HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs back to CJAD

Old
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Great news!!!! We are going to have a sports radio in french. Sound financial decision by Bell. Really happy. I hope we dont hear Mitch Melnik anymore!!!

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:53 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
seriously, what the hell are you talking about? not listened to? you have no clue.

just because you might listening to 245 hours of why Darche was not re-signed etc.. does not mean you need to make false accusations about tsn990.

tsn990 had better guests, more insight than RDS, TVA and all the other franco media put together...
It was listened to but it didn't have a huge amount of people listening to it. I never talked about the quality of the show, and i'm not a fan of the french media (sportwise).

Some people are trying to make it sound like it was the equivalent of Cirque du Soleil for the exposure of Montreal.

I sincerly wish it can be saved.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Great news!!!! We are going to have a sports radio in french. Sound financial decision by Bell. Really happy. I hope we dont hear Mitch Melnik anymore!!!
LOL thanks for the insight Pat.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
i never knew the habs even left cjad in the first place..?

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
LOL thanks for the insight Pat.
No problem Dave!!! What a great news!!!

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Habarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Yhea. Because moving from 1x Sport Radio station to 1x is really what proves we are a lousy sports town.
You/WE are BY FAR the worst sports town in North America ... and it's not even close.

Other than your love for the Canadiens, what else do Montrealers support ...sports wise? Think about it for a second

Had professional Lacrosse team and lost it

No baseball any more

No basketball

You have the CFL and most of you mock the game and once the Als stop winning I hate to imagine what the crowds will be up on the mountain

Joey Saputo builds a new stadium and brings the MLS to town and he can barely get 18K to the games

A city this size and even Junior Hockey can not survive here for more than 2 or 3 seasons (several tries at this)

and I can go on and on .... just a pathetic sports town.

But losing the radio station has nothing to do with this ..... I hope we can do something to save English Sports Radio in this city ..... just crushing news

Habarazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Paul Dipietro

Traffic was bearable with the Morning Show and Melnick in the Afternoon. I shudder to think of being stuck an hour apiece with the likes of Le Baron, Frederic Plante, Yanick Bouchard, F-E Corbin and co

I guess when the day comes I'll go back to being serenaded by the androgynous Justin Bieber every 15 minutes on Virgin Radio

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I don't know, every times i switched to the station they were talking about golf or whatnot, i never got to hear Bobby Mac on the station.

But it doesn't matter, i'm just saying i'm happy we got a new station, and it's too bad english people have to loose one.

And Quebecers shouldn't be blamed for your loss, keep it real people.
Yea.. instead of Bobby Mac, Darren Dregger, Pierre Mcguire, Elliotte Friedman, Bill Lee, Pierre LeBrun.. You'll get to listen to Gaston Therrien.

Good for you.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Traffic was bearable with the Morning Show and Melnick in the Afternoon. I shudder to think of being stuck an hour apiece with the likes of Le Baron, Frederic Plante, Yanick Bouchard, F-E Corbin and co

I guess when the day comes I'll go back to being serenaded by the androgynous Justin Bieber every 15 minutes on Virgin Radio
buy an ipod cord for your car....

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxN View Post
Yea.. instead of Bobby Mac, Darren Dregger, Pierre Mcguire, Elliotte Friedman, Bill Lee, Pierre LeBrun.. You'll get to listen to Gaston Therrien.

Good for you.
What's the problem with that? I think we don't have enougn news of Jonathan Brunelle. At least now we'll have a regular update.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
penaltykiller

I think that the fact that TSN 990 had a small range for the antenna did not help at all. I live in Sherbrooke ( 90 minutes of montreal) and i could not even listen to them. I was really looking forward for their change to the 690 frequency.

It sucks for the diversity of sports in Montreal and in Quebec. I enjoy having the option to go from RDS to TVA sports to TSN and Sportsnet on TV and i really wished i could do the same on the radio...

RDS getting more power is just terrible.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
I think that the fact that TSN 990 had a small range for the antenna did not help at all. I live in Sherbrooke ( 90 minutes of montreal) and i could not even listen to them. I was really looking forward for their change to the 690 frequency.

It sucks for the diversity of sports in Montreal and in Quebec. I enjoy having the option to go from RDS to TVA sports to TSN and Sportsnet on TV and i really wished i could do the same on the radio...

RDS getting more power is just terrible.
What are you talking about? I caught TSN 990 in Ottawa and even sometimes catch it in Toronto

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
penaltykiller

Really ? My bad then. I must say that i tried to get that station many times and it did not work. Maybe their radio waves did not travel well south or my radio sucked.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
Really ? My bad then. I must say that i tried to get that station many times and it did not work. Maybe their radio waves did not travel well south or my radio sucked.
Maybe you had a giant obstacle in your way

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Get lost. This is happening because CRTC has a mandate of forcing Bell to have a maximum of 3 stations in English in the same market. It's not because a lack of support.
Face it people, nobody really listened to TSN 990 (CKGM).

According to the latest BBM survey, they had a 3.3% share of the English Montreal radio audience, and a 0,1% share of the (much bigger) franco audience.

In real numbers, using spring 2011 results, CKAC's audience was four to five times bigger.

You can get all ratings information here at bbm.ca.

I'd be curious to know if the same ownership rules apply outside Québec, 3 english stations maximum per owner?

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Sad news. We could easily have TSN 990 and RDS 690 coexist (no matter what the CRTC says).

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxN View Post

Good for you.
French media also have some great analyst not as great the ones on the english media, but still better then Gaston Therrien. Mathias Brunet, Philippe Cantin, François Gagnon, Dany Dubé and Martin McGuire, even Pierre LeBrun sometime appears on RDS once in a while. Sure they're not the same caliber but most of the times, the guys I showed you have very interesting points that aren't spoken of in the english media on different subjects. Although it's still sad for you english guys that you lose your radio like we lost CKAC a few months ago.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Hugo Sham

if you care you can get involved here...read article and scroll to bottom for info on hearings

http://blog.fagstein.com/

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Bell wants to challenge Videotron for the French demography, so it makes sense to have a RDS Radio 990.

I guess it came down to choosing between CJAD and TSN 990, and they chose CJAD.
Yes, they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally94 View Post
Sad news. We could easily have TSN 990 and RDS 690 coexist (no matter what the CRTC says).
Not if they wanted to keep CJAD. 23% share of anglophone listeners on CJAD vs 3% share for TSN.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What's the problem with that? I think we don't have enougn news of Jonathan Brunelle. At least now we'll have a regular update.
So you prefer to listen to Gaston Therrien?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Seems the advocates for this are not pro quality. RDS on the radio will be worse than RDS on TV.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
So you prefer to listen to Gaston Therrien?
Can't wait to hear how he'll break down hockey plays *without* his touchscreen

Old
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Seems the advocates for this are not pro quality. RDS on the radio will be worse than RDS on TV.
Can you imagine if RDS 990 actually becomes the "farm" for RDS TV hosts? Every day will be improv night at the comedy shack

Old
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
walsy37

As an Anglo former Montrealer, I am very sad to hear this. Team 990 was one of the ways I kept in touch with Montreal sports and the station I listened to whenever I visited.

Last edited by hototogisu: 07-10-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: stay on-topic
walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would've said they should just start again as Team ---, but they wouldn't be able to interview TSN insiders and other people since they would still be employed by Bell and Bell might not want to support that new station indirectly.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote