HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs back to CJAD

Old
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Hemlor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I have no idea what most of you are talking about...

Here's a perspective from a Montrealer who's "neutral" about the Habs. If you think they're bad hosts, that has more to do with the fact that they don't suck up to the team and believes that everything the organization does is golden. Marinaro's a pretty good host, and other than Randy who's complete vanilla and annoying with his "come onnnnnnn", the rest of the guys do a good job too.

I make it a point to be at a radio or computer when McGuire, Lebrun, Nilan et. al. are due to be on. I love when Marinaro contacts the GM's of opposing teams.

Jesus, have you guys actually listened to anything on the french side, be it radio or tv? If you guys actually prefer that, I honestly don't know what to tell you.
Nothing to do with them not 'sucking up' to the Habs, it's about the lack of professionalism. They act like it's a small-town station, not one that is associated with a major, national TV enterprise. I would be happy with it if they overhauled their staff.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
ak90210

TSN 990 is goof in theory but the guys they get to host shows are the worst. Teeman is so god damn stupid and then theres Tony Marinaro who can barely even speak english. Good riddance.

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplecitizen View Post
CKAC730 did pretty well iirc. They got turned into a traffic station because it would be subsidized by the government.
If it needed to be subsidized by the government THEN it wasn't doing very well, was it?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
MoonlightGraham

Sad to see people will lose their jobs. Wish them all the best.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
triplecitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
If it needed to be subsidized by the government THEN it was doing very well, was it?
CKAC didn't need to be subsidized. It's just that becoming traffic radio gave them free money so they went with that. It's a business, they go were the profits are.

triplecitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:17 PM
havok78

Quote:
CKAC didn't need to be subsidized. It's just that becoming traffic radio gave them free money so they went with that. It's a business, they go were the profits are.
Exactly, there was a public offer for an all traffic radio station, with tons of cash thrown in, the expiry date was coming up, the 690 am battle hadn't ended so they had to act quick...

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:17 PM
onice

Quote:
Stop and reread what you just wrote.

If CKAC was doing very well it would have shown a profit. Obviously, it didn't or the owners wouldn't have converted it to a traffic station and relied on government subsidies.

But we'll see it in 2-3 years when Bell converts RDS 990 into a let's watch paint dry station with French voice over of course.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:18 PM
triplecitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Stop and reread what you just wrote.

If CKAC was doing very well it would have shown a profit. Obviously, it didn't or the owners wouldn't have converted it to a traffic station and relied on government subsidies.
It DID make profits, they just decided to make MORE. They're not relying on the subsidies, they just make even more money with them.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Bohemian93

How can anybody be in jubilation about this??

No matter the quality of the stations broadcasters, TSN 990 was a voice for the English-speaking community in our city. A significant demographic in this city that has been constantly antagonized for no legitimate reason over the years. Anyone who supports this move is just typical of the apathetic and defeatist attitude everybody else possesses in this community that allows all this utter garbage to happen.

Last edited by hototogisu: 07-10-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: nope
Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
I miss the Team 990 and CKAC days.
Ditto. Those two stations got me through those long daily commutes.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What kind of remark? I actually don't mind Tony, but I know that most people in here don't like him at all. But I'm personnally fine with him, he does have his ups and downs. But there's a lot of "journalists" who has never seen ups in their lifetime....
I agree. I really don't mind Tony. He's makes it entertaining. I'm not a fan of him having callers (but to be honest, I don't like it when anybody has segments of callers), and he can be annoying when he always insists on being right, but otherwise I find it pretty entertaining.
I find TSN 990 to have their ups and downs in general, sometimes they waste a lot of times talking about useless crap, but there was no comparison in terms of guests.
McGuire, Bobby Mac, DD, Friedman, MacKasey, Nilan, Robinson, and all the other scouts and GMs they got.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightGraham View Post
Sad to see people will lose their jobs. Wish them all the best.
I hope Noel Butler gets a job somewhere, I'll miss his soccer talk.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
wedge

I'm francophone and I'm sad about it. I'm all for a french sports station. I listened to CKAC when it was an all-sport station. I'll probably listen to it most of the times. But it sucks that the english part is forgotten. There must be a way to keep both stations. I don't know. Satisfy a fan base to alienate another one isn't the best idea in the world.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Et le But

This is sad, as someone who doesn't live in Montreal anymore TSN 990 was one way I was able to keep up with my favourite sports teams.

