HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does our prospects rate against the rest of the NHL?

View Poll Results: How do we rate?
Top 5 1 2.08%
Top 10 1 2.08%
Top 15 4 8.33%
Bottom 15 21 43.75%
Bottom 10 18 37.50%
Bottom 5 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
  #1
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
How does our prospects rate against the rest of the NHL?

I have heard a few times that the cupboards are bare as it pertains to prospects. Is that a fair assessment? How do we rate?

Top 5?
Top 10?
Top 15?
Bottom 15?
Bottom 10?
Bottom 5?

I can't find the option to start a poll

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
  #2
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,532
vCash: 69
It's getting stronger but I say bottom 15 ATM

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
  #3
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
It's getting stronger but I say bottom 15 ATM
right now is a tough time to ask that question. A lot will change between now and the end of preseason when we have real strong handle on the talent level of our prospects, who's taken steps forward, who's lost their window, etc etc.


That aside, I'd say were in the bottom 15 to bottom 10, probably between 18-22. We've gotten better, but i really think we've still got some work to do. I think after the 2012 draft, we'll ourselves take a big jump forward

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:50 PM
  #4
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Trouba went where he was projected
Sutter was drafted ahead of where he was projected
Kosmarchuk (sp) went later than expected
The two goalies were totally off the board.

A lot will depend on the development of the last two drafts players but right now I would imagine we are in the bottom 5 for prospects (players not in the NHL). If you add in Kane/Burmistrov/Bogosian we are probably a lot higher.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
  #5
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,294
vCash: 1250
I voted bottom 15 but feel they've improved the depth greatly from a near bare cupboard not that long ago. Running their own AHL team (versus the previous indie route the Thrashers took) will also help in the long run, as having your players coached the same systems across the board allows a for more seamless integration of players from the minors.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
  #6
TroubaFan1
Registered User
 
TroubaFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
I like what Chevy has done. But i still think we are in the lower half of the league in prospects.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
  #7
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 50
I went bottom 10, but on thinking it over a bit, I'd probably say bottom 15.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
  #8
Aerial
Registered User
 
Aerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Corey Pronman has us at 23, which seems about right.

IMO, we're definitely in the bottom 10 of the league. It's slowly getting better but prior to the 2011 draft, we had very, very little in the prospect cupboard -- I mean it was like Klingberg, Cormier, Machacek, with Postma still really raw. Not to throw shade on any of those guys but when they're the top names in your prospect pool (and then a whole lot of nothin'), there's some work to be done.

The good news is that Telegin has taken off and Pasquale really raised his stock last season, plus our last two drafts netted us Trouba and Scheifele who stayed / will stay prospects for awhile. Now we just keep building on that, developing the kids slowly and it'll get deeper.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
  #9
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Corey Pronman has us at 23, which seems about right.

IMO, we're definitely in the bottom 10 of the league. It's slowly getting better but prior to the 2011 draft, we had very, very little in the prospect cupboard -- I mean it was like Klingberg, Cormier, Machacek, with Postma still really raw. Not to throw shade on any of those guys but when they're the top names in your prospect pool (and then a whole lot of nothin'), there's some work to be done.

The good news is that Telegin has taken off and Pasquale really raised his stock last season, plus our last two drafts netted us Trouba and Scheifele who stayed / will stay prospects for awhile. Now we just keep building on that, developing the kids slowly and it'll get deeper.
agreed.

I'd say we arguably had the worst prospect pool in the league when we got the team (maybe not the worst, but bottom 5). we had only 1 of the previous 2 years top 4 selections int he pool (1st/2nd rounders) which greatly reduces your high end talent available.

It was absolutely horrible before, but now it just seems "bad". I think one thing is our draft picks will often take longer to look sexy, as we seemed to stick to "safer" players then high risk/reward types, which generally seem to score better with scouts in at around when their drafted, but fall dramatically within 2 years.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:22 PM
  #10
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
The problem with our prospects is that Atlanta got hosed for Kovalchuk. They should have easily obtained multiple first round selections from New Jersey, their top prospect or two. This guy was in his prime and all we got out of it was...

Cormier
2 - 2nd rounders (Oduya)
Bergfors who is in the KHL
1st rounder I beleive we dealt.

Cheveldayoff has a lot of work to do but I believe he is on the right track. I just wish he would sign more of my suggested FA's instead of just Montoya

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
  #11
hockeyarena
Registered User
 
hockeyarena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 509
vCash: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
The problem with our prospects is that Atlanta got hosed for Kovalchuk. They should have easily obtained multiple first round selections from New Jersey, their top prospect or two. This guy was in his prime and all we got out of it was...

Cormier
2 - 2nd rounders (Oduya)
Bergfors who is in the KHL
1st rounder I beleive we dealt.

Cheveldayoff has a lot of work to do but I believe he is on the right track. I just wish he would sign more of my suggested FA's instead of just Montoya
Absolutely, plus we traded Brayden Coburn for Alexei Zhitnik haha...Chevy and new management have definately turned the ship around. Very impressed so far.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
  #12
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,325
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Bottom 15 still a work in progress and after the 2013 draft i could see us moving up a bunch with all the draft picks well have in that draft.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  #13
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 264
Looking at it based on higher end talent, it's bottom 10. Two elite guys in Trouba and Scheifele, and two guys with top 6/top 4 potential in Telegin and Postma. After that, there's a glut of players who should crack be able to crack the NHL in depth roles, and then a bunch of lottery tickets.

The depth of our pool is looking much better though, and IMO is pretty comparable to the average team. I think Holden mentioned this in another thread, the Jets NCAA wildcards and older prospects with low ceilings (eg. Maxwell) are getting pushed down the list, which is a good thing.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  #14
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 495
HF had us in the bottom 5 prior to last year. I can't see us jumping up a ton. Sure, the draft added talent, but so did the other 29 teams and all of the new prospects are years away. Scheifele, Telegin and Trouba are carrying the prospect pool right now.

We are still among the bottom 10, but getting better.

If we sign someone like Joey Leach and hit one an undrafted player, things will get better.

There are a ton of interesting developmental pieces, but developmental players are a crap shoot.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
  #15
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 2209
I won't answer this question as there are too many variables. I will, however, tackle a more tangible problem and go down to the beach, grab a handful of sand, and assess how those grains collectively rate compared to the rest of the grains on that beach.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:37 PM
  #16
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 50
If we keep Scheif out of the NHL this year and our picks at next years draft we could be in good shape by next fall. Of course that depends on how this years prospects develop.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
  #17
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Looking at it based on higher end talent, it's bottom 10. Two elite guys in Trouba and Scheifele, and two guys with top 6/top 4 potential in Telegin and Postma. After that, there's a glut of players who should crack be able to crack the NHL in depth roles, and then a bunch of lottery tickets.

The depth of our pool is looking much better though, and IMO is pretty comparable to the average team. I think Holden mentioned this in another thread, the Jets NCAA wildcards and older prospects with low ceilings (eg. Maxwell) are getting pushed down the list, which is a good thing.
Exactly, the lack of high end talent and the newness (aka risk) of players that looks like they have a chance (Trouba / Lowry / Kos / Sutter) really weighs things down.

If we consider Burmi, Kane and Bogo as prospects that are playing in the NHL (which isn't really a stretch) the team isn't in that bad of a spot, but as is we need just about everybody to pan out before we will have true depth.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:44 PM
  #18
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
HF had us in the bottom 5 prior to last year. I can't see us jumping up a ton. Sure, the draft added talent, but so did the other 29 teams and all of the new prospects are years away. Scheifele, Telegin and Trouba are carrying the prospect pool right now.

We are still among the bottom 10, but getting better.

If we sign someone like Joey Leach and hit one an undrafted player, things will get better.

There are a ton of interesting developmental pieces, but developmental players are a crap shoot.
I won't pretend to know what happened with all 29 other organization and their prospects, therefore take this with a grain of salt, but I think some nice things happened to the Jets prospect pool over the course of a year. Namely:

-Telegin had a quantum leap in his game
-Machacek really rescued his stock, at this time last year he was looking to be behind the curve in terms of development
-emergence of Eddie Pasquale
-Lowry and Yuen had impressive years, I'd go as far as saying better than expected

Also consider that the Jets didn't "graduate" anyone in their pipeline this year, and therefore didn't deplete their already shallow depth.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
  #19
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
I won't answer this question as there are too many variables. I will, however, tackle a more tangible problem and go down to the beach, grab a handful of sand, and assess how those grains collectively rate compared to the rest of the grains on that beach.
That is exactly the point. There are less variables in a good prospect pool.

More high end players that are closer to NHL ready.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
  #20
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Huberdeau
Markstrom
Bjugstad
Howden
Petrovic
Grimaldi
vs.
Scheifele
Klingberg
Trouba
Postma
Cormier
Telegin

I think FLA is loaded with prospects and we seem to match up not too bad with the top six. But I agree with most that we need to improve depth which is what Chevy is doing.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:59 PM
  #21
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I won't pretend to know what happened with all 29 other organization and their prospects, therefore take this with a grain of salt, but I think some nice things happened to the Jets prospect pool over the course of a year. Namely:

-Telegin had a quantum leap in his game
-Machacek really rescued his stock, at this time last year he was looking to be behind the curve in terms of development
-emergence of Eddie Pasquale
-Lowry and Yuen had impressive years, I'd go as far as saying better than expected

Also consider that the Jets didn't "graduate" anyone in their pipeline this year, and therefore didn't deplete their already shallow depth.
I agree on Yuen and Lowry. They impressed me, but Yuen and Lowry are still far enough away that I don't think it makes a huge difference. I am optimistic.

I was really high on Telegin last year, but he far far surpassed my expectations. He and Eddie P. were the brightest spots IMO. Another big plus.

Jason Gregoire was a little disappointing. As was letting FPW walk.

Machecek is still Machacek IMO and I am lower on Klingberg than I was.

Definitely a net improvement, but I am not sure how much. Hopefully our new guys continue to surge.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
  #22
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Well I would say Kane/Bogosian and Burmistrov had strong development. Kane showed glimpses of Top 3 foward, Bogosian overlal improved in all aspects and Burmistrov has great skating/stick handling and will continue to develop when given a chance on the Power Play which I don't understand why he doesn't play on the point.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
  #23
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,352
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
Well I would say Kane/Bogosian and Burmistrov had strong development. Kane showed glimpses of Top 3 foward, Bogosian overlal improved in all aspects and Burmistrov has great skating/stick handling and will continue to develop when given a chance on the Power Play which I don't understand why he doesn't play on the point.
Most don't consider them to be prospects anymore. When they say the cupboards are bare, they aren't counting those guys.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
  #24
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
I voted bottom 10. We lack top end and quality depth in the system. The last 2 drafts have done a lot to help improve the prospect pool, but they'll also need more time to continue their development.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
  #25
peg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 444
vCash: 50
I have no clue how we rate compared to other teams, but looking 2 to 3 years out, is this a team that can compete? By the way, we seem to have a lot of centers in our depth chart.

Kane Scheifele Wheeler
Telegin Burmistrov Machacek
Ladd Little Cormier
Klingberg Slater Kosmachuk
Sutter

Bogosian Byfuglien
Enstrom Trouba
Kulda Postma
Stuart

Pavelec
Pasquale

Taking a second look at this, I would move Little up to the second line and have Burmistrov on the wing. Cormier would center the third line with Machacek on the right wing.

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.