HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're the GM! How do you build the Habs for next season? Part 2

Old
07-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
As of right now... Assuming no reasonable trades are available:

Sign huselius (1year), Doan or Semin (2-3yrs top).

Huselius- pleks- gio
Max- DD- cole
Bourque- eller- armie
Prust- white- moen
Nike

Gorges- subban
Markov- emelin
Kaberle - Diaz
Weber

Roll with thAt, if price is at his best, we stay relatively healthy and we get average production/ expectations overall (some above, most average, some below), then we should b a solid 6-7 playoff teAm...

Give it 2-3 years, keep the talent & depth and add the elite skill of gally/Colbert/beaulieu, we could move into top 4 contention very easily.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:08 AM

No Huselius and no Semin. Soft and unmotivated.

Yes to Doan.

Gallagher and Leblanc would be better that the first two.

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:38 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
PPG in AHL, not particularly fantastic but we'll see.
PPG with that team... that was a particularly horrid roster by the end there.

my point was that he's done there, time for him to show what he can do with the big boys

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:05 PM
WhiskeySeven
Bustchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
PPG with that team... that was a particularly horrid roster by the end there.

my point was that he's done there, time for him to show what he can do with the big boys
Good point. Who was the coach and why was the team so bad last year?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Good point. Who was the coach and why was the team so bad last year?
Because a bunch of what should have been ahl players were playing for the nhl team?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:32 AM
TennisMenace

I would try to do the following:
1. Try like heck to trade Gomez, Bourque, and Kaberle
2. I'd try to get a winger that could compliment Pleks
3. I'd find me the biggest baddest fighter out there and hire him for select games
4. I'd keep Louie in the minors to start this season and insist he work out in the weight room
5. No matter what, I would not team Bourque with Pleks - last year convinced me of that. I would even break up our top line if I had to and move Bourque with DD
6. I'd try to get a big stay at home Dman who loves to clear the front of the net so Carey could see

I guess that's all for now. Any questions?
TM

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Because a bunch of what should have been ahl players were playing for the nhl team?
yeah, and the next best players were playing in the juniors. hamilton should be very good this year

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:27 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
yeah, and the next best players were playing in the juniors. hamilton should be very good this year

Fun to watch yes but very good would surprise me especially early on.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:55 AM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Fun to watch yes but very good would surprise me especially early on.
Exactly, you have a bunch of kids who haven't played together yet all turning Pro at the same time with little to no veteran presence as of now.

There'll be a big learning curve, especially at the start of the year.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:17 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
Exactly, you have a bunch of kids who haven't played together yet all turning Pro at the same time with little to no veteran presence as of now.

There'll be a big learning curve, especially at the start of the year.
And this exists for 85% of the AHL teams, so i don't get your point.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Miller Time

Doan- Pleks- Gionta
Maxpac- DD- Cole
Morrow- Eller- Armstrong
Prust- White- Moen
Noke

That would be a nightmare for opposing teams...

Not a fan of giving Doan 6m or >3yrs term, but if we can sign him under that & bring in morrow for Bourque/kaberle or later picks/depth prospects, Bergie will have done a fantastic job turning our fwd group into a very tough opponent.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Doan- Pleks- Gionta
Maxpac- DD- Cole
Morrow- Eller- Armstrong
Prust- White- Moen
Noke

That would be a nightmare for opposing teams...

Not a fan of giving Doan 6m or >3yrs term, but if we can sign him under that & bring in morrow for Bourque/kaberle or later picks/depth prospects, Bergie will have done a fantastic job turning our fwd group into a very tough opponent.
i like this line-up. None of those soft guys like Huselius, Kostitsyn, or Semin.

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:02 AM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
And this exists for 85% of the AHL teams, so i don't get your point.
Issue being even last year we had guys like Willsie and Henry. There's no experience on the blueline which is the hardest position to adapt to when turning pro. Granted, we have a couple guys like Geoffrion and Palushaj but with no premier AHL level veteran offensive talent or no premier AHL experienced D-man, this team will certainly start off slow. We're relying on guys with no experience to be our key guys instead of relying on them to back up veteran guys.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
Issue being even last year we had guys like Willsie and Henry. There's no experience on the blueline which is the hardest position to adapt to when turning pro. Granted, we have a couple guys like Geoffrion and Palushaj but with no premier AHL level veteran offensive talent or no premier AHL experienced D-man, this team will certainly start off slow. We're relying on guys with no experience to be our key guys instead of relying on them to back up veteran guys.
Geoffrion and Palushaj would be premier veteran talent. Nash and possibly St.Denis would be the same on defense.

They may end up signing one or two more.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
clarke19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Geoffrion and Palushaj would be premier veteran talent. Nash and possibly St.Denis would be the same on defense.

They may end up signing one or two more.
I suppose you're right for the offensive talent part. Those were the 2 names I brought up, but the team lacks a strong defensive veteran.

My local team the Ice Caps showed this year just how much you can do with little offensive talent and a strong veteran defensive core. If Hamilton plans to ice all the young kids with St.Denis and Nash being the only veterans, they'll still be rather inexperienced in comparison.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:09 PM
firewagon77*

looks like plekanec could be going to chicago for maybe bolland who played with prust in london and hjalmarsson hopefully bergevin gets back some young talent like hayes,beach or shaw,bergevin must think galyenchuk will be ready to be #1 center next year if he is looking to get rid of plekanec.

firewagon77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:55 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck191 View Post
looks like plekanec could be going to chicago for maybe bolland who played with prust in london and hjalmarsson hopefully bergevin gets back some young talent like hayes,beach or shaw,bergevin must think galyenchuk will be ready to be #1 center next year if he is looking to get rid of plekanec.
Or he want to finish last and go for Mackimmon or Jones. Will worth it in 5 years.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
DAChampion

McKinnon would be worth it from his rookie season on.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:18 PM
The Doors

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole
Brendan Morrow - Tomas Plekanec - Lars Eller
Travis Moen - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - Colby Armstrong
Blake Geoffrion

Andrei Markov - Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Tomas Kaberle - Yanick Weber
Francis Bouillon

Good veteran team with toughness on the wings and dashes of youth.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Erik Cole
Brendan Morrow - Tomas Plekanec - Lars Eller
Travis Moen - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - Colby Armstrong
Blake Geoffrion

Andrei Markov - Alexei Emelin
Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Tomas Kaberle - Yanick Weber
Francis Bouillon

Good veteran team with toughness on the wings and dashes of youth.
Morrow is done
Nokelainen has a 1 way contract.
Id put him over Geoffrion

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Morrow is done
Nokelainen has a 1 way contract.
Id put him over Geoffrion
I don't think he's done. He's working on his back for the upcoming year isn't he? Only one season removed from 82 games played. If he is, he only has one year left on his deal. It's basically the same term and money (cheaper acutally) as signing Jagr. It gets Pleks a veteran winger who's gone (or maybe not) in a year.

Veteran, toughness, dependable two way player. Morrow - Plekanec - Cole/Gionta would be a great veteran line.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
McKinnon would be worth it from his rookie season on.
I see macKinnon in the same class as Yakupov...20-25 goals and 45-50 points if given top 6 ice time as a rookie. Good...but won't carry a team like Crosby.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
I see macKinnon in the same class as Yakupov...20-25 goals and 45-50 points if given top 6 ice time as a rookie. Good...but won't carry a team like Crosby.
Yeah but he will be last piece needed to make Montreal a cup contender. Let's trade Plekanek and Markov for draft picks. They could fetch a 1st round each. Ok they're our best players and it's gonna be a long winter in Montreal next year without them. But imagine having three 1st round and three 2nd rounds in the 2013 draft. We could stack talent at every position.

Our base: Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, Eller, Collberg, Gorges, Emelin, Paccioretty.

Let's dream a little a think that Montreal get a other top 5 pick in 2013, finishing again in the bottom of the league. Add the two first round (let's say between 20 and 30) and three 2nd round.

1st pick: Mackinnon or Jones or Shinkaruk. The two first are no brainer. Let's take Shinkaruk, he's a goal scorer compare to P.Kane.

2nd Pick: Jonathan Drouin. Excellent playmaker. Grit for his size.

3rd pick: Adam Erne. Top 6 power foward.

4th pick : Jordan Subban. Big Potential. Just like is brother but smaller.