There was a lot of nonsense (but that's all sports radio), but they had great guests due to the TSN connection and the play by play team was excellent. It's a shame that Bell is another one who treats the population that prefers English as an afterthought. I completely understand an RDS radio station, there's no reason to not have an all-sports station in Quebec when you consider the majority, but in today's world with internet streaming, TSN allowed us international Habs fans to keep up, not to mention solid coverage of the Impact and soccer in general.

As far as Marinaro goes...yes he's clueless, but he can be entertaining in small doses. Really if you ever listen to ESPN Radio in an American city there's far worse, Tony is basically just the Italian-Montrealer version of Screaming A. Smith.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
HabsPassion

Completely embarassed to live in Montreal, University of Ottawa can't come any sooner.

HabsPassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:38 PM
triplecitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Completely embarassed to live in Montreal, University of Ottawa can't come any sooner.
Yes, BellMedia's decision is entirely the city of Montreal's fault.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

This is utterly horrible news. How can Montreal not have an all-english sports radio station. how does that make sense? You can nit-pick the quality of TSN 990 all you want, but there's definitely a look of good stuff on there. Obviously it won't be great all day long, and there will be things you find less interesting and thought provoking than others, but name any radio station that's interesting all day long. I personally tune in specifically for Melnick in the Afternoon, and listen to Marinaro occasionally. Butler is great for soccer as well.

And now what? CJAD? This is utter you-know-what.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
http://www.canada.com/sports/autorac...618/story.html

Quote:
The company said part of the reason for the application is CRTC rules that limit the number of stations in each language a company can own in any market. Bell intends to purchase Astral Media, which includes CJAD 800, Virgin 96, and Chom 97.7 FM, but that purchase still must receive approval from the CRTC.
There's your likely answer folks...

Wouldn't shock me at all if they pull a CKAC/98,5 FM and send some of the sports shows to CHOM.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
gusfring

Montreal - not a great sports city. Too bad.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Bullsmith

So Bell buys Astral and the result is that we lose radio stations because one company can only own so many stations, meaning not that we get more companies but instead that we get fewer stations, all owned by one monopoly.

The corporate media monopolies in this country are out of control. We're already paying the highest wifi and cell phone charges in the industrialized world, why wouldn't we want Bell to own everything?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Sounds more like the ribirth of CKAC Sports if you ask me.... Hopefully they can get Jeremy Filosa, Pierre Vercheval, Jacques Theriault, Mathias Brunet, Philippe Cantin, François Gagnon, Dany Dubé and Martin McGuire from all the existing medias (RDS, La Presse, 98,5 fm sports) and not only hockey.

Hopefully TSN also gets a English Radio in Montreal. I like to see the variety of the opinions just like when CKAC was there

I also liked that TSN 990 had some NFL games here and there

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:46 PM
ChoseLa

Good news, having a french radio station all-sport all day, i missed CKAC, even though their shows and hosts sucked hard, it was fun to just turn the radio on and listen to people talking about sport.

For some reason team 990 weren't cuting it for me.

Too bad for english people though. I don't see why there can't be a station for each language, as it used to be.

The victimization of one self in this thread is pathetic though.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
SeriousHabs

Good riddance. Maybe it is badluck, but everytime I listened to TSN990 they wasted my time with coverage of peasant sports like baseball, basketball and the CFL.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
hotcarle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Lyle View Post
This is fantastic news! One less thing for all the whiners on this forum to cry about.

"Tony said this!" "Melnick said that!" "Can you believe what Starr said this morning?!"

I expect the majority of the users on this forum to be very happy with this news. I know I am.
Just because I disagree with what many of the hosts have to say, doesn't mean I am happy that the city's only English language sports station is gone....I expect that the majority of the users of this forum are not happy with this.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Good news, having a french radio station all-sport all day, i missed CKAC, even though their shows and hosts sucked hard, it was fun to just turn the radio on and listen to people talking about sport.

For some reason team 990 weren't cuting it for me.

Too bad for english people though. I don't see why there can't be a station for each language, as it used to be.

The victimization of one self in this thread is pathetic though.
Too bad it didn't cut if for you, Bob Mckenzie, etc...? It cuts it just fine for the Montreal Anglo community which is the size of Columbus Ohio, BTW!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote