HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Jason Demers (Mod: Defensive Pairing Question)

Old
07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

vCash: 500
Jason Demers (Mod: Defensive Pairing Question)

Hey Sharks fans, just wondering what pairing you guys think Demers will play on this season?

Also, do you guys think he has top 4 potential?

Last edited by slocal: 07-05-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Most peoples mocks have him 3rd pair or 7th dman.

I believe he has top 4 potential, but he's stuck behind Boyle and Burns on the rightside.

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
he'll be part of a package heading out ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Thanks for the responses guys.

Good luck to the Sharks this year btw, always liked Joe when he was a Bruin.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Demers had a rough season last year, but he, in my opinion, is destined to be a #3,4 TWD.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

Good luck to the Sharks this year btw, always liked Joe when he was a Bruin.
Thanks.

Think Demers is going to be in the bottom pairing for us this year. Might get traded as part of a package as well.

07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
I would be sad if he was traded ~ that should tell you all you need to know.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

For what it's worth, a bottom pairing of Murray - Demers or Braun - Demers is a really damn good bottom pairing compared to what we've had in years past.

Anyone remember Huskins, Wallin, Semenov, etc?

Watching our D this year is one of the parts of this team I am looking forward to. If we suck, at least I can look forward to Stuart and Murray laying people out. I thought White was going to do that last year - boy did he underwhelm there - as well as pretty much every category.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Most people here think he is going to be traded, but I firmly disagree.

DW signed Demers to his current extension before that season started and when he did DW said

"Jason's puck-moving capabilities and competitive nature fit well with where our team is trending"
"He is very capable of executing the up-tempo style of game we want to play and we see him as an important part of our team"
"A perfect fit for the Sharks with his puck moving capabilities and competitiveness"
"We expect Jason to be the future of our 1st PP unit after Dan Boyle"

Braun does NOT make Demers expendable by ANY stretch. You only need to look at the highlights to determine that.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
freddypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Most people here think he is going to be traded, but I firmly disagree.

DW signed Demers to his current extension before that season started and when he did DW said

"Jason's puck-moving capabilities and competitive nature fit well with where our team is trending"
"He is very capable of executing the up-tempo style of game we want to play and we see him as an important part of our team"
"A perfect fit for the Sharks with his puck moving capabilities and competitiveness"
"We expect Jason to be the future of our 1st PP unit after Dan Boyle"

Braun does NOT make Demers expendable by ANY stretch. You only need to look at the highlights to determine that.

Wow great write up , I agree totally with you , Braun is not better then Demers period, I saw that at the worlds,,,

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

I really hope that both Braun and Demers are on this team to start next year. They are both only going to get better, and I fully expect Demers to again reach the level of play he was at before the high-ankle sprain in the playoffs two seasons ago.

Unless a top-flight d-man is coming back in return (Weber) I am not gonna be a happy camper if he is moved out for Nash or similar.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctord View Post
Wow great write up , I agree totally with you , Braun is not better then Demers period, I saw that at the worlds,,,
Because that small of a sample size can give you an accurate assessment right? Braun was easily better than Demers this regular season. In the post-season, I'd give Demers a slight edge.

Demers and Braun both have Top-4 potential, with Demers resembling a poor man's Dan Boyle while Braun resembles a poor man's Duncan Keith. I'm giving Demers a slight pass for his troubles last season because he was recovering from a high ankle sprain in the off-season and couldn't train as much.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Because that small of a sample size can give you an accurate assessment right? Braun was easily better than Demers this regular season. In the post-season, I'd give Demers a slight edge.

Demers and Braun both have Top-4 potential, with Demers resembling a poor man's Dan Boyle while Braun resembles a poor man's Duncan Keith. I'm giving Demers a slight pass for his troubles last season because he was recovering from a high ankle sprain in the off-season and couldn't train as much.
Braun reminds me of Seidenberg but not nearly as physical.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:14 PM
CupfortheSharks

The Sharks have a great top 7 D right now with Boyle, Burns, Vlassic, Stuart, Murray, Braun, Demers.

The Sharks top 9 forwards with Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Havlet, Clowe, Handzus and 2 of Wingles/Galiardi/Sheppard needs help.

Unless DW lands one of the few wingers left on the UFA market, trading D for a winger makes lots of sense. Demers should either play 3rd pairing RW next season or be traded for help on the wings.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Herschel

Unless DW goes big in the trade market (Nash style) I suspect we will see both Braun and Demers in the lineup going into the season.

IMO one the reasons Robinson is such a great higher is that he should be able to accurately determine how good both these kids are and assist in their development.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
The Sharks have a great top 7 D right now with Boyle, Burns, Vlassic, Stuart, Murray, Braun, Demers.

The Sharks top 9 forwards with Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Havlet, Clowe, Handzus and 2 of Wingles/Galiardi/Sheppard needs help.

Unless DW lands one of the few wingers left on the UFA market, trading D for a winger makes lots of sense. Demers should either play 3rd pairing RW next season or be traded for help on the wings.
We need at lest 1 winger, i think 2. I agree Demers/Murray are trade bait if there is a deal to be made to get the wingers. I also think Handzus needs to be dumped in the deal or released.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Trojan35

Sharks have too much $ at D right now for the level of performance they're getting offensively (and somewhat defensively too).

Someone on D will be shipped out, and the only one that probably isn't touchable is Burns.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Sharks have too much $ at D right now for the level of performance they're getting offensively (and somewhat defensively too).

Someone on D will be shipped out, and the only one that probably isn't touchable is Burns.
Our defense (with White instead of Stuart) allowed a whole two more 5v5 goals last year than the stifling defense of the Rangers, who were backstopped by the Vezina trophy winner; We get plenty of bang for our buck in the defense department. I do agree on offense, though, we need more for the money we are shelling out.

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:31 PM
murdock1116

If we can keep both Braun and Demers it would be worth it. Even if that means one of them is the odd man out this current season.

But the RD position for the Sharks looks great for the future when Boyle moves on. Burns/Demers/Braun

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

If Boyle and Murray are back together, I'm guessing Stuart will spend time with both Demers and Braun.

Stuart will be a good mentor for Demers. When he came up, he could play physically but didn't. He could carry the puck but didn't handle it well enough to be a good PP QB. His foot work wasn't developed and defensively he would give too much ice to players to compensate for being a little weak there.

Demers has more upside than Steuy IMO but they are similar in their games at similar points in their careers. If Demers can get his skating together and be more physical on a consistent basis, he is a top 4 defenseman. If he can't get better defensively, he is on the bench.