HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part IX): Generic Thread Title Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
nsvoyageurs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Nash injured? Come on..

Rick Nash' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Rick Nash counted to infinity - twice.

Rick Nash does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Rick Nash goes killing.

If you can see Rick Nash, he can see you. If you can't see Rick Nash you may be only seconds away from death.

Rick Nash sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Rick Nash.

Rick Nash built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Rick Nash met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.

Rick Nash has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.

They once made a Rick Nash toilet paper, but it wouldn't take ***** from anybody.

A blind man once stepped on Rick Nash' shoe. Chuck replied, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Rick Nash!" The mere mention of his name cured this man blindness. Sadly the first, last, and only thing this man ever saw, was a fatal roundhouse delivered by Rick Nash.

**Stolen from the Chuck Norris jokes - hence why "Chuck" appears.

Oh and Stugots, please do not take this post literally. How was the beach, yesterday, Pizza?
This could also be referring to the Dos Equis guy.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I completely agree.

Further, people compare output of like 2-3 players with what we could get in return for said players in a trade (for example Nash). That's not what it is about.

We as a team can be shut down if we are played perfectly. An elite offensive player cannot be shut down, he is a force "basically" every shift.

That's what we miss more than anything else. We don't even lack scoring over the course of a season. But we lack offense when for example playing NJD in the POs for sure. And with offense I am including just getting the puck up ice and putting the team we play against on their heels. We definitely lack that.
I think we disagree on what elite is. To me Nash is not elite. Damn good maybe, not elite.

To me it would be easier to focus on one player and shut him down than on 2 or even three players and do the same.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Exactly, we have talent I'm not knocking the team there. But our talent isn't scary outside of say Gaborik and Richards, and if Richards doesn't have someone who can put the puck in the net on his line you just shut him down and the entire line becomes ineffective.

Now add a player like Rick Nash, or Bobby Ryan, or whoever I'm not getting hung up on names those are just two available. With the players we have that gives you a nice 1-2 punch, a tough line to shut down of say Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik and an equally tough line of Nash - Richards - Callahan.
Add Hagelin - AA - Miller and Rupp - Boyle - Pyatt with Halpern and Asham as spares, and yes, that looks good! But we cannot get Nash for only Dubinsky +

Old
07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ure_nhl_teams/

As Kenny Rogers sang

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Don't worry Scotty,Slats will give you a job when Columbus fires you.

If you had to compare Howson to a baseball player it would be this guy.......

I know someone else will get a nice nostalgic feeling here!

Old
07-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I think we disagree on what elite is. To me Nash is not elite. Damn good maybe, not elite.

To me it would be easier to focus on one player and shut him down than on 2 or even three players and do the same.
Rick Nash poses a matchup problem. He's big and talented. Players like him open up room down the lineup and on the ice because teams need to key in on him. Creating mismatches is a big advantage.

Old
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Nash injured? Come on..

Rick Nash' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Rick Nash counted to infinity - twice.

Rick Nash does not hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. Rick Nash goes killing.

If you can see Rick Nash, he can see you. If you can't see Rick Nash you may be only seconds away from death.

Rick Nash sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Rick Nash.

Rick Nash built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Rick Nash met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.

Rick Nash has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.

They once made a Rick Nash toilet paper, but it wouldn't take ***** from anybody.

A blind man once stepped on Rick Nash' shoe. Chuck replied, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Rick Nash!" The mere mention of his name cured this man blindness. Sadly the first, last, and only thing this man ever saw, was a fatal roundhouse delivered by Rick Nash.

**Stolen from the Chuck Norris jokes - hence why "Chuck" appears.

Oh and Stugots, please do not take this post literally. How was the beach, yesterday, Pizza?
Very nice. Thank you.

Old
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Then forget the intangibles and stick to the math.
The only math I know is Rick Nash scores 30 in 18 minutes a night while Dubinsky and Anisimov or Dubinsky and Hagelin score 26 in a combined 30+ minutes a night.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:19 PM
BBKers

Quote:
The only math I know is Rick Nash scores 30 in 18 minutes a night while Dubinsky and Anisimov or Dubinsky and Hagelin score 26 in a combined 30+ minutes a night.
Depends on what Hagelins replacement nets then though - no? And the cost?

Old
07-10-2012, 03:21 PM
drewcon40

If Howson "throws in" Ryan Johansen I may feel better about some of the pieces going the other way.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:21 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Very tough trade market everywhere

Quote:
As for the potential for adding another defenseman before training camp, general manager Doug Armstrong won't make a deal just to make a deal. The free-agent marketplace got out of hand and now teams are asking excessive trade packages for D-men.

For the moment, young defenseman Ian Cole is a very important man in the organization.
Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...#ixzz20FkRwQp8

Trading for a D is next to impossible and they cost a fortune in free agency which is why the Rangers draft D and trade for prospect D(McDonagh/Erixon).

Old
07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Rick Nash poses a matchup problem. He's big and talented. Players like him open up room down the lineup and on the ice because teams need to key in on him. Creating mismatches is a big advantage.
That is a very good point. No argument there.

My only counter point would be that we have some very solid match up problems for opponents this year and in the pipe line very soon to be roster players.

If we stand pat for now I think very soon we see a combination of Kreider, Miller and one or two others that will give our rivals fits. These are potentially the people we would have to give up to get Nash.

As someone else said, perhaps it's a matter of getting two good kicks at the can now versus being solidly competitive long term.

I prefer the latter.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Depends on what Hagelins replacement nets then though - no? And the cost?
Yes, but it's hard to say who the replacement could be, is it Miller? That's a pretty lofty expectation for the kid but maybe he cracks the roster. My guess is he doesn't, but then you could also play Boyle as 3LW if say Anisimov is the one that remains a Ranger. So who knows on Boyle he's all over the place but I think he'd do much better on that 3rd line LW spot, also Anisimov with Boyle and Pyatt as the 3rd line opens up a bunch of space for that kid. Which is what he needs to produce.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Good point.

Except for the fact that you had at least one player who had a very off year and another who was a rookie.

I think all three of these guys have a solid chance to bounce back, improve and add to what is already solid chemistry and culture.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:30 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Yes, but it's hard to say who the replacement could be, is it Miller? That's a pretty lofty expectation for the kid but maybe he cracks the roster. My guess is he doesn't, but then you could also play Boyle as 3LW if say Anisimov is the one that remains a Ranger. So who knows on Boyle he's all over the place but I think he'd do much better on that 3rd line LW spot, also Anisimov with Boyle and Pyatt as the 3rd line opens up a bunch of space for that kid. Which is what he needs to produce.
Agreed tha Anisimov fares well with big line mates. If Boyle does due time with "Barbara Underhill" this summer, then yes, a 3rd line of Boyle - AA - Pyatt might work. Rupp - Halpern - Asham is however not an optimal 4 th line getting more than 3 shifts a period, at most...would rather have Boyle centering 4 th line with Halpern/asham alternating with Rupp on the 4th line. We need then to add one top 9 player to what we now have, more if we do a 2 for one with a bigger name. Nothing is easy I seems

Old
07-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Good point.

Except for the fact that you had at least one player who had a very off year and another who was a rookie.

I think all three of these guys have a solid chance to bounce back, improve and add to what is already solid chemistry and culture.
Perhaps, not going to argue that. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong or anything along those lines either. It's all speculation, we could trade two guys and they could go on to score 30 every year on the Jackets. Doubtful but possible. Nash could score 15, who knows.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Very tough trade market everywhere

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...#ixzz20FkRwQp8

Trading for a D is next to impossible and they cost a fortune in free agency which is why the Rangers draft D and trade for prospect D(McDonagh/Erixon).
So, I guess our need for a RHD triggerman for the PP won't get addressed through trade/free agency. Looks like it will have to be done in house.

I guess another approach would be for Sather to talk with Torts in bringing in another assistant to help run the PP.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
So, I guess our need for a RHD triggerman for the PP won't get addressed through trade/free agency. Looks like it will have to be done in house.
VALATENKO

Old
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Perhaps, not going to argue that. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong or anything along those lines either. It's all speculation, we could trade two guys and they could go on to score 30 every year on the Jackets. Doubtful but possible. Nash could score 15, who knows.
If we trade Dubi plus AA/Hagelin for Nash and our 2 players consistently net 60 goals in Ohio whilst Nash scores a mere 15 in NYC - only then do I think Sather will be out of a job...

Old
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
VALATENKO
If V tank can't get into the lineup over Stu Bickel, he never will.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
If V tank can't get into the lineup over Stu Bickel, he never will.
notice the

Old
07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Pizza

Quote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ure_nhl_teams/

Market Crash on Nash

As the market crowds with players like Doan, Morrow, Bobby Ryan, it makes Columbus GM Scott Howson's quest to hit a home run with Rick Nash much less likely.

The one word that no one uses about Nash -- that they do about Doan and Morrow -- is leadership. It's impossible to see the leader in a captain that has never led the Blue Jackets anywhere.

We know -- the roster has been weak. It may not be Nash's fault, but it is his problem. Couple that with the price Howson is asking and most contenders are saying "not worth it."

Having this many options in the marketplace is killing Howson, and pushing him towards what could be his biggest bluff: That Nash could start the season in Columbus.
They make some of the same points many of us have. A lot of folks do not see Nash as a leader. Aside form that, this is why I think Sather potentially has Howson in a choke hold. I don't believe Howson can afford to go into the next season with a player, much less the teams Captain publicly wanting out.

He would have to get Nash to state that he's OK being a Jacket. Don't think it happens.

Sather in the drivers seat, imo.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
They make some of the same points many of us have. A lot of folks do not see Nash as a leader. Aside form that, this is why I think Sather potentially has Howson in a choke hold. I don't believe Howson can afford to go into the next season with a player, much less the teams Captain publicly wanting out.

He would have to get Nash to state that he's OK being a Jacket. Don't think it happens.

Sather in the drivers seat, imo.
It doesn't matter. Rational thinking is no longer being used anymore for Howson. This is turning into a pride issue. He would keep Nash out of spite. Nash could expand his list and Howson trades him for a significant lesser package to a team other than the Rangers.

Craig Patrick is still involved in all this. Don't be surprised if that turns out to be the case.

Nash may only be traded when ownership forces it to get done.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Levitate

Yeah, Nash has been part of the problem in Columbus. Not all his fault of course...he hasn't known any other team or culture at the NHL level. But when Vinny Prospal gets to Columbus and says "what the hell are you guys doing, no one works hard in practice, no one approaches this like "we have to work hard now so that it will translate to effort during games"", then you definitely have to question the leadership of Nash.

All that said, the Rangers wouldn't be looking to him for any leadership. They have plenty, he'd just be asked to score goals.

But it does make the claims about how Nash is so important and Columbus' franchise player and they HAVE to get a massive return for him because he's so important, rather laughable.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Pizza

Quote:
It doesn't matter. Rational thinking is no longer being used anymore for Howson. This is turning into a pride issue. He would keep Nash out of spite. Nash could expand his list and Howson trades him for a significant lesser package to a team other than the Rangers.

Craig Patrick is still involved in all this. Don't be surprised if that turns out to be the case.

Nash may only be traded when ownership forces it to get done.
Ahhh yes. There is that. Very good point. We shall see.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

*skims the last few pages to see if Nash been traded.......nope. leaves thread/board*

Closed Thread