HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Sestito agreed to a one-year deal worth $605,000

Old
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if he was 5"10 and 180 he wouldnt be as popular as he is now.2 goals, and 2 assists in 9 games is way to small of a sample size for me to even think about having any hockey skill. I dont think he is a good hockey player. I think he belongs in the AHL.
I know the Flyers need size on the wings. I wont deny that. I would rather have someone who can play. Sestito isnt a NHL player. Especially when if he is in the lineup he is playing 4 minutes a night.
Winnik has more hockey skill then Sestito does. I would take him.
As I have stated as it stands right now there is little room for him in the lineup. Shelley isnt going anywhere sadly and then there is Rinaldo as well. You cannot have all 3 on the roster.
I agree but that is because they have more then enough of the 5'10" 180lbs type of forwards and even their bigger forwards like Voracek and Coots aren't punishing type of players.

I would love an upgrade on Sestito but if they don't go in that direction then I think Sestito has done enough in the AHL and OHL to warrant a look along with Testwuide or Holmstrom. If you look at his AHL and OHL numbers they aren't that bad for what he does on the ice.

I think sometimes (not necessarily you) people down play the need to have a good mesh of players with different skill sets and want just the most skilled players on the ice. In an 82 game grind you need someone that keeps people honest.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Maybe not exactly, but they are all players that:
Cannot be relied on for offense or PP duties
Cannot PK
Are bad defensively
Are physical
Will fight
Shouldn't play higher than the 4th line

The only real difference between Rinaldo and Sestito is that Rinaldo is faster and smaller, whereas Sestito is bigger and slower.
Meh. Rinaldo isn't bad defensively and neither was Shelley most of his career. Shelley's age now caught up with him were he cannot skate and keep up with players but he was never bad defensively. Both are average. Rinaldo has more upside because they obviously want to turn him into a career checking forward.

It remains to be seen if he grows into that role because honestly he needs to focus more on playing the game then just trying to agitate and fight. He looked better this year by not running around just trying to hit but he needs to scale back on the fighting and after the whistle crap. He should just let the big hits do the agitating.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
if we didnt have Shelley on the roster I wouldnt have an issue with keeping Sestito on the pro roster. I dont think hes an every day NHL player. He can be used in certian situations. If he does something stupid and gets suspended send him back to the Phantoms.
I dont think Sestitio is a good enough skater to have out there if you want to roll 4 lines. Which made the Flyers really fun to watch at times last year when they could roll out 4 lines.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Meh. Rinaldo isn't bad defensively and neither was Shelley most of his career. Shelley's age now caught up with him were he cannot skate and keep up with players but he was never bad defensively. Both are average. Rinaldo has more upside because they obviously want to turn him into a career checking forward.

It remains to be seen if he grows into that role because honestly he needs to focus more on playing the game then just trying to agitate and fight. He looked better this year by not running around just trying to hit but he needs to scale back on the fighting and after the whistle crap. He should just let the big hits do the agitating.
Shelley knows where he needs to be defensively, but he is too ******(too slow especially) of a hockey player to get it done.

Rinaldo seems to be learning how to play defensively a bit (though playing a lot with Couturier probably sheltered him), but like you said he needs to really focus on if he wants to establish himself a niche besides agitator.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
3Fs

I'm happy bout him being signed.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

We have come full circle.

Sestito > Rinaldo > Shelley > poo

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:47 PM
ninetynine*

Guys...Shelley's 6'3 230, especially if our forwards are small keep him around! The Flyers organization values toughness for a reason.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:32 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Guys...Shelley's 6'3 230, especially if our forwards are small keep him around! The Flyers organization values toughness for a reason.
To bad it takes him about 3 minutes to complete a lap around the rink......

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Stonehands77

I guess this is an OK signing, but doesn't this start to put us close to the contract limit? For a guy who really won't see any time in the NHL this year (or likely won't)?

I guess I don't understand why we need to sign these marginal guys who likely won't play/contribute and leave little/no breathing room with regards to the number of contracts.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I guess this is an OK signing, but doesn't this start to put us close to the contract limit? For a guy who really won't see any time in the NHL this year (or likely won't)?

I guess I don't understand why we need to sign these marginal guys who likely won't play/contribute and leave little/no breathing room with regards to the number of contracts.
I'm not sure why you think he won't be seeing any NHL time this year. It seems the majority think he plays quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes the team out of camp.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

Plus, we really do have a **** ton of skill guys. I feel everybody treats our prospect pool like we don't have skill guys when we have loads of them.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:22 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:

I dont think it officially comes off the contract list so long as hes a RFA. So I dont think anything was ever lost or gained.
I think we are at 48. including the likely sliding contracts of Mathers and Cousins.

Probably going to have 3 and change in cap space once Voracek signs. I dont know if we are done or not. Probably not going to trade for Ryan or Nash unless the price comes down consiterably. Which is ok with me.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:33 AM
mirimon

Quote:

We're at 50 contracts with all of our rfa's counted. That also includes Mathers and Cousins, however, and they will most likely slide; so that would put us at 48.

I don't have any trouble with re-signing Sestito, even if I don't think he'll be a regular with the Flyers. Being at 48 or 49 contracts isn't nearly as worrisome as being at 50.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Now that Sestito is signed can we please get rid of Jody Shelley, the man is soooo slow.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:44 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

how come this hasnt been reported anywhere (capgeek.com)?

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
how come this hasnt been reported anywhere (capgeek.com)?
It's the same with Testwuide, I don't know why.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 01:15 PM
dats81

Sestito will always be known as The Big Guy, no matter how hard he tries to develop some hockey skills.
Doesn't really matter as there will always be a roster spot for that kind of player and at least he can skate rather smoothly, keep up with the speed of the game.

I don't undertand all the love for Testwuide or Holmstrom. Holmstrom brings at least some leadership and PK skills but what has Testwuide ever done besides the hype in training camp a couple of years ago? He's the next Maroon/Kalinski/--insert name here--. Dime a dozen career AHLer.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote