HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jeff Beukeboom returns to NYR organization

Old
07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Fear of what? He could only hit you if you were not moving.

Although, I must thank you for teaching me hockey.
My pleasure.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Edge

Quote:
I disagree, especially with your last stated opinion. Very often, opinions considered as at an extreme, are quite accurate, whether the topic is sports, politics, or on any topic.

Especially in science.
LOL, oh how I've missed you.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:06 PM
chosen

You shouldn't have stopped calling.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
My pleasure.

Thats a great clip to back up your point, a hit on noted speedster Eric Weinrich.

I dont think Beuk was a pylon or anything, but he had some mobility issues and questionable hockey sense. As someone else put it, time has been kind to his Ranger legacy.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Edge

Quote:
You shouldn't have stopped calling.

Shhh. We promised we'd never fight in front of the children.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

EDIT: off topic and not worth pursuing.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:12 PM
No Fehr

Beukeboom is one of my all time favorite D-men. Anytime I got to pick my own number in hockey it was 23.
He was not the most mobile D but back then you didn't need to be. He irritated his opponents and left a few on the ice. He was one of the best in front of his own net. When #2 would get caught he was known to brake-up a 2-1. He was a good team guy.
His handling of the puck was not good. He like most big D-man had a hard time with small speedy forwards. No transition game.
I'm very happy he is back with the NYR

No Fehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Leetch66

Beukeboom was a great guy even as a kid . I met him back in or around 1981 when he was playing Tier 2 in Newmarket Ontario . I worked at a local store and Beuk was in quite a bit for some colas and such...he was about 15-16 and a big kid too but very quiet and friendly . I attended a lot of the games...and there was a lot of wild finishes in some of those games . Tier 2 hockey in Canada in the 80's was quite the event on the weekends...usually always a brawl at some point over a weekend .

One Friday night the game was out of reach and we had been yapping at the tough guys on the visiting team and before we knew it...they were pulling a Milbury on us and were climbing into the stands . We made a mad scramble to the back doors and booted it out of there . LOL...I still remember Beuk coming across the ice and hauling a guy off the glass . They were fun times back then...Junior hockey is just not as exciting as it used to be...much like the NHL . The purists and figure skaters have won the battle . Unfortunately....Beuk would be a dinosaur in the game today .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:12 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Beukeboom was a great guy even as a kid . I met him back in or around 1981 when he was playing Tier 2 in Newmarket Ontario . I worked at a local store and Beuk was in quite a bit for some colas and such...he was about 15-16 and a big kid too but very quiet and friendly . I attended a lot of the games...and there was a lot of wild finishes in some of those games . Tier 2 hockey in Canada in the 80's was quite the event on the weekends...usually always a brawl at some point over a weekend .

One Friday night the game was out of reach and we had been yapping at the tough guys on the visiting team and before we knew it...they were pulling a Milbury on us and were climbing into the stands . We made a mad scramble to the back doors and booted it out of there . LOL...I still remember Beuk coming across the ice and hauling a guy off the glass . They were fun times back then...Junior hockey is just not as exciting as it used to be...much like the NHL . The purists and figure skaters have won the battle . Unfortunately....Beuk would be a dinosaur in the game today .
None of this can matter, don't you know? It has already been proven by cranky posters ahead of you that Beuk does not matter, and that he is of no value to the new, modern New York Rangers.

Of course he would be out of it today. Isn't that a given? Scott Stevens wouldn't survive today either, nor would Guy LaPointe or Serge Savard, or maybe even, daresay, Bobby Orr (though I still think the best hockey player ever would adapt).
Like you say, in the days when Beuk played, Beukeboom really did matter.

Screw all the cranky old farts who want to bicker and do revisionist history.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:40 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
None of this can matter, don't you know? It has already been proven by cranky posters ahead of you that Beuk does not matter, and that he is of no value to the new, modern New York Rangers.

Of course he would be out of it today. Isn't that a given? Scott Stevens wouldn't survive today either, nor would Guy LaPointe or Serge Savard, or maybe even, daresay, Bobby Orr (though I still think the best hockey player ever would adapt).
Like you say, in the days when Beuk played, Beukeboom really did matter.

Screw all the cranky old farts who want to bicker and do revisionist history.
Yes Beuk has always been held in similar regard to Stevens, Lapointe, Savard, and Bobby Orr. Keen observations.

But those who regard Beuk as at best an average dman are the ones practicing revisionist history.

By the way, if you think Scott Stevens could not play today, you should stop attempting to share your hockey knwledge.

Last edited by chosen: 07-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old
07-13-2012, 09:02 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sent: Jul 13, 2012 9:52a

Beukeboom: "My job is to work with all the kids & prepare them for the next step, but working with (Dylan McIlrath) will be a focus of mine"

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/223776893382569984

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:12 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Jul 13, 2012 9:52a

Beukeboom: "My job is to work with all the kids & prepare them for the next step, but working with (Dylan McIlrath) will be a focus of mine"

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/223776893382569984
Just saw that too. That has me really excited. For starters it shows a big reason why they approached Jeff for the job and how high they are on Dylan that they brought Jeff in to show exactly what type of game they want him to play.

This move is a great step in the progression and develoment stage for dylan this season. Props to management on this move.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
NYR Viper

It's a great hiring. Beuk is a great guy and his knowledge for the defensive game is very good. Very good signing.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

He's plenty tough so you don't have to 'teach' that.

Good thing they brought someone in to teach this kid, this year is crucial. Normally I'd be worried they brought someone in specifically to work with one player, but considering the type of player it makes sense.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He's plenty tough so you don't have to 'teach' that.

Good thing they brought someone in to teach this kid, this year is crucial. Normally I'd be worried they brought someone in specifically to work with one player, but considering the type of player it makes sense.
Plus thats hard to teach anyway, your either born with that or not

He will definitely help him out though when, and which types of situations when to push the envelope a bit and when to hold back. Among a ton of other things he will help him with.

Again, thrilled with this and how huge i think it is for the young mans development.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

One thing that made Beuke a great player was his ability to change the game with his physical play. It's one thing to go out there and be a wrecking ball, it's quite another to pick the right time to make an impact. Anybody can throw a body check, or get into a fight, but not many people could swing the momentum with a single play as much as Beuke could.

They're grooming McIlrath to be a 20+ minute shutdown presence that can make life miserable for opposing forwards. Hard to do that when you're taking stupid penalties and spending 4-10 minutes per game in the box. Dylan is as guilty as anyone of taking some unnecessary penalties.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

McIlrath shoots right-handed. 34% of the D in the NHL are righties. He's big,tough and he can play. Those players are impossible to find.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
McIlrath shoots right-handed. 34% of the D in the NHL are righties. He's big,tough and he can play. Those players are impossible to find.
"Those players are impossible to find" is the common reasoning used for drafting players like McIlrath with high picks. Doesn't work out as intended very often. Just how well he can play is still yet to be determined. Obviously, Beukeboom will hopefully play a big role in determining it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
One thing that made Beuke a great player was his ability to change the game with his physical play. It's one thing to go out there and be a wrecking ball, it's quite another to pick the right time to make an impact. Anybody can throw a body check, or get into a fight, but not many people could swing the momentum with a single play as much as Beuke could.

They're grooming McIlrath to be a 20+ minute shutdown presence that can make life miserable for opposing forwards. Hard to do that when you're taking stupid penalties and spending 4-10 minutes per game in the box. Dylan is as guilty as anyone of taking some unnecessary penalties.
Well said, and its really not all about being to tough, some of his penalties were him just going to throw hits cause of impatience. Little junior forwards stayed away from him and he was guilty of getting too antsy. And when some brainiac junior player did challenge DM he was flattened. But lets remember, Vets of the Pro game won't take that bait and will out wait him and make him move first, the forwards he's gonna see are far from what he saw in the WHL. Like I said, this is his first full Pro season, I can't imagine any other year being more crucial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
"Those players are impossible to find" is the common reasoning used for drafting players like McIlrath with high picks. Doesn't work out as intended very often. Just how well he can play is still yet to be determined. Obviously, Beukeboom will hopefully play a big role in determining it.
'Impossible to find', like reality on these boards in the month of July

Old
07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Well said, and its really not all about being to tough, some of his penalties were him just going to throw hits cause of impatience. Little junior forwards stayed away from him and he was guilty of getting too antsy. And when some brainiac junior player did challenge DM he was flattened. But lets remember, Vets of the Pro game won't take that bait and will out wait him and make him move first, the forwards he's gonna see are far from what he saw in the WHL. Like I said, this is his first full Pro season, I can't imagine any other year being more crucial.
I agree that this year is very important for his development. Like you said, it's one thing to intimidate 17 and 18 year olds, it's quite another to match up against men who may be just as big as he is. I think that transition period is what flattens the development curve of kids like McIlrath. They never learn how to be effective pro's. Beuke should have a very positive impact on Dylan, and is a great fit in terms of showing him how to pick his spots. You don't want him out there fighting Steve McIntyre to try and prove himself. You want him to learn to play the game.

Tremendous raw tools, great head on his shoulders and a willingness to be coached. He's a special combination of potential and I hope people are patient with him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I can totally understand his frustrations at that level too. Imagine being that big and menacing and not having nearly enough physical competition, going on 4 seasons of the WHL.

Think about it if he was from Europe, Euro leagues would have had him playing against men most likely in the top tier. Not sure that he would have benefited from that, but he'd have been matched up against something more challenging and typical of the Pros here.

Another underrated part of Beuk was avoiding some bad penalties other big men get called for on the regular. For a guy his size playing that way he rarely got called for lazy or undisciplined minors, and most of his majors were in some way justified.

Man, ****in Matt Johnson, ruined the end of a great warriors career.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
No Fehr

Quote:
Yes Beuk has always been held in similar regard to Stevens, Lapointe, Savard, and Bobby Orr. Keen observations.

But those who regard Beuk as at best an average dman are the ones practicing revisionist history.

By the way, if you think Scott Stevens could not play today, you should stop attempting to share your hockey knwledge.
Do you really think Stevens would be that effective in todays game? In todays game you need to be a Niedermayer or a Lidstrom type D to be effective. Stevens did not have the O/skating in his game like a Pronger to make it in todays game not that he tried but the days of Stevens/Hatcher type players are over for now. Although I think Ludwig would have had a spot on this Rangers teem.
You also missed his point and that is you really can not compare different time periods because the training and equipment is ever evolving. If Stevens was trained so that he was a 27yo this year then maybe he would have focused more on his skating and mobility and been the same force he was in the 90s but taking his exact game and putting him on the ice now he would not have the same impact. Same for any of those players.
PS your smoking crack about how Beukeboom was not that good back in the day. #2 and#23 that was one of the best D pairing in the 90's. Stevens Niedermayer pair was probably the best or anyone and Lidstrom.

No Fehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:52 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk shake View Post
Do you really think Stevens would be that effective in todays game? In todays game you need to be a Niedermayer or a Lidstrom type D to be effective. Stevens did not have the O/skating in his game like a Pronger to make it in todays game not that he tried but the days of Stevens/Hatcher type players are over for now. Although I think Ludwig would have had a spot on this Rangers teem.
You also missed his point and that is you really can not compare different time periods because the training and equipment is ever evolving. If Stevens was trained so that he was a 27yo this year then maybe he would have focused more on his skating and mobility and been the same force he was in the 90s but taking his exact game and putting him on the ice now he would not have the same impact. Same for any of those players.
PS your smoking crack about how Beukeboom was not that good back in the day. #2 and#23 that was one of the best D pairing in the 90's. Stevens Niedermayer pair was probably the best or anyone and Lidstrom.
Not only do I think Stevens would have been effective in today's game, I have zero doubt that he would be one of the top dmen around, bar none. That you would compare Stevens to Hatcher is embarrassing.

It would seem to me that crack smoking would be more in your realm for your opinion on Stevens.

Would love to hear from others here about their thoughts on how Stevens would fare today. I'm guessing that you would be overwhelmed by just how wrong you are are on this one. Edge, where are you now?

Leetch and anyone would have been a great pairing. What you fail to understand is the reason why.

The following is from a blog post trumpeting the plusses of Beuk:

"Beukeboom had little offensive upside and although he was a good skater, he certainly wasn't the swiftest guy out there. Beukeboom would often let Leetch clear the puck out of their zone as Beukeboom's lack of skills and creativity limited him to simple dumping the puck into the neutral zone.

Beukeboom also seemed to have a knack of getting caught on bad pinches from the point. If he failed to keep the puck in on a pinch attempt and the opposition squeezed the puck off the boards and behind him, Jeff would be caught out of position and lacked the speed to catch up to the ensuing odd man rush against."

Ever heard anything like that about Stevens?

Old
07-14-2012, 06:17 AM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk shake View Post
Um, you may wanna check out Stevens early seasons if you think he had no offensive skill. He switched to a much more defensive style with the devils

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Not only do I think Stevens would have been effective in today's game, I have zero doubt that he would be one of the top dmen around, bar none. That you would compare Stevens to Hatcher is embarrassing.

It would seem to me that crack smoking would be more in your realm for your opinion on Stevens.

Would love to hear from others here about their thoughts on how Stevens would fare today. I'm guessing that you would be overwhelmed by just how wrong you are are on this one. Edge, where are you now?

Leetch and anyone would have been a great pairing. What you fail to understand is the reason why.

The following is from a blog post trumpeting the plusses of Beuk:

"Beukeboom had little offensive upside and although he was a good skater, he certainly wasn't the swiftest guy out there. Beukeboom would often let Leetch clear the puck out of their zone as Beukeboom's lack of skills and creativity limited him to simple dumping the puck into the neutral zone.

Beukeboom also seemed to have a knack of getting caught on bad pinches from the point. If he failed to keep the puck in on a pinch attempt and the opposition squeezed the puck off the boards and behind him, Jeff would be caught out of position and lacked the speed to catch up to the ensuing odd man rush against."

Ever heard anything like that about Stevens?
Glad to see Mr. know it all is back and taking his usual combatitive approach.

Buekeboom was far from great but he was great for us.

This is from Leetch:

He spent nine years teamed with Beukeboom on the New York Rangers blue-line and knew the defensive end would be taken care of while he attacked. Though they were polar opposites as players, they were an ideal match.

"He was big and tough, that helped me out a lot number one," said Leetch. "He was not going to go very far into a zone ever, he might pinch down the boards to do a big hit but if I was rushing the puck, I knew there was going to be one guy back.

"He was excellent at delaying, buying time for backcheckers and me to get back in the play, and he played tough in front of the net. There were never guys stationed there for very long."

But was does Leetch know, right, you say Beukeboom sucks so every must obey or you will sit there for an hour to come up with some tired agrument.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote