HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLV All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Good for Gauthier if true. His inter-personal skills weren't the greatest, but he wasn't as bad as people portray him. He gambled big time on Markov and took it up the rear for not thinking of a backup plan.
It wasn't really a gamble it was a no brainer. If you let Markov walk and have 5.75 mil more of cap room, how are you a better team. Spending that money on Wisniewski would have turned into Gomez II. There was no UFA that could potentially replace Markov.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Andy

The gamble was assuming having a healthy Markov from the get go and not signing a back up plan.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
ChrisKuc:
Former Canadiens, Senators and Ducks GM Pierre Gauthier is at #Blackhawks prospect camp. Watched from stands next to coach Joel Quenneville.

https://twitter.com/chriskuc/status/222725716192665600

RIP Blackhawks.
As a Pro Scout I dont see the harm

He had some good trades as Sens/Ducks GM.. Not sure what to gauge of his time in Mtl (I dont believe he was the guy to blame for Gomez deal ,,, No offense to Mtl media but there stories about him as soon as he was fired portraying him as all to blame and Gainey free of blame didn't seem honest or accurate to me.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

He had some good trades as Sens/Ducks GM.. Not sure what to gauge of his time in Mtl (I dont believe he was the guy to blame for Gomez deal ,,, No offense to Mtl media but there stories about him as soon as he was fired portraying him as all to blame and Gainey free of blame didn't seem honest or accurate to me.
Gauthier is a weirdo, but he's a proven NHL level executive.

All of the hating on him here is hilarious.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
The gamble was assuming having a healthy Markov from the get go and not signing a back up plan.
Bingo.

Chris Campoli.

Seriously.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

Trades to nowhere are a specialty of Gauthier. Like Sergei Kostitsyn(the now-better behaved of the two brothers) for Dustin Boyd and Dan Ellis. Yes, some trades were decent, but trades to nowhere were more prevalent.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Well he was Gainey's right hand man for his entire tenure as either Director of Pro Scouting then both Assistant GM and Director of Pro Scouting. There is nothing wrong with believing he had little to no input in the bad deals Gainey made just like there is nothing wrong with thinking he had a lot of input and a share of the blame.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
shutehinside

Quote:

Why don't you believe he was the guy to blame for the Gomez deal? He was the guy in charge of pro scouting at the time. His opinion was absolutely used to determine whether Gomez would be a good fit with the Habs. Not blaming, at least partially is willfull blindness. I can see why considering he's about to poison your team and your hopeful it won't happen but sorry to disappoint you. He's a weirdo and lost all touch and has literally no respect around the league. Really surprised to see him with the Blackhawks, more so if they actually hire him in any position of authority.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Campoli was the back up plan.

You can't replace Markov, it's ridiculous to say you need a back up plan...what we needed was the medical team to do a better job and have him on the ice in September instead of March.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Why don't you believe he was the guy to blame for the Gomez deal? He was the guy in charge of pro scouting at the time. His opinion was absolutely used to determine whether Gomez would be a good fit with the Habs. Not blaming, at least partially is willfull blindness. I can see why considering he's about to poison your team and your hopeful it won't happen but sorry to disappoint you. He's a weirdo and lost all touch and has literally no respect around the league. Really surprised to see him with the Blackhawks, more so if they actually hire him in any position of authority.
What does pro scouting have to do with Gomez being horribly overpaid? Do you think Gainey needed Gauthier to tell him Gomez had a near 7.5 mil cap hit?

Old
07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Campoli was the back up plan.

You can't replace Markov, it's ridiculous to say you need a back up plan...what we needed was the medical team to do a better job and have him on the ice in September instead of March.
You're right, Markov is hard to replace, however, you can aleviate the burden of his loss a lot easier by having a Hamrlik type (Hamrlik in his first few years here) type of defense than having Campoli fill in temporarily.

The defense was Gauthier's biggest error and it got him fired in the long-run because of the series of consequences that occured by not having a stable and solid backend.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
What does pro scouting have to do with Gomez being horribly overpaid? Do you think Gainey needed Gauthier to tell him Gomez had a near 7.5 mil cap hit?
Gauthier probably sold Gainey with the "well, he's paid a lot, but he's worth it because he gives us everything we need. Even if he doesn't produce as much as we would like, he provides us with the best deal".

Old
07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
It has nothing at all with Gomez being overpaid in the least. Nor did I say that.

What I did say, if you bothered to read my post, which you obviously didn't and have a habit of not doing, is that it should have prevented Gomez from ever being traded here in the first place. I'll highlight the process before you misread my post, again, and bastardized it.

Gainey: hey Goats, I have Sather on the phone and he wants to trade Gomez for some prospects and players.

Goat: that sounds like a great idea! I've been watching him since he got signed by New York at the many games I've been paid to scout for and I like the cut of his jib! You should definately make that trade.

Gainey: thanks you Goat, you're a great pro scout and I'm happy I have you on bored to assess these pro players as it is your job to do. Thanks for giving me the go ahead based on your assessment to make this trade. I'll call Sather back and tell him it's a go.

Ring ring ring

Sather: Hello?

Gainey: we've encoded to take your offer

Sather: great move, I'll fax over the papers immediately (maniacal laugh after hanging up)

Old
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You're right, Markov is hard to replace, however, you can aleviate the burden of his loss a lot easier by having a Hamrlik type (Hamrlik in his first few years here) type of defense than having Campoli fill in temporarily.

The defense was Gauthier's biggest error and it got him fired in the long-run because of the series of consequences that occured by not having a stable and solid backend.
Who exctly was out there last year as a Hamrlik-type?

Hamrlik himself would have been no better than Campoli, he's a #4 guy on a good day and #5 or 6 the rest of the time. Throwing a pile of money to Wisniewski may have helped short term but hurt a lot long term.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Gauthier probably sold Gainey with the "well, he's paid a lot, but he's worth it because he gives us everything we need. Even if he doesn't produce as much as we would like, he provides us with the best deal".
Must be why Gainey went after lecavalier and Sundin first...

So it's Gauthier's fault for Gainey trading for Gomez because he sold Gainey on Sundin and then Lecavalier?

Old
07-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

•St. Louis Blues: The St. Louis Blues have traded forward B.J. Crombeen and their 2014 5th round draft pick to the Tampa Bay Lightning for their 2013 and 2014 4th round picks.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Must be why Gainey went after lecavalier and Sundin first...

So it's Gauthier's fault for Gainey trading for Gomez because he sold Gainey on Sundin and then Lecavalier?
It's hard to gauge whose idea is whose when dealing with a team. There was probably a lot of back and forth until they came to a consensus: get Gomez.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Andy

Official:

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc
Former Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier has joined #Blackhawks as Director of Player Personnel.

Good for Gauthier.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Official:

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc
Former Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier has joined #Blackhawks as Director of Player Personnel.

Good for Gauthier.
I'm happy for the guy, anyone who raises the ire of the main-stream media (who haven't the balls to actually come out and say what was so wrong about Gauthier) is okay in my book. That said from what we do know of his regime, he wasn't fit to run the organization.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Belso

There isn't one thing I like about Gauthier.. Not one. Not one.. I don't care where he ends up as long as it has nothing to do with the Habs...

Old
07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Et le But

Gauthier was a poor head GM but the rabid hate is ridiculous, kind of funny seeing him get a job right away after all the 'experts' around here claimed he'd never work in the NHL again.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

We traded Gauthier for Bergevin. Cool.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Stan Bowman is a terrible GM. Dale Tallon built the Stanley Cup team, ever since then the team has been going down, and now Gauthier... (i just puked in my mouth)

Old
07-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Pretty much this.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Gauthier is a weirdo, but he's a proven NHL level executive.

All of the hating on him here is hilarious.
He's a goofball- not effective-- no hate but let him act goofy on some other organization
Hawk players--. Get used to. No cheese!!! Lol

Closed Thread