HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Voracek signed a multi-year pact (4 years, $17m per media reports; updates in #107)

Old
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
He deserves JVR money. Didn't Homer also say he was close to signing Carle? And Jagr? I think Voracek is better than JVR and Foligno.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
FadeToBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Could they get him 6 years 3.75-4.00m? Why let him build more value? I feel comfortable Voracek is at least a 40-50 point player who brings other good things too, and he can stay healthy...Voracek only missed 9 games in his first 4 NHL seasons.
Why the hell would he sign for 6 years? V probably wants a 2-3 year, 4 per contract. He'll probably get 4 at 4 or just under 4.

FadeToBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:56 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Come on Voracek sign a contract doesnt matter for what cause once you sign your gone to the ducks in the package for bobby ryan..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:16 PM
thephillyflu

Am I the only one who thinks it's only a matter of time before Voracek becomes a big impact player? I think he's one of the best kept secrets in the NHL (well not by flyers fans of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEzuDs_l_yY

I mean there are loads of top notch passing plays there, I'm talking Forsberg/Oates/Giroux-like vision. And he's fast, big, strong, a great dribbler and puck-carrier, and he is Jeff Carter or Evgeni Malkin-good at shielding the puck with his inner leg at high speeds - combined with the long reach and stick making it impossible almost to take the puck from him if you get as much as 4 inches behind, good in tight spots at high speed, and also he's always making an effort, with or without the puck he drives the net, and he stands in the goalies face when needed to redirect pucks. He also forechecks and backchecks hard.

Continuing on the "making an effort" subject, he ain't half-bad defensively actually (especially for being a dangling Eastern European). Comparing him to the NHL average for forwards, I'd say he's average or more probably even above average defensively already and there's obviously room for improvement. Seeing this good defensive play from a 22-year old offensive prospect makes me think he'll become a player with much bigger defensive responsibilities in due time.

Also let's not forget that he can play really good as a D on our PP, which I think will show a really valuable asset seeing as Kimmo is the only good PP blueliner we have unless (hopefully until) Meszaros and/or Coburn turn their offense around, or Gustafsson gets an unexpected breakthrough.

But of course Voracek has his glaring downsides, if he'd just be average at everything I haven't mentioned yet he'd already be a star. First off, he doesn't play physical, he doesn't hit hard or good at all. And he seems to only have better balance than most at high speeds, in static offensive zone play it gets pretty obvious that he's actually way below average along the boards and shielding the puck there. That's were many great playmakers like Jagr and Forsberg excelled. They could twist and turn a little, muscling out the opponents and then make a play. Voracek not so much. Actually surprisingly little considering he's impossible to knock off the puck while blazing through the neutral zone.

And his shot. His slapshot is bad. But his wrist shot is ridiculously pathetic, sadly. But that's something you can work on, using the Forsberg example again - he couldn't shoot for **** when he came to the NHL, but got better and better until he retired.

I'm all for a long term deal for this kid, I mean he's already top6-top9 borderline material. I think he'll play himself into a steady spot on the top 6 pretty soon, and I don't want to have to pay him the top 6 on a top team money then. Let's sign him now, because this season I think he'll have a breakthrough, big or small I don't know but I see loads of potential.

Last edited by thephillyflu: 07-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.
thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephillyflu View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's only a matter of time before Voracek becomes a big impact player? I think he's one of the best kept secrets in the NHL (well not by flyers fans of course).
Nope. I was really looking forward to the possibility of Him, Giroux and JVR on the same line in the near future. That would've been a real handful.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:23 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
You're not alone. That's why I and many others feel trading Voracek + for Bobby Ryan isn't a good move. Voracek's speed, passing, defense, and size can make him a big time player. If he can really work on his shot this off season he can be an even bigger threat.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
curtisinpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
You're not alone. That's why I and many others feel trading Voracek + for Bobby Ryan isn't a good move. Voracek's speed, passing, defense, and size can make him a big time player. If he can really work on his shot this off season he can be an even bigger threat.
Yeah I'm a firm believer that Voracek is a one wrist shot away from being a star in this league. The fact that he isn't a good checker isn't a problem, he battles and works hard physically to make up for that.

I wish Voracek could somehow get some lessons from Alexei Kovalev, then we'd be in business.

curtisinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:01 PM
thephillyflu

Edited my earlier short post into a long one.

But what's the fans general take on Voracek? Seeing as how they have ripped apart Matt Carle for the same weaknesses (weak along boards aka bad balance (is balance the right word in English?) and having a weak shot) you would guess Voracek could get a tough time, but as he's much bigger and much younger and therefore still can become at least average in those departments, does he get a break?

I myself think Voracek can overcome the weaker parts of his game, and that they are less of a problem for a winger, but I don't know what others might think. And I myself think that Carle while having all of Voraceks weaknesses also had a few more glaring ones like brainfarts/overconfidence, below average positioning skills and a small frame.

thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:33 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Edited my earlier short post into a long one.

But what's the fans general take on Voracek? Seeing as how they have ripped apart Matt Carle for the same weaknesses (weak along boards aka bad balance (is balance the right word in English?) and having a weak shot) you would guess Voracek could get a tough time, but as he's much bigger and much younger and therefore still can become at least average in those departments, does he get a break?

I myself think Voracek can overcome the weaker parts of his game, and that they are less of a problem for a winger, but I don't know what others might think. And I myself think that Carle while having all of Voraceks weaknesses also had a few more glaring ones like brainfarts/overconfidence, below average positioning skills and a small frame.
Voracek has really REALLY good balance (probably b/c he's such a naturally gifted skater)

He isn't a punishing hitter or anything, and hes not huge, but he's very tough to knock off his skates.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Reaper1097

Ideally I would love to see voracek signed to a deal around 5 years, 18 mil. I think it is a pretty fair deal for his level of production. It is a 60% raise over his last contract and will give the flyers some payroll flexibility. I dont know if both sides would agree to this length or amount of money but I think it would be a fair deal for both sides...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:10 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I'll go 14.5 over 4 yrs - then take it from there.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:55 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Purcell just got 3 years with a 4.5 mill cap hit

Wish we signed Jake earlier

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

Thats not good. Every day Homer waits is causing his price to go higher.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

Purcell would have become an ufa next summer if he hadn't signed that extension though, so it's not quite the same situation.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Thats not good. Every day Homer waits is causing his price to go higher.
Purcell just scored 65 points in a season, including 25 goals. Of course he was going to get paid.

Voracek can't claim to have done either. This isn't bad news at all.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:51 AM
thelos
Bunk

Yeah that contract at least sets an upper limit for Voracek. He can't really ask for more than like 4.25 mil unless it is a long deal

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Purcell just scored 65 points in a season, including 25 goals. Of course he was going to get paid.
Freakin teddy, I think he scored half his goals against the flyers, i don't like him

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I remember Purcell when he was in Manchester. Never thought he would turn into a player that would earn that kind of contract.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I remember Purcell when he was in Manchester. Never thought he would turn into a player that would earn that kind of contract.
I never thought anyone with the name Teddy could become a good hockey player

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Purcell would have become an ufa next summer if he hadn't signed that extension though, so it's not quite the same situation.
This. When you buy out UFA years on an extension, you get it only slightly below the true market value of the player. Jake has several RFA years left, so an extension for him will definitely not look like what Purcell got unless it includes multiple years of unrestricted free agency with it.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I never thought anyone with the name Teddy could become a good hockey player
well there is this as well.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Voracek can't claim to have done either. This isn't bad news at all.
Teddy had a career year last year. But Jake is more consistent. Jake has a .57 career ppg, Teddy is at .55, .44 before last year. They're not that different, if anything I would say Jake is better.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Freakin teddy, I think he scored half his goals against the flyers, i don't like him
Good ole Newfoundland boy. I'm happy for him.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

I think that we're looking at closer to $3.75-4m now. This is what I'm saying, by taking longer we're giving Voracek's agent more ammo and caparables to ask for more money.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
I think that we're looking at closer to $3.75-4m now. This is what I'm saying, by taking longer we're giving Voracek's agent more ammo and caparables to ask for more money.
Voracek has never scored more than 18 goals in any of the seasons he's been in the NHL and he's never had more than 50 points in a single season. He's not getting 3.75 to 4 million bucks a year. He'll be lucky if he gets 3 to 3.5 a year. He's probably looking at a two or a three year deal at the most.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote