they would only be hurting themselves. Pretty much sums it up.
Too much offense is bad?

Old
07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Pens fans know that.

This shouldn't really be a thread, but we really don't need defensemen. Our defense doesn't lack skill, they just didn't play good defense at the end of the year and playoffs. Guys are motivated to play better defensively, Bylsma will likely make some adjustments, but the Pens can roll with the D they have. They don't NEED to add a defenseman.

Shero said if he sees the opportunity to upgrade his team, he will do it. So they can add a top 4 defenseman if a deal is there that Shero likes, but I don't expect there to be one.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
wej20

Pens don't need a Dman unless it's a top pairing guy or a physical number 3. Pens actually have too many Dmen, they'd be looking to shift one of Strait or Bortuzzo + Lovejoy.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:06 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Whatever you need to tell yourself man.

I don't see a defence that is cup winning calibre, but I guess the Penguins don't NEED to win the cup this year anyways as their core is relatively young.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
HTT3*

I watched Pens in the playoffs this year and they looked like they needed lots of help on D. They were brutal.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
BRINGITHH8771*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Pens don't need a Dman unless it's a top pairing guy or a physical number 3. Pens actually have too many Dmen, they'd be looking to shift one of Strait or Bortuzzo + Lovejoy.
We do have to many defencemen... but offencive defenceman.... our defence was cheep last year and throughout the season they did well and choked in the playoffs but we got so many prospects comming up.. and we got a ton of 2 way forwards... unlike most teams.. Sid staal dupuis cooke tk our 4th line as most have...

Old
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Really wish we hadn't of traded Michalek for scraps. He's worth more than that.

Get rid of Martin and bring someone in.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
BRINGITHH8771*

i also wouldnt mind picking up scott hannan for like 1.5 to 2 per yr maybe a 1 year deal. vet d man

Old
07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
BRINGITHH8771*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

thank you.. i agreed... martin would be worth that, but i bet they were trying to use martin to bring in parise.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Sid and Dupuis go together like PB & J. They work well together.

Offense doesn't seem to be a weak point for them...

Old
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Agreed, that colored everything it seems, which is silly. And is the one thing that too many at HF fall into, the what have you done lately syndrom. If a guy scores three goals in a game he is the next Gretzky. If he is on a five game scoring slump we get asked if that star player's career is done. It makes me laugh each time I see it, and it is far from only the Pens' players or team that is subject to that here.

As an aside, I do not hear this desperation to fix Philly's defense, even though they got lit up and lost one of their top pairing defensemen. Two if you count Pronger. To be honest, although Pittsburgh and Philly need to adjust, with personelle and even more in my opinion system, the point of this thread is valid even if stated in a crude way. Neither team has major needs defensively, surely not as much as some at HF seem to think. Just minor adjustments.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
I watched Pens in the playoffs this year and they looked like they needed lots of help on D. They were brutal.
Yes, but did you watch the Pens during the regular season when the defense wasn't a problem?

It all goes back to not doing it rather than can't do it. The Penguins didn't do their job defensively, but that doesn't mean they can't do the job defensively.

And we didn't get worse by trading Michalek, he wasn't that good here, either. Niskanen plays a better two way game and he's moving up to the top 4. Despres will take his #5 spot.

So if everyone watched the Penguins throughout the season and saw Despres and Niskanen play, they should know how they play. It's really not that hard to understand. I'm not saying the Pens WILL win the Cup with that D, but if they play their game and play team defense they can compete and contend for the Cup.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post

Martin wasn't very popular among us Pen's fans last season but I bet he bounces back this year.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
BRINGITHH8771*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Sid and Dupuis go together like PB & J. They work well together.

Offense doesn't seem to be a weak point for them...
You can never have to much offence if you have the defence.. which we sorta have but we gotta rely on the kids. or sign a vet stay at home defenceman

Old
07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Pens fans know that.

This shouldn't really be a thread, but we really don't need defensemen. Our defense doesn't lack skill, they just didn't play good defense at the end of the year and playoffs. Guys are motivated to play better defensively, Bylsma will likely make some adjustments, but the Pens can roll with the D they have. They don't NEED to add a defenseman.

Shero said if he sees the opportunity to upgrade his team, he will do it. So they can add a top 4 defenseman if a deal is there that Shero likes, but I don't expect there to be one.
I would love to trade Engelland+ for someone like Allen/Grossmann/Hejda, etc.

Letang - Martin
Niskanen - Orpik
XXX - Despres/Strait/Bort

Old
07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
BRINGITHH8771*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I would love to trade Engelland+ for someone like Allen/Grossmann/Hejda, etc.

Letang - Martin
Niskanen - Orpik
XXX - Despres/Strait/Bort
dude engo is solid.. and can drop the gloves if he has to and have u seen his paycheck... lol you dont trade that away nomatter what..

Old
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Flat Stanley

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@pghpenguins
RT @pensinsidescoop Bylsma: Despres has the ability to do everything. Showed he can play well v top lines in NHL. Likes idea of pairing w 58

If Bylsma wants to do that.

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Martin-Engelland

Old
07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Martin wasn't very popular among us Pen's fans last season but I bet he bounces back this year.
I agree, he fits the game Bylsma plays much more than Z did.

The thing is we have a few guys with top four pairing potential that we need to try and see if that potential will be realized in the next couple of years. Despres, Morrow and Dumoulin all have high potential and will need a spot the next two years. Despres this year. Add Pouiot and Maatta down the road and you have why signing Suter at almost 8 million per for the next 13 years made little sense to me in a cap word. True, none of the guys I listed may become as good as Suter. But we already have Letang to resign in two years. At that price let some of the talented kids fill in. If not, and we are going the FA route at hugely inflated price why did Shero draft all these defensemen year after year?

Old
07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Too much offense is bad?
It's not BAD, it's just you need to find that balance between good offense and solid defense. Is it easier for a good defensive team to slow down a top offense or score against a tight defense? I think it's easier for the good defensive team to slow down the top offense, especially with the way games are being called some nights. If that top offensive team isn't that great defensively, if they're having trouble scoring but not preventing the other team from scoring, they're going to lose. If your defense is always solid, you still are going to be able to hang in games and try to win them 1-0, 2-1. If you want an example, it was what the Kings had to do much of the season to get into the playoffs until their offense picked up some. They always had a chance to win because Quick wasn't letting them get blown out of games.

I think what happened to Pittsburgh at the end of last season was a bit of a fluke. Wit all the moves what is their top 6 shaping up like for 2012-13?

Closed Thread