With the others two 2nd round you take the BPA.

A couple year from there, our team will look like that.

Paccioretty - Galchenyuk - Shinkaruk
Eller - Drouin - Erne
Collberg - Leblanc - Gallagher

PK Subban - Tinordi
Beaulieu - Gorges
J. Subban - Emelin

Price.

Put heavyweight enforcers on the 4th line and you have a cup contender.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:43 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Yeah but he will be last piece needed to make Montreal a cup contender. Let's trade Plekanek and Markov for draft picks. They could fetch a 1st round each. Ok they're our best players and it's gonna be a long winter in Montreal next year without them. But imagine having three 1st round and three 2nd rounds in the 2013 draft. We could stack talent at every position.

Our base: Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, Eller, Collberg, Gorges, Emelin, Paccioretty.

Let's dream a little a think that Montreal get a other top 5 pick in 2013, finishing again in the bottom of the league. Add the two first round (let's say between 20 and 30) and three 2nd round.

1st pick: Mackinnon or Jones or Shinkaruk. The two first are no brainer. Let's take Shinkaruk, he's a goal scorer compare to P.Kane.

2nd Pick: Jonathan Drouin. Excellent playmaker. Grit for his size.

3rd pick: Adam Erne. Top 6 power foward.

4th pick : Jordan Subban. Big Potential. Just like is brother but smaller.

With the others two 2nd round you take the BPA.

A couple year from there, our team will look like that.

Paccioretty - Galchenyuk - Shinkaruk
Eller - Drouin - Erne
Collberg - Leblanc - Gallagher

PK Subban - Tinordi
Beaulieu - Gorges
J. Subban - Emelin

Price.

Put heavyweight enforcers on the 4th line and you have a cup contender.
Any team with "heavyweight enforcers" on the 4th line isn't a contender for anything at the NHL level. Unless you mean big guys who can hit, fight (when it's needed) and play solid hockey, like Shawn Thornton, or Paul Gaustad (though I really am not that big a fan of his), in which case maybe...but it depends on the guy.

As for your "dream" who in their rihgt mind would dream of another horrible season? I get it...I was fully on board from basically February 1 2012, for the high pick hopes...but hoping for that now? Good lord.

Also, Markov wouldn't fetch a 1st rounder, unless it was deadline time and he'd been playing good hockey all season but in that case A) the team would probably be nowhere near a bottom 5 pick and B) if he's playing well and helping the team work towards the playoffs why on Earth would you trade him.

And, trading Plekanec for just a nameless 1st round pick in a draft (even a supposed deep draft like 2013 is expected to be) is a terrible trade and nowhere near the value you should be hoping to get if you're moving Plekx.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Only thing Crosby carried his team to in his rookie season was 102 points in a goals inflated post lockout season with absurdly high PP numbers.

They finished 29th in the league, with a shocking 58 points. The Habs had the worst season imaginable and got 78. Hell Columbus got 65 this previous season.

I look at a guy like Landeskog in Colorado this past season.

22 goals, 52 points. Helped his team avoid a lottery pick in a season where it was unbelievably vital that they avoid that distinction of "Pulling a Burke". While 20th is nothing to write home about in as competitive a conference and wiht that team embarrassing themselves with their cap usage (and having a very young exciting team in many ways, mind you) it was definitely obvious that Landeskog had a great positive impact on the team.

Who knows what Mackinnon would do on this team next year, but if he put up 20+ goals and 40+ points he'd be a benefit to the team.

It's all for naught though, the Habs weren't a 28th place team this year in any measureable stat except for final number of points. With a bit of luck in the health department they will be competing for a playoff spot next year, and if things fall into place relatively nicely they should be competing for the NE division lead all season.

It cannot be stated enough times how much better this team will be just solely based on having Therrien instead of Cunneyworth. I honestly doubt the Habs finish in even the bottom 10 last year, let alone bottom 3 if they had even just kept Martin on.

I'm not even the biggest Therrien fan (nor was I a hater on any level of Martin) but having an experienced NHL coach, with a proven track record compared to a rookie guy coming into a team that is struggling and has injury issues all the time (not to mention how inepxeirneced the line up the Habs put out last season was) is absolutely huge.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